PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:46 pm      Post subject: Re: translation request

mhofmann wrote:
May I please have a translation of these three records? Many thanks!

Hi,

Here is a translation of one of the three records. The others will follow as time permits.

Dave

1805 death Antoni Bińkowski

Left Column: (Village of) Łebki Wielkie
Next three columns: Without seeing the headings it is not possible to determine the meaning of the numbers.
Body of Entry: In the same year on the 19th day of the month of October at the hour of 12 Noon the Noble* Antoni Bińkowski died, the husband of the Noble* Rozalia nee Kownacka Bińkowska, the father of two sons, namely Jakub and Stanisław, and three daughters, namely Cecylia, the consort of the upright** Piotr Prusinowski, table/furniture maker***, Teofilia, the wife of the upright** Antoni Bucholski(?), a soldier, & Konstacja, a maiden; about 78 years of age; death due to the illness of dropsy/hydrops/edema**** and old age; fortified by the Sacraments of those about to die*****; buried in the cemetery.

Notes: *Nobilis/Noble: designates the owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land.
**honestus/upright: usually designates a farmer from a village or small town.
***the word mensifaber does not appear in any Classical or Post-Classical Latin Dictionary including Lexicon Mediae et Infimae Latinitatis Polonorum, the most comprehensive dictionary of Latin as used in Poland from the Xth Century through the XVIth Century. Thus, the translation is only an educated guess.
****hydrops/dropsy/edema: a disease which causes fluids to build up in tissues and/or body cavities.
*****Sacramenta Moribundorum/Sacraments of those about to die: Confession, Communion under the title of Viaticum, Extreme Unction (now Anointing of the sick). Taken together they usually were called “The Last Rites”.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Szukajwarchiwach Site

larodkey wrote:
Hi Dave, thank again for all your help. Was just looking at that website which you pulled the civil marriage record from. Not sure how you found that record. (nice find by the way) I tried from scratch and could not duplicate your efforts. I was hoping I could maybe find a few more documents about either Andreas or his father Gottlieb (Theophilus) from that site. I put in the name Radke could not find the record you found. Can you give me a few tips on how to navigate the site (if possible). There seems to be a lot of information there and possibly hoping to see if I can find some sort of census showing either Andreas or Gottlieb siblings or family members. I assuming you must of used year of marriage and came across Andreas civil marriage record and not used Radke in the search field???

Hi Larry,

The archive site is searchable by location name rather than the name of an individual person. The way I located the record was by taking info from the Latin marriage record and using the location name to search the archive site. Once the search brought up the correct place then I clicked on records for the proper year and did a quick guess of a likely image for the record. Since the Latin marriage record was #12 for the year, I counted the images and clicked on the 12th one. It was necessary to click on a few records after #12 since the civil registry office did not just record Catholic parish records and the civil record was #17. As a side note, often the civil registry office was not in the same village where the Catholic parish was located.

A quick tip…when searching on the archive site I usually start with the most general (all records) and then refine the search using the sidebar and search only for those records with scans. All records is a good place to start to get an overview of everything available but in order to view records which have no scans it would be necessary to either contact the archive or check the availability of those records on a site like Family Search.

When searching for records you want to use all the various resources available. Some other good ones are http://poznan-project.psnc.pl/ and http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/ as well as BASIA http://www.basia.famula.pl/en/ which is where the scans of the records of Marianna and Theodor Radke come from. I’ll leave it for you to connect to the actual records---good practice. Those records are in German but most of the basic important data can be understood without being able to read German. (The column headings in German are the same as in Latin records from that time and place.)

It appears that Gottlieb and Rozalia moved around from parish to parish during their married life. This would not have been unusual in that place and time. After Bismarck, the chancellor of the newly united German state instituted the policy of Kulturkamphf (from 1871 to 1878) it became more difficult for Poles and for Catholics to find employment. This led to the period of emigration from German Poland (1870-1890), an emigration which was popularly known as “za chlebem” (“for bread”). Gottlieb and Rozalia got hit by a double whammy since they were both Polish and Catholic so it is very possible that their moves were in search of work.

Anyway, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Dave

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.72 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

larodkey

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:28 am      Post subject: Re: Szukajwarchiwach Site

dnowicki wrote:
larodkey wrote:
Hi Dave, thank again for all your help. Was just looking at that website which you pulled the civil marriage record from. Not sure how you found that record. (nice find by the way) I tried from scratch and could not duplicate your efforts. I was hoping I could maybe find a few more documents about either Andreas or his father Gottlieb (Theophilus) from that site. I put in the name Radke could not find the record you found. Can you give me a few tips on how to navigate the site (if possible). There seems to be a lot of information there and possibly hoping to see if I can find some sort of census showing either Andreas or Gottlieb siblings or family members. I assuming you must of used year of marriage and came across Andreas civil marriage record and not used Radke in the search field???

Hi Larry,

The archive site is searchable by location name rather than the name of an individual person. The way I located the record was by taking info from the Latin marriage record and using the location name to search the archive site. Once the search brought up the correct place then I clicked on records for the proper year and did a quick guess of a likely image for the record. Since the Latin marriage record was #12 for the year, I counted the images and clicked on the 12th one. It was necessary to click on a few records after #12 since the civil registry office did not just record Catholic parish records and the civil record was #17. As a side note, often the civil registry office was not in the same village where the Catholic parish was located.

A quick tip…when searching on the archive site I usually start with the most general (all records) and then refine the search using the sidebar and search only for those records with scans. All records is a good place to start to get an overview of everything available but in order to view records which have no scans it would be necessary to either contact the archive or check the availability of those records on a site like Family Search.

When searching for records you want to use all the various resources available. Some other good ones are http://poznan-project.psnc.pl/ and http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/ as well as BASIA http://www.basia.famula.pl/en/ which is where the scans of the records of Marianna and Theodor Radke come from. I’ll leave it for you to connect to the actual records---good practice. Those records are in German but most of the basic important data can be understood without being able to read German. (The column headings in German are the same as in Latin records from that time and place.)

It appears that Gottlieb and Rozalia moved around from parish to parish during their married life. This would not have been unusual in that place and time. After Bismarck, the chancellor of the newly united German state instituted the policy of Kulturkamphf (from 1871 to 1878) it became more difficult for Poles and for Catholics to find employment. This led to the period of emigration from German Poland (1870-1890), an emigration which was popularly known as “za chlebem” (“for bread”). Gottlieb and Rozalia got hit by a double whammy since they were both Polish and Catholic so it is very possible that their moves were in search of work.

Anyway, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Dave

Awesome....I appreciated the feedback and looking forward to exploring the websites you suggested. Of course I am going to have more questions. Ha Ha. But I will lay low for awhile, seeing what I can come up with my research.

Thanks again You have been a tremendous help!

mhofmann

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:51 am      Post subject: Re: translation request

dnowicki wrote:
mhofmann wrote:

Hi,

Here is a translation of one of the three records. The others will follow as time permits.

Dave

1805 death Antoni Bińkowski

Next three columns: Without seeing the headings it is not possible to determine the meaning of the numbers.
Body of Entry: In the same year on the 19th day of the month of October at the hour of 12 Noon the Noble* Antoni Bińkowski died, the husband of the Noble* Rozalia nee Kownacka Bińkowska, the father of two sons, namely Jakub and Stanisław, and three daughters, namely Cecylia, the consort of the upright** Piotr Prusinowski, table/furniture maker***, Teofilia, the wife of the upright** Antoni Bucholski(?), a soldier, & Konstacja, a maiden; about 78 years of age; death due to the illness of dropsy/hydrops/edema**** and old age; fortified by the Sacraments of those about to die*****; buried in the cemetery.

Notes: *Nobilis/Noble: designates the owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land.
**honestus/upright: usually designates a farmer from a village or small town.
***the word mensifaber does not appear in any Classical or Post-Classical Latin Dictionary including Lexicon Mediae et Infimae Latinitatis Polonorum, the most comprehensive dictionary of Latin as used in Poland from the Xth Century through the XVIth Century. Thus, the translation is only an educated guess.
****hydrops/dropsy/edema: a disease which causes fluids to build up in tissues and/or body cavities.
*****Sacramenta Moribundorum/Sacraments of those about to die: Confession, Communion under the title of Viaticum, Extreme Unction (now Anointing of the sick). Taken together they usually were called “The Last Rites”.

Oh! This is wonderful! Thank you very kindly for this translation and for taking the time to add the additional explanatory information. This is so helpful to me. In later records that I have for Piotr (which are in Polish), his occupation is given as "stolarz" which I believe translates to cabinet-maker, so your "educated guess" seems to be quite accurate. I apologize for not attaching the column headings for the two columnar records. I have done that now. Thank you again for your fine work, Dave.

Mary

1806 Mathaeus Prusinowski death column headings.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.44 KB

1806 Mathaeus Prusinowski death column headings.jpg

1805 Antonius Binkowski death column headings.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.22 KB

1805 Antonius Binkowski death column headings.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:21 pm      Post subject: Re: translation request

mhofmann wrote:

Hi Mary,

Thanks for posting the column headings. As it turns out, the columns don’t really contain any information which is not known from the body of the entry. The first column gives the place of residence of the deceased. The next three columns are designed to checkoff basic data. The first of the three indicates that the death recorded was of a male. The next two columns are indicated as blank. (The second column is for deaths of females.)

It is good to know that Piotr’s occupation in later records is “stolarz” because that does indeed confirm what I wrote about the meaning of mensifaber. Stolarz can mean “cabinet maker” as well as the more basic contemporary meanings of the word which are joiner/carpenter. A joiner is a specialized highly skilled carpenter as opposed to a framing carpenter whose work is of a more general nature. It is often very helpful when considering 18th & 19th Century occupations in Polish to consult the two earliest and most comprehensive dictionaries of the Polish language---that of Samuel Bogumił Linde (1807-14) and the Słownik Warszawski(1900-27) as both those dictionaries define occupational words the way they were used prior to 1900. There we find stolarz defined as “rzemieślnik robiący z drzewa sprzęty, meble…” (“a craftsman making from wood implements, utensils, furniture...”). These are all tasks done by cabinetmakers, a distinct type of joiner. The work of a stolarz requires precision in the crafting and assembly of the wooden product. It seems to me that by simply defining the craftsman as a cabinetmaker the image which comes to mind in our times is of someone who makes cabinets which are more like the kitchen cabinets sold at the big box stores instead of handcrafted cabinets which are considered furniture. Hence my preference for furniture maker rather than cabinetmaker. Two places where it is possible to see the tools and techniques of joinery and of cabinet making as it was done in the 18th & 19th Centuries are episodes of the PBS series “The Woodwright’s Shop” with Roy Underhill and the furniture shop at Colonial Williamsburg. Here is a link to a youtube video of the Williamsburg site:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBc9KDgTag and here is a link to a shorter video: http://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/02/22/touring-the-colonial-williamsburg-shop Of course, the location is not Poland and the time is not identical but the tools and techniques would be very similar to those used by craftsmen in Poland. All this is far removed from the Latin text so perhaps a few words regarding how one goes about determining the meaning of Latin words which are not found in a dictionary might be helpful.
Latin ceased to be the vernacular of any national group by the third quarter of the first millennium but it survived as the language of scholarship, diplomacy, the Catholic Church, etc. New words were regularly being added and some of those words were used only in one geographical location. Thus, there is no one exhaustive lexicon of Post-Classical Latin. There are, however, several ways to form a rather accurate guess of the meaning of unknown words. One method is to determine the meaning through context in various examples of text where the word occurs---not a method which would work in this instance. Another method is to separate the word into its parts---the method used in these entries. The word is made up of two parts---mensi and faber. Faber is the easy part since it occurs frequently in Latin records. The basic meaning of faber is “maker”. Think of the English word “fabricate” which is derived from faber. To fabricate something is to make that thing and hence one who fabricates is a maker. The other part of the word is related to “mensa” which means a table and was used to designate the top part of an altar. A table or an altar is a piece of furniture and hence the educated guess that a mensifaber was a table maker or in more general terms…a furniture maker.

Anyway, here is the translation.

1806 Death Mateusz Prusinowski

Next 3 Columns: Col.1: Male: Checked; Next 2 Columns: Blank
Body of Entry: In the same year on the 9th day of the month of March at the hour of 10 at night the upright* Mateusz Prusinowski died, the husband of 4 wives, namely the upright* Franciszka Mikołajowna**, Maryanna Dęba, Noble Agnieszka Zebrowska, and Noble Maryanna Damipecka(?), who still lives; the father of two married sons, namely Andrzej, 45 years of age, and Piotr, a furniture/cabinet maker***, about 42 years of age; and 3 daughters, that is, Maryanna, Apolonia, and Maryanna, a maiden; 82 years of age; death due to the illness of old age; strengthened by the Sacraments of those about to die****; buried in the cemetery.

Notes: * cf. previous translation note
**the suffix -owna signifies “daughter of…” in this case---“daughter of Mikołaj”
*** cf. previous translation note
**** cf. previous translation note

Hope you find all this helpful and interesting.

Dave
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:55 am      Post subject: Siemiatkowska marriage

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could translate the marriage between Tomasz Jablonski and Marianna Siemiatkowski from 1822 #11, I think its on the 2 pages. I was hoping it gave parents names and maybe ages. Thanks in advance.
John

Marianna Siemiatkowska marriage 1822 #11-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB

Marianna Siemiatkowska marriage 1822 #11-2.jpg

Marianna Siemiatkowska marriage 1822 #11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB

Marianna Siemiatkowska marriage 1822 #11.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 am      Post subject: Re: translation request

mhofmann wrote:

Mary,

The part of the text which records significant data is rather short and is found at the beginning and at the end of the entry. The middle part of the entry provides no personal information and simply spells out some of the legal requirements for a valid Catholic marriage which ha been met.

Here is the translation of the third document you posted.

Dave

1794 Marriage Piotr Prusinowski

(Village of) Łebki Wielkie
On the 12th day of February I, the same as named previously, blessed the marriage between the upright* Piotr Prusinowski, a single young man of the parish of (illegible) and Cecylia Bienkowska, a maiden of the parish of Kraszewo (the next sentences deal with legalities, i.e. the announcement of banns, the granting of an indult, the discovery of no canonical impediments, etc. and the record then concludes as follows…) in the presence of the witnesses Stanisław (?)amięcki and Andrzej Prusinowski, and many others.

Note: *honestus/upright: an adjective usually used to describe a farmer from a small town or village. In these entries the priest appears to use it as an equivalent to famosus/famatus/renowned which is usually used to describe a middle-class craftsman
Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 pm      Post subject: Death Records

Hi Dave,

I have a couple of death records that I have partially translated, but need some help with the rest (As well as confirmation that what I translated is correct)

For the first one I have:

On the 26th day of February 1829 in Bady Rosalie Pisarska died from ? at the age of 67. She was born in Szembruk and is survived by her husband Jan and Pisarski and 3 daughters Catharine, Maryanna and Anna.

For the second one I have:

1831 (From earlier in page) in Gubiny the death of Simon Pokorski on 13 April at 10 pm. He was 33 years old he died from ? and was born in Gubiny? Surviving relatives are Jan Pisarski and…

As always, thank you for you assistance.

S Pokarski d 1831 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  219.36 KB

S Pokarski d 1831 2.png

R Pisarska d 1829.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  523.72 KB

R Pisarska d 1829.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:45 am      Post subject: Re: Siemiatkowska marriage

starkey76 wrote:
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could translate the marriage between Tomasz Jablonski and Marianna Siemiatkowski from 1822 #11, I think its on the 2 pages. I was hoping it gave parents names and maybe ages. Thanks in advance.
John

Hi John,

The images you posted are in Polish but I’ll translate the important info for you. They are two separate records of two distinct events. The shorter one, Marianna Siemiatkowska marriage 1822 #11.jpg, is a record of the posting of the banns and contains absolutely no info which is not found in the other record. The longer entry, Marianna Siemiatkowska marriage 1822 #11-2.jpg, is the record of the marriage. It is written in the verbose style of the transition period between the end of the Duchy of Warsaw and the fully implemented Congress Kingdom. The record does contain the info you hoped it would---ages (actual birthdays) of the bride & groom and the names of their parents.

Babice was part of the territory taken by Prussia in the 3rd Partition. The language of records in the Prussian territories was Latin so the records will be in Latin until 1808 when Napoleon created the Duchy of Warsaw as a result of his victories over Prussia and Russia. That year marks the beginning of records being kept in Polish in the Napoleonic long paragraph style. Civil transcripts for Babice are missing for the years 1806 & 1807---not an unusual situation due to the conflicts taking place in Europe during those years. This means that the birth & baptism record of the bride is not available from the National Archive. The groom’s birth & baptism record is available and is Latin. The scan is attached and the translation is included here. Birth & baptism records for siblings of the bride and the groom are indexed on Geneteka and those earlier than 1806 will be in Latin.

Here are the translations.

Hope they help you.

Dave

Marriage of Tomasz Jabłoński & Maryanna Siemiąkowska

Parish: Babice

Groom: Tomasz Jabłoński, Age 20
Born: Dec. 19, 1802 (Baptismal Record states that he was born on Dec. 18 & baptized on Dec. 19) in the village of Latchorzew, baptized in parish of Babice
Parents: Wojciech Jabłoński & Apolonia nee Woyciechowska (current spelling: Wojciechowska), both deceased, formerly farmers on a full farmstead (gospodarzy) in Latchorzew
Accompanied by: Marcin Woyciechowski, age 49, & Sebastian Woyciechowski, age 56

Bride: Maryanna Siemiątkowska, age 16
Born: October(? Handwriting is unclear) 5, 1806, baptized in parish of Babice
Parents: Błażej Siemiątkowski & Agnieszka nee Łuczecka, farmers on a full farmstead (gospodarzy) residing in the village of Latchorzew
Accompanied by: Her parents

Date of Wedding: October 30, 1822 in Babice
Witnesses: Błażej ????owski, age 37, farmer in Latchorzew; Jan Łuczecki, age 30, farmer on full farmstead in Babice; Bartolomej Z???, age 60, farmer; Wojciech Siemiątkowski, age 30, farmer (gospodarz) in Latchorzew

Parties named in record are all illiterate.

Birth & Baptism of Tomasz Jabłoński

Number 102 Laturzew (Latchorzew)
On the 19th day of December (1802) I, Klemens Peten(?), superior of Babice, baptized an infant by the name of Tomasz, born yesterday, the son of the legitimate marriage of the industrious* Wojciech and Apolonia Jabłoński. The sponsors were the industrious* Paweł Zalewski from Laturzew (Latchorzew) and Katarzyna, the wife of the industrious* Woycieski from the village of Wieruchowo.

Note: *laboriosus/industrious---an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.

b & b Tomasz Jablonski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.03 KB

b & b Tomasz Jablonski.JPG

starkey76

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:55 am      Post subject:

Dave,
Thank you for the translation. I get lost about which languages are which and the changes that occurred from early 1800's and beyond. The changes from Latin-Polish-Cyrillic are the biggest barrier I think to people finding clues. You guys are amazing.
John
starkey76

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:57 am      Post subject:

Dave,
Thank you for the translation. I get lost about which languages are which and the changes that occurred from early 1800's and beyond. The changes from Latin-Polish-Cyrillic are the biggest barrier I think to people finding clues. You guys are amazing.
John
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:18 am      Post subject: Re: Death Records

Mrudnik wrote:
Hi Dave,

I have a couple of death records that I have partially translated, but need some help with the rest (As well as confirmation that what I translated is correct)

For the first one I have:

On the 26th day of February 1829 in Bady Rosalie Pisarska died from ? at the age of 67. She was born in Szembruk and is survived by her husband Jan and Pisarski and 3 daughters Catharine, Maryanna and Anna.

As always, thank you for you assistance.

Michael,

You got most of the data from the records. Here are a few tweaks to what you wrote for the first record (death of Rozalia). There is no mention of where she was born.

Would it be possible for you to convert the second record to jpg and enhance the image so the writing would have better contrast and post it again? There are some words I can’t see clearly.

Thanks,

Dave

Death of Rozalia Pisarska

On the 26th day of February in Budy Rozalia Pisarska, a tenant, 67 years of age, died at the 2nd hour in the afternoon (2 p. m.) of the disease of consumption*. She was buried in Szembork on the 2nd of March. The informant (and survivor) was Jan Pisarski and three daughters: Katarzyna, Maryanna, (&) Anna.

Note: *suchoty is a Polish word for the disease of consumption, which also has the English name of tuberculosis.
jlcarras

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:01 pm      Post subject: Latin Marriage Record Translation

Hello,

Can you please translate this marriage record for me? Its from 1833.

Thank you so much!

Record from 1833 Kroscienko.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.39 KB

Record from 1833 Kroscienko.JPG

Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:00 am      Post subject: Re: Death Records

dnowicki wrote:

You got most of the data from the records. Here are a few tweaks to what you wrote for the first record (death of Rozalia). There is no mention of where she was born.

Would it be possible for you to convert the second record to jpg and enhance the image so the writing would have better contrast and post it again? There are some words I can’t see clearly.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the clarification of the first record. I have tried to enhance the second and have reattached it. Hopefully this one is better (I have been having the same issue with a lot of the records from Szembruk).

Mike

S Pokarski d 1831.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.33 KB

S Pokarski d 1831.jpg

larodkey

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:44 am      Post subject: Gottlieb (Bogumil) Radke Birth Certificate

Hi Dave,

I am trying to find a birth certificate or on my great grandfather Gottlieb/Theophil Radke. You provided a translation for me earlier which showed his marriage record stating he was 24 years old when he got married on October 12 1851 to Roszalia Nowacki in Biala.
I search on one of the website you recommended and was wondering if what is shown on the attached maybe what I was looking for. This name shows up as Bogumil (another name for Gottlieb?) But the year of birth around 1828 sounds about right. Thoughts? Once I look at the scan it looks like a whole new world and cannot decipher anything. Not even sure if I am looking at the right scan?

Thanks in advance

Larry Rodkey (Radke)

Gottlieb (Bogumil).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.79 KB

Gottlieb (Bogumil).JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 133 of 274

Jump to: