PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:08 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for the translations. The pdf document will be a great help.

Yes, please translate the record I attached. I am not sure I have it all correct.

Thanks again,
Marie
heatherc27

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:47 pm      Post subject:

Dave,
Thank you for the translation. I suspected that niewiadomo was Polish and meant unknown. As always your insights are much appreciated and have helped me to translate some Latin records on my own.

Heather
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 am      Post subject:

marie m wrote:
Thank you for the translations. The pdf document will be a great help.

Yes, please translate the record I attached. I am not sure I have it all correct.

Thanks again,
Marie

Marie,

The wording for the headings may not exactly match those on your record. There were several variations used in the Austrian Partition but the sense, if not the exact wording, of the headings should fit. There are some pieces of info which could not be included because that data would appear in a portion of the record not found on the image as posted.

Here is the translation.

Col. 1 N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: 35
Col. 2: Dies et Mensis = Day and Month: Year & Month not shown on image
Col. 2a: Nat(ivitatis) = of birth: 28
Col. 2b: Bapt(ismi) = of baptism: 29
Col. 3: N(ume)rus Domus = at house number: 127
Col. 4: Nomen Baptisati = Name of person baptized: Maryanna
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica= Non-Catholic: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Checked
Col. 7: Thori = of the (marital) bed: Legitimate
Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: PATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = The name of the father and the first and surname of his parents (i.e. the paternal grandparents of the child) and his condition/status/occupation: Wojciech Kania, a tenant
Col. 8b: MATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio = The name of the mother and also the first and surnames of her parents (i.e. the maternal grandparents of the child) and their condition/status/occupation: Katarzyna, the daughter of the marriage of Wojciech Noworol and of Anna, born of Piotr Szczepanik (i.e. nee Szczepanik)
Col. 9: PATRINI et eorum Nomen et Cognomen et Conditio = The Sponsors and their First and Surname(s) and Condition/Occupation/ Status: Tomasz Kom?, a tenant & Maryanna, the wife of Andrzej Kania, a self-sustaining farmer

Notation in Cols. 1-3 contains the name of the assistant pastor of the parish who baptized her.
Notation in Cols. 5-7: Name of the examined midwife who assisted at the birth. Some midwives had passed an examination and were certified and others just practiced their occupation. The examination & certification was similar to having a midwife’s license.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave
megsiek86

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am      Post subject: Translation of cause of death

Hi Dave,

I am attaching the death for little Katarzyna, because I can't for the life of me, work out cause of death. This priest's handwriting is dreadful! To me it looks like [something] debiliti. It seems that it is listed as cause of death for most of the infants on this page. I'm taking it to mean a weakness or infirmity of some kind - but debility seems to be a catch-all for any number of things.
Appreciate all your help,
Megan.

DeathRecord1909.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DeathRecord1909.pdf
 Filesize:  711.24 KB
 Downloaded:  363 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation of cause of death

megsiek86 wrote:
Hi Dave,

I am attaching the death for little Katarzyna, because I can't for the life of me, work out cause of death. This priest's handwriting is dreadful! To me it looks like [something] debiliti. It seems that it is listed as cause of death for most of the infants on this page. I'm taking it to mean a weakness or infirmity of some kind - but debility seems to be a catch-all for any number of things.
Appreciate all your help,
Megan.

Hi Megan,

The cause of death is debilitas, debilitatis, f., which does mean “weakness” or “debility” as you guessed. Our English words debility and debilitate come directly from the Latin word. (As a side note, Third Declension nouns which end in “tas” usually stand for abstract ideas, like infinitas or pietas or universitas or the like. Since our English words often are derived from nouns such as these it is easy to guess the meaning of the Latin. Usually, all that needs to be done is to drop the “as” from the Latin and substitute a “y” and you’ve got the English.) But, meanwhile, back in the record...When debilitas is listed as a cause of death, it certainly does act as a catchall. It is frequently found as the cause of death of infants and children and of old people. Keep in mind that in rural Poland at that time, as I wrote before, infant mortality was high and medical care was not state of the art. In the case of infants and young children, it can often be rendered as “failure to thrive”. These days, with frequent checkups for newborns and young children, a child who is not within the parameters of “normal” development can be treated and brought into the “normal” range. Children born in rural Poland often never saw a physician. A midwife assisted at the birth and if everything went well, the mother and child were on their own. If the child was not thriving as expected an intervention to correct the course of development was a rarity. In the case of old people, debilitas was used to describe the normal process of physical decline due to age. In truth, debilitas is actually a description of a symptom for which the underlying cause is not specified.

Hope the explanation clarifies even if, in the ultimate analysis, it does not satisfy.

Dave
megsiek86

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 pm      Post subject: Thank you Dave!

Many thanks for your reply! Your detailed explanations are extremely helpful.
marie m

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:22 am      Post subject:

Thank you. I did better than I thought. Tomasz Kom? I believe is Kon. That is the surname I have been researching.
Marie
bareed2112

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:57 am      Post subject: Mariage record translation

I was hoping to get a translation of this marriage record for my grandparents John Pekelnicky and Julia Stec.

Thank you,
Brad

Pekelnicky Family History.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.7 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Pekelnicky Family History.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:44 am      Post subject: Re: Mariage record translation

bareed2112 wrote:
I was hoping to get a translation of this marriage record for my grandparents John Pekelnicky and Julia Stec.

Thank you,
Brad

Brad,

Here is the translation of the marriage record of your grandparents.

Col.1: Nomen Familiae = Family Name: Pekelnicky & Stec

Col.2: A.D. Die Mensis= Day, Month, Year (of marriage): (Entered in English) May 22, 1922

Col. 3: Registrum Matrimoniorum = Register of Marriages: I, the undersigned, after the three announcements of the banns had been proclaimed beforehand, and after having received the mutual consent of the contracting individuals, through words of the present marriage, joined together John/Jan Pekelnicky from Pekelnik (illegible abbreviation) Poland, the son of Donatus/Donat and of Maria nee Fimdalek and ??onam* Stec from Lipnica (illegible word), the daughter of Ignatius/Ignacy and of Caroline/Karolina nee Jurcak in the presence of the witnesses Stephen/Stefan/Szczepan Zaglin(?) and Caroline/Karolina Vondorcik(?)
Signature of priest: Rev. ?? Masab(?)

Col.4: Dispensationes = Dispensations: In this column where any grants of dispensations should have been entered, two dates were entered. The dates are probably either the dates of birth or the dates of baptism of the groom and of the bride. The dates, entered in English, are: July 27, 1893 and July 16, 1896.

The entries in this record, which should have been very simple, clear, and straightforward, has been transformed into something which is neither simple nor clear nor straightforward due to a mixture of languages (Latin & English), incorrect Latin endings, a mysterious Latin given name and dubious spellings of Polish surnames. The Latin given name of the father of the groom should appear as Donati rather than Donatii. The way your grandmothers given name appears makes no sense in Latin. The name Julia should have been entered as Juliam rather than the mysterious form which appears in the record.

Saints Cyril & Methodius parish was a Slovak ethnic parish in Lakewood. It has merged with another parish. The Polish ethnic parish there was St. Hedwig. That parish is now closed. The fact that it was a Slovak parish goes a long way to explaining the spelling of some Polish proper nouns as the appear in the record. In Polish the hard consonant “k” is not followed by the vowel “e”. The proper Polish form should be “kie”. Also, “k” is followed by “i” rather than by “y”.

The proper spelling of your grandfather’s surname in Polish should be Piekielnicki and the village where he lived should be spelled Piekielnik. The maiden name of the mother of your grandmother is most likely Jurczak in Polish. The Polish spellings would be important as you continue your research in Poland.

In the translation I listed given names in both their English and Polish forms.

Dave
bareed2112

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Mariage record translation

Dave,

Thank you so much for the translation and also for the the added detailed information on the names and background on the churches.
The spelling of my grandfather's surname was changed to Pekelnicky after he came to the U. S. in 1909, that much I knew, but I was unsure of the correct Polish spelling. I think the illegible part of the place names in both cases was Orava (Slovak spelling) or Orawa (Polish spelling) since both came from that region, my Grandfather from Piekielnik and my Grandmother from Lipnica Wielka.

Thank you again for your time and assistance,

Brad
ecltwo

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:44 pm      Post subject: Translation help

Hoping someone can translate this segment of my GM's baptismal certificate.
Thks,
Ed

Parent Info wrt Grandmother s Baptism- Contrast Corrected.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.64 KB

Parent Info wrt Grandmother s Baptism- Contrast Corrected.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:37 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation help

ecltwo wrote:
Hoping someone can translate this segment of my GM's baptismal certificate.
Thks,
Ed

Hi Ed,
Here it is:

Родичі і іх звания (that is Ukrainian or Bielarusian) // Parents and their names

Jacobus Repko filius Adalberti et Euphemiae Kozak agr.(agricola) loci
Maria filia Josephi Jarzyński et Annae natae Gajda agr. loci
//
Jakob Repko, son of Wojciech [Repko] and Eufemia Kozak, local farmers
Maria [Jarzyńska], daughter of Jozef Jarzyński and Anna née Gajda, local farmers

Best,
Elzbieta
==
Repko in today Poland:
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/repko.html
Kozak in today Poland:
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/kozak.html
Jarzyński/Jarzyńska in today Poland:
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/jarzy%25C5%2584ski.html
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/jarzy%25C5%2584ska.html
Gajda in today Poland:
http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/gajda.html
==
ecltwo

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:33 pm      Post subject: THANKS again from TEXAS

You are a jewel... Very Happy
The Lewis'
Ed, Ati, and Senta
ecltwo

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:01 am      Post subject: More translation help needed

Elizieta,

I just had a closer look at the Baptismal certificate that I have and noticed that it was apparently generated in 1939 ! ! ! Therefore not at the time of the Christening which I had always believed

Maybe, the attached will give me more useful information;
Hoping so,
Ed Exclamation

Unknown Info wrt Grandmother s Baptism.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.51 KB

Unknown Info wrt Grandmother s Baptism.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:35 am      Post subject: Re: More translation help needed

ecltwo wrote:

I just had a closer look at the Baptismal certificate that I have and noticed that it was apparently generated in 1939 ! ! ! Therefore not at the time of the Christening which I had always believed

Maybe, the attached will give me more useful information;
Hoping so,
Ed Exclamation

Ed,

Sacramental certificates were seldom issued at the time the event took place. They were usually issued when the individual needed a certificate for some purpose later in life. A certificate is a transcription of information found in the appropriate sacramental register which certifies that the document as issued is a true and accurate copy of the information found in the actual register. At the time the birth and baptism took place (1891) priests acted as civil registrars in Galicia and a copy of the parish registers was sent to the Austrian civil authorities to serve as civil vital records. The original registers were kept in Latin but after WWI the system of civil registration in the Republic of Poland changed. However, the old Latin registers obviously continued to serve as civil records in the area of Poland which had been under Austrian rule. During that period certificates were bilingual (usually in both Latin and Polish, but in this case in Latin and either Ukrainian or Belarusian).

The certificate does contain information beyond the names of the child and her parents and grandparents. The column after the section you posted should have a heading in Latin of “Patrini et eorum conditio” which would give the names of the sponsors (commonly called godparents) and their status/condition/occupation.

Since your great grandparents were Eastern Rite aka Greek Catholics, according to the ritual and practice of that Rite, children were confirmed immediately after being baptized and that info is also contained within the certificate. The first column records the date of birth and the date of baptism and confirmation. The Latin contains the year written in words as well as numerals. The certificate states that she was born on January 1, 1891 and was baptized and confirmed on January 4, 1891. The notations in the following columns are of much less importance for genealogical purposes. The top notation records the name of the midwife who assisted at her birth (Anna with a surname which is unclear to me). The final word in Latin is an abbreviation for the word “obstetrix” (“midwife). The bottom notation names the priest who baptized and confirmed her. The line reads “Aleksy (unclear surname), the pastor, baptized and confirmed her.”

Since these records served as civil records the status/occupation of the various individuals was recorded as something which was of interest to the Austrian government.

Hope this information is of use to you.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 136, 137, 138 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 137 of 274

Jump to: