PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:34 pm      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Great, thanks Dave!

Here's another death record from 1841. This one is for Mathias Bogdanski. He lived in the main village of Nawojowa parish. His wife at the time was Agnes Dutka.

I realize this one might be a lot harder to read. But can you make out his cause of death? And does it mention his occupation?

Hi Starshdow,

The full page helped. The cause of death was entered in Polish rather than Latin and the full page view made it clear.

There is no mention of his occupation unless Agnieszka was a high maintenance wife and pleasing her was his full-time job---just some Pre-Thanksgiving humor. The cause of death was “puchlina” aka edema aka dropsy aka hydrops.

Here is the translation:

Left Margin: 6 = 6th death for the year

Col. 1: Dies Mortui 1841 Mensis = Date of Death 1841 Month: February 28, 1841

Col. 2: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 27

Col. 3: Nomen Mortui = Name of the Deceased: Maciej Bogdanski, the husband of his surviving consort Agnieszka nee Dutka

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: CHECKED
Col. 4b: Aut Alia = Or Another: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Masculinus = Masculine: Checked
Col. 5b: Foemininus = Feminine: Blank

Col. 6: Dies Vitae = Age (Lit. Days of Life): 69 years

Col. 7: Morbus & Qualitas Mortis = Disease & Type of Death: Puchlina = Edema/Dropsy/Hydrops*

Notation: Tomasz Jaskolski(?), the assistant pastor, buried (him).

Note: *Edema aka Dropsy aka Hydrops was a swelling which resulted from the accumulation of fluids in the tissues or cavities of the body.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dave
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:49 pm      Post subject:

Ha ha. Thanks again Dave. And Happy Thanksgiving!
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:44 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

I cannot read the name before "et Catharina'. It was indexed as Kunegunda. Also, it seems it refers to twin, is that?
Gilberto

1763 - N - Gemes (JakEwa) Nieszawa 27novembro.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.79 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1763 - N - Gemes (JakEwa) Nieszawa 27novembro.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:32 pm      Post subject:

Magroski49 wrote:
Dave,

I cannot read the name before "et Catharina'. It was indexed as Kunegunda. Also, it seems it refers to twin, is that?
Gilberto

Hi Gilberto,

The name you had difficulty reading in Latin is Caeciliam which is Cecylia/Cecilja in Polish or Cecilia in English. I don’t know how it got indexed as Kunegunda. There are two versions in Latin for Kunegunda: Cunegundis, is (a Third Declension noun) and Cunegunda, ae (a First Declension noun). The first version of the name employs Third Declension endings for the various cases and the second version uses First Declension endings. What is written in the record clearly does not even vaguely resemble the Latin for Kunegunda.

It was one child with two given names who was baptized, not twins. Her name in Polish was Cecylia Katarzyna. The words which show that it was only one child with two given names are: “infantem nomine bino” (“an infant with two names”). The Latin is not really correct since the adjective bini, binae, bina which means “two (of a kind)” or “a pair” takes only plural endings and has no singular forms since by its very nature it is plural. The priest used the singular form “bino” which in proper Latin does not exist. However, I guess it is too late to give him a refresher course in Latin adjectives (Ha, Ha).

Here is a translation of the entry: 1763. On the 27th day of November I, Marcin Laskowski, the preacher and superior (i.e. the pastor) of Nieszawa, baptized an infant with two names, Cecylia and Katarzyna, of the legitimate marital bed of the parents Jakub and Ewa Magrowski, citizens/residents of Nieszawa. The sponsors were Grzegorz Kos??ewski, a citizen/resident of Nieszawa and Jadwiga Magrowska from Raciazek, also a citizen/resident.

This is probably more information about Latin than you ever wanted to know, but you know that I can't resist explaining in detail.

Hoping that this clears things up a bit,

Dave
Magroski49

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:31 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Magroski49 wrote:
Dave,

Gilberto

Hi Gilberto,

This is probably more information about Latin than you ever wanted to know, but you know that I can't resist explaining in detail.

Hoping that this clears things up a bit,

Dave

Thank you, Dave. By the way, I enjoy your Latin classes Smile

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Jmecoates

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:36 am      Post subject: Please Help

Can someone please help translate this church document? I think it says he is from Krivichi, but I can not read what comes after. Thank you

Jaime

casimer wedding.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  733.19 KB

casimer wedding.JPG

Magroski49

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Please Help

Jmecoates wrote:
Can someone please help translate this church document? I think it says he is from Krivichi, but I can not read what comes after. Thank you

Jaime

Jaime,
I read Krzywiczy, in Vilna (Vilnius, Lithuania?).

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 pm      Post subject: Re: Please Help

Jmecoates wrote:

Jaime

Jaime,

I’m not sure of the geography. I presume thet the area today either is in Lithuania or Belarus so I’ll give the place names as they are written in Polish.

Here is the translation.

Left Column: Kazimierz Dziadziola and Ewa Jeszukiewicz
Body of entry: On the 30th day of June, after the three announcements of the banns had been promulgated beforehand, I joined together (in marriage) Kazimierz Dziadziola (Krzywiczy in Wilno, Russian Poland---Daisylowa[?]), a single young man, 28 years of age (born) of the father Józef (Dziadziola) and of the mother Antonia Delewicz and the maiden, 23 years of age, Ewa Jeszukiewicz (the same---the same*) (born) of the father ---? and of the mother Pranusza ---?**, The witnesses (were) Władysław Liminowicz and Kazimierz Szymotowicz.

Notes: * th same---the same = Krzywiczy in Wilno, Russian Poland---Daisolowa[?]
**evidently the priest did not see any documentation (like a baptismal certificate and thus didn’t have much information about the bride’s parents.

Sorry that I’m not able to be of more help with the geography.

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,
I think the place is Daisytown. In Pennsylvania.
Best,
Sophia
Jmecoates

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Please Help

Yes he was from Letki, Wilno, Russia which is about 2 miles from Krivichi, Belarus. Hw was married in Daisytown, PA.
On his sisters marriage papers it lists Antonae Bielevich as the mother. Does anyone know which would be more likely? Thank you

Jaime[/quote]
wavydave

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:16 pm      Post subject: Marriage bann?

Hi, I'd greatly appreciate translation of a couple of documents. I think they're marriage banns(?) or perhaps records from the village's marriage index. In any case, I'm unfamiliar with the format. Thanks in advance.

traus_borowski_bann.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  819.73 KB

traus_borowski_bann.jpg

leon_borowski_bann.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  912.3 KB

leon_borowski_bann.jpg

treich

Replies: 167

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:58 pm      Post subject: Translation Request

Please translate the attached birth record. Thanks

1809.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  196.53 KB

1809.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:55 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage bann?

wavydave wrote:
Hi, I'd greatly appreciate translation of a couple of documents. I think they're marriage banns(?) or perhaps records from the village's marriage index. In any case, I'm unfamiliar with the format. Thanks in advance.

Dave,

The first record is in Polish and is probably prenuptial information. The second record is mostly in Polish with some Latin and is also probably prenuptial info. Here are the translations. For both marriage records I had difficulty with the handwriting and am not able to determine some of the proper nouns.

Anyway, here are the translations.

Dave

Traus Marriage
Col. 1: Julian Traus, a cart-wright from Ozy????owiec
with
Marya Borowska from Kasi??wiec
Col 2: The son of Jozef and Marya nee Ł???ska
The daughter of the late Kacper and Katarzyna nee ?mizska
Col. 3: Both are free to marry
Col. 4: ?
Col 5: Date of birth & age: Groom: Born July 5, 1876, age 26 &1/2; Bride: Born: September 1, 1877, age 25
Date of Marriage: February 10, 1903
Col. 6: House Number: Groom: #177; Bride: #450
Col 7: ?
Col. 8: Dates of Banns: First: January 25, the Third Sunday after Epiphany; Second: February 1, the Fourth Sunday After Epiphany; Third: February 2, Candlemas

Leon Borowski Marriage

Col.1: Leon Borowski, ??, born in Kasylkowo (???) 1849, a widower after the late Tekla Ducz???ska, died August 2, 1897
with
Teresa Know??ska, a widow after the late Jan Gorczynski, who died on January 28, 1890 in ???? . She was born on October 23, 1859.
Col. 2: Groom: The son of Wincenty & Elżbieta nee Bilinska; Bride: The daughter of Ignacy Know??ski and Józefa Jurkowska
Col. 3: Groom: Widower; Bride: Widow
Col. 4: ?; ?
Col. 5: Age: Groom: 48; Bride: 38
Col. 6: Residence: Groom:Kociabina(?) (house) #396; Bride: Hadynkowa(?)
Col, 7: Parish: Groom: Kopy???; Bride: Ża???nie
Final 2 Columns: Dates of Banns: 1st: The Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost (October 24); 2nd:: The Twenty-first Sunday after Pentecost (October 31); 3rd Feast of All Saints (November1)
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:09 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

treich wrote:
Please translate the attached birth record. Thanks

Hi,

I’m not sure of the given name of the child. I believe the child’s gender is female, but am not 100% positive. The words (besides the name) which indicate the gender are filium (for a male) or filiam (for a female) and natum (for a male) or natam (for a female). The word which seems the clearest is filiam where the last vowel appears closed (a rather than u). Thus, my determination that the child is a girl.

Hope this helps.

Here is the translation.

Dave

Left column: (Village of) Radzynek
Body of Entry: On the 28th day of February 1809 I, who (is named) above, baptized an infant by the name of Karlina(?) born on the 25th day of the current (month) at the hour of 8 in the evening, the daughter the legitimate marriage of the upright* Krystian and Anna nee Smiekowna** (?) Trychl***, farmers. The sponsors were Michał Wolka, a head of a household from Kazmierzewo and Helena Trychlowa****, all Non-Catholics.

Notes: *upright/honestus, an adjective used to describe a farmer from a village or small town.
**The suffix -owna signifies “daughter of”
***The form in the record is the Polish Genitive Plural (Trychlow). The Nominative Singular could be Trychl or Trychel.
****The suffix -owa signifies “wife of”
wavydave

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:03 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Dave. I have very few early records of my Borowski family so your translation is greatly appreciated. The marriage of Leon Borowski has the word "dismissi" written on it - can you explain the significance of this? Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 139 of 274

Jump to: