PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:10 am      Post subject:

wavydave wrote:
Thank you Dave. I have very few early records of my Borowski family so your translation is greatly appreciated. The marriage of Leon Borowski has the word "dismissi" written on it - can you explain the significance of this? Thanks in advance.

Dave,

The word is a Latin verb with a very specific meaning when used in ecclesial Latin. If you could provide some detail about the record it should be possible to provide a better meaning in regard to the person to whom the verb refers. A most helpful detail would be the name of the parish where the record was composed, since the bride and the groom were from two different parishes.

Thanks,

Dave
wavydave

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:01 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the reply. The record was found in a microfilm of Roman Catholic Kopyczynce records titled "Banns", so I assume the record was composed in the Kopyczynce parish. The record is from the year 1897 (Leon's first wife, Tekla Duczumińska, died on August 2, 1897 according to this record).

The Leon Borowski in the record resided in the village of Kociubince (the parish for this village was Kopyczynce) and I assume he was born in Wasylkow/Husiatyn. (Leon was my great-grandfather).

The bride's village looks like perhaps Hryńkowce, parish of Zabińce.

leon_borowski_bann_845.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  912.3 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

leon_borowski_bann_845.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 am      Post subject:

wavydave wrote:
Thanks for the reply. The record was found in a microfilm of Roman Catholic Kopyczynce records titled "Banns", so I assume the record was composed in the Kopyczynce parish. The record is from the year 1897 (Leon's first wife, Tekla Duczumińska, died on August 2, 1897 according to this record).

The Leon Borowski in the record resided in the village of Kociubince (the parish for this village was Kopyczynce) and I assume he was born in Wasylkow/Husiatyn. (Leon was my great-grandfather).

The bride's village looks like perhaps Hryńkowce, parish of Zabińce.

Dave,

The word is the First Person Singular of the Perfect Tense. It was used in ecclesiastical Latin to mean “I handed over (him/her/them) to the pastoral care of (another priest)”. The way it appears in the record makes it difficult to know exactly who did what to whom over 100 years after the word was entered in the record. The priest who wrote the word obviously clearly understood what he intended to convey. The difficulty in 2017 is that words the priest left as understood in 1897 are not clearly understood now as they were to him. The words which were left as understood are the subject,“I”, and the direct object “him” or “her” or possibly “them”.

Possible clues are that the record is info compiled for the announcement of the banns in the parish of Kopyczynce. (The banns were announced in both the parish of the bride and the parish of the groom.) The handwriting of the word is obviously not the same as that found in the rest of the entry and thus the word was not entered by the same person who wrote the body of the entry and was entered after the body of the entry. (The same can be said of the date of the wedding in the Traus marriage record.) Weddings were to take place in the parish of the bride, although the pastor of the bride’s parish could delegate another priest to witness the marriage. Sometimes the pastor of a parish would have an assistant take care of entering records and sometimes he would hire a scribe to enter the information into the register.

The long and short of it is that there are quite a few questions about the single word in the record and from what is recorded one cannot determine who was the “I” who wrote the word and who was the direct object of that verb. The answers possibly will never be 100% certain and will require a judgment call based on the clues and evidence found in this and possibly other records from the same parish.

Sorry that all I am able to do is give you the meaning of the word and point out some possibilities for determining who is who in regard to that verb.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
5cousins

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:59 am      Post subject: Marriage record translation Mielcarek/Piotrowska

I could use some help on this record. It's from Grabie parish, Inowrocław. I've attached the file and I'll also include the link in order to see other pages from the same book, if desired:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXF-Y3QC-3?i=471&cat=95285
(FHC Film #2099576)
It's the 1st record on this page.

I think I have most of it, but I could use a second set of eyes. I'm mostly trying to confirm the location and date, but any other details I've missed or mistranscribed would be appreciated as well. Here is what I see (CR stands for Can't Read):

p. 197 (280 is crossed out)
Kawęczyn[?]
Anno Dom 1808 Die 7 [CR] Ego Josephus Myezynski Cura-
tus in Grabie [CR] [CR] Pramisses Tribus Bannis
[CR] Denutiatumibus[?] Continuis Diebus Domusa [CR] [CR] inter
polatis, nulloq Legitimo Impedimento Canonico [CR] inter
Honestus Antonium Mielcarek viduum et Antonina Piotro-
wska Virginem Benediti Matrimonium [CR] Testibus
Antonio Wrobławski operario et Michaele Dameradski et [CR]
plurimis [CR] [CR].

Location: Looking at the Grabie area on Google Maps (https://tinyurl.com/ycvu4mw4), I see a town called Kawęczyn about 1.5 mi NW of Grabie, so that's where I got the name since I had a hard time making out the name on the marriage record.

Date: I don't know what the month is. It's the 4th record of 1808, and the 3rd record looks like it says March (previous page on familysearch link, above), but I'm not able to read the month abbreviation, assuming that's what it is.

People: I found this record via the Poznań Project (http://poznan-project.psnc.pl) and I'm guessing they transcribed the bride's name correctly:
Catholic parish Grabie [Neu-Grabia]
entry 4 / 1808 [21.9km]
Antonius Mielcarek (widower) 100%
Antonina Piotrowska
I took my best guess at the sponsors' names.
Antoni and Antonina would be my 3rd great grandparents

Thanks!
Jeff

Mielcarek, Antoni, m 1808.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB

Mielcarek, Antoni, m 1808.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:24 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage record translation Mielcarek/Piotrowska

5cousins wrote:
I could use some help on this record. It's from Grabie parish, Inowrocław. I've attached the file and I'll also include the link in order to see other pages from the same book, if desired:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXF-Y3QC-3?i=471&cat=95285
(FHC Film #2099576)
It's the 1st record on this page.

I think I have most of it, but I could use a second set of eyes. I'm mostly trying to confirm the location and date, but any other details I've missed or mistranscribed would be appreciated as well. Here is what I see (CR stands for Can't Read):

p. 197 (280 is crossed out)
Kawęczyn[?]
Anno Dom 1808 Die 7 [CR] Ego Josephus Myezynski Cura-
tus in Grabie [CR] [CR] Pramisses Tribus Bannis
[CR] Denutiatumibus[?] Continuis Diebus Domusa [CR] [CR] inter
polatis, nulloq Legitimo Impedimento Canonico [CR] inter
Honestus Antonium Mielcarek viduum et Antonina Piotro-
wska Virginem Benediti Matrimonium [CR] Testibus
Antonio Wrobławski operario et Michaele Dameradski et [CR]
plurimis [CR] [CR].

Location: Looking at the Grabie area on Google Maps (https://tinyurl.com/ycvu4mw4), I see a town called Kawęczyn about 1.5 mi NW of Grabie, so that's where I got the name since I had a hard time making out the name on the marriage record.

Date: I don't know what the month is. It's the 4th record of 1808, and the 3rd record looks like it says March (previous page on familysearch link, above), but I'm not able to read the month abbreviation, assuming that's what it is.

People: I found this record via the Poznań Project (http://poznan-project.psnc.pl) and I'm guessing they transcribed the bride's name correctly:
Catholic parish Grabie [Neu-Grabia]
entry 4 / 1808 [21.9km]
Antonius Mielcarek (widower) 100%
Antonina Piotrowska
I took my best guess at the sponsors' names.
Antoni and Antonina would be my 3rd great grandparents

Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff,

You did a good job for the most part in transcribing the Latin text. The surnames of the two named witnesses are not clear and I just gave my best reading of those surnames without any claim to accuracy. You are correct that the previous marriage entry is for March 1. There are two reasons for the long gap between entries: 1) March 1, 1808 was the last day weddings were celebrated until after Easter. Ash Wednesday that year was March 2; and 2) In farming villages weddings usually took place during the “down times” of the agricultural year. By the time weddings were again permitted after Easter planting season had begun. Evidently by September the main harvest was completed and thus there was free time for marriage celebrations. The last day for weddings in the autumn was the Saturday before the beginning of Advent. For all practical purposes, there were no weddings in December and early January until after the Feast of the Epiphany (Jan.6).

As is usual with such records, much of the entry is devoted to the legalities of ecclesiastical marriages. The wording is basically the same in the remaining entries on the pages and has little, if any, genealogical value.

The attached map shows the villages of Kawęczyn, Grabie, and Słuzewo in contemporary Poland. After the Third Partition of Poland they were all part of the territory seized by Prussia, which the Prussian authorities refered to as South Prussia. From 1808 until 1815 they were part of the Duchy of Warsaw (Księstwo Warszawskie) After 1815 until after WWI Kawęczyn and Grabie were ruled by Prussia/Germany and were part of the Prov. Of Posen but Słuzewo fell under Russian control and was part of the Kingdom of Poland (Królestwo Polskie) aka Russian Poland. Thus after 1815 the parish of Grabie was no longer part of the deanery of Słuzewo.

The contemporary parish church of Grabie dates from the 18th Century but was renovated in the 20th Century. Your 3rd great grandparents would have recognized many features of the contemporary church building such as the exterior, the old high altar, the pulpit, and the communion rail. Hope you find the attached photos useful. The church is under the patronage of St. Wenceslaus (św. Wacław).

All my maternal and paternal ancestors going back to the late 1600s were from western Kujawsko-Pomorskie and eastern Wielkoplskie. If you have any questions about the area, I would be happy to share what I know.

Anyway, here is the transcription and the translation. Letters in parentheses are understood as part of a typical scribal shortcut.

Wishing you continued success in your research,

Dave

Left Margin: Kawęczyn*
Body of Entry: Anno D(o)m(ini) 1808 die 7ma 7bris** Ego Josephus Męczynski curatus in Grabie Decanus Słuseviensis praemissis tribus bannis seu denuntiationibus continuis diebus Domi(ni)cis ac festivis interpolatis nulloq(ue) legitimo impedimento Canonico detecto inter honestos**** Antonium Mielcarek viduum et Antoninam Piotrowska virginem benedixi matrimonium praesentibus testibus Antonio Wroblewski(?) operario et Michaele Dzeneradski(?) et alijs***** plurimis actum hunc concomitentibus.

Translation: Left Margin (Village of) Kawęczyn*
Body of Entry: In the Year of Our Lord 1808, on the 7th day of September, I, Józef Męczynski, the curate in Grabie (and) dean of Słuzewo, after the three banns or announcements had been proclaimed beforehand on consecutive Sundays and intervening feasts*** and since no legitimate Canonical impediment had been discovered, blessed the marriage between the upright**** Antoni Mielcarek, a widower, and Antonina Piotrowska, a maiden, in the presence of the witnesses Antoni Wroblewski(?), a day laborer, and Michał Dzeneradski(?) and many others in attendance at this event.

Notes: * Kawęczyn: The village where the bride and groom resided. When the bride and the groom were from different villages two names would be listed.

**7bris = abbreviation for Septembris. The tail on the last letter indicates that the case ending has been truncated.

***Festivis/Feasts = Holy Days of Obligation (which varied from country to country). The most likely feast day on which the banns were announced was the Feast of Our Lady of Częstochowa on August 26.

****honestus/upright: an adjective used to designate a peasant farmer from a village or small town.

*****alijs = aliis: a 19th Century spelling using “j” for the second “i” when the letter is repeated in sequence in a word.

grabie interior.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  256.81 KB

grabie interior.png

grabie exterior.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.27 KB

grabie exterior.png

Grabie.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  425.23 KB

Grabie.png

5cousins

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:01 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage record translation Mielcarek/Piotrowska

Thanks so much, Dave! That is really helpful. "7bris" had me stumped. Very useful info on the seasons and marriage dates - I never realized that, but it makes perfect sense. I have been to Grabie! I'll send you some info (surnames, locations) via PM. Thanks again!
Jeff
Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 pm      Post subject: Birth Translations

Hi Dave,

I need a little assistance with two birth records, both from the Koscierzyna parish. I think I have the record translated correctly, but am not seeming to be finding a name for the child in either of these records.

The first record is from 1810 and I have translated as:

1810 Stawiska On 15 August, I performed the baptism of the infant who is of noble birth. Child of Jan de Sedzicki and Agnieszka. Sponsors were Simeon Sedzicki and Anna Sedzicka.

The second record is from 1672 and I have translated as:

On 6 December I performed the baptism on an infant ????, the legitimate child of Mathias Niesiolowski and Catherina. Sponsors were Laurentiz Gacz and Dorothea Burynikowa.

Both of these records are from the correct time frame of what I am looking for (And hopefully both are males)

As always, your help and insight are greatly appreciated.

Mike

Niesiolowski Birth 1672.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1004.24 KB

Niesiolowski Birth 1672.png

Sedzicki Birth 1810.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1012.8 KB

Sedzicki Birth 1810.png

jehartel

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:21 pm      Post subject: Help deciphering Polish Church records

So, now that I have successfully located my GGM's birth/baptism record in the State Archives, I am having a difficult time understanding the annotations. Is there anyone out there who can assist? The main categories/columns are fairly self-explanatory, however, most records have additional comments penned into the entry - as well as a lengthy entry under Parents.

Thanks, Erik

PITERA-Mary-Birth Record (Polish).JPG
 Description:
Clip of my GGM Mary (Marianna) Pitera's record.
 Filesize:  108.42 KB

PITERA-Mary-Birth Record (Polish).JPG

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Help deciphering Polish Church records

jehartel wrote:
So, now that I have successfully located my GGM's birth/baptism record in the State Archives, I am having a difficult time understanding the annotations. Is there anyone out there who can assist? The main categories/columns are fairly self-explanatory, however, most records have additional comments penned into the entry - as well as a lengthy entry under Parents.

Thanks, Erik

Erik,
Joannes Pilcra?, agr(icola = farmer), fil(ium = son of) Jacah?Jacob? et=and Wictoria Turan
Sophia, fil(iam = daughter of) Jacobi? Dudak? Dudek? et=and Agatha Mandela?
Jacob? Misier? Catharina uxor = wife Franciscus Len?
Leg = legitimus
Bap(izavi) = nome of the priest who performed the baptism
d..... I assume it is the midwife Salomea Jan....?

Gilberto
Send e-mail
jehartel

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:06 pm      Post subject: Thanks

This is useful. It also added a new layer to my tree. GGM Marianna (Maria) - daughter of Joannes (Jan) Pitera who is the son of Jacobi & Victoria Turan & daughter of Sophia Dudek -daughter of Jacobi Dudek & Agatha Mandela. The last column isn't clear to me then... are these god-parents/guardians?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth Translations

Mrudnik wrote:
Hi Dave,

I need a little assistance with two birth records, both from the Koscierzyna parish. I think I have the record translated correctly, but am not seeming to be finding a name for the child in either of these records.

The first record is from 1810 and I have translated as:

1810 Stawiska On 15 August, I performed the baptism of the infant who is of noble birth. Child of Jan de Sedzicki and Agnieszka. Sponsors were Simeon Sedzicki and Anna Sedzicka.

The second record is from 1672 and I have translated as:

On 6 December I performed the baptism on an infant ????, the legitimate child of Mathias Niesiolowski and Catherina. Sponsors were Laurentiz Gacz and Dorothea Burynikowa.

Both of these records are from the correct time frame of what I am looking for (And hopefully both are males)

As always, your help and insight are greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The child in the 1810 record is named Franciszek (Franciscus in Latin). The name appears in the second line after “bapt.” The child’s parents are described as nobiles/nobles, a term used to describe them as owners or leaseholders of a parcel of land. The record also notes that the parents were legitimately married. The male sponsor’s name is Simon (Szymon in Polish). Simeon is both the Latin and the English form of the Polish name Szymeon. There is only one letter difference between the two names, but they are two distinct names. (One of my maternal uncles was the pastor of St. Simeon Parish in Bellwood, Illinois. Simon is another dude all together. That was Peter's name before it got changed.)

In the 1672 record, it appears that the child was baptized on Dec. 26 rather than Dec. 6. The record begins “Die” which is translated “On the day” and thus the next character is part of the number and not part of the word "die".. I read the child’s name as Egidius (also written as Aegidius), which in English is Giles and in Polish is Idzi. The Polish versions of the parents’ names are Maciej and Katarzyna. The given names of the sponsors are Wawrzyniec and Dorota.

Idzi certainly doesn’t make it into the top ten most popular Polish male names of all time but it was not an uncommon given name during the late 17th and early to middle 18th Centuries. The parish where my dad was baptized in Choceń, Kujawsko-Pomorskie is under the patronage of St. Giles (św. Idzi).

If I am seeing the name correctly in the 1672 record, both children are males.

Hope this helps.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:42 pm      Post subject: Re: Thanks

jehartel wrote:
This is useful. It also added a new layer to my tree. GGM Marianna (Maria) - daughter of Joannes (Jan) Pitera who is the son of Jacobi & Victoria Turan & daughter of Sophia Dudek -daughter of Jacobi Dudek & Agatha Mandela. The last column isn't clear to me then... are these god-parents/guardians?

Erik & Gilberto,

Since this record is housed in the National Archives it is a civil transcript. The Austrian Government required parish priests to act as civil registrars and in that capacity priests had to submit a copy of the parish registers to the government. These copies acted as civil registrations. Soon after the First Partition in 1772 the government began to require the registers to be kept in the columnar format and during the years between 1772 and the end of WWI minor changes were made to the number of columns and to their headings. This record should be able to provide you with a template to understand the meaning of the column headings. As far as I know, there was never a column designated for the name of the priest who baptized the child. Thus, his name was usually included as a notation at the bottom of the first few columns. By about the middle of the 19th Century the name of the midwife was also entered. As no column was designated for her name, it was included at the bottom of the columns, usually after the name of the priest who baptized the person. Neither of those two notations are of great genealogical import. The notation in parentheses in column 4 is intended to make it perfectly clear that the child was one person with two given names and not two individuals (i. e. twins). We commonly refer to those names as a first name and a middle name. Technically, in Catholic Church usage, what are commonly called “godparents” are known as “sponsors”. This designation dates from the earliest days of Christianity and only one sponsor is required. The custom is to have a male and a female sponsor for the child and thus the common designation as “godparents”.

Given names should be translated from Latin into the vernacular of the place where the event took place. Thus, the names in this record should be in Polish. My personal preference is to use the Polish spelling as it was at the time the record was composed and those are the spellings I used in the translation.

Sponsors acting as guardians in the event of the death of the parents is not something which is required (or even considered) of those who act as baptismal sponsors. Since there is no provision in either civil or ecclesiastical law for th sponsors to act as guardians, the idea finds its origin in folklore rather than in law or custom.

Here is the translation of the record.

With the hope that this explanation clarifies the record for you and wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: 113

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: 1896 Novembr(is) = November, 1896

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth = 5

Col. 2b: Baptisat. = Of Baptism = 8

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 328

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Marianna Agatha /bisnom./ = Maryanna Agata /two names/

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Leg. = Legitimate
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Joannes Pitera agr(icola) fil(ius) Jacobi et Victoriae Turań = Jan Pitera, a farmer, the son of Jakub and Wiktoria (nee) Turań
Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Sophia fil(ia) Jacobi Dudek et Agathae Mandela = Zofia, the daughter of Jakub Dudek and Agata (nee) Mandela

Col. 8: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: Jacobus Miscier(?) (et) Catherina uxor Francisci Leń = Jakub Miscier(?) (and) Katarzyna, the wife of Franciszek Leń

Notation in Cols. 1-6b: Bapt (isavit) Jacobus Dm???icki, Par(ochus) = Jakub Dm???icki, the pastor, baptized (her).
Obstetrix Salomea Janusz = The midwife (was) Salomea Janusz
Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:08 am      Post subject: Re: Birth Translations

dnowicki wrote:

Hi Mike,

The child in the 1810 record is named Franciszek (Franciscus in Latin). The name appears in the second line after “bapt.” The child’s parents are described as nobiles/nobles, a term used to describe them as owners or leaseholders of a parcel of land. The record also notes that the parents were legitimately married. The male sponsor’s name is Simon (Szymon in Polish). Simeon is both the Latin and the English form of the Polish name Szymeon. There is only one letter difference between the two names, but they are two distinct names. (One of my maternal uncles was the pastor of St. Simeon Parish in Bellwood, Illinois. Simon is another dude all together. That was Peter's name before it got changed.)

In the 1672 record, it appears that the child was baptized on Dec. 26 rather than Dec. 6. The record begins “Die” which is translated “On the day” and thus the next character is part of the number and not part of the word "die".. I read the child’s name as Egidius (also written as Aegidius), which in English is Giles and in Polish is Idzi. The Polish versions of the parents’ names are Maciej and Katarzyna. The given names of the sponsors are Wawrzyniec and Dorota.

Idzi certainly doesn’t make it into the top ten most popular Polish male names of all time but it was not an uncommon given name during the late 17th and early to middle 18th Centuries. The parish where my dad was baptized in Choceń, Kujawsko-Pomorskie is under the patronage of St. Giles (św. Idzi).

If I am seeing the name correctly in the 1672 record, both children are males.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi Dave,

It does help (although I was hoping the 1810 record was for Jan - did see that that after the Bapt, but did not separate the other two letters to realize it was Francizek) and as always your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Mike
jehartel

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Thanks

@dnowicki,

Outstanding response. Thank you. I truly appreciate the information and, especially, the useful historical context. As I have perhaps a dozen or so additional records to digest, this will prove most useful.

Sincerely,
Erik

JDombrowski89

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:01 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

Was wondering if you could please translate and explain this marriage record (located within the red box) of my Third Great-Grandfather and his first wife. Any help is appreciated.

JD

Pospieski-Zygai Marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  255.88 KB

Pospieski-Zygai Marriage.jpg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 140 of 274

Jump to: