PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:36 pm      Post subject:

JDombrowski89 wrote:
Dave,

Was wondering if you could please translate and explain this marriage record (located within the red box) of my Third Great-Grandfather and his first wife. Any help is appreciated.

JD

JD,

Here is the translation of the marriage record. It would be very helpful in confirming the geography in the records if you would include the parish name with the translation request.

Thanks,

Dave

Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year): 17

Col. 2: Annus et Dies Copulationis = Year and Day of the Marriage: November 4, 1866

Col. 3: Nomen Scerdotis Copulantis = Name of the Priest Marrying (the Couple): Przybysz

Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, locus habitationis, conditio et professio et utrum copulatio in ecclesia vel in aedibus privatis subsecuta = The first and surnames of those marrying, (their) place of residence, condition/status/occupation and profession and whether the marriage followed in a church or in private building (literally: halls): Józef Pospieski from the village of Głębokie; Helena Zygaj from the same village

Col. 5: Utrum in matrimonio jam vixere nec non utrum sub tutela parentum vel tutorum adhoc existant = Whether they (i.e. the contracting parties) have already lived in marriage (i.e. whether one or both had been married previously) or if not whether to this point they lived under the charge of their parents or guardians: A single young man & a maiden

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 25
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 18

Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic

Col. 8: Consensus Parentum vel Tutorum = The Consent of the Parents or the Guardians: With judicial consent on the part of the bride

Col. 9: Proclamatio Banorum = Announcement of the Banns: As above = The 21st , 22nd, & 23rd Sundays after Pentecost

Col. 10: Dispensatio a proclamatione = Dispensation from announcement/announcements (of the banns): Blank

Col. 11: Testes = Witnesses: Andrzej Olejniczak (&) Józef ???ieski

Col. 12: Adnotationes = Notations: The notation is not part of the record of this marriage but records the fact that the local dean (dziekan, in Polish) reviewed the records in the register on November 8, 1866.
JDombrowski89

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
JDombrowski89 wrote:
Dave,

Was wondering if you could please translate and explain this marriage record (located within the red box) of my Third Great-Grandfather and his first wife. Any help is appreciated.

JD

JD,

Here is the translation of the marriage record. It would be very helpful in confirming the geography in the records if you would include the parish name with the translation request.

Thanks,

Dave

Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year): 17

Col. 2: Annus et Dies Copulationis = Year and Day of the Marriage: November 4, 1866

Col. 3: Nomen Scerdotis Copulantis = Name of the Priest Marrying (the Couple): Przybysz

Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, locus habitationis, conditio et professio et utrum copulatio in ecclesia vel in aedibus privatis subsecuta = The first and surnames of those marrying, (their) place of residence, condition/status/occupation and profession and whether the marriage followed in a church or in private building (literally: halls): Józef Pospieski from the village of Głębokie; Helena Zygaj from the same village

Col. 5: Utrum in matrimonio jam vixere nec non utrum sub tutela parentum vel tutorum adhoc existant = Whether they (i.e. the contracting parties) have already lived in marriage (i.e. whether one or both had been married previously) or if not whether to this point they lived under the charge of their parents or guardians: A single young man & a maiden

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 25
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 18

Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic

Col. 8: Consensus Parentum vel Tutorum = The Consent of the Parents or the Guardians: With judicial consent on the part of the bride

Col. 9: Proclamatio Banorum = Announcement of the Banns: As above = The 21st , 22nd, & 23rd Sundays after Pentecost

Col. 10: Dispensatio a proclamatione = Dispensation from announcement/announcements (of the banns): Blank

Col. 11: Testes = Witnesses: Andrzej Olejniczak (&) Józef ???ieski

Col. 12: Adnotationes = Notations: The notation is not part of the record of this marriage but records the fact that the local dean (dziekan, in Polish) reviewed the records in the register on November 8, 1866.

Dave,

My sincerest apologies as I forgot to add that. For clarification this was the village of Slawno.

Thanks for your time in deciphering this.

Regards,
Justin
Send e-mail
BobJan
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 93

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 pm      Post subject: 1st cousins?

I am trying to determine if the bridal party are first cousin. Seems to have a lot of consanguinity issues in this record with more than the local priest involved. Does it all support second cousins?

Thanx again.

huther-dockweiler.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.45 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

huther-dockweiler.jpg

rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 am      Post subject: never married?

I originally posted this erroneously in the Polish translations thread, and have deleted it.

I have been trying to make sense out of a series of marriages for one of my ancestral families. After agonizing over it for months, I think I might have figured it out, but I would like some expert advice to see if I came to the right conclusion.

Paul Zuławski married Eva Ruszkowska about 1874 (I found no marriage record for them). Their first child (Paul Zuławski Jr) was born in Pennsylvania in 1876, and was my great-grand uncle, by marriage. Their second and third children, Charles and Frank were born in Chicago. Eva died on 24 July 1882, only two weeks after Frank was born. Frank lived another two weeks and also died.

That's where the records get confusing.

The attached two records are what threw me for a loop. They are from St Stanislaus Kostka Church, and appear to record another marriage for Paul to Rosalia Lewinska.

The first document, the marriage banns, properly identifies Paul as a widower and lists his first wife's death in 1881 (Ewa Rułkowska).

Then, the second image is the actual parish register which supposedly records the actual marriage on 17 Feb 1882, which happened two days after the last announcement was made. It also lists his first wife's death. However, it appears a bit odd to me.

First, their surnames are NOT listed in the left column, and a big question mark is there instead. Also a line was drawn (probably in pencil) through the date. Second, in the lower right corner is a notation (unreadable) de dubis, which I translated to mean "in doubt".

So my conclusion is that Paul's marriage Rosalia Lewinska, six months after his first wife died, never happened. That would also explain why I found no further records for the couple.

Did all that make sense? Did I figure it out right?
Thanks,
Richard

1882 Paul Zulawski Sr banns no 2a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.42 MB

1882 Paul Zulawski Sr banns no 2a.jpg

1882 Paul Zulawski Sr marriage no 2-registera.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2 MB

1882 Paul Zulawski Sr marriage no 2-registera.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:00 pm      Post subject: Re: 1st cousins?

BobJan wrote:
I am trying to determine if the bridal party are first cousin. Seems to have a lot of consanguinity issues in this record with more than the local priest involved. Does it all support second cousins?

Thanx again.

Bob,

Here is a transcription and translation of the pertinent section of the record:

...ab...Episcopo Matansi(?) a secundo consanguinitatis gradu aequali* et tertio consanguinitatis gradu etiam aequal dispensatione et nullo alio impedimento detecto…

A dispensation from the equal* second degree of consanguinity and also from the equal* third degree of consanguinity (was granted) by...the Bishop of Matan??? and since no other impediment was detected…

Note: *aequali/equal: on both the part of the bride and of the groom (i.e. the bride and the groom were related by blood through two lines of ancestors).

The easy part is that they were cousins twice over. The tough part is to translate the degrees of consanguinity into our common terminology. For an explanation I would refer you to the explanation of consanguinity according to the current Code of Canon Law provided by Cathy Caridi at http://canonlawmadeeasy.com/archives/
Unfortunately, the method of calculating degrees of consanguinity is not the same today as it was in 1798. The explanation by Cathy Caridi is based upon the current Code of Canon Law (1983). The earlier Code was the 1917 Code of Canon Law. Prior to the 1917 Code there was no single place where Catholic Church laws were recorded. From what I’ve read, prior to 1917 there were some 10,000 canons recorded in various sources and some of those canons contradicted each other. The 1917 Code was designed to put some order into the cumbersome scattered canons of Catholic Church laws. I don’t know how to convert the 1798 second and third degrees of consanguinity into current degrees of consanguinity or into our terminology of first, second, third, etc. cousins. I can tell you that they were definitely cousins who at that point in history needed a dispensation in order to marry. The bishop of the diocese (who was also a cardinal) was involved because parish priests could not grant dispensations from consanguinity. The parish priest would gather the facts and then request a dispensation from the bishop of the diocese via the diocesan chancery.

Although I don’t know that Cathy Caridi would be willing to do the historical research to explain the 1798 degrees of consanguinity, perhaps you could contact her on her blog if you want a more definite answer regarding the degree of relationship between those two cousins.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 pm      Post subject: Re: never married?

rsowa wrote:
I originally posted this erroneously in the Polish translations thread, and have deleted it.

I have been trying to make sense out of a series of marriages for one of my ancestral families. After agonizing over it for months, I think I might have figured it out, but I would like some expert advice to see if I came to the right conclusion.

Paul Zuławski married Eva Ruszkowska about 1874 (I found no marriage record for them). Their first child (Paul Zuławski Jr) was born in Pennsylvania in 1876, and was my great-grand uncle, by marriage. Their second and third children, Charles and Frank were born in Chicago. Eva died on 24 July 1882, only two weeks after Frank was born. Frank lived another two weeks and also died.

That's where the records get confusing.

The attached two records are what threw me for a loop. They are from St Stanislaus Kostka Church, and appear to record another marriage for Paul to Rosalia Lewinska.

The first document, the marriage banns, properly identifies Paul as a widower and lists his first wife's death in 1881 (Ewa Rułkowska).

Then, the second image is the actual parish register which supposedly records the actual marriage on 17 Feb 1882, which happened two days after the last announcement was made. It also lists his first wife's death. However, it appears a bit odd to me.

First, their surnames are NOT listed in the left column, and a big question mark is there instead. Also a line was drawn (probably in pencil) through the date. Second, in the lower right corner is a notation (unreadable) de dubis, which I translated to mean "in doubt".

So my conclusion is that Paul's marriage Rosalia Lewinska, six months after his first wife died, never happened. That would also explain why I found no further records for the couple.

Did all that make sense? Did I figure it out right?
Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

I think that you are on the right track. The marriage probably never took place. There certainly would have been better ways for the pastor to have stated that the wedding did not haappen, but he wrote what he wrote. The phrase “de dubiis”can be translated as “from doubts” or “because of doubts”. The preposition “de” is one of those prepositions which has different meanings due to the context and the time period when the document was written. The reason I would hesitate to say that you are 100% correct is that there is slim possibility that the doubts refer to the date of the event since the banns set the wedding for February 1 and the entry in the marriage register is under the date of January 17. It is possible, but not likely, that the priest was in doubt about which date to enter. St. Stanislaus, of course, was the oldest Polish ethnic parish in Chicago and in some ways it seems that it was similar to some of the current Evangelical mega churches of today. It operated on an industrial scale providing womb to tomb care like a hatch, match, and dispatch factory. It seems doubtful that the pastor and the assistant priests ever really got to know most of the people on a personal level.

In your original post you wrote about not having found a church marriage record for the July 17, 1882 wedding of Paul and Christina. Family Search lists the event as having taken place in Lake, Cook, Illinois. The “Lake” is what was called “Town of Lake” in Cook County in 1882. Town of Lake was actually Lake Township. In 1882 the southern boundary of Chicago was 39th Street. South of 39th St. on the east was Hyde Park Township and south of 39th St. on the west was Lake Township. As far as I know, prior to 1882 the only Polish parish south of the Loop was St. Adalbert’s on 17th Street. In 1882 another Polish parish (where my relatives belonged), Immaculate Conception on 88th St. & Commercial Avenue in Hyde Park Township, was founded but, again as far as I know, no Polish parishes existed in 1882 in Lake Township. In 1889 both Hyde Park Township and Lake Township were annexed by Chicago and by then other Polish parishes had been founded on Chicago’s South Side. I presume that you used the PGSA marriage index to locate Paul’s marriage that probably never happened. If he married in Lake Township in 1882, the wedding probably took place in a non-Polish Catholic Church and thus the wedding would not appear in the PGSA index. A possible way to locate where a church wedding took place would be to obtain a copy of the civil license return and use that to determine the name of the parish church. The marriage is indexed on both Family Search and on the website of the Illinois Secretary of State as license number 00063543 at http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases/marriage.html
Although it is not found on the Cook County Clerk’s Site http://www.cookcountygenealogy.com
it is possible to contact the Clerk’s office and provide as much data as possible (including the license number) and request a copy. That is how I obtained a copy of my paternal grandmother’s death certificate which appeared on Family Search & on the website of the Illinois Secretary of State but not on he Cook County Clerk’s Site. Locating a church record would confirm your conclusions.

Hoping that this helps you,

Dave
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:08 pm      Post subject: re: never married?

Thanks Dave...you gave me a scholarly response to a vexing problem. You went above and beyond...thanks! When time permits, I think I will follow your advice and contact the Clerk's office.

Yes, I did find the familysearch record for Paul marrying Christine...exactly one year since his first wife died. That makes sense from what I have learned about the traditional mourning period.

I didn't mention it in my original post, but I have other evidence that Paul (that married Christina) was the same man who had five children in Chicago before eventually moving to Michigan and fathering six more.

Thanks again,
Richard
BobJan
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 am      Post subject: dismissi

dnowicki wrote:
wavydave wrote:
Thanks for the reply. The record was found in a microfilm of Roman Catholic Kopyczynce records titled "Banns", so I assume the record was composed in the Kopyczynce parish. The record is from the year 1897 (Leon's first wife, Tekla Duczumińska, died on August 2, 1897 according to this record).

The Leon Borowski in the record resided in the village of Kociubince (the parish for this village was Kopyczynce) and I assume he was born in Wasylkow/Husiatyn. (Leon was my great-grandfather).

The bride's village looks like perhaps Hryńkowce, parish of Zabińce.

Dave,

The word is the First Person Singular of the Perfect Tense. It was used in ecclesiastical Latin to mean “I handed over (him/her/them) to the pastoral care of (another priest)”. The way it appears in the record makes it difficult to know exactly who did what to whom over 100 years after the word was entered in the record. The priest who wrote the word obviously clearly understood what he intended to convey. The difficulty in 2017 is that words the priest left as understood in 1897 are not clearly understood now as they were to him. The words which were left as understood are the subject,“I”, and the direct object “him” or “her” or possibly “them”.

Possible clues are that the record is info compiled for the announcement of the banns in the parish of Kopyczynce. (The banns were announced in both the parish of the bride and the parish of the groom.) The handwriting of the word is obviously not the same as that found in the rest of the entry and thus the word was not entered by the same person who wrote the body of the entry and was entered after the body of the entry. (The same can be said of the date of the wedding in the Traus marriage record.) Weddings were to take place in the parish of the bride, although the pastor of the bride’s parish could delegate another priest to witness the marriage. Sometimes the pastor of a parish would have an assistant take care of entering records and sometimes he would hire a scribe to enter the information into the register.

The long and short of it is that there are quite a few questions about the single word in the record and from what is recorded one cannot determine who was the “I” who wrote the word and who was the direct object of that verb. The answers possibly will never be 100% certain and will require a judgment call based on the clues and evidence found in this and possibly other records from the same parish.

Sorry that all I am able to do is give you the meaning of the word and point out some possibilities for determining who is who in regard to that verb.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave

Dave, if I could butt in here. I have run into this word many times also. It is always when the bride and groom are from different parishes and you can find two records for this marriage; one in each parish. Only one will say "dismissi" and it will be at an earlier date than the other. It does mean as you said: "handed over to" more or less. The priest in the parish where the actual marriage is NOT occurring prepares this and I think a copy is delivered to the other parish. I think it is both an "okay" that the party can get married but probably more so: that the person's spiritual care is been handed over to the new parish. Not sure if it equates with an actual physical move, but it does seem to imply that. I never investigated where the children wind up being born.
BobJan
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 pm      Post subject: Re: 1st cousins?

dnowicki wrote:
BobJan wrote:

Thanx again.

Bob,

Here is a transcription and translation of the pertinent section of the record:

...ab...Episcopo Matansi(?) a secundo consanguinitatis gradu aequali* et tertio consanguinitatis gradu etiam aequal dispensatione et nullo alio impedimento detecto…

A dispensation from the equal* second degree of consanguinity and also from the equal* third degree of consanguinity (was granted) by...the Bishop of Matan??? and since no other impediment was detected…

Note: *aequali/equal: on both the part of the bride and of the groom (i.e. the bride and the groom were related by blood through two lines of ancestors).

The easy part is that they were cousins twice over. The tough part is to translate the degrees of consanguinity into our common terminology. For an explanation I would refer you to the explanation of consanguinity according to the current Code of Canon Law provided by Cathy Caridi at http://canonlawmadeeasy.com/archives/
Unfortunately, the method of calculating degrees of consanguinity is not the same today as it was in 1798. The explanation by Cathy Caridi is based upon the current Code of Canon Law (1983). The earlier Code was the 1917 Code of Canon Law. Prior to the 1917 Code there was no single place where Catholic Church laws were recorded. From what I’ve read, prior to 1917 there were some 10,000 canons recorded in various sources and some of those canons contradicted each other. The 1917 Code was designed to put some order into the cumbersome scattered canons of Catholic Church laws. I don’t know how to convert the 1798 second and third degrees of consanguinity into current degrees of consanguinity or into our terminology of first, second, third, etc. cousins. I can tell you that they were definitely cousins who at that point in history needed a dispensation in order to marry. The bishop of the diocese (who was also a cardinal) was involved because parish priests could not grant dispensations from consanguinity. The parish priest would gather the facts and then request a dispensation from the bishop of the diocese via the diocesan chancery.

Although I don’t know that Cathy Caridi would be willing to do the historical research to explain the 1798 degrees of consanguinity, perhaps you could contact her on her blog if you want a more definite answer regarding the degree of relationship between those two cousins.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Dave

Yes, it does help. Thank you so much again.
From the best I can determine at this time frame, consanguinity was being counted one-way to the common ancestor so from your interpretation, they are connected at grandfather and greatgrandfather and are both 1st and 2nd cousins. This family is confusing the heck out of me; probably a dozen Huther-Huther marriages; at least 21 Heinrichs, 15 or so Catharinas and Maria (Anna), Anna Maria and a bunch of Margarets and of course sometimes they use both given names and sometimes only the second. I will attach another record just for your interest. In the marriage of one of this couple's grandchildren, a family tree was included into the record. However, it seems there is a sooner connection that the one diagrammed, but I am still wrestling with that.
I have three great grandparents that are Hüthers in the same town. I am sure they are all related but probably 2-3 more generations back. Legend has it, they came from Switzerland after the 30 Years War.

Huether, Heinrich and Catharina Huether 1868 Marriage original.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  752.8 KB

Huether, Heinrich and Catharina Huether 1868 Marriage original.jpg

Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 am      Post subject: Marriage Record Translation

Hello Dave,

I have another record that I found that I need some assistance with. The place of the marriage is Nowosiolki (In Gmina Baligród, within Lesko County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship). I can make out some of the record, but other parts are more difficult for me. As always, any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. This is what I have:

They were married on November 13, 1904.

The brides name was Anna Mycyk. Her parents were Joannis (Ivan) Mycyk and Catharina (Kateryna) Drozd. Both were from Nowosiolki. It says she was born on July 26, 1874 ....

The grooms entry is Basilius (Wasyl) Soloninczuk (Solonynczuk) vel Czep????? <- Can't make this out. Son of Nicolai and Helena Czep????? living in Zabie ??????? ??????? ... no DOB for groom.

Thanking you in advance.

Mike

W Solonynczuk Marriage 1904.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  913.8 KB

W Solonynczuk Marriage 1904.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record Translation

Mrudnik wrote:
Hello Dave,

I have another record that I found that I need some assistance with. The place of the marriage is Nowosiolki (In Gmina Baligród, within Lesko County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship). I can make out some of the record, but other parts are more difficult for me. As always, any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. This is what I have:

They were married on November 13, 1904.

The brides name was Anna Mycyk. Her parents were Joannis (Ivan) Mycyk and Catharina (Kateryna) Drozd. Both were from Nowosiolki. It says she was born on July 26, 1874 ....

The grooms entry is Basilius (Wasyl) Soloninczuk (Solonynczuk) vel Czep????? <- Can't make this out. Son of Nicolai and Helena Czep????? living in Zabie ??????? ??????? ... no DOB for groom.

Thanking you in advance.

Hi Mike,

I’m no expert when it comes to reading vernacular names of persons and places but here is my best attempt. The name which follows “vel” (“or”) and the maiden name of the mother seem to me to e the same and I read the letters as Czepchek or possibly Czepchuk. The place name seems to be Zabie Makilawki or Mąkilawki Kotowice or Kołowice. My guess is that the place of residence of the groom is a village which was in Galicia in 1904, but now, unlike Nowosiolki, is in Ukraine rather than in Poland. I don’t know of a map of Galicia which would be sufficiently detailed to show the place. I would guess that it was not very far east of Nowosiolki but far enough so that it currently in Ukraine rather than Poland, but that is just a guess.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the area could give you better help than I can.

Sorry that I can’t be of more help.

Dave

Mike
Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:30 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:

Hi Mike,

I’m no expert when it comes to reading vernacular names of persons and places but here is my best attempt. The name which follows “vel” (“or”) and the maiden name of the mother seem to me to e the same and I read the letters as Czepchek or possibly Czepchuk. The place name seems to be Zabie Makilawki or Mąkilawki Kotowice or Kołowice. My guess is that the place of residence of the groom is a village which was in Galicia in 1904, but now, unlike Nowosiolki, is in Ukraine rather than in Poland. I don’t know of a map of Galicia which would be sufficiently detailed to show the place. I would guess that it was not very far east of Nowosiolki but far enough so that it currently in Ukraine rather than Poland, but that is just a guess.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the area could give you better help than I can.

Sorry that I can’t be of more help.

Dave

Thank You Dave, Any little bit helps. I have other records that say he was from Olszanica (Which is right near Nowosiolki in Poland), but did not see any village near there with this name. I will just keep looking.

Mike
Lori Love

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:42 am      Post subject: Latin to english please

I have spent hours trying to type each word into Google Translator but since I don't know the language, I am not sure what I am reading or what letters I am seeing. I got about half translated, but it still doesn't make sense. The two bottom entries are my family. The language is similar but they are a bit different. I would deeply
appreciate any assistance. Thank-you very much.

Joannan Nysiewicz and a Cielinski cropped.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.48 MB

Joannan Nysiewicz and a Cielinski cropped.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin to english please

Lori Love wrote:
I have spent hours trying to type each word into Google Translator but since I don't know the language, I am not sure what I am reading or what letters I am seeing. I got about half translated, but it still doesn't make sense. The two bottom entries are my family. The language is similar but they are a bit different. I would deeply
appreciate any assistance. Thank-you very much.

Hi Lori,

Here are a few preliminary remarks before we get down to the business of the translation of the two records.

Even if you had typed all the words correctly it is doubtful that you would have ended up with a coherent translation. A program like Google Translate does not do well with Latin endings and syntax. Then there is the matter of the record containing abbreviated and contracted words and the fact that some of the vocabulary used is particular to Catholic Church records. The record contains only two sentences---0ne long and the other short. Long sentences work well in Latin but tend to be run-ons in English. The translation is faithful to the Latin text but I rearranged some of the word order so that the English flows better. Much of the text is not of great genealogical importance since it deals with the legal formalities of the marriage. The way the Sundays on which the banns were announced is recorded reflects the Pre-Vatican II liturgical calendar. Currently “Sundays after Epiphany” and “Sundays after Pentecost” are called “Sundays in Ordinary Time”. However, some Lutherans and Episcopalians still use the terminology as found in the record. The bottom line is that the information is of no great import.

The Poznan Project lists the records as being from the parish of Izdebno but the entries clearly state that the parish where the weddings took place was Rogowo (Latin: Rogoviensis but truncated in the text). There is no Catholic Parish in Izdebno and, as far as I can tell, there never was a parish there. Attached is a picture of the church in Rogowo where the wedding took place. The current church structure was built in 1828 and consecrated in 1906 so it is the same building where the wedding took place. The patron saint of the church is St. Dorothy (sw. Dorota).

The Latin versions of the given names are translated into Polish since that is the language the parties used in daily life. The individuals in the records never used the Latin versions and probably didn’t know what their vernacular name was in Latin anyhow. Since you wrote that you’re not familiar with Latin I’ll attach a list of Latin given names with their Polish and English versions. It is just a list of names I’ve run across in records I’ve translated but perhaps you may find it useful as you do your research.

Anyway, here are the translations. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Top of Entry: (Village of) Czewujewo

Left Margin: 1846 #3

Body of Entry: On the 24th day of February, 1846, I, who (is named) above, after the three banns had been promulgated beforehand on three consecutive Sundays, that is namely the 5th, 6th, and 7th Sundays after Epiphany, in the presence of the people gathered together to hear the Divine Rites* and since no impediment had been detected, blessed the marriage in the parish church of Rogowo legitimately contracted between the upright** Łukasz Antkowiak, a single young man, 30 years of age, the son of Walenty and Maryanna Antkowiak, with the consent of his parents, and Justyna Cieślak, a maiden, 21 years of age, the daughter of Bartłomiej and Maryanna Cieślak, with judicial consent granted at Wągrowiec on the 15th day of February of the current year. The witnesses were Tomasz Strzelecki, a tenant, and Wincenty Zdzianski, a worker.

Top of Entry: (Village of) Grochowiska Księźe

Body of Entry: On the 27th day of September, 1846, I, who (is named) above, after the three banns had been promulgated beforehand on three consecutive Sundays, that is namely the 15th, 16th,and 17th Sundays after Pentecost, in the presence of the people gathered together to hear the Divine Rites* and since no impediment had been detected, blessed the marriage in the parish church of Rogowo legitimately contracted between the upright** Jan Nysiewicz, a widower, 27 years of age, the son of Wawrzyniec and Maryanna Nysiewicz, with judicial consent granted at Śrem on the 25th of September of the current year, and Maryanna Nyczanka***, a maiden, 20 years of age, the daughter of Wojciech and Franciszka Nyk***, with judicial consent granted at Śrem on the 23rd of September of the current year. The witnesses were Stanisław Nyka*** and Piotr Dąbroski, farmers.

Notes: *Ad audienda divina/to hear the Divine Rites = To participate in Sunday Mass
**honestus/upright: the adjective designated an individual as a peasantry
***Nyczanka/Nyk/Nyka: The syllable “czan” was inserted to form a feminine surname for euphonic reasons. All three forms are variations of the same surname. The Poznan Project indexer used Nyka for the surname of Wojciech. I used Nyk. I’m very familiar with the variations of the surname. I have Nyk ancestors on my maternal grandmother’s side going back to the late 1600s. They were originally from Jarogniewice, which is not too far from where this wedding took place. The surname regularly switched between Nyk and Nyczak. I can see no compelling reason to use Nyka other than that was the surname of one of the witnesses, who may or may not be related to the bride.

Screenshot-2018-2-5 Archidiecezja Gnieźnieńska.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.08 KB

Screenshot-2018-2-5 Archidiecezja Gnieźnieńska.png

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  65.59 KB
 Downloaded:  7200 Time(s)

Lori Love

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:43 am      Post subject: Family records in Latin

I am overwhelmed by the depth of your answer. I have a few questions but they will have to wait until tomorrow. I just want to thank you right away for the fabulous response. Very Happy
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 141 of 274

Jump to: