PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 am      Post subject: Help with Latin document

Thank you Gilberto. Yes, so it would mean that the ancestor is "known as Gasiak" or "known as Krawczyk, etc". But my question is what does Gasiak mean here? Would it be a nickname or a reference to where the ancestor came from or something else? Would you say that the other Zaleski people in records who are "known as Gasiak" are related? My ancestor is Antoni Zaleski known as Gasiak (see attachment). Would you say that Michael Zaleski known as Gasiak is related to Antoni? Would you say that other Zaleski people who are "known as Gasiak" are from the same family? For the most part, the Zaleskis who are known as Gasiak are from Zakrzewo Magna in the Wieczfnia parish.

DEATH ANTONI Z 1807 Zakrzewo[1330].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.09 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

DEATH ANTONI Z 1807 Zakrzewo[1330].jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:33 am      Post subject: Re: Help with Latin document

Mzaleska wrote:
Thank you Gilberto. Yes, so it would mean that the ancestor is "known as Gasiak" or "known as Krawczyk, etc". But my question is what does Gasiak mean here? Would it be a nickname or a reference to where the ancestor came from or something else? Would you say that the other Zaleski people in records who are "known as Gasiak" are related? My ancestor is Antoni Zaleski known as Gasiak (see attachment). Would you say that Michael Zaleski known as Gasiak is related to Antoni? Would you say that other Zaleski people who are "known as Gasiak" are from the same family? For the most part, the Zaleskis who are known as Gasiak are from Zakrzewo Magna in the Wieczfnia parish.

Michelle & Giberto,

The word is definitely "dictus", the Perfect Passive Participle of the verb dico. Like many basic words, dico has various meanings depending on the context. Here it means "called" or "known as". From records of szlachta families I've translated, often there were multiple branches of the family with the same surname which frequently used the same given names and thus a "called/known as" name was added as a sort of nickname to distinguish one person with a particular given and surname from another person with the same given and surname---especially if the branches of the family lived in the same area.

It is quite possible that individuals with the same added "nickname" are related. However, the proof comes by locating the records and using those records to determine the relationships. The only answer I or anyone else can give you is that it is possible that they are related. You are the one who has to find the records which prove whether the answer is Yea or Nay.

In the 1707 Zaleski-Krawczyk baptism the female sponsor is Malgorzta Chmilewska who is described as amita infantis virgo (paternal aunt of the child, a maiden) which doesn't make much sense since the father's surname is not Chmilewski. The mother's maiden name is Chmilewski. Based on the parental surnames, one would expect the female sponsor to be described as materterna infantis virgo (maternal aunt of the child, a maiden). The record requires an explanation for the discrepancy. Was the priest asleep in Latin class and did he miss the distinction between amita and materterna? Or was he just not paying close enough attention to what he was entering? Errare humanum est. It is discrepancies like this which make research fun.

Sometimes due to intermarriage between local szlachta families caused a maze of relationships which need to be untangled to find a definite answer about who is related to whom and how are they related. All in all, it makes me happy that my ancestors only had official titles like "kosa bearer".

By the way, did you have questions about the various baptism and burial records you posted or were they just examples?

Wishing you success,

Dave
Mzaleska

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:02 pm      Post subject: Help with Latin document

Hi Dave and Gilberto,
Thank you very much for that explanation. It makes sense and it was kind of what I expected to hear but I needed it confirmed. I have a Zaleski who married a Chmilewska so there might be a connection there. But even if the priest took a little nap, I can't fault him after all the records he provided us!!! Well, now the fun begins - this parish seems to be a nest of Zaleskis and they all used the same 5 or 6 surnames, so I have my work cut out for me. Thank you, but no, I don't need the documents translated. I have been able to make out these short records unless they use words that are out of the ordinary and not in my word list. However, I'll have to be a lot more detail minded after seeing your comment about "amita infantis virgo". My translation skills limit me to names, dates, place names and I guess I miss a lot of that kind of valuable information. I guess I'll be submitting a lot of documents to this site Wink for translation.

Well, thank you again.
Michelle

I wasn't aware of intermarriage although it shouldn't be a surprise.
crispm28
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 133

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:28 pm      Post subject: Cyp Anna Birth Record

Hello, I have what I believe to be a birth record for my GG grandmother. I would appreciate a translation when time permits. Her name is Anna Cyp. I found this on geneteka.genealodzy.pl but the scan sent me to familysearch.org
Poland Radom Roman Cath Church Bks. Kielce Zarnow Births 1802-1815 Image 86. There are two entries with the same name - the first, which I think is my Anna and the fifth one which appears to be similar. Please clarify for me.
Thank you in advance.
Christine

Anna Cyp -5th line.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.5 KB

Anna Cyp -5th line.JPG

Anna Cyp.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.98 KB

Anna Cyp.JPG

Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 am      Post subject: Translation Help

Can someone please help with the translation of this Marriage record from the Parish of Mosty Wielkie? It would be so much appreciated.
Thank you

image-2018-03-21.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.15 KB

image-2018-03-21.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:44 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation Help

Kurt1322 wrote:
Can someone please help with the translation of this Marriage record from the Parish of Mosty Wielkie? It would be so much appreciated.
Thank you

Kurt,

It is written in Latin. Please post it in Latin Records Translation.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for looking at it for me. You can see how much help I needed-haha
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:08 pm      Post subject:

Can someone help me with this translation please? It is a marriage record in 1863 from the Parish of Mosty Wielkie.

Thank you

303-Walter and Mary Marriage zoom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  939.8 KB

303-Walter and Mary Marriage zoom.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 am      Post subject: Re: Cyp Anna Birth Record

crispm28 wrote:
Hello, I have what I believe to be a birth record for my GG grandmother. I would appreciate a translation when time permits. Her name is Anna Cyp. I found this on geneteka.genealodzy.pl but the scan sent me to familysearch.org
Poland Radom Roman Cath Church Bks. Kielce Zarnow Births 1802-1815 Image 86. There are two entries with the same name - the first, which I think is my Anna and the fifth one which appears to be similar. Please clarify for me.
Thank you in advance.
Christine

Christine,

The two records are very close, but not identical. Both give the name of the child as Anna Katarzyna. The mother in each record is Anna. Both children are legitimate. In both records the birth took place in house number 1,

In the record which includes the column headings the date is August 4, 1805. The father is Mateusz (Matthew) Cyp. He is described as an “aulicus”, which means a courtier or the owner of the manor. The mother is the child of Daszkien(?) The male sponsor is Józef Kamper, a tanner from Kołowiec The female sponsor is Anna Faurayzel(?)

In the fifth line record the date is November 23 (1805). The father is Maciej (Mathias) Cyph who is described as “notarius proventus” which means a revenue clerk. The mother is Anna, the daughter of Katarzyna. The male sponsor is Józef Camper, a tanner from Kołowiec. The female sponsor is Joanna Kinazth(?).

The Latin given names Mathias and Mathaeus can be confusing---especially when the diphthong ae looks like an “e” and the final “s” does not appear as one would expect. However, they are two distinct given names. There is less confusion with the Polish versions, Maciej and Mateusz.

In my opinion the male sponsor is the same individual in both records although the surname is spelled with a “c” in one record and with a “k” in the other. I don’t know why the spelling of the surname of the fathers is Cyp in one record and Cyph in the other record. It is most probable, although not certain, that they are blood relatives since they both reside in house number one.

Hoping that this helps you,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 am      Post subject:

Kurt1322 wrote:
Can someone help me with this translation please? It is a marriage record in 1863 from the Parish of Mosty Wielkie.

Thank you

Kurt,

As a general hint...Records from the Austrian Partition until after WWI and from the German Partition until 1873 (officially) but often until after WWI (unofficially) were kept in Latin. Nineteenth Century records from the Russian Partition were kept in Polish until 1868 and then in Russian until after WWI.

I’m not sure of the place name where the groom was residing prior to the marriage.

The given names are translated into Polish with the English version in parentheses. The given name of the groom is Vladimir in English. Since you titled the image as Walter & Mary Marriage, evidently the groom decided to call himself Walter rather than the much less common Vladimir.

Here is the translation.

Hoping it helps & wishing you success,

Dave

The marriage record is entered in the columnar format and there are four major divisions of columns. The major divisions also are divided into sub-columns.

Major Division #1
Top: 1883
Numerus positionis =Number (of the marriage for the year): 4
Mensis = (Day &) Month : October 30 (1883)

Major Division #2: SPONSUS = GROOM
Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 1
NOMEN = NAME: Włodzimierz (Polish); Vladimir (English) Łażeczko, an iron worker/blacksmith, the son of the marriage of the late Piotr (Peter) Łażeczko Tekla (Thecla) nee Baczyńska, born in Rakowice, residing in Derewnia(?)
Religio = Religion
Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Viduus = Widower: Blank
Aetas = Age: 24

Major Division #3: SPONSA = BRIDE
NOMEN = NAME: Maria Tobiasz, the daughter of the marriage of Jan (John) Tobiasz, a shoemaker, and of Rozalia (Rose) nee Rossakiewicz, born and residing in Wielkie Mosty.
Religio = Religion
Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Vidua = Widow: Blank
Aetas = Age: 21

Major Division #4: TESTES et Conditio = WITNESSES and (their) status/ condition of life/occupation: Jan (John) Jacger (&) Eustachy (Eustece) Holinkowski, townsmen.

Final entry:This entry takes care of legal housekeeping. Here is the translation: A baptismal certificate on the part of the groom given at Rakowice on November 4, 1882 #65 and a certificate of the banns issued at Derewina(?) on October 29, 1883 #45 were presented. From the father of the underage (minor) bride, who gave his consent in the following words: “I, the undersigned father grant permission by my mark to my minor daughter Maria in the presence of the two witnesses to enter into the bonds of matrimony with Włodzimierz Łażeczko. +Jan Tobiasz, father; + Jan Jacger, witness; + Eustachy Holinkowski, witness. After the three banns had been proclaimed and since no impediment had been detected and since all the legalities which must be observed had been correctly observed, I, (illegible name), the curate of this place, blessed the marriage.
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:09 pm      Post subject: Thank you!

dnowicki

Thank you very much for the translation. I have several more documents from this, and surrounding Parishes. I did not want to flood the forum with these. Is there and email that I could send multiple documents to and make a contribution?

Kurt
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:45 am      Post subject: Re: Thank you!

Kurt1322 wrote:
dnowicki

Thank you very much for the translation. I have several more documents from this, and surrounding Parishes. I did not want to flood the forum with these. Is there and email that I could send multiple documents to and make a contribution?

Kurt

Kurt,

You are very welcome.

There is no email address for translation requests. Your consideration in not wanting to monopolize the form is greatly appreciated. As long as you follow the guidelines published by Zenon and Aga (Off hand I don’t remember where exactly they can be found.) you need not sweat posting multiple translation requests. The guidelines stipulate no more than five requests per month and no more than twenty-five requests per year for any given language. In practical terms you can post five requests this week and five next week and everything is cool.

I’ll be happy to translate the documents as my schedule permits.

Thanks.

Dave
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:46 pm      Post subject: Help with Translation

Could someone please help me with this marriage record translation?

John & Rosalia zoom 1862 M.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.21 KB

John & Rosalia zoom 1862 M.jpg

violet

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 pm      Post subject: Request for help with baptism in Latin

Hi,

It's nice to be here, I have been reading through posts and have learned so much! Here is my situation: I am a hobby genealogist who is working on a friend's family tree. Their great-grandfather, Arkadiusz Karaskiewicz, was from Ladek and immigrated to England in the early 20th century. I found his baptism certificate online but what is different about this certificate is that it appears to be a certification created in 1908 of a baptism that took place in 1878.

I have attempted to translate the document on my own (using other translations from this forum) but am stuck on certain words and names. Here is my attempt:

In the year of our Lord 1878 day 13 of January, I, Maximilianus, curate of the Ladek parish baptized the baby named Arcadium (BLANK) born of the same month in the tenth morning hour the son of (BLANK) and (BLANK) of (BLANK) legitimately married Karaskiewicz. (BLANK) (BLANK) of people in Ladek. The sponsors/godparents were Paulus (BLANK) and Agnes (BLANK).

(BLANK) in Ladek day 24 July 1908 (BLANK)

(BLANK) (BLANK) parish curate Ladek

Any word that I have substituted with the word "BLANK" is what I'm stuck on. Also, I'm not sure I translated everything else correctly to begin with.

I appreciate whatever help is available, thank you so much in advance!

Violet

Arkadiusz-Karaskiewicz-Baptism-record-1878-1024x798.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.97 KB

Arkadiusz-Karaskiewicz-Baptism-record-1878-1024x798.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 pm      Post subject: Re: Help with Translation

Kurt1322 wrote:
Could someone please help me with this marriage record translation?

Kurt,

The image as posted (49 KB) is too small to be legible. The same was true of the first image of your earlier post (55 KB). The second time you posted it (939 KB) it was perfectly legible. Please re-post the 1862 marriage record so that it is legible and I’ll gladly translate it for you.

Thanks,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 143 of 274

Jump to: