PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:49 pm      Post subject: Jozefa Jackowska Birth Certificate Translation

Dave,
I have the birth certificate required for marriage of Jozefa Jackowska. I have attempted to translate it myself again and attach what I have done below. I know I have learned a lot from your translation of Jan Grzegorzewski, but I still have some open ends. Can you please confirm the items I have highlighted in yellow? Or do the translation for me again if it is easier.

I think I got the date right, but I highlighted it just to make sure since it is significant!

I really appreciate your help.
Thank you!
Dave Jablonka

Dowody do akt małżeństwa Józefa.-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Dowody do akt małżeństwa Józefa.-2.JPG

Slide1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.67 KB

Slide1.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:34 pm      Post subject: Re: Jozefa Jackowska Birth Certificate Translation

djablonka wrote:
Dave,
I have the birth certificate required for marriage of Jozefa Jackowska. I have attempted to translate it myself again and attach what I have done below. I know I have learned a lot from your translation of Jan Grzegorzewski, but I still have some open ends. Can you please confirm the items I have highlighted in yellow? Or do the translation for me again if it is easier.

I think I got the date right, but I highlighted it just to make sure since it is significant!

Thank you!
Dave Jablonka

Dave,

Your transcription and translation is much better than what you did for the previous record. The date is important since it provides not only the date of baptism but also the information needed to determine her date of birth (born yesterday). Although in contemporary Polish the name Marianna is spelled the same in Polish as in Latin, I prefer to use the 19th Century spelling as Maryanna since that is the spelling used during the time period when the individuals lived and when the record was composed. Since surnames are always in Polish rather than in Latin they depend on the interpretation of the handwriting to determine the name. I make no claim that my reading is better than that of anyone else.

The final paragraph uses formal legal language to state that the above extract is faithful to the original. It uses quite a few expressions which make for good idiomatic Latin but which, when translated, make for stilted English. I usually try to translate such legal statements into decent English which remains faithful to the Latin. This may make it a bit more for you to identify which set of English words is a translation of which set of Latin words. A good example is “ad verbum” (literally: “to the word”). Here the preposition “ad” is used to express conformity. “Verbatim” is the English expression which captures the meaning of “ad verbum” while being better English than the absolutely literal translation.

I don’t know whether or not you studied Latin in school but there are several things about the language which are important to keep in mind. Of prime importance is that Latin words are made up of two parts---a stem, which provides the base meaning of the word, and an ending, which shows how the word is being used in a sentence. Word position is not so important. In the body of the record the words infantem, Josephatam, natam, and filiam are all connected, not by position, but because they are all in the Accusative Case. Taken together they are all the direct object of the verb “baptizavi”. In terms of grammar, the primary direct object is infantem. Josephatam stands in apposition after the Ablative of Specification---nomine (by the name of). Natam is a participle which modifies infantem and filiam is a noun which stands in apposition with both infantem and Josephatam. Although there are other ways to correctly put the sentence together I feel that the translation below makes the meaning very clear. For reasons I’ll not get into, spellings in 19th Century Latin documents often differ from what is found in 21st Century Latin grammars. A good example is Martij. The contemporary spelling is Martii.

Perhaps you may find a list of Latin given names helpful in your translations. I’ve posted the list a number of times over the years but will do so again. It is not an exhaustive list but is one I put together from names I’ve encountered while translating Latin records.

Anyway, here is the transcription and translation.

Dave Nowicki

1806[1] Anno Domini Millesimo octingentesimo sexto Die decima octava Mensis Martij Ego Carolus Witkowski C.R.L.[2] baptizavi infantem nomine JOSEPHATAM[3] natam heri famat(orum) Francisci Jackowski et Catharinae de Przybysze C.C.L.L.[4] filiam Levantibus Famato Francisco Rudzyński cum Marianna Dąbrowska.

Quod extractum Metrices ex Libro originali baptizatorum Ecclisiae Parochialis Covaliensis quo ad verbum excerptum ob majorem fidem sigillo Ecclesiae munio et manu propria subscribo. Datum Covalij Anno Domini 1822 Die 25 Novembris.

Constantinus Nie???rzecki
Vicarius Eccl(isi)ae Coval(iensis)

1806[1] In the One Thousand Eight hundred Sixth Year of (Our) Lord on the eighteenth day of the month of March, I, Karol Witkowski C.R.L.[2], baptized an infant by the name of JÓZEFATA[3], born yesterday, the daughter of the legitimate Catholic marriage[4] of the renowned Franciszek Jackowski and of Katarzyna nee Przybysz. Those lifting (her) up were the renowned Franciszek Rudzyński with Maryanna Dąbrowska.

For greater credence that the metric extracted from the original Book of Baptisms of the parish church of Kowal is a verbatim extract I corroborate (this) with the seal of the Church and sign below with my own hand.
Given at Kowal on the 25th day of November in the Year of (Our) Lord 1822.
Konstanty Nie???rzecki
Vicar of the Church of Kowal

Notes:
1. The lines drawn through the year in Arabic numerals were meant to make it more difficult for someone to change the year as was the repitition of the year in written Latin numbers.
2. The letters after the name of the priest indicate that he was a member of the Canons Regular of the Lateran, which was most likely an honorary title.
3. Józefa (Lat.: Josepha) and Józefata (Lat.: Josephata) are two distinct names, which strictly speaking were not interchangeable, although sometimes women named Józefata were commonly known as Józefa.
4. C.C.L.L. was an abbreviation used to signify that the couple was legally married in the Catholic Church.

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  65.59 KB
 Downloaded:  624 Time(s)

djablonka

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:47 am      Post subject: Re: Jozefa Jackowska Birth Certificate Translation

dnowicki wrote:
djablonka wrote:
Dave,

Thank you!
Dave Jablonka

Dave,

Your transcription and translation is much better than what you did for the previous record. The date is important since it provides not only the date of baptism but also the information needed to determine her date of birth (born yesterday). Although in contemporary Polish the name Marianna is spelled the same in Polish as in Latin, I prefer to use the 19th Century spelling as Maryanna since that is the spelling used during the time period when the individuals lived and when the record was composed. Since surnames are always in Polish rather than in Latin they depend on the interpretation of the handwriting to determine the name. I make no claim that my reading is better than that of anyone else.

The final paragraph uses formal legal language to state that the above extract is faithful to the original. It uses quite a few expressions which make for good idiomatic Latin but which, when translated, make for stilted English. I usually try to translate such legal statements into decent English which remains faithful to the Latin. This may make it a bit more for you to identify which set of English words is a translation of which set of Latin words. A good example is “ad verbum” (literally: “to the word”). Here the preposition “ad” is used to express conformity. “Verbatim” is the English expression which captures the meaning of “ad verbum” while being better English than the absolutely literal translation.

I don’t know whether or not you studied Latin in school but there are several things about the language which are important to keep in mind. Of prime importance is that Latin words are made up of two parts---a stem, which provides the base meaning of the word, and an ending, which shows how the word is being used in a sentence. Word position is not so important. In the body of the record the words infantem, Josephatam, natam, and filiam are all connected, not by position, but because they are all in the Accusative Case. Taken together they are all the direct object of the verb “baptizavi”. In terms of grammar, the primary direct object is infantem. Josephatam stands in apposition after the Ablative of Specification---nomine (by the name of). Natam is a participle which modifies infantem and filiam is a noun which stands in apposition with both infantem and Josephatam. Although there are other ways to correctly put the sentence together I feel that the translation below makes the meaning very clear. For reasons I’ll not get into, spellings in 19th Century Latin documents often differ from what is found in 21st Century Latin grammars. A good example is Martij. The contemporary spelling is Martii.

Perhaps you may find a list of Latin given names helpful in your translations. I’ve posted the list a number of times over the years but will do so again. It is not an exhaustive list but is one I put together from names I’ve encountered while translating Latin records.

Anyway, here is the transcription and translation.

Dave Nowicki

1806[1] Anno Domini Millesimo octingentesimo sexto Die decima octava Mensis Martij Ego Carolus Witkowski C.R.L.[2] baptizavi infantem nomine JOSEPHATAM[3] natam heri famat(orum) Francisci Jackowski et Catharinae de Przybysze C.C.L.L.[4] filiam Levantibus Famato Francisco Rudzyński cum Marianna Dąbrowska.

Quod extractum Metrices ex Libro originali baptizatorum Ecclisiae Parochialis Covaliensis quo ad verbum excerptum ob majorem fidem sigillo Ecclesiae munio et manu propria subscribo. Datum Covalij Anno Domini 1822 Die 25 Novembris.

Constantinus Nie???rzecki
Vicarius Eccl(isi)ae Coval(iensis)

1806[1] In the One Thousand Eight hundred Sixth Year of (Our) Lord on the eighteenth day of the month of March, I, Karol Witkowski C.R.L.[2], baptized an infant by the name of JÓZEFATA[3], born yesterday, the daughter of the legitimate Catholic marriage[4] of the renowned Franciszek Jackowski and of Katarzyna nee Przybysz. Those lifting (her) up were the renowned Franciszek Rudzyński with Maryanna Dąbrowska.

For greater credence that the metric extracted from the original Book of Baptisms of the parish church of Kowal is a verbatim extract I corroborate (this) with the seal of the Church and sign below with my own hand.
Given at Kowal on the 25th day of November in the Year of (Our) Lord 1822.
Konstanty Nie???rzecki
Vicar of the Church of Kowal

Notes:
1. The lines drawn through the year in Arabic numerals were meant to make it more difficult for someone to change the year as was the repitition of the year in written Latin numbers.
2. The letters after the name of the priest indicate that he was a member of the Canons Regular of the Lateran, which was most likely an honorary title.
3. Józefa (Lat.: Josepha) and Józefata (Lat.: Josephata) are two distinct names, which strictly speaking were not interchangeable, although sometimes women named Józefata were commonly known as Józefa.
4. C.C.L.L. was an abbreviation used to signify that the couple was legally married in the Catholic Church.

Dave,
Thank you so much for your detailed information. I didn't realize the crossing out of the year was so that it couldn't be changed. I had thought that the person doing it had written it in error and then crossed it out for some reason... I also appreciate your clarification on what the letter abbreviations mean. That was very helpful.
Thank you for clarifying the name Jozefata. I would never have know that and I appreciate being precise.
Thanks again for all you do. I really appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Dave Jablonka

treich

Replies: 167

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:18 pm      Post subject: Translation Request

Can the attached baptismal record from the parish of Rypin be translated? Thanks

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.25 KB

Capture.JPG

treich

Replies: 167

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:03 pm      Post subject: Translation Request

Please translate the attached baptism record from the Parish of Rypin. Thanks

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.34 KB

Capture.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:54 am      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

treich wrote:
Can the attached baptismal record from the parish of Rypin be translated? Thanks

treich,

Here is the translation from Zakrocz.

Dave

Zakroz. On the 23rd day of May I baptised an infant by the name of Andrzej born on the 21st day of the same month of the legitimately married NonCatholics Krystian and Ewa Trzychel. The sponsors were Piotr Bam and Barbara Domerowa.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 am      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

treich wrote:
Please translate the attached baptism record from the Parish of Rypin. Thanks

treich,

Here is the record from Rumunczek Kowalkowski.

Dave

Rumunczek Kowalkowski. On the 5th day of October I baptized th child Helena born on the 2nd day of October at the hour of 12 midnight of the marriage of the upright* Jan and Maryanna Gulki. The sponsors were Jan Kulka and Maryanna Gulka, all NonCatholics.

Note: *honestus/upright was an adjective used to describe a peasant farmer.
zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:00 pm      Post subject: Marriage Record Translation

I would be very grateful if someone could translate this record and the notes at the bottom.
Many thanks!

MR Antoni ZOLKIEWICZ & Katarzyna MAJKUD (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1017.68 KB

MR Antoni ZOLKIEWICZ & Katarzyna MAJKUD (2).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:32 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record Translation

zolkie wrote:
I would be very grateful if someone could translate this record and the notes at the bottom.
Many thanks!

Hi,

Please post the name of the parish the marriage record is from. It makes dealing with the geography involved in translating a lot easier and less time consuming.

Thanks,

Dave
zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:18 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

The parish is located in Czudec....Southeastern Poland (Galicia), not far from Przemysl.

Regards,
Jeff
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:13 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record Translation

zolkie wrote:
Many thanks!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for providing the name of the parish. It clarified the geography.

The final entry (the note) basically takes care of recording the legalities observed prior to the wedding. It does provide genealogical info regarding where to find the vital stats for the bride.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Here is the translation.

Col. 1: Series =Number (of the marriage for the year): 1
Col. 2: Year at top: 1869 Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of Marriage): January 19, 1869
Col. 3: SPONSUS = GROOM
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: The bride to the house of the groom #32
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Antoni Zułkiewicz, a tailor, a widower after Agnieszka Pałka and also the son of the the marriage of the late Walenty Zułkiewicz, a tailor, and the late Tekla Rylska
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 53
Col. 3e: Caelebs = Bachelor: Blank
Col. 3f: Viduus = Widower: Checked
Col. 4: SPONSA = BRIDE
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Katarzyna Otręba, the widow of the late Piotr Otręba, a farmer, and also the daughter of the marriage of the late Wojciech Majkud and the late Regina born of the father Sebastian Gołąb, born (refers to Katarzyna) in Wierzawice and residing in Czudec
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 47
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Blank
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Checked
Col. 5: TESTES = WITNESSES
Col. 5a: Nomina = Their Names: Walenty Zybura, Franciszk Zułkiewicz
Col. 5b: Condition = Their Status: Townsman, Townsman

Final entry: Provided on the part of the bride a baptismal certificate from Leżajsk signed on the 23rd day of September, 1868 and also a certificate of burial of the late Piotr Otręba from Leżajsk signed on the 29th day of October, 1867 and also of the proclamation of the banns on the Feast of All Saints, and then on 23rd and the 24th Sundays after Pentecost, that is, on the 1st, 8th, and 15th days of November, 1868. After everything which must be observed had been observed (illegible name of priest), the curate, joined them together in marriage.
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:52 pm      Post subject: Record 71: Krumka Death Record

Greetings:
I'm trying to extract the info of the attached death record from 1854, but my Latin is very weak and clumsy.

From what I make out, Andreas died October 11 in Bobrowo at the age of 68. His illness was uncertain and he was legitimately baptized in the Catholic religion.

I am unable to decipher the next column, and the one following establishes he was of the male sex.

The final column is confusing to me as it lists several names and ages. Are these siblings? I believe it is, but haven't encountered this before. Some of the names make sense to me, others not so much.

Any clarification on this information is GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you!!!
Joe

Andreas Krumka d 1854_3Q9M-CSZ5-1TXT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB

Andreas Krumka d 1854_3Q9M-CSZ5-1TXT.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:42 am      Post subject: Re: Record 71: Krumka Death Record

JGwizdowski wrote:
Greetings:
I'm trying to extract the info of the attached death record from 1854, but my Latin is very weak and clumsy.

From what I make out, Andreas died October 11 in Bobrowo at the age of 68. His illness was uncertain and he was legitimately baptized in the Catholic religion.

I am unable to decipher the next column, and the one following establishes he was of the male sex.

The final column is confusing to me as it lists several names and ages. Are these siblings? I believe it is, but haven't encountered this before. Some of the names make sense to me, others not so much.

Joe

Joe,
at 1 p.m.
the penmanship on 'cause of death' column is different from the other columns. It seems to me that is German language.
the last column: the latin word 'liberi' means children and the abbreviation 'cop' seems to be 'cooperta" = married woman. Therefore, Maryanna was married to a Koscinski and Jozefa was married to a Milczenski.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:23 am      Post subject: Re: Record 71: Krumka Death Record

Magroski49 wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:
Greetings:

Joe

Joe,
at 1 p.m.
the penmanship on 'cause of death' column is different from the other columns. It seems to me that is German language.
the last column: the latin word 'liberi' means children and the abbreviation 'cop' seems to be 'cooperta" = married woman. Therefore, Maryanna was married to a Koscinski and Jozefa was married to a Milczenski.

Gilberto

Joe & Gilberto,

As Gilberto said, Andrzej Krumka died at one in the afternoon on October 11, 1854. The place of death was Bobrowo. His age was 68. His status/condition/occupation was an innkeeper/guesthouse keeper. His was the 33rd legitimate male death in 1854. As Gilberto said, the cause of death is in German. Perhaps you should ask Michael to translate it for you. Two entries on the page are in German and the remainder are in Latin. The information about his death was provided by his son ("ex ore filii" literally means “from the mouth of [his] son”) There was no charge for his burial. He was survived by his five adult children: Jan, age 45; Maryanna, married surname Kościńska, age 43; Michał, age 41; Andrzej, age 32; and Józefa, married surname Milczeńska, age 20 something (the last digit is illegible). The final column acts as a sort of obituary. A fair number of priests from the German Partition added such information with whatever additional details they thought important. Sometimes that info can be helpful in giving direction to further research. In this record it is safe to assume that Andrzej was a widower at the time of his death since no wife is listed as one of the survivors. Other entries on the page did include the name of a surviving spouse.

Gilberto, You have the correct idea about the abbreviation “cop.” but it actually is the abbreviation for “copulata” which is the Nominative Feminine Singular of the Perfect Passive Participle of the verb “copulo”, a First Conjugation verb. Participles, of course, are verbal adjectives. The verb “copulo” means “to join together” and when used in marriage records has the meaning of “to join together (in marriage). “Cooperata” is the Perfect Passive Participle of the First Conjugation verb “coopero” which means “to cooperate”. The noun derived from coopero, which is sometimes found in records (especially from Galicia) is “cooperator”, which is abbreviated as “coop” and means “assistant (priest/pastor)”. Words and abbreviations can often be similar but yet are different and not interchangeable. All this language stuff is no big deal here but accuracy often can make a difference.

Dave
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:19 pm      Post subject: Re: Record 71: Krumka Death Record

Gilberto and Dave:
Thank you VERY much for this information, which may require that I make some corrections to my ancestry line! I have long been working on the assumption/theory, that Joannes Kromka was Marianna's father. This record suggests otherwise! And now...the plot thickens!!

Thank you, Again!
Joe

dnowicki wrote:
Magroski49 wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:
Greetings:

Joe

Joe,
at 1 p.m.

Gilberto

Joe & Gilberto,

As Gilberto said, Andrzej Krumka died at one in the afternoon on October 11, 1854. The place of death was Bobrowo. His age was 68. His status/condition/occupation was an innkeeper/guesthouse keeper. His was the 33rd legitimate male death in 1854. As Gilberto said, the cause of death is in German. Perhaps you should ask Michael to translate it for you. Two entries on the page are in German and the remainder are in Latin. The information about his death was provided by his son ("ex ore filii" literally means “from the mouth of [his] son”) There was no charge for his burial. He was survived by his five adult children: Jan, age 45; Maryanna, married surname Kościńska, age 43; Michał, age 41; Andrzej, age 32; and Józefa, married surname Milczeńska, age 20 something (the last digit is illegible). The final column acts as a sort of obituary. A fair number of priests from the German Partition added such information with whatever additional details they thought important. Sometimes that info can be helpful in giving direction to further research. In this record it is safe to assume that Andrzej was a widower at the time of his death since no wife is listed as one of the survivors. Other entries on the page did include the name of a surviving spouse.

Gilberto, You have the correct idea about the abbreviation “cop.” but it actually is the abbreviation for “copulata” which is the Nominative Feminine Singular of the Perfect Passive Participle of the verb “copulo”, a First Conjugation verb. Participles, of course, are verbal adjectives. The verb “copulo” means “to join together” and when used in marriage records has the meaning of “to join together (in marriage). “Cooperata” is the Perfect Passive Participle of the First Conjugation verb “coopero” which means “to cooperate”. The noun derived from coopero, which is sometimes found in records (especially from Galicia) is “cooperator”, which is abbreviated as “coop” and means “assistant (priest/pastor)”. Words and abbreviations can often be similar but yet are different and not interchangeable. All this language stuff is no big deal here but accuracy often can make a difference.

Dave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 147 of 274

Jump to: