PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:25 am      Post subject: 1837 Death Record

I'm having a real challenge reading the attached record for Andreas Nehring. I've got the name, age, date of death, and first name of his wife, but the rest eludes me.

The listing is record 5 in 1837.

Greatly appreciate your help in translating the rest...thank you so much!

Andreas Nehring d 1837.jpg
 Description:
Record 5, 1837
 Filesize:  1.65 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Andreas Nehring d 1837.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:11 pm      Post subject: Re: 1837 Death Record

JGwizdowski wrote:
I'm having a real challenge reading the attached record for Andreas Nehring. I've got the name, age, date of death, and first name of his wife, but the rest eludes me.

Joe,

Here are the translations according to col. headings. I'm not sure of the geography and the given name of the wife is unusual.

Dave

Status = state of life/condition: uxoratus pauper = a married pauper

Morbus ex quo obiit = The disease from which he died: debilitas = weakness

Dies et mensis sepulturae = The day and month of burial: 19 ejusdem = the 19th of the same (month) = February 19, 1837

Locus sepulturae = Place of burial: Chelwiska(?)

Annotatio = Notation: Dereliquit uxorem Rosinam(?) et 3 liberos = He left behind his wife Rosina(?) and 3 children.
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:46 am      Post subject: Re: 1837 Death Record

dnowicki wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:

Joe,

Here are the translations according to col. headings. I'm not sure of the geography and the given name of the wife is unusual.

Dave

Status = state of life/condition: uxoratus pauper = a married pauper

Morbus ex quo obiit = The disease from which he died: debilitas = weakness

Dies et mensis sepulturae = The day and month of burial: 19 ejusdem = the 19th of the same (month) = February 19, 1837

Locus sepulturae = Place of burial: Chelwiska(?)

Annotatio = Notation: Dereliquit uxorem Rosinam(?) et 3 liberos = He left behind his wife Rosina(?) and 3 children.

Thank you so much, Dave! A great help - as always!!
Joe

kristesk

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:22 pm      Post subject: Translation

I have copies of my Great Grandparents marriage records. Although the copies are poor in quality, would anyone be able to help me. I am trying to locate the Plewa family in Lipnica. Any help/info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

1882-Oct-25-Plewa&Przybytko-marriage.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.64 KB

1882-Oct-25-Plewa&Przybytko-marriage.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation

kristesk wrote:
I have copies of my Great Grandparents marriage records. Although the copies are poor in quality, would anyone be able to help me. I am trying to locate the Plewa family in Lipnica. Any help/info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

Here is the translation. The column headings are from the form which seems to be the best fit with the info in the record. The wording of the headings may or may not be identical with those of your record since the form used was modified several times over the years but the basic titles of the columns do fit. The year should appear at the top of the page and the month of the wedding should also appear on a portion of the form not shown in the crop. I listed the year and month as you titled the crop. Given names of the individuals who appear in the record are translated from Latin to their Polish version. The Latin version was used only in records and not in daily life.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Dave

Col. 1: Series =Number (of the marriage for the year): 10
Col. 2: Year at top: Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of Marriage): October 25, 1882
Col. 3: SPONSUS = GROOM
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 176
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Wojciech, (son) of Paweł Plewa (&) of Anna nee Chmura
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 28
Col. 3e: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3f: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: SPONSA = BRIDE
Col. 4a: Numerus Domus = House Number: 118
Col. 4b: NOMEN = NAME: Katarzyna (daughter) of Jan Przybylka (&) of Małgorzata nee Mroz
Col. 4c: Religio = Religion
Col. 4c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 4d: Aetas = Age: 24
Col. 4e: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4f: Vidua = Widow: Blank

Col. 5: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Szymon Herod, (&) Szymon Plewa

Final entry: Signature of priest who blessed the marriage (not legible)
LadaClan

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 pm      Post subject: Family document translation

I have had this document for some time but never had it translated.
I have been told it is a legal document with many legal abbreviations and references.

Any help is appreciated. The document is / or references my 6x great uncle, Franciszek Gnatowski and family land
in Gnaty Zarazy (Pultusk area) of Poland.

-Dennis Gnatowski

FransDoc.JPG
 Description:
Family document
 Filesize:  277.57 KB

FransDoc.JPG

Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:01 pm      Post subject: Re: Family document translation

LadaClan wrote:
I have been told it is a legal document with many legal abbreviations and references.

Any help is appreciated. The document is / or references my 6x great uncle, Franciszek Gnatowski and family land

-Dennis Gnatowski

Hi Dennis,

What you were told about the document is correct. It is a civil legal document which deals with szlachta family land holdings and does contain legal terminology and abbreviations and contractions of legal terms. The description of the land in question is recorded in terms of landmarks which existed almost 250 years ago and thus some may be difficult to locate on a contemporary map. The document as posted is only the first page of the petition and ends mid-sentence. All these factors do make it difficult to understand parts of the document. Since I’m not familiar with the legal abbreviations/contractions used in 18th Century civil land documents from Poland, there are portions of the document I am not able to translate. However, there are also portions of the document which contain abbreviations and terms with which I am familiar and thus am able to read. Such a standard abbreviation which appears before the names of individuals stands for generosus/generosa (Polish: urodzony/urodzona; English: well-born), which was an adjective used to describe a noble (szlachta) who was the owner (or joint owner) of at least one village.

Attached is a description of Gnaty Zarazy as it was in 1827. It had 10 houses and a population of 55.

Anyway, here is what I am able to read. Unknown abbreviations/contractions will appear as (u.a.). Perhaps if you ever locate the remainder of the document we can revisit it. This is the best I can do at the present time.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Top: Number 60 220 Revenue Stamp for two groszy

Record (Polish: Akt) in Nowemiasto in the land (probably the powiat) of illegible on the 11th day of the month of July in the Year of Our Lord 1780.

Obligations Gnaty Zarazy
The wellborn Franciszek Gnatowski (u.a), son of the legitimate marriage of Józef with (u.a.) the well-born Ewa nee Miłob?dzka (u.a.), asks his full-blooded brother*, the well-born Michał Gnatowski, (u.a., u.a., u.a.) for the field which begins from the ecclesiastical/church road Winnicka for six stadia** to the forest and from the forest to (illegible word) Winniczka Mała between the boundary of Robak Gnatowski from one and the other part/side and (u.a.,u.a.,u.a.) Gnaty Zarazy land (u.a.) located in the district of (u.a.), with full use and all the fruits/produce with no exceptions (u.a., u.a., u.a.) from the Vigil of the Feast (End of page)…..

Notes: * germanus,a,um was an adjective used to describe siblings born of the same father and mother.
**a stadium (plural: stadia) was an ancient Greek measure of distance.

Screenshot_2018-09-25 Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, Tom II - wynik wyszukiwania - [...].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.68 KB

Screenshot_2018-09-25 Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, Tom II - wynik wyszukiwania - [...].png

kristesk

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:15 pm      Post subject: Translation

Thank you for the recent translation of my Great Grandparents marriage certificate. I am having some difficulty with my paternal Great Grandparents marriage certificate. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

1871-Jun-20-Bugaj&Grzyb-marriage.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  566.64 KB

1871-Jun-20-Bugaj&Grzyb-marriage.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation

kristesk wrote:
Thank you for the recent translation of my Great Grandparents marriage certificate. I am having some difficulty with my paternal Great Grandparents marriage certificate. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

Here is the Bugaj-Grzyb marriage translation. Some parts of the document are missing because they were cut off in the crop. If you have an image of the full entry and care to post it, I will add the missing data.

Hope this helps you.

Dave

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): 8
Col. 2: Year (at top): 1871
Dies et Mensis copulationis = Day and Month of the marriage: June 20
Col. 3: Sponsus = Groom
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 126
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item nativitatis locus = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time (his) place of birth: Wojciech Bugaj, a gardener*, a widower after the late Zofia nee Kobos, the legitimate son of Wawrzyniec and Maryanna nee (literally: born) Jaszcz from Korzeniow
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 39
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelor: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower: Checked
Col. 4: Sponsa = Bride
Col. 4a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 68
Col. 4b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item nativitatis locus = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time (her) place of birth: Maryanna Grzybianka**, the legitimate daughter of Jan Grzyb, a gardener*, and Malgorzata nee (literally: born) Łukaszek
Col. 4c: Religio = Religion
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 4d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 19
Col. 4d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4d Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES (and) Their
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: Cut off on scan
Col. 5b: Conditio = Condition/state of life/occupation: Cut off on scan

Notation in Polish at bottom (Permission for bride to marry---part of the text is cut off but the translation of the missing words is based on such typical statements. It is in Polish rather than Latin because, obviously her father would not have understood Latin. His mark after his name indicates that he was illiterate.): I, the undersigned father grant my underage daughter Maryanna permission to enter marriage with Wojciech Bugaj in witness of which I sign in the presence of the above named witnesses. Jan Grzyb X (his mark), the father.
Notation in Latin: I, Antoni Bryndza, the assistant priest, blessed the marriage.

Notes: *hortulanus/gardener was a term which indicated a peasant who owned his cottage and sufficient land for a garden, but not farm fields.

**The feminine suffix -ianka was added to a single woman’s name and meant that she was the daughter of Grzyb---in other words we would call her Miss Grzyb.
LadaClan

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:57 am      Post subject: Re: Family document translation

dnowicki wrote:
LadaClan wrote:

-Dennis Gnatowski

Hi Dennis,

What you were told about the document is correct. It is a civil legal document which deals with szlachta family land holdings and does contain legal terminology and abbreviations and contractions of legal terms. The description of the land in question is recorded in terms of landmarks which existed almost 250 years ago and thus some may be difficult to locate on a contemporary map. The document as posted is only the first page of the petition and ends mid-sentence. All these factors do make it difficult to understand parts of the document. Since I’m not familiar with the legal abbreviations/contractions used in 18th Century civil land documents from Poland, there are portions of the document I am not able to translate. However, there are also portions of the document which contain abbreviations and terms with which I am familiar and thus am able to read. Such a standard abbreviation which appears before the names of individuals stands for generosus/generosa (Polish: urodzony/urodzona; English: well-born), which was an adjective used to describe a noble (szlachta) who was the owner (or joint owner) of at least one village.

Attached is a description of Gnaty Zarazy as it was in 1827. It had 10 houses and a population of 55.

Anyway, here is what I am able to read. Unknown abbreviations/contractions will appear as (u.a.). Perhaps if you ever locate the remainder of the document we can revisit it. This is the best I can do at the present time.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Record (Polish: Akt) in Nowemiasto in the land (probably the powiat) of illegible on the 11th day of the month of July in the Year of Our Lord 1780.

Obligations Gnaty Zarazy
The wellborn Franciszek Gnatowski (u.a), son of the legitimate marriage of Józef with (u.a.) the well-born Ewa nee Miłob?dzka (u.a.), asks his full-blooded brother*, the well-born Michał Gnatowski, (u.a., u.a., u.a.) for the field which begins from the ecclesiastical/church road Winnicka for six stadia** to the forest and from the forest to (illegible word) Winniczka Mała between the boundary of Robak Gnatowski from one and the other part/side and (u.a.,u.a.,u.a.) Gnaty Zarazy land (u.a.) located in the district of (u.a.), with full use and all the fruits/produce with no exceptions (u.a., u.a., u.a.) from the Vigil of the Feast (End of page)…..

Notes: * germanus,a,um was an adjective used to describe siblings born of the same father and mother.

Dave,
Thank you VERY much! I went back and asked for and received the 2nd page! I wouldn't have known there was a second page without your help!

-Dennis

FransDoc2.JPG
 Description:
Page 2 of "Franciszek" document.
 Filesize:  119.67 KB

FransDoc2.JPG

Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 pm      Post subject: Re: Family document translation

LadaClan wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
LadaClan wrote:

-Dennis Gnatowski

Hi Dennis,

Wishing you success,

Dave

Obligations Gnaty Zarazy

Dave,
Thank you VERY much! I went back and asked for and received the 2nd page! I wouldn't have known there was a second page without your help!

-Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I believe you were sent the wrong second page of the document. Here are the reasons: 1) There is no grammatical or content connection between the two pages. Given that the first page ends “from the vigil of the Feast...” one would naturally expect the name of the feast. The second page begins “in a future year to give...” No conjunction, no new sentence, just a major disconnect in thought and in grammar. 2) The handwriting on the two pages is clearly not the same. 3) The second page ends with the concessions to be made followed by two signatures (of those making the concessions). The two individuals are Katarzyna Pyrzanowska and Stanisław Pyrzanowski. They do not appear in page 1 of the document. Who are they? What are they doing signing in a Gnatowski document? All this taken together indicates to me that the two pages are not part of the same document. Sic mihi videtur. (So it seems to me.)

What is your opinion?

Dave
LadaClan

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:50 am      Post subject: Re: Family document translation

dnowicki wrote:
LadaClan wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
LadaClan wrote:

-Dennis Gnatowski

Hi Dennis,

Wishing you success,

Dave

Obligations Gnaty Zarazy

Dave,

-Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I believe you were sent the wrong second page of the document. Here are the reasons: 1) There is no grammatical or content connection between the two pages. Given that the first page ends “from the vigil of the Feast...” one would naturally expect the name of the feast. The second page begins “in a future year to give...” No conjunction, no new sentence, just a major disconnect in thought and in grammar. 2) The handwriting on the two pages is clearly not the same. 3) The second page ends with the concessions to be made followed by two signatures (of those making the concessions). The two individuals are Katarzyna Pyrzanowska and Stanisław Pyrzanowski. They do not appear in page 1 of the document. Who are they? What are they doing signing in a Gnatowski document? All this taken together indicates to me that the two pages are not part of the same document. Sic mihi videtur. (So it seems to me.)

What is your opinion?

Dave

Dave,
Yes, I agree based on your translation it makes no sense. I'll see if I can obtain the correct 2nd page.
-Dennis
Visit poster's website
kristesk

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:18 pm      Post subject: Translation

I am having a difficult time translating my maternal and paternal Grandmothers birth/baptismal record. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely

Susan

1887-Oct-17-Bugaj Franciszka-birth.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.93 KB

1887-Oct-17-Bugaj Franciszka-birth.JPG

1889-Jan-01-Plewa Marianna-birth.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  356.33 KB

1889-Jan-01-Plewa Marianna-birth.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation

kristesk wrote:
I am having a difficult time translating my maternal and paternal Grandmothers birth/baptismal record. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely

Susan

Hi Susan,

Here are the translations of the two birth & baptism records. For Franciszka: the month appears in the part of the record which is not included in the crop. Hope they help you.

Dave

Here is Maryanna Plewa.

At top: Name of Parish: Lipnica Dolna

Col. 1 N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: 1
Col. 2: 1889 Dies et Mensis = Day and Month: January
Col. 2a: Nat(ivitatis) = of birth: January 1, 1889
Col. 2b: Bapt(ismi) = of baptism: January 1, 1889
Col. 3: N(ume)ro Domus = at house number: 176
Col. 4: Nomen Baptisati = Name of person baptized: Maryanna
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Notation at top of Cols. 5-9: The Year 1889. Those born in Lipnica Dolna
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica= Non-Catholic: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Checked
Col. 7: Thori = of the (marital) bed
Col. 7a: Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: PATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = The name of the father and the first and surname of his parents (i.e. the paternal grandparents of the child) and his condition/status/occupation: Wojciech Plewa, the son of Paweł and of Anna nee Chmura, farmers
Col. 8b: MATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio = The name of the mother and also the first and surnames of her parents (i.e. the maternal grandparents of the child) and their condition/status/occupation: Katarzyna Przybytko, the daughter of Jan and of Małgorzata nee Mróz
Col. 9: PATRINI = Sponsors EORUM = Their
Col. 9a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname(s) Michał Obal; Salomea Plewa
Col. 9b: Conditio = Condition/Occupation/ Status: Framer; Farmer

Notation in Cols. 5-9: The midwife was Anna Włodarczyk. Stanisław Swiercz??ski, the curate, baptized (her).

Here is Franciszka Bugaj:

Col. 1 N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: 69
Col. 2: 1887 Dies et Mensis = Day and Month: not shown on crop
Col. 2a: Nat(ivitatis) = of birth: ……..17, 1887
Col. 2b: Bapt(ismi) = of baptism: ……. 23, 188
Col. 3: N(ume)ro Domus = at house number: 128(?)
Col. 4: Nomen Baptisati = Name of person baptized: Franciszka
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica= Non-Catholic: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Checked
Col. 7: Thori = of the (marital) bed
Col. 7a: Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Notation in Cols. 5-7: The midwife was Maryanna Mazur, not examined*
Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: PATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = The name of the father and the first and surname of his parents (i.e. the paternal grandparents of the child) and his condition/status/occupation: Wojciech Bugaj, a gardener**, the legitimate son of Wawrzyniec and of Maryanna nee Jarzcz(?)
Col. 8b: MATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio = The name of the mother and also the first and surnames of her parents (i.e. the maternal grandparents of the child) and their condition/status/occupation: Maryanna, the daughter of Jan Grzyb and ofMałgorzata nee Łukaszek
Col. 9: PATRINI = Sponsors EORUM = Their
Col. 9a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname(s) Jan Cholewa; Maryanna, the wife of Tomasz Gac
Col. 9b: Conditio = Condition/Occupation/ Status: Gardner; Gardner

Notation in Cols. 5-9: I, Stanisław Gajewski, the assistant, baptized (her).

Notes: *By this time in the Austrian Partition (Galicia) there were two kinds of midwives, examined/approved and not examined/approved. It was a sort of licensing. Maryanna Mazur was an “unlicensed” midwife.
**Hortulanus/Gardener: a peasant who owned his cottage and sufficient land for a garden but no farm fields.
ceg0720

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:49 pm      Post subject: Translation needed

Just joined .. I found this entry for my great-grandfather and great-grandmother .. have been able to figure out their ages, their parents names (and in the case of my great-grandmother that she was illegitimate) ... what I can't figure out is all the entries afterwards .. hope someone can help. Thank you.

JosefPuc.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.75 KB

JosefPuc.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 148 of 274

Jump to: