PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Pawyza child

crispm28 wrote:
Hello Dave, I have found another document which I believe to show the birth of a child born to Bartlomiej Pawyza and Marianna Bies. It is the fourth entry on the left side. Could you please complete the translation for me. Thank you again for all you great work.
Christine

Hi Christine,

I'll gladly translate the doc but please let me know the name of the parish where the baptism took place. Knowing the geographical context makes it easier to translate the record.

Thanks.

Dave
crispm28
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 133

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:18 pm      Post subject: Pawyza child

Hi Dave. I found this on Family Search. I believe what your looking for is Łódź Dzietzkowice. Christine
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:44 pm      Post subject: Re: Pawyza child

crispm28 wrote:
Hi Dave. I found this on Family Search. I believe what your looking for is Łódź Dzietzkowice. Christine

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the geographical info. Without it I would never have seen the truncated fourth word in the second line as the Latin version of Dzietrzkowice. Surnames are my best, but not certain, interpretation of the handwriting.

Just a bit of trivia...the following entry records the fact that the dean of the area checked the entries in the register during the pastoral visitation on Nov. 24, 1730. It has no connection to any of the other entries on the page.

Anyway here is the translation.

Dave

On the 18th day of November (1730) the Reverend Adam Smolnicki, vicar* of the church of Dzietrzkowice, baptized Andrew, the son of the legitimate marriage of Bartłomiej and Maryanna Pawyza. The sponsors lifting (him) up from the holy font were Jan Wandega? and also Agnieszka Gawełczyna(?).

Note: vicarius/vicar: Here the meaning is “assistant” priest. The curatus/curate (the pastor who was responsible for “the cure” of souls) appears in several other entries in the image. Sometimes curatus and vicarius are synonymous. Since technically the bishop is the “pastor” of all the parishes of a diocese the priest who is known as the pastor exercises his office as the assistant/helper of the bishop. That is not he case here since the vicarius in this record is the direct helper of the curatus without any reference to the bishop. The parish must have been fairly large to merit two priests.
All the above explanation and a dime will get you a transfer on any bus or elevated train in the city, like folks used to say in Chi-town when a transfer did cost a dime.
David2019

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:00 pm      Post subject: Varniai Lithuania Parish Death Record Translation

Hello,

Would someone be able to help me with translating the attached death record from the Varniai parish in Lithuania (1824).

Thanks,

Dave

Varniai Death 1824.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  472.95 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Varniai Death 1824.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:51 pm      Post subject: Re: Varniai Lithuania Parish Death Record Translation

David2019 wrote:
Hello,

Would someone be able to help me with translating the attached death record from the Varniai parish in Lithuania (1824).

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Here is the translation of the death record you posted.

A suggestion…In the future it would make it easier to read the record if you took a screenshot rather than a picture of the computer screen. The snipping tool works well for that purpose. Also, if you would use Firefox as your browser there is a builtin tool which enables you to take screenshots, enhance the image, save the image, etc.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Translation:

Left Side: Lipkalnie
Body of Entry: In the Year of Our Lord 1824 on the 20th day of January the well-born* Felicjan Giedwillo, the husband of the well-born Petronela, 73 years of age, from Lipkalnie, of the parish of Varniai, died after having been fortified by the Sacraments of Penance, Sacred Viaticum, and Extreme Unction **, whose body was buried in the parish cemetery of Varniai.

Notes: *Generosus/Generosa: Well-born (Polish: urodzony) = adjective used to describe the owner of at least one village.
**Collectively the three were commonly called “The Last Rites”. Viaticum is Communion received on one’s deathbed which was supposed to fortify the person on the way/road (Latin: via) from this world to the next. Hence the first part of the name.

Last edited by dnowicki on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
David2019

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much. Sorry for the poor picture quality. The standard screen shots that my mac takes exceeds the 2MB size limit slightly (and I'm wasn't savvy enough to change it), so I resorted to my phone. I'll give your suggested process a try next time.

On the record/translation. I was looking for the death record for Felicjan Giedwillo (wife Petronella) from Polipkalnie in the Varniai parish - and was hoping this might be it. I guess it isn't.

Thanks again!
dnaresearch14

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:39 am      Post subject: Laurentius (Wawzaniec) Szymański baptism

This record is from a Roman Catholic baptism record in Dubkowce, Skalat, which comes from this archive. I think the 2nd entry from the bottom on the 2nd page "Laurentius" is the Latin form of my great grandfather's name Wawrzaniec. His birthday also matches what I already knew, and Policarp Szymanski was on the same homestead as Wawrzaniec in Saskatchewan. So it makes sense that Policarp is his father. I did my best to transcribe and translate the column titles and entries. Any help confirming/correcting is much appreciated. Anything in quotes is a transcription, and question marks indicate uncertainty.

"Mensis" month - August
"Natus" born - 11
"Baptisatus" baptized - 11
"obs" (obsetrix) midwife - Petrovsla Jeszrar?
-----
"Numerus domus" house number - 84
-----
"Nomen" given name - Laurentius
"Bapt" baptisatus "at infra" as below
-----
"Religio" religion
"Catholica" Catholic - yes
"Aut alia" or another - no
-----
"Legitimi" legitimate - legit
"Illegitimi" illegitimate
"Thori" bed
-----
"Parentes" - parents
"Nomen" - given name
"Condito" - condition'
"Policarp ni Szymański" Policarp Szymański
"textor fil Laurentius" weaver son of Laurentius
"et Pelagiae Kiernicka" and Pelagiae Kiernicka
"Malvina Hacrynska"
"filia Jan nii? Carrliz?
"nae Dobrogorska?"
------
"Patrini" - god parents
"Franciscus"
"Worbinski"
"Catharina"
"Rochana?"[/b]

66475319-041C-41D9-A144-983539CB11E0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  474.92 KB

66475319-041C-41D9-A144-983539CB11E0.jpeg

Last edited by dnaresearch14 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:38 am      Post subject: Re: Laurentius (Wawzaniec) Szymański baptism

dnaresearch14 wrote:
This record is from a Roman Catholic baptism record in Dubkowce, Skalat, which comes from this archive. I think the 2nd entry from the bottom on the 2nd page "Laurentius" is the Latin form of my great grandfather's name Wawrzaniec. His birthday also matches what I already knew, and Policarp Szymanski was on the same homestead as Wawrzaniec in Saskatchewan. So it makes sense that Policarp is his father. I did my best to transcribe and translate the column titles and entries. Any help confirming/correcting is much appreciated. Anything in quotes is a transcription, and question marks indicate uncertainty.

"Mensis" month - August
"Natus" born - 11
-----
-----
-----
"Religio" religion
-----
"Thori" bed
-----
"Parentes" - parents
"Nomen" - given name
"Condito" - condition'
"Malvina Hacrynska"
"filia Jan nii? Carrliz?
"nae Dobrogorska?"
------
"Patrini" - god parents
"Franciscus"
"Worbinski"
"Catharina"
"Rochana?"[/b]

Hi,

Please attach an image of the original record.

Thanks.

Dave
dnaresearch14

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Laurentius (Wawzaniec) Szymański baptism

dnowicki wrote:

Hi,

Please attach an image of the original record.

Thanks.

Dave

I edited the original post to include a cropped image of the 2nd page. Cheers.
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:14 pm      Post subject: Re: Laurentius (Wawzaniec) Szymański baptism

dnaresearch14 wrote:

"Mensis" month - August
"Natus" born - 11
-----
-----
-----
"Religio" religion
-----
"Thori" bed
-----
"Parentes" - parents
"Nomen" - given name
"Condito" - condition'
"Malvina Hacrynska"
"filia Jan nii? Carrliz?
"nae Dobrogorska?"
------
"Patrini" - god parents
"Franciscus"
"Worbinski"
"Catharina"
"Rochana?"[/b]

Hi,

The method I used to determine doubtful uppercase letters (as in the surname of the midwife) was to compare those letters to letters in known words within the record. Completions of abbreviations and insertions of understood words are in parentheses. Given names are rendered in Polish followed by the English equivalent. Patrini actually means sponsors, the official term for those who are commonly called godparents.

In the past I’ve posted a list of Latin given names with their Polish and English equivalents. If you believe that you would find such a list helpful, I would gladly post it again.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Transcription & Translation

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: Missing

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: August(us) = August

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 11

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 11

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 84

Note in Cols. 2-3: Obs(tetrix) Petronela Tesznar = The midwife (was) Petronela/Petronelle Tesznar

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Laurentius = Wawrzyniec/Lawrence

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Note in Col. 4: Bapt(isavit) ut supra = The one as above (Ignat[ius] Halko par. r. gr. = Ignacy/Ignatius Halko, the Greek [Eastern] Rite pastor) baptized (him).

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Blank

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Nomen = Name(s): Polycarpus Szymański textor fil(ius) Laurentii et Pelagiae Kiernicka = Polikarp/Polycarp Szymański, a weaver, the son of Wawrzyniec/Lawrence (Szymański) and of Pelagia* née Kiernicka
Malvina Haczyńska filia Joan(n)is (et) Carolinae Dobrogorska = Malwina/Malvina Haczyńska, the daughter of Jan/John (Haczyński) (&) of Karolina/Caroline née Dobrogorska
Col. 7b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation Blank

Col. 8a: Patrini = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: Franciscus Worbinski; Catharina Rochana = Franciszek/Francis Wrobinski; Katarzyna/Catherine Rochana
Col. 8b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation rusti(ci) = rustics/peasants

Note: *Pelagia has no good English equivalent. Some immigrants with this name called themselves Pearl

Last edited by dnowicki on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
dnaresearch14

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Laurentius (Wawzaniec) Szymański baptism

Dave,
I appreciate your help. Your tips about using other areas of the document as a key is something I will put into practice going forward. And if you wouldn't mind, posting that list of Latin names would definitely be helpful. Both my maternal grandparents are Catholic and Polish, so I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time going through records written in Latin.

Could you please clarify some things for me?

• Since Col. 7b is blank, did the latin word "textor" mean Wawrzyniec's occupation was a weaver?
    dnowicki wrote:

Polycarpus Szymański textor fil(ius) Laurentii

• Is "Dobrogorska wrence" a typo?
    dnowicki wrote:

the son of Wawrzyniec/Lawrence Dobrogorska wrence (Szymański)

• In summary

• Child: Wawrzyniec Szymański
    • Father: Polikarp/Polycarp Szymański
    • Paternal grandparents: Wawrzyniec Szymański and Pelagia nee Kiernicka
    • Mother: Malwina/Malvina Haczyńska
    • Maternal grandparents: Jan/John Haczyński and Karolina/Caroline nee Dobrogorska

Thanks,
Justin
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Laurentius (Wawzaniec) Szymański baptism

dnaresearch14 wrote:
Dave,
I appreciate your help. Your tips about using other areas of the document as a key is something I will put into practice going forward. And if you wouldn't mind, posting that list of Latin names would definitely be helpful. Both my maternal grandparents are Catholic and Polish, so I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time going through records written in Latin.

• Since Col. 7b is blank, did the latin word "textor" mean Wawrzyniec's occupation was a weaver?
    dnowicki wrote:

dnowicki wrote:

• In summary

• Maternal grandparents: Jan/John Haczyński and Karolina/Caroline nee Dobrogorska

Thanks,
Justin

Hi Justin,

In Col. 7 Polykarp was the weaver. I just skipped over the word. The translation should read “Polikarp/Polycarp Szymański, a weaver, the son of Wawrzyniec/Lawrence (Szymański) and of Pelagia...etc. (Actually, the line was pretty badly messed up.)

The reason I listed 7b as blank is that the priest used both 7a & b for the text of the entry instead of as the headings indicated.

Yes, Dobrogorska wrence is a typo—or more accurately a messed up cut and paste. The line should read “the son of Wawrzyniec/Lawrence (Szymański) and of Pelagia...etc.

I really should do a better job proof reading. My excuse is that I was posting the translation while talking to my brother on the phone. Maybe I shouldn’t try to do the multitasking thing.

Your summary is dead on accurate.

The list of names is not exhaustive. It is just something I put together from names I encountered in my own research and in translations I’ve done over the years. A word of caution about spelling...The Latin given names as found in records admit of spelling variations and thus it is possible that you may not find a name on the list spelled as it is in a document—The female sponsor in the third record from the top is a good example. In the list it is spelled Eulalia (the correct spelling) and Yulalia in the record but it is the same name. I’ll not bore you with a linguistic explanation for how the variation happens.

Also, attached is a map of the administrative divisions of Galicia during the early 20th Century. If you have not seen it before perhaps you may find it useful.

Sorry for the inconvenience of the typos.

Dave

Galicia Administrative Districts 1910.svg.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.62 KB

Galicia Administrative Districts 1910.svg.png

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.05 KB
 Downloaded:  234 Time(s)

dnaresearch14

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:16 am      Post subject: Re: Laurentius (Wawzaniec) Szymański baptism

dnowicki wrote:
dnaresearch14 wrote:
Dave,

dnowicki wrote:

dnowicki wrote:

• In summary

Thanks,
Justin

Hi Justin,

In Col. 7 Polykarp was the weaver. I just skipped over the word. The translation should read “Polikarp/Polycarp Szymański, a weaver, the son of Wawrzyniec/Lawrence (Szymański) and of Pelagia...etc. (Actually, the line was pretty badly messed up.)

The reason I listed 7b as blank is that the priest used both 7a & b for the text of the entry instead of as the headings indicated.

Yes, Dobrogorska wrence is a typo—or more accurately a messed up cut and paste. The line should read “the son of Wawrzyniec/Lawrence (Szymański) and of Pelagia...etc.

I really should do a better job proof reading. My excuse is that I was posting the translation while talking to my brother on the phone. Maybe I shouldn’t try to do the multitasking thing.

Your summary is dead on accurate.

The list of names is not exhaustive. It is just something I put together from names I encountered in my own research and in translations I’ve done over the years. A word of caution about spelling...The Latin given names as found in records admit of spelling variations and thus it is possible that you may not find a name on the list spelled as it is in a document—The female sponsor in the third record from the top is a good example. In the list it is spelled Eulalia (the correct spelling) and Yulalia in the record but it is the same name. I’ll not bore you with a linguistic explanation for how the variation happens.

Also, attached is a map of the administrative divisions of Galicia during the early 20th Century. If you have not seen it before perhaps you may find it useful.

Sorry for the inconvenience of the typos.

Dave

Amazing, those are good resources. Thanks again for your help!
Send e-mail
zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:51 am      Post subject: Marriage Record Translation

Good morning!

Below are images from two separate marriage registers from the parish of Borowa in Galicia.
In each of the records, in the 'Testes' column furthest to the right appears the name 'Simon Skopinski'. Next to his name appears a word with appears to start with 'pater-' It almost looks like 'paterfome'. I couldn't find a definition for this term. I suspect it refers to his relationship with the couple, which would be very helpful as he is my direct ancestor.
Can someone identify what the words are and what their meanings are in the context of this document?

Many thanks!
Jeff

record-image_undefined (94).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  295.79 KB

record-image_undefined (94).jpg

Simon Skopinski2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  493.28 KB

Simon Skopinski2.jpg

zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:44 am      Post subject: Marriage Record Translation

I posted this in the wrong spot...it's supposed to be here in the 'Latin Translation' thread. My apologies!
I would be grateful if someone would take a look at it here: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=40890#40890

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 150 of 274

Jump to: