PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:22 pm      Post subject: Varniai Lithuania Parish Death Record Translation

Thanks Dave for the translation assistance! I'm glad to hear that you found something new and interesting in the death record (it's all interesting to me as it relates to my ancestors, but I always worry that it's probably tedious to you and the team).

I was wondering if the statement was going to tell me that her husband was the Director of Surveying or something (I wasn't sure what Ducatus meant). But the usage of the term "Duchy of Samogitia" is pretty neat too.

Thanks again - very helpful.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage translation

who wrote:
Can someone help to translate this marriage record from Latin to English. Thanks!

Hi,

From the length of the entry one would expect that the record would contain a large amount of valuable genealogical information. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The vast majority of the text lists aspects of Catholic Church Canon Law, as it existed during the Eighteenth Century, which were followed in regard to the marriage. In the text of the record information which pertains to the marriage itself is intermixed with legalistic details. For the sake of clarity I will separate the information which pertains to the wedding ceremony and to the bride and groom from the legalistic information which complied with Canon Law. The result will not be word for word translation but more of an extract and a summary.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Extract of the information which pertains to the marriage (la boda) and to the bride and the groom:

Date: The 13th (the second digit could be 5) day of the month of September, 1777
Location: Parish Church of Pułtusk in the presence of the congregation.
Groom: The “renowned”* Walenty Orłowski, Catholic, a single young man, a parishioner and a resident of Pułtusk
Note: *Famatus/renowned—an adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman
Bride: Elżbieta Langhanzanka**, Catholic, a maiden, a parishioner and a resident of Pułtusk
Note: ** The suffix -anka was used for a single female. I would say that the surname of her father would be Langhan. (Just my opinion. The “z” seems to be there for euphonic reasons. If -anka were added directly to Langhan the sound would not be pleasing to a Polish ear.)
Witnesses at the ceremony: Jan Bobowski, a professor, & Paweł Dobrzanski, a notary, & many other trustworthy witnesses.

(Unfortunately the good stuff like the age of the bride and the groom, the place where they were born and baptized, and the names of their parents are not found in the record.)

The Legalities:

The local bishop granted an indult for the marriage to be celebrated by the pastor of Pułtusk or his delegate without the usual banns based on what the pastor discovered, namely that the bride and the groom are giving their mutual consent freely, that they are both Catholics, that no other impediment such as consanguinity, affinity, etc., etc. exists. The indult allows the wedding to be celebrated in the ordinary form with the customary nuptial blessing. The marriage is to be recorded in the parish archives.
who

Replies: 86

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:34 am      Post subject:

Thanks Dave!! Even though there is no information about their families, it is pretty interesting! Thanks for this helpful and valuable task!!
marksmt

Replies: 32

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:19 am      Post subject: Translation

Hi. I have an 1804 birth (I believe an extract that became part of an 1824 marriage record) for Ambrozy Gryszkiewicz and I'm really interested in a translation as I've never seen this type of document, which appears almost in letter format. His wife's extract was written in Polish, but this one seems to be more involved with markings from top to bottom. Thanks in advance for any help with the translation.

Last edited by marksmt on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation

marksmt wrote:
Hi. I have an 1804 birth (I believe an extract that became part of an 1824 marriage record) for Ambrozy Gryszkiewicz and I'm really interested in a translation as I've never seen this type of document, which appears almost in letter format. His wife's extract was written in Polish, but this one seems to be more involved with markings from top to bottom. Thanks in advance for any help with the translation.

Hi,

This document is the same in form and purpose as the Polish document which you mentioned. Both are baptismal certificates. The format differs somewhat from contemporary baptismal certificates in that the entire certificate is written in paragraph form whereas contemporary baptismal certificates are usually printed “fill in the blanks” forms. The reason that the baptismal certificates were kept with the 1824 marriage record is that the certificates were a portion of the documentation as proof of baptism presented prior to the wedding as part of the prenuptial prep.

The geography contained in the record was somewhat confusing and required a bit of research in an attempt to get a handle on the details. The certificate names two Cathedral churches—that of Sejny and that of Augustów. The diocese of Sejny-Augustów was established from a portion of the Diocese of Płock, and from the suppressed Diocese of Wigry in 1818 after the political tumult of the Napoleonic Wars and the Congress of Vienna. The diocese was suppressed in 1925 following the political changes in the wake of WWI. (The Catholic Church generally avoids having a diocese which exists in more than one political jurisdiction, which accounts for the changes in 1818 and in 1925 following the redrawing of national boundaries.) The political tumult also accounts for the survival of the verbose Napoleonic form of the marriage record. What still remains unexplained is why the signatures of the vicars of both the Cathedral church of Sejny and that of Augustów are found in the document.

Here follows the translation of the certificate.

Wishing you continued success in your research,

Dave

Baptismal certificate of Ambrozy Gryszkiewicz:

Revenue stamp for 10 groszy
Number 76

To all and sundry let it be made known and attested that the presents (i.e. this present document) from the Register of Baptisms of the Cathedral church of Sejny is found as follows:
Wiłkopedzie [repeated twice]
In the year of Our Lord 1804 on the 11th(?)* day of October Reverend Brother** Kazimierz Olszewski of the Order of Mendicant Friars*** baptized an infant by the name of Ambrozy, (born) of the legitimate marriage of the father, Jan Gryszkiewicz, and of the mother, Regina née Niewolowna. The sponsors were Wincenty Niewulis(?) with Anastazja Wasilawna, all from Wiłkopedzie

In testimony of which I sign with my own hand and confirm with the seal of the Cathedral Church of Sejny.
Given in Sejny on the 21st day of May in the year 1824

(Signature) Dominik Dutkiewicz, vicar of the Cathedral of Augustów

(In Polish): Sejny on the 21st (?) day of November
Seal
Augustowski (adjective = of Augustów)

Left Margin: I, Jan Dinochowski, vicar of the Cathedral of Augustów do attest expressly in the one thousand eight hundred fourth year.****

Notes: *The numeral appears to be 11, but a case could be made that it is 14
** As a member of a religious order the priest was known by his religious title of “brother”
***The mendicant orders like the Franciscans and Dominicans originated in the Middle Ages during the 13th Century. Since the Dominicans were known as the Order of Preachers, this priest most likely was a Franciscan.
****He is attesting that 1804 which appears as an overwrite in the body of the text is the actual year and not someone’s attempt to alter the document.
marksmt

Replies: 32

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 pm      Post subject: Thank you

Thank you for the Gryszkiewicz translation and the insight behind the document. I appreciate your assistance. Thanks!
Bchs0079

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:25 pm      Post subject: Baptism Certificate

Hello,
I have my great grandmother’s baptism certificate, however I do not know the translation. I am interested in tracing my roots and possibly visiting the town she was born in. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Stephanie

F7044BA1-7D22-41F3-A0E2-0FFBC3133A01.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.11 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

F7044BA1-7D22-41F3-A0E2-0FFBC3133A01.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptism Certificate

Bchs0079 wrote:
Hello,
I have my great grandmother’s baptism certificate, however I do not know the translation. I am interested in tracing my roots and possibly visiting the town she was born in. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

The certificate is partially bilingual. The printed section is in Latin & in Cyrillic. The handwritten entries are all in Latin.

The places named in the certificate are not in contemporary Poland, but are now in Ukraine.

In the translation which follows given names will appear in their Polish version, followed by their English version. Surnames in such records always appear in their vernacular form rather than in Latin. Surnames in this certificate do not use contemporary Polish spelling. They will appear in the translation as they do in the certificate. Any personal or geographical names of which I am uncertain will be followed by a question mark.

Attached is a map of the administrative divisions of the Second Polish Republic (Druga Rzeczpostpolita).

Wishing you success,

Dave

Translation:

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Empire* of Poland
Archdiocese of Lwów
District (powiat): Przemyślany
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 8
Right Side: Województwo/”Province”: Tarnopol
Dekenat/Deanery: Przemyślany
Parish: Pletenice

Certificate of birth and of baptism

The parish office of the Greek Rite Catholic church in Pletenice under the title of Saint Nicholas (Polish: św. Mikołaja) attests and makes known that in the baptismal registers of this church Volume III, Page 87 is found the following:

Col. 1: Year, Month and day of birth, Baptism and Confirmation: 1909 (in Arabic numerals); (In longhand) In the one thousand nine hundred ninth Year of (Our) Lord she was born, baptized and confirmed on the 11th day of August.
Col. 2: House Number: Pletenice No. 41
Col. 3: Name (of the one baptized): Anastazja/Anastasia
Col. 4: Religion: Greek Catholic
Col. 5: Sex/Gender: Female
Col. 6: The (marital) bed: Legitimate
Col. 7: PARENTS and their state of life/condition: Michał/Michael Kaśkiw, the son of Jan/John and of Anna née Baj?wska.
Anna, the daughter of Bazyli/Basil Hrycuniw(?) and of Katarzyna/Catherine née Baran, farmers from Pretenycki(?)

Notations in Cols. 3-8: The midwife (was) Kołodij(?). Rev. ? Ropdolskyj(?), the pastor, baptized and confirmed (her).

Col 8: The Sponsors: Mikołaj/Nicholas Ro(?)galskyj; Katarzyna/Catherine Sywulak, farmers.

I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the seal of the parish church.
Signature of the parish priest who issued the certificate with the parish seal is cut off.

Note: *It appears that the printed form was left over from before the end of WWI. Instead of Imperium/Empire the heading should be Respublica/Republic.

Poland 1930 Administrative Districts.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB

Poland 1930 Administrative Districts.png

Bchs0079

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptism Certificate

dnowicki wrote:
Bchs0079 wrote:
Hello,

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

The certificate is partially bilingual. The printed section is in Latin & in Cyrillic. The handwritten entries are all in Latin.

The places named in the certificate are not in contemporary Poland, but are now in Ukraine.

In the translation which follows given names will appear in their Polish version, followed by their English version. Surnames in such records always appear in their vernacular form rather than in Latin. Surnames in this certificate do not use contemporary Polish spelling. They will appear in the translation as they do in the certificate. Any personal or geographical names of which I am uncertain will be followed by a question mark.

Attached is a map of the administrative divisions of the Second Polish Republic (Druga Rzeczpostpolita).

Wishing you success,

Dave

Translation:

Top of Certificate:
Archdiocese of Lwów

The parish office of the Greek Rite Catholic church in Pletenice under the title of Saint Nicholas (Polish: św. Mikołaja) attests and makes known that in the baptismal registers of this church Volume III, Page 87 is found the following:

Col. 1: Year, Month and day of birth, Baptism and Confirmation: 1909 (in Arabic numerals); (In longhand) In the one thousand nine hundred ninth Year of (Our) Lord she was born, baptized and confirmed on the 11th day of August.
Col. 7: PARENTS and their state of life/condition: Michał/Michael Kaśkiw, the son of Jan/John and of Anna née Baj?wska.
Anna, the daughter of Bazyli/Basil Hrycuniw(?) and of Katarzyna/Catherine née Baran, farmers from Pretenycki(?)

Notations in Cols. 3-8: The midwife (was) Kołodij(?). Rev. ? Ropdolskyj(?), the pastor, baptized and confirmed (her).

Col 8: The Sponsors: Mikołaj/Nicholas Ro(?)galskyj; Katarzyna/Catherine Sywulak, farmers.

I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the seal of the parish church.
Signature of the parish priest who issued the certificate with the parish seal is cut off.

Note: *It appears that the printed form was left over from before the end of WWI. Instead of Imperium/Empire the heading should be Respublica/Republic.

Thank you Dave! The information you provided is incredibly helpful!
I also have a few other documents and I am not quite sure what they are.

Thank you again!

BEC5B60F-7387-4073-A784-28549AC397F0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  660.6 KB

BEC5B60F-7387-4073-A784-28549AC397F0.jpeg

AF097959-0EA4-4419-BEB0-0DADA815E0DA.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  772.24 KB

AF097959-0EA4-4419-BEB0-0DADA815E0DA.jpeg

9F81A570-871E-454F-87BE-CA062000431D.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  681.9 KB

9F81A570-871E-454F-87BE-CA062000431D.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptism Certificate

Bchs0079 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Bchs0079 wrote:
Hello,

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Wishing you success,

Dave

Translation:

Top of Certificate:
Archdiocese of Lwów

Thank you Dave! The information you provided is incredibly helpful!
I also have a few other documents and I am not quite sure what they are.

Thank you again!

Hi Stephanie,

Two of the three documents you posted are in Polish and one is in Latin. The first posted document (Świadectwo moralności/Certificate of good conduct) grants permission to travel to Canada and I see it as an exit visa or an emigration visa. The third posted document (Certyfikat przynależności/Certificate of membership) is somewhat similar to the first document. My take is that it also was a document needed for emigration, but I certainly have no expertise regarding the nature and use of civil certificates from the Second Polish Republic. Perhaps my good friend Elżbieta or one of the members of the PO team could shed more light on the subject, should they happen to read this post.

The second of the three posted images (Testimonium Baptismi/Certificate of Baptism) is a complete Latin rather than a bilingual form. However, it serves the same purpose as the earlier Birth and Baptism Certificate. It would appear that Anastazja/Anastasia and Mikołaj/Nicholas brought the certificates for future use when they immigrated to Canada.

The translations will follow and I hope that you find them useful.

Dave

Here are the translations:

Certificate of good conduct/Świadectwo moralności (Posted image #1)

Top: Gmina* office in Pletenice
I 393

In Pletenice on the 14th day of January, 1930

Świadectwo moralności = Certificate of good conduct
confirms by its authority that Miss Anastazja/Anastasia Kaśkiw, the daughter of Mikołaj/Nicholas and Anna, 20 years of age, of the Greek Catholic Faith, born in this gmina* and belonging here, comported herself during her residence in this gmina* beyond reproach or censure and gave no cause for reproach to this gmina* office.
This certificate grants to the petitioner permission for travel to Canada.
Seal and signature of the head of the gmina*
Given in Pletenice on the 14th day of January, 1930.

Note: *gmina is the lowest of the three levels of administrative divisions. It is similar to a township in Canada or the USA.

Certificate of membership/Certyfikat przynależności (Posted image #3)

Top Left: The Republic of Poland
Powiat** Horodenka
#1309/(19)26
Top Right: Województwo*** of Stanisławów
Gmina* of Serafińce
Two Revenue Stamps

Certyfikat przynależności = Certificate of membership
by the authority of the gmina* in Serafińce confirms that
given & surname Ruczowski, Mikołaj/Nicholas
character or employment: farm worker
age 19
state (of life): free
truly resides as a member/resident of this gmina*.
Given in Serafińce on the 24th day of February, 1926
Signature of Ruczowski, Mikołaj/Nicholas
Revenue stamp; seal and signature of gmina official

Notes: *gmina is the lowest of the three levels of administrative divisions. It is similar to a township in Canada or the USA.
**powiat is the middle level of administrative divisions. It is similar to counties in some Canadian Provinces and in states in the USA.
***województwo is the highest level of administrative divisions. It is similar to Canadian Provinces.

Baptismal Certificate/Testimonium Baptismi (Posted Image #2)

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Kingdom* of Poland
District/Powiat (County): Horodenka

Right Side: Diocese: Stanisławów
Parish: Serafińce
Number: 141

Revenue stamp Certificate of baptism Revenue stamp

The parish office of the Greek Catholic Church of Saint Nicholas in Serafińce attests and makes known that in the baptismal registers of this church Volume XI, Page 93 is found the following:

Col. 1: Year, month and day of birth and baptism: On the twenty-fourth day of May in the Nineteen Hundred and Seventh Year of (Our) Lord was born, baptized and confirmed (Date repeated in Arabic numerals 24.5.1907
Col. 2: House Number: Serafińce #595
Col. 3: Name of the one baptized: Mikołaj/Nicholas
Col. 5: Sex/Gender: Male
Col. 7: Parents and their status: Bazyli/Basil Ruczowskyj, a farmer in Serafińce; Maria, the daughter of Stefan/Szczepan*/Stephen Baczyńskyj and Irena/Irene Baczyńskyj
Col. 8: The Sponsors and their status: Grzegorz/Gregory Paniczewskyj, Justyna/Justine, the wife of Grzegorz/Gregory Zdrłyj
Notation in Cols. 3-8: Rev. Jan Łabacz, the assistant priest of this place, baptized and confirmed (him).
Revenue stamp
(Given in) Serafińce on the 26th day of November in the Year of (Our) Lord 1926

Signature of the parish priest with the parish seal

Note: *Polish has two versions of the name Stephen—Stefan and Szczepan
Moni

Replies: 28

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:04 pm      Post subject: Maybe a marriage record in Latin??

I can't be certain, but this might be a record written in Latin. If so, it's the first Latin record I've come across while researching my family history. Fascinating find! I realize this record has poor resolution, but because of my unfamiliarity with Latin, I cannot tell if the low resolution prevents those who know Latin from gleaning information. I did not crop the document to show only the record in which I am interested; however, I inserted an arrow pointing to the one (third rectangular slot from the top). I thought that maybe other records around it might help determine the year if the one I'm interested in is illegible. Please advise.

Here's what I think I know:
It's a marriage record between Martin Zilke and Catharina Tews recorded sometime between 1814 and 1823.
Somebody was from Trozyn.
Martin's parents were Georg Zilke and Marianne Fengler.
Catharina's parents were Georg Tews and Anny Zittlau

Thank you for any help deciphering this record!

Martin Zilke Catharina Tews.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.88 MB

Martin Zilke Catharina Tews.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 am      Post subject: Re: Maybe a marriage record in Latin??

Moni wrote:
I can't be certain, but this might be a record written in Latin. If so, it's the first Latin record I've come across while researching my family history. Fascinating find! I realize this record has poor resolution, but because of my unfamiliarity with Latin, I cannot tell if the low resolution prevents those who know Latin from gleaning information. I did not crop the document to show only the record in which I am interested; however, I inserted an arrow pointing to the one (third rectangular slot from the top). I thought that maybe other records around it might help determine the year if the one I'm interested in is illegible. Please advise.

Here's what I think I know:
It's a marriage record between Martin Zilke and Catharina Tews recorded sometime between 1814 and 1823.
Somebody was from Trozyn.
Martin's parents were Georg Zilke and Marianne Fengler.
Catharina's parents were Georg Tews and Anny Zittlau

Thank you for any help deciphering this record!

Hi,

The document is not in Latin. It is in German.

Dave
Moni

Replies: 28

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:14 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Dave!
crispm28
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 133

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:12 pm      Post subject: Smialek

Hello, I would greatly appreciate a translation of the attached document.
Thank you in advance for your dedicated work.
Christine

Smialek, Maciej b. 2-24-1622.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.46 KB

Smialek, Maciej b. 2-24-1622.JPG

Smialek, Bartlomiej b. 8-16-1618.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.43 KB

Smialek, Bartlomiej b. 8-16-1618.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Smialek

crispm28 wrote:
Hello, I would greatly appreciate a translation of the attached document.
Thank you in advance for your dedicated work.
Christine

Hi Christine,

Here are the translations of the two baptismal records.

24 I, Jakub Bozanlinus, baptized a son of the marriage of Sebastian Smialek and Anna to whom I gave the name Maciej. His sponsors were Jakub Dro?dzal and Katarzyna Mataignkowa(?).

16 I, as above, baptized a son of the marriage of Sebastian Smialek and Anna to whom I gave the name Bartłomiej. The sponsors were Szymon Kuzab and Anna Holepols?? anka.

The remainder of the image records the baptism of the daughter of a different couple. The dates of the baptisms should appear in earlier entries on the page(s).

Wishing you continued success in your research,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 152 of 274

Jump to: