PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:42 pm      Post subject: Info

My apologies, and thanks for responding. Both Piotrowski and Zaparucha records are from the Brzesc Parish (now Brzesc Kujawski). For Zaparucha, the family later lived in the village of Brzesc, but I don’t know where the birth took place. For Piotrowski, Roch/Agnes’s children were born in Pikutkowo, but I don’t know if the bride/groom or both were from that village when they married. The baptism seems straightforward but I can’t make out the vernacular for the father’s name or the name of the other twin. I’ve never seen a Latin marriage, so I don’t know what else I could provide to help you out. Thanks for offering to help!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:05 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin

Poland-Family-Research wrote:
Hi. I have two pre-1808 latin records that I would appreciate a translation.

1. The first is the baptism for twins with the last name Zaparucha from 1780 (I believe). One is Paul, but I can't determine the other. Also, their mother is Catherine, but I can't interpret the father's name. Perhaps someone who is familiar with Latin might have better luck.

2. The marriage for Roch Piotrowski and Agnes Surdynski from 1801. This is my first marriage record written in Latin, so I'm not familiar with the format to even begin trying to figure things out.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thank you for providing the requested info.

There is no common format for Latin Sacramental records. They were usually kept in what is known as the short paragraph style (as opposed to the long paragraph style in which records were kept in the Kingdom of Poland (Królestwo Polskie) in Polish until 1868 and then in Russian until the end of WWI.) They also are obviously not similar to the columnar style of Latin records used in the Province of Posen and in Galicia. Except for the short paragraph type of records the other styles were mandated by the civil government. The type of records you posted were mandated by the Council of Trent in 1575 for religious purposes as part of the Roman Catholic Church’s response to the Protestant Reformation. The Council mandated the keeping of records of baptisms and of marriages (Burials were mandated later.) but did not mandate a form for the records nor exactly what information should be included. Baptismal records are usually short and sweet unless the priest decided to add a lot of details. Marriage records were usually a bit longer. Some priests simply included the date of the wedding, the names of the contracting parties and the names of the two official witnesses. Others included the ages of the bride and the groom and the names of their parents. Others included details covering the legalities of canon and of civil law regarding marriages. The record you posted does not include ages nor parents’ names, but includes statements covering the legalities observed. The bottom line is that there is no template which would help you to discern the grain from the chaff in marriage records.

The baptismal record is short and contains the customary information. The question I am unable to answer is the given name of the second twin. It is not a question of reading the Latin, but of determining the letters as they were written, beginning with what the initial letter is supposed to be. You mentioned that you thought the year of the record was 1780. Images (no indexes) of the parish books found in the archive of Toruń’s Włocławek branch are online at https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/#query.city=Brze%25C5%259B%25C4%2587+Kujawski&query.suggestion=false&query.thumbnails=false&query.facet=true&query.sortMode=DEFAULT&goComments=false&query.query Included among the holdings are lists of the names of those baptized during the 2nd half of the 18th Century which were made for the civil authorities. I looked through the list for 1780 searching for Paweł and his twin, but was unable to find them in that year, A possible method to determine the name of the twin would be to search the lists for other years. The names on the lists are in Polish and were written in a different hand from the record you posted. I would recommend using that strategy until you find Paweł and his twin.

Anyway, here are the translations of the two records.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Baptismal record of the twins: Village of Stare Brześć/Old Brześć (The village where the birth took place)
On the 29th day of June I, the same as above, baptized two infants, twins, born on the 27th of the current (month & year), namely Paweł/Paul and (illegible male child), the sons of the legitimate marriage of the industrious* Tadeusz/Thaddeus and Katarzyna/Catherine Zaparucha. The baptismal parents of Paweł/Paul were the industrious* Jan Zakowicz(?) and Kunegunda Oslicka(?); of the illegible twin, the industrious* Ignacy/Ignatius Kwiatkowski and Kunegunda Kabakowna, all from the above mentioned village.

Note:*laboriosus/industrious: adjective used to describe peasants

Marriage Record: Village of Pikutkowo
On the 13th day of September, I, the same as above, after having announced beforehand the three banns in the presence of the congregation on Feast days (i.e. days when it was obligatory to attend Mass) before the people gathered to hear the Divine Rites (i.e. Mass), and after previously having examined** (the couple) (who) made their sacramental Confession beforehand, and received the Sacrament of Holy Communion and since no impediment, neither canonical nor civil had been reported, and after having received the mutual consent of both parties, blessed the marriage between the industrious** Roch Pietrowski, a single young man from the above named village, and Agnieszka Surdynska. The credible witnesses were Sebastian Radzinski (&) Feliks ?niewski, citizens of Brześć, as well as others.

Notes: *Usually the couple was examined regarding their knowledge of the basics of Catechism and of the common prayers.
**laboriosus/industrious: adjective used to describe peasants
Poland-Family-Research

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am      Post subject: Thanks

Dave - Thank you very much for the effort to translate the two documents and your insight into continuing my research. Thanks.
bigmakusa

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:02 am      Post subject: Latin Translation of 1820 Marriage Record

I would like to get a translation of this 1820 marriage record which is in Latin.

WM12_0673 - 1820 Dolistowo Kisla-Joka Marriage Record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  468.53 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Description:
 Filesize:  468.53 KB

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Translation of 1820 Marriage Record

bigmakusa wrote:
I would like to get a translation of this 1820 marriage record which is in Latin.

Hi,

Here is the translation of the marriage record. The major portion of the entry specifies the legalities which had been observed before and during the wedding ceremony.

Wishing you success,

Dave

The village of Dolistowo Stare

In the Year of Our Lord 1820 on the eighth day of the month of February, after the three banns had been announced beforehand on consecutive Sundays, of which the first was on Septuagesima Sunday*, the second on Sexagesima Sunday*, (&) the third on Quinaquagesima Sunday*, (&) since no canonical impediment had been discovered, (&) after having investigated their free consent and after other legalities had been observed beforehand, I, Wiktor Kawa, the pastor of the parish church of Dolistowo, questioned the upright** Józef Kisła, a single young man, eighteen years of age, and Maryanna Jokowna, a maiden, twenty years of age, both from the village of Dolistowo Stare, parishioners of Dolistowo, regarding their consent to freely join themselves in canonical marriage of their own free will and blessed them according to the rite of Holy Mother Church in the presence of the witnesses: the upright/upright** Jakub Klopacki, Jan Klopacki, Antoni Borkowski, and many others assisting at the rite.

Notes: * The Sundays 70, 60 &50 days before the Easter Triduum were known as Septuagesima, Sexagesima, and Quinquagesima Sundays prior to the reforms mandated by the Second Vatican Council. Since the late 1960s those Sundays are known as Sundays in Ordinary Time.

**honestus/upright: adjectives used to describe peasant farmers from a village or small town.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:52 am      Post subject:

Please help me to translate these two records, an 1805 birth record from Zgliczyn parish, and an 1801 death record from Bonislaw parish.

1801-bonislaw.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.49 KB

1801-bonislaw.jpg

1805-zgliczyn.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.54 KB

1805-zgliczyn.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:09 pm      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Please help me to translate these two records, an 1805 birth record from Zgliczyn parish, and an 1801 death record from Bonislaw parish.

Starshadow,

Here are translations of the two records.

Dave

Col. 1: Smilowo
Col. 2: 1801
Col. 3: August 11
Col. 4: The industrious* Maryanna, a recent arrival/immigrant from the town of Sierpc and a member of the parish of the same town, died in the Lord, survived by her husband, Stanisław Nowakowski, fortified by the Sacraments in her final hours, was buried in the cemetery of the parish church of Bronisław.
Col. 5: F(?) 19 (probably indicates that hers was the 19th burial of a female in that year. The col. heading should clarify the meaning.)

Note: * laboriosus/industrious: an adjective which designated an individual as a peasant.

Col. 1: Sławęcin (The number is a running tally.)
Body of entry: On the 26th day of February in the year 1805 I, Wincenty Jasienski, curate of the church, baptized an infant by the name of Franciszka, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of the industrious*Wojciech Orzedoski(?) and Małgorzata. Those lifting her up** were the industrious Adam Wieczorek and Józefata Marcinowska.

Notes: * laboriosus/industrious: an adjective which designated an individual as a peasant.
**levantes/those lifting (her) up: a circumlocution for the sponsors, commonly known as godparents.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:33 am      Post subject:

These are great, thanks Dave.
zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:50 pm      Post subject:

Good afternoon. I made a bit of progress in my search for my Gr-Gr-Grandmother. While I couldn't find her birth record, I was able to identify records of individuals who appear to be her siblings. I'm trying to extract as much information as possible from these records in the hopes I can narrow down the location of her records (or her parents').
As always, Thank you for generously donating your time and expertise in translating the records.

[/img]

BA Petrus Bochenski 1848 (cropped).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  854.67 KB

BA Petrus Bochenski 1848 (cropped).jpg

BA Michael Bochenski 1855 (cropped).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.42 MB

BA Michael Bochenski 1855 (cropped).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:58 pm      Post subject:

zolkie wrote:
Good afternoon. I made a bit of progress in my search for my Gr-Gr-Grandmother. While I couldn't find her birth record, I was able to identify records of individuals who appear to be her siblings. I'm trying to extract as much information as possible from these records in the hopes I can narrow down the location of her records (or her parents').
As always, Thank you for generously donating your time and expertise in translating the records.

[/img]

Hi,

I’m not sure how much help these two records will be in finding the location where your great, great-grandmother was baptized. Since her paternal grandfather was a Greek (Eastern Rite) Catholic priest and the local dean it would appear that the baptisms took place in his parish or in parishes where his friends were pastors.

There is a discrepancy in the surname of the maternal grandfather and some place names are illegible to me.

Here are two translations.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Piotr:
Col. 1: Dies Nativitatis = Day of birth: January 24, 1848
Col. 2: Dies Baptismi = Day of Baptism:The same (i.e. January 24, 1848)
Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 504
Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Piotr
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica = Non Catholic: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Blank
Notation in Cols. 5-6b: The approved midwife (was) Elżbieta Zawalska
Col. 7: Thori = Bed
Col. 7a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 8: Parentes = Parents: Klemens Bocheński, a doctor of medicine, the son of Reverend Antoni Bocheński, pastor of this place; Lucia Brbra=Barbara(?), the daughter of Tomasz Sielaczyński(?) and Tekla Turzańska.
Col. 9: Patrini = Sponsors: Karol Helzk(?), the pastor of (name of place is illegible) with Magdalena, the wife of (illegible) & Franciszek Michalewski, the judge/assessor of (name of place is illegible) with Tekla Helzk(?), the wife of the pastor of (name of place is illegible)*

The final notation: With delegation from the local pastor, Andrzej Grabowicz, the pastor of Lubianec??? baptized and confirmed him.

Note: Piotr had four sponsors aka godparents.

Michał:
Col. 1: Dies Nativitatis = Day of birth: October 23, 1855
Col. 2: Dies Baptismi = Day of Baptism: December 13, 1855 (He was baptized at home on the day of his birth. The ceremonies were added on December 13.
Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 504
Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Michał
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica = Non Catholic: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Blank
Notation in Cols. 5-6b: The approved midwife (was) Teresa Bielowska
Col. 7: Thori = Bed
Col. 7a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 8: Parentes = Parents: Pan Klemens Bocheński, a doctor of medicine, the son of Reverend Antoni Bocheński, pastor of this place; Lucia, the daughter of Pan Tomasz Wszelaczyński(?), a justicar/judge, and Tekla Turzańska.
Col. 9: Patrini = Sponsors: Pan Sylwester Hans Guttar(?), the director of (the following word appears to be German) Podwotoczyska; Ludmila, the wife of R, Biliński, the pastor in Czermechowic(?)

Notation across the bottom of the entry: It must be noted: This child was born on the 23rd day of October, 1855 and on the same day was baptized with water* by Rev. Leon Baczyński, the assistant pastor. However, on the 13th day of December of the current year by the same Rev. Baczyński the baptismal ceremonies were supplied and he was confirmed.

Note: *The baby was in danger of death on the day of his birth and he was baptized with the short rite. He survived and was brought to church in December to have all the secondary baptismal ceremonies celebrated and he was confirmed on that day.

The final notation is not directly related to the baptism of Michał. His grandfather, Reverend Antoni Bocheński, was the local dean and he attests that he examined the parish register as part of his duty as dean (Polish: dziekan). The entire notation is in his handwriting.
zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:41 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for the translations. My Gr-Gr-Grandmother is listed as having been from Zbaraz on the baptismal record for her daughter, Stefania (https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1759&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=960)... 8th posting on the page. This is what led me to research the Greek Catholic records available.
Are you suggesting that Petrus and Michael may have been baptized in Zbaraz because Antoni was the parish priest there, but born elsewhere?
waipepe

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:04 pm      Post subject:

Hi,

could this please be translated. I am not sure if it's German or Latin.
Marriage of Franz Lassota and Katarina nee Adamczyk.
Marriage 1823 in Tarnowskie Góry św.Marcina Parish.

Thank you very much
Joanna

Lassota Adamczyk 1823.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  525.48 KB

Lassota Adamczyk 1823.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 pm      Post subject:

waipepe wrote:
Hi,

could this please be translated. I am not sure if it's German or Latin.
Marriage of Franz Lassota and Katarina nee Adamczyk.
Marriage 1823 in Tarnowskie Góry św.Marcina Parish.

Thank you very much
Joanna

Hi Joanna,
It is in German. Try re-posting to the German Records Translation thread.
Best of luck,
Sophia
Malgroetsema

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:34 pm      Post subject: Translation - 1859 Marriage Register - Kobierzyn

I have been able to translate much of my great-great-grandparents marriage register from Latin to English, but I am stuck on the phrase following my GGGM's name -- et a masito denominatae Kolpa [my best guess at the spelling from the handwritten entry.]. My GGGM is noted as being illegitimate. "Kolpa" is the last name of the village midwife, but there were many persons named "Kolpa" in Kobierzyn.

Here is what I have translated:

Marriage entry # 7
16 Nov 1859
Kobierzyn Poland

GROOM
House Number: [no entry]
Groom's name; his parents first and last names; his occupation, place of birth and residence: Paweł Swiętek, son of def. [the late?] Maciej Swiętek, peasant gardener, and Katarzyna, born Marek
Religion: Catholic
Single: X
Widower: [no entry]

BRIDE
House Number: 34
Bride’s name; her parents first and last names; her occupation, place of birth and residence: Zofia, illegitimate daughter of Marianna Król and a masilo [?] denominatae [?] Kołpa
Religion: Catholic
Single: X
Widow: [no entry]

Witnesses first and last names and occupation: Thomas Swiętek (X), peasant gardener and Jan Swiętek (X), soldier ["x" showing they were illiterate and the priest entered their names]

Statement/signature of officiating priest: I, Jan Rybarski, priest, blessed this marriage.

Remarks/annotations: Therefore, agreed by the Child Court of Zabno on 11 Nov (1)859. No. 1799. [Assumed this was needed because the bride was a minor/underaged]

Marriage Register Column Headings - 1859 - Kobierzyn Poland.JPG
 Description:
In case you need to see the actual column headings from the Register page.
 Filesize:  55.71 KB

Marriage Register Column Headings - 1859 - Kobierzyn Poland.JPG

Pawel Swietek and Zofia Krol - 1859 - Marriage Register - Kobierzyn Poland.JPG
 Description:
Marriage register entry, 1859, Kobierzyn, Poland for Pawel Swietek and Zofia Krol
 Filesize:  104.86 KB

Pawel Swietek and Zofia Krol - 1859 - Marriage Register - Kobierzyn Poland.JPG

may28991

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:12 am      Post subject: Translation Help

Please help me with this translation, it maybe Russion or Latin.

Kruk, Adalbertus 1828 Birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  416.39 KB

Kruk, Adalbertus 1828 Birth.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 154 of 274

Jump to: