PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 am      Post subject: Re: Help with Birth and Baptism certificate

Natalia wrote:

Hello, Julien.

The names and surnames mentioned in this record are not Polish, but Rusyn/Ukrainian. Surnames ending with -ko, -uk, -in are typical for Rusyns and Ukrainians, which live in Miżyniec region.

In this record there are the Rusyn/Ukrainian surnames written in Polish forms: Dmyterko (Дмитерко), Łewko (Левко), Fecatczyn (Фецатчин), Piastuk (Пястук), Piszko (Пишко), Cepko (Цепко).

And the names appearing in the document are: Tatiana (Татьяна in Rusyn language or Тетяна in Ukrainian language), Ivan, not Jan (Иван or Іван), Sofroniy (Софронiй), Maria (Мария or Марiя), Evdokiya (Евдокия or Євдокiя), Varvara (Варвара), Mikhail (Михаил in Rusyn language or Михайло in Ukrainian), Andriy (Андрiй), Dmytro (Дмитро), Nikolay (Николай or Микола).

Natalia

Hello Natalia,

Thanks a lot for your explanation, that's very interesting ! Very Happy
I don't know much about Rusyn, so that definitely brings me new research interests.

Best regards.
Stanislaw

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:45 am      Post subject: Re: Latin document from 14th century

Dave,
The document refers to the city of Brno in Moravia from the times of the reign of the Czech King Charles IV of the Luxembourg dynasty. Bruna is the Latin name of this city. Konigsfeld is a former village known in Czech as Královo Pole, now part of the city of Brno. Alt Brunn is the German name for the village of Staré Brno, now also part of Brno. I suppose Menitz or Mönitz is now the village of Měnín 9 miles south of Brno.
This document is the oldest known mention of the name Talik. People with this surname currently live mainly in the Żywiec County (in the former Duchy of Oświęcim, which for a time was a fief of Czech kings), as well as in Slovakia and Hungary.
I wonder about the origin and etymology of this name. The ending -ik seems to be Slavic, and means a diminutive form of the word Tal. On the other hand, Walter is an unusual name for the Czechs and Moravians, which suggests his German origin rather. I have too few words in my head from Germanic languages ​​to guess the meaning of this indigenous word "tal". Only such well-known words as Wuppertal, Lillienthal, come to my mind. Dave, are there any words in Latin which have "tal" as its core? Is it possible to have the word "talicus" in Latin and what would it mean?
By the way, I am struck by the resemblance of the names of the Moravian Brno and Swiss Bern. Perhaps in all cases the roots are Celtic, and I should extend my search for the meaning of the root of the word "tal" to Celtic languages.

Thank you Dave for your help

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin document from 14th century

Stanislaw wrote:
Dave,
The document refers to the city of Brno in Moravia from the times of the reign of the Czech King Charles IV of the Luxembourg dynasty. Bruna is the Latin name of this city. Konigsfeld is a former village known in Czech as Královo Pole, now part of the city of Brno. Alt Brunn is the German name for the village of Staré Brno, now also part of Brno. I suppose Menitz or Mönitz is now the village of Měnín 9 miles south of Brno.
This document is the oldest known mention of the name Talik. People with this surname currently live mainly in the Żywiec County (in the former Duchy of Oświęcim, which for a time was a fief of Czech kings), as well as in Slovakia and Hungary.
I wonder about the origin and etymology of this name. The ending -ik seems to be Slavic, and means a diminutive form of the word Tal. On the other hand, Walter is an unusual name for the Czechs and Moravians, which suggests his German origin rather. I have too few words in my head from Germanic languages ​​to guess the meaning of this indigenous word "tal". Only such well-known words as Wuppertal, Lillienthal, come to my mind. Dave, are there any words in Latin which have "tal" as its core? Is it possible to have the word "talicus" in Latin and what would it mean?
By the way, I am struck by the resemblance of the names of the Moravian Brno and Swiss Bern. Perhaps in all cases the roots are Celtic, and I should extend my search for the meaning of the root of the word "tal" to Celtic languages.

Thank you Dave for your help

Hi Stanisław,

Thank you for the geographical information. It helps to put the document into context, which is always important when translating.

The are less than 25 Latin words which begin with the letters tal and talicus is not one of them. I would say that Latin would not be the language which could shed light on the origin of the name Talik. For what it is worth, the attachment from Hoffman’s Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings contains his take on the origin of Talik. My copy of the book is an older edition (the revised second edition from 1998) so the numbers of individuals in Poland with the surname are far out of date.

Walter certainly is a name of Germanic origin so perhaps Hoffman’s explanation of Talik coming from the German Tal or Thal may be pertinent, especially since according to the document Walter was a member of one of the Catholic military orders of the Middle Ages. It seems to me that the order of knights to which he belonged may have been the Hospitallers—more about that when the translation is complete. Since the medieval religious orders of knights usually had members from various parts of Europe Walter may have been of German origin although he was residing in Moravia. The usual Latin form of Walter is Gualterus, Gualteri since there was no letter “w” in Latin and Gualterus would be close phonetically to how the author of the document wrote the name (Waltherus). As an aside, Polish immigrants to the USA who had the name Władysław usually decided to be known as Walter in English. Immigrants during the late 19th and early 20th centuries often used English names which sounded somewhat similar to their Polish names. Most men who had the name Stanisław used the English name Stanley, although, obviously the two names are not related. A woman whose name was Stanisława often called herself Stella, another set of names which had nothing in common other than the sound of the first two letters.

Until next time,

Dave

CCF07302019_00000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.16 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

CCF07302019_00000.jpg

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:46 pm      Post subject: Help with translation

Dave,

As time permits I would appreciate your translation of the first record of the page on the right (due to Ukraine Archives restrictions I am not allowed to download the image). The link is below. I am specially interested about finding who lived in the houses mentioned in the record of Felix Konarski.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRM8-7ND?i=788

Best regards,
Gilberto Magroski
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Help with translation

Magroski49 wrote:
Dave,

As time permits I would appreciate your translation of the first record of the page on the right (due to Ukraine Archives restrictions I am not allowed to download the image). The link is below. I am specially interested about finding who lived in the houses mentioned in the record of Felix Konarski.

Best regards,
Gilberto Magroski

Hi Gilbero.

It is good to see you on the forum again. The groom was not living with his parents, but was in a different village and there is no mention of who else lived where he was residing, Evidently his parents were still living in the place where he was born. The bride was living with her parents in house #24 in Wysoko. The bride and her parents evidently spoke Ukrainian (since that is how her father’s name appears where he grants his permission for the marriage) and his family spoke Polish. I gave her parents names first as I believe they were in Ukrainian followed by the Polish version of those names. Since Ukrainian is not a language with which I’m familiar I’m not certain of those names. I translated the Latin versions of the names of the witnesses into Polish.

Hoping this helps,

Dave

Col. 1: Series =Number (of the marriage for the year): Lacking
Col. 2: Dies Mensis et Annus= Day, Month and Year (of Marriage): November 14, 1852
Col. 3: SPONSUS = GROOM
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 24
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Feliks Konarski, townsman, in Olesko, son of the legitimate marriage of Wincenty Konarski and Maria née Wesołowska, townspeople in Olesko, of the Latin Rite, born in Olesko in house number 291 and residing in house number 180 in Kadtubiska (?) of the same parish.
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 25
Col. 3e: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3f: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: SPONSA = BRIDE
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Maria Tywin, a Greek Rite Catholic, the daughter of the legitimate parents Dmytro (Ukrainian) Dymitr (Polish) Tywin and Anastasiysa (Ukrainian) Anastazja (Polish) née Antonowa, farmers, born and residing in this parish in house number 24 in Wysoko
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 17
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Blank

Col. 5: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation:
Teodor Czapiel & Erazm Borecki, both farmers from Wysoko

Final entry: Statement of father of the bride granting permission for the marriage.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 am      Post subject: Re: Help with translation

dnowicki wrote:
Magroski49 wrote:
Dave,

Best regards,
Gilberto Magroski

Hi Gilbero.

It is good to see you on the forum again. The groom was not living with his parents, but was in a different village and there is no mention of who else lived where he was residing, Evidently his parents were still living in the place where he was born. The bride was living with her parents in house #24 in Wysoko. The bride and her parents evidently spoke Ukrainian (since that is how her father’s name appears where he grants his permission for the marriage) and his family spoke Polish. I gave her parents names first as I believe they were in Ukrainian followed by the Polish version of those names. Since Ukrainian is not a language with which I’m familiar I’m not certain of those names. I translated the Latin versions of the names of the witnesses into Polish.

Hoping this helps,

Dave

Col. 1: Series =Number (of the marriage for the year): Lacking
Col. 2: Dies Mensis et Annus= Day, Month and Year (of Marriage): November 14, 1852
Col. 3: SPONSUS = GROOM
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 24
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Feliks Konarski, townsman, in Olesko, son of the legitimate marriage of Wincenty Konarski and Maria née Wesołowska, townspeople in Olesko, of the Latin Rite, born in Olesko in house number 291 and residing in house number 180 in Kadtubiska (?) of the same parish.
Col. 3c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 25
Col. 3e: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3f: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: SPONSA = BRIDE
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Maria Tywin, a Greek Rite Catholic, the daughter of the legitimate parents Dmytro (Ukrainian) Dymitr (Polish) Tywin and Anastasiysa (Ukrainian) Anastazja (Polish) née Antonowa, farmers, born and residing in this parish in house number 24 in Wysoko
Col. 4b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 17
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Blank

Col. 5: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation:
Teodor Czapiel & Erazm Borecki, both farmers from Wysoko

Final entry: Statement of father of the bride granting permission for the marriage.

You're the best! You're the fastest!
Thanks a lot.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:09 am      Post subject: Re: Latin document from 14th century

Stanislaw wrote:
Dear Dave. The text of this document from 1373 mentions my likely ancestor, Walter Talik. Would you be so kind and willing to translate this document? I know that you have a lot of knowledge about Latin, and here we can deal with Latin a bit incorrect or not classical, I suppose. Unfortunately, I do not have the original scan of this document, only its transcription.

Codex diplomaticus et epistolaris Maraviae

Hi Stanisław,

I was able to work on the translation a bit sooner than I had first thought. There was nothing particularly unusual about the vocabulary or the syntax. Although it differs from classical syntax and vocabulary, it is typical of medieval legal documents. Some purists would say that medieval Latin is not “good” Latin, but I’ve always disagreed. It is simply different. Although Latin was no longer the vernacular of any national group it lived on as the language of scholarship, diplomacy, science, law, etc. and as such it continued to develop and change. It served well for what it was intended and thus it was “good Latin” in the sense that Europeans were able to use it communicate with one another when they did not share a common vernacular. After all, the science of astronomy probably would not have progressed as it did if Galileo had not been able to read and understand Copernicus’ De Revolutionibus Orbium Caelestium.

Since this is a legal document it is not exactly the type of Latin one finds pleasing any more than one would find a legal document in Polish or in English a pleasure to read. As is typical of legal documents, ideas are expressed with a plethora of words in order to cover any and all possibilities. It is definitely not something one would choose to read at the beach.

I left the geographical locations in their Germanic form. I left the name of the commander of the religious brothers in what should be its Nominative form in Latin and did the same with the name of the abbess.

The Latin text contains very few sentences. I added punctuation only where I felt it to be necessary for clarity in English.

Hoping that this translation furthers your research,

Dave

In the name of the Lord. Amen. We* Nicholas, superior/pastor, Nicholas and John**, canons of the church of Saint Peter in Brünn, and also John Anshelmi and Walter Talik***, citizens of the same (place) bring forth to the notice/attention of each through the “presents” (i.e. the present document): That since once there had been a dispute between the venerable and religious nuns of the abbess Berchta and….the religious community of the hall of the monastery of Saint Mary in old Brünn on the one part, and the religious brothers of the commander**** Rzendio (a given name?) and the brothers of the cross***** of the house of Saint John in that very place, Brünn, on the other part regarding a certain field lying between the villages of Königsfeld and Menitz or whether the same field exists within the boundaries of the village of Königsfeld or of Menitz was the matter from which the question arose and the same Abbess with her convent, (and) Nicholas and John, canons, on her behalf and the same commander with his brothers John and Walter for the other part as arbiters or amicable negotiators, and indeed presented (the matter) to us Nicholas, superior/pastor for arbitration, and also bound those chosen from high and low to peaceable arbitration. Thus after having received proofs, documents and information from both parties, and we examined the very field with (our) eyes and in the boundaries of which village we discovered that same field, we declared the village to which we saw that the field belonged. And thus, after those things which must be followed had been followed (and) after the laws had been examined and after the information of both parties had been received and we examined with our eyes the above mentioned field and the boundaries of the (previously) named villages, we discovered that the field exists in the boundaries and limits of the village of Menitz and belongs to the same village. And for this we pronounce, decide, declare, command, and define that this field had belonged and ought to belong in perpetuity to the (above) named village and the tithes of this field ought to belong to the very monastery of the hall of Saint Mary and that the (above) named commander and brothers of the house of Saint John or their successors henceforth ought not to bother the abbess and the convent of the said monastery about the same fields and tithes in any way concerning the law or the facts. Which pronouncement both parties then present accepted as pleasing and valid and expressly approved (it). In testimony of which our seals are affixed to the presents (i.e. to this document). Given and done at Brünn in the home of residence of the above named superior/pastor of the church of Saint Peter in the presence of the honorable and credible men, Peter, a canon of the above named church of Saint Peter, and John, the cup-bearer/butler, and also Zdzisław******, the steward of the often mentioned superior/pastor, on the (Feast)day of Blessed Apostle James the Greater******* in the One Thousand Three Hundred Seventy-Third year of Our Lord.

Notes:
*Plural of respect (“Royal Plural”); Nicholas, the superior/pastor of the church of Saint Peter arbitrated the dispute between th nuns and the brothers.
**Nicholas & John: the representatives/negotiators/advocates of the nuns
***John Anshelmi & Walter Talik: the representatives/negotiators/advocates of the brothers
****commendator/commander: The superiors of the houses of military orders were known as commanders, following military nomenclature.
*****fratres cruciferorum/brothers of the cross = members of a knightly religious military order. The Lexicon Mediae et Infimae Latinitatis Polonorum lists as possible orders the following: krzyżowców z czerwoną gwiazdą, joannitów, templariuszy, szpitalników, bożogrobców. My inclination is to choose szpitalnicy (Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem, also known as the Order of Saint John) I base this choice on the connection of the name of the order to the name of the religious house in Brünn, domus Sancti Joannis/house of Saint John. Of course it is possible that they were members of one of the other military orders.
******Sdyslaus/Zdzisław: Since the Latin & English versions of this name are the same, for the sake of clarity I translated the name into Polish.
*******July 25
Stanislaw

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin document from 14th century

Dave, I am very grateful for your translation of the text. I appreciate your great knowledge and the work you put in it. I would like to know Latin like you. Unfortunately, I can never force myself to devote more time to Latin grammar.
If I have understood correctly, the text of the document mentions also a certain Rzendion, commander of the Order of the Crusaders of St. John, and his two companions Joannes Anshelmi and Walterus Talik. The name Rzendion seems to be Slavic and immediately reminds to every Polish reader of Rzędzian, one of the characters in Henryk Sienkiewicz's book "Ogniem i mieczem". Sienkiewicz's Rzędzian was a very clever but not a wealthy nobleman, Skrzetuski's henchman.
This mention that my potential ancestor was a member of the Order, later known as the Order of Malta, became very interested to me. It is well known that there were three very powerful and influential orders, the Templars, the Teutonic Order and the Order of Saint John. It seems to me that the French joined the first, knights from German countries the second one and the third was international, with the majority of Italian knights.
Somewhere, I read that the name Anzelm is of the Lombard origin. This led me to think that Talik may come from the word "Italia", "italic". In Slovak language, the word "Italian" is pronounced "taliansky" without the initial "i". Let's remember that Walter lives in a Slavic country, where they can call him Walter of Italy, Walter the Italian (see Johannes Scotus, Angelus Silesius). I think also that my earlier hypothesis about the final Slavic "-ik" can be rejected because it is hard to imagine that the knight Walter was called with the help of a diminutive word.
Thank you Dave, thanks to your help, I find very interesting discoveries ahead of me.

Send e-mail
MielecPolska

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:19 pm      Post subject:

Hi All,

I've read through some prior posts and was wondering if someone could help translate.

Marriage Certificate between Walenty Skrzyniarz & Agnieszka Laz

It appears like it says
Valentinus Skrzyniarz argicola by filus Jo?? et Mariec Wilk
his patus et ha bilano..

I've read that agricola meant he owned the land/cottage..

Col 5. Religio 5a has a 1 and n. : What does the N mean? I assume the 1 is a check mark?
Col 5b: 13/2.. what does that mean?

Col 6. Aetas - age 30 and 8g? the 8 g = months?

Col 7 Caelebs = 1 with a 3 under it..

Anyways. Those little notations are whats confusing me in addition to the translations.

Thank you for your patience and helping me on my new journey!

Marcin

Marriage Record- Walenty Skrzyniarz .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.36 KB

Marriage Record- Walenty Skrzyniarz .jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 pm      Post subject:

MielecPolska wrote:
Hi All,

I've read through some prior posts and was wondering if someone could help translate.

Marriage Certificate between Walenty Skrzyniarz & Agnieszka Laz

It appears like it says
Valentinus Skrzyniarz argicola by filus Jo?? et Mariec Wilk
his patus et ha bilano..

I've read that agricola meant he owned the land/cottage..

Col 5. Religio 5a has a 1 and n. : What does the N mean? I assume the 1 is a check mark?
Col 5b: 13/2.. what does that mean?

Col 6. Aetas - age 30 and 8g? the 8 g = months?

Col 7 Caelebs = 1 with a 3 under it..

Anyways. Those little notations are whats confusing me in addition to the translations.

Thank you for your patience and helping me on my new journey!

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

The first entry is: Valentinus Skrzyniarz agricola leg(itimus) filius Joannis et Mariae n(atae) Wilk hic natus et habitans = Walenty Skrzyniarz, a farmer, the legitimate son of Jan and of Maria born Wilk, born and residing here.

The l is a check mark; The n is an abbreviation for natus (born) and is part of what appears in the next sub-columns : 13/2; (1)893 and is recording his date of birth—February 13, 1893. His age is entered as 30. The same is true of the entry for the bride. There is an error in the printed portion of the record—the word Sponsus (groom) in the second major division should be Sponsa (bride).

The notation at the bottom which begins "benedixit...c.l." gives the name of the priest c(uratus) l(oci)/curate of this place, who blessed the marriage.

Agricola is usually the equivalent of gospodarz.

Here is the printed form with the handwritten entries:

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): 10
Col. 2: Year (at top): 1923
Dies et Mensis: Day and Month (of marriage): November 7
Col. 3: Sponsus = Groom
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 45
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time his place of birth and residence: Valentinus Skrzyniarz agricola leg(itimus) filius Joannis et Mariae n(atae) Wilk hic natus et habitans = Walenty Skrzyniarz, a farmer, the legitimate son of Jan and of Maria born Wilk, born and residing here.
Col. 3c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Caelebs = Bachelor:
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Aetas = 30
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower:
Notation in cols. 3c-3d: n(atus) 13/2; (1)893 = born on February 13, 1893
Col. 4: Sponsa = Bride
Col. 4a: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time her place of birth and residence: Agnes Laz leg(itima) filia Laurentii et Sophiae n(atae) Laz hic nata et habitans = Agnieszka Laz, the legitimate daughter of Wawrzyniec and of Zofia born Laz; born and residing here.
Col. 4b Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Caelebs = Bachelorette/panna: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 4c Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow:
Notation in columns 4b-4c: n(ata) 29/7 (1)900 = born on July 29, 1900
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES (and) Their
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname:
Col. 5b: Conditio = Condition/state of life/occupation: Lacking

Wishing you an enjoyable and informative new journey,

David
MielecPolska

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:13 pm      Post subject:

@dnowicki. Mind blown. Learned so much. Thank you for taking the time!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:23 pm      Post subject: Translations of Birth & Baptism Certificates

Hi,

The given names of persons appearing in the certificates are translated into Polish and then / into English.

Here is the certificate for Wiktoria/Victoria:

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Republic of Poland
Województwo/Province: Kraków
District/Powiat (County): Ropczyce
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 131
Right Side: Diocese: Tarnów
Dekenat (Deanery): Ropczyce
Parish: Witkowice

Certificate of birth and of baptism

The parish office of illegible covered by revenue stamp in Witkowice attests to all and sundry of whom it is or may be of interest that in the baptismal registers of this church for the village of Zdżary Volume II, Page 12, Number 5 is found the following:

In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred Sixty-nine that is 1869 on the twenty-second (22) day of the month of December was born at house number 6, and on the 23 day of December of the current year was baptized by Rev. Michał/Michael Dutka, the pastor of this place :

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Wiktoria/Victoria
Col. 2: Religion: Roman Catholic
Col. 3: Sex/Gender: female
Col. 4: The (marital) bed: legitimate
Col. 5: PARENTS
Col. 5a: The Father: Kazimierz/Casimir Zając, a gardener*, the son of Wojciech/Adalbert and of Jadwiga/Hedwig née Rokosz
Col. 5b: The Mother: Katarzyna/Catherine, the daughter of Szymon/Simon Potwora and of Katarzyna/Catherine née Forek, farmers
Col 6a & b: The Sponsors & Notation: Jacenty/Hyacinth Sum(?) (&) Franciszka/Frances Witek, farmers

The midwife: Maryanna Ferfecka

In testimony of which I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the seal of the parish church.

By the parish office in Witkowice on the 17th day of August 1927

Signature of the parish priest with the parish seal

Note:*hortulanus/gardener describe the economic/social status of a peasant as one who owned his cottage and a small plot of land rather than a full farmstead.

Here is the certificate for Andrzej/Andrew. The priest who issued the certificate in 1927 does not seem to have be very diligent. He made several errors and his handwriting left much to be desired. Anyway, here is the translation:

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Diocese: Przemyśl
Dekenat (Deanery): Rzeszów
Parish: Łąka

Center: Number (of certificate issued): 37

Right Side: Republic of Poland
Województwo/Province: Lwów
District/Powiat (County): Rzeszów
Village: Łukawiec

Certificate of birth and of baptism

From the parish office of the Roman Rite parish church in Łąka makes known and attests that in the baptismal register of this church for the village of Łukawiec Volume VII, Page 2 is found the following:

Col. 1: Year, month, day of birth and of baptism: In the Year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred nine* on the third of the month of November (1869.3.11)* was born; in the same year on the fourth day of November (4.XI.1869) was baptized
Col. 2:Name of the one baptized: Andrzej/Andrew
Col. 3: Place of Birth: Łukawiec
Col. 4: Religion: Roman Catholic
Col. 5: Sex/Gender: male
Col. 6: The (marital) bed: legitimate
Col. 7: PARENTS: The Father: Antoni/Anthony Jałowka**, the son of Michał/Michael and of Agnieszka/Agnes (née) Majcher;
The Mother: Anna Rzeszutko, the daughter of Marcin/Martin*** and of Maria(née) Ryś
Col 8: The Sponsors: Walenty/Valentine Rzeszutko, a farmer; Helena/Helen Jałowka,** the wife of Walenty/Valentine
Col. 9: Notation” Blank
Sylwester/Sylvester Dzierzynski, the assistant priest baptized (him); The midwife: Rozalia Z(?)wndska(?)

In testimony of which I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the ecclesiastical seal.

Łąka on the 11h day of August 1927

Signature of the parish assistant priest on behalf of the pastor with the parish seal (very faint impression).

Notes: *The year as written in words (milesimo octingentesimo nono—one thousand eight hundred ninth—does not agree with the year as written in numerals—1869. The year expressed in words is not correct.
**Jałowka is what I see, but I’m far from certain of the surname.
***Marthini, as written, should be Martini.

I hope that you find the translations useful.

Wishing you a good trip to Poland,’

Dave

img_5710_177.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.63 MB

img_5710_177.jpg

img_5709_207.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.15 MB

img_5709_207.jpg

shandean

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:20 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much! This gives me way more than I had to go on!
KirbyKyle

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 pm      Post subject:

Hello, I've newly joined PolishOrigins after finding some helpful posts here while searching on Google. I am currently researching the towns of Hyzne and Dylagowka near Rzezsow, the origin of my paternal line. Parish records from roughly 1785-1895 are available at szukajwarchiwach.pl, although I have not found an index and have been going through the records one by one.

Most of the Latin has been cleared up using online translation guides. However, I have a few lingering questions. One involves the identity of the father in this birth record from Hyzne in 1877. I read it as "Michael Szezepanski, |: false Majchrowski dictus :| filius illeg. thori Magdalena Thoma Szezepanski nata". I take it to mean that Michal was the illegitimate son of Magdalena, daughter of Tomas Szezepanski, but do not know what is being written about the surname Majchrowski. Thanks for any help.

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 6.22.37 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  699.74 KB

Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 6.22.37 PM.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:39 pm      Post subject:

KirbyKyle wrote:
Hello, I've newly joined PolishOrigins after finding some helpful posts here while searching on Google. I am currently researching the towns of Hyzne and Dylagowka near Rzezsow, the origin of my paternal line. Parish records from roughly 1785-1895 are available at szukajwarchiwach.pl, although I have not found an index and have been going through the records one by one.

Most of the Latin has been cleared up using online translation guides. However, I have a few lingering questions. One involves the identity of the father in this birth record from Hyzne in 1877. I read it as "Michael Szezepanski, |: false Majchrowski dictus Neutral filius illeg. thori Magdalena Thoma Szezepanski nata". I take it to mean that Michal was the illegitimate son of Magdalena, daughter of Tomas Szezepanski, but do not know what is being written about the surname Majchrowski. Thanks for any help.

Hi,

It is not possible to zoom in on a screen shot without the image having poorer resolution. As the image is posted the handwriting is too small to be legible (at least for me). If you would kindly post the image as a jpg, I would be happy to look at it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 157, 158, 159 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 158 of 274

Jump to: