PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:47 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Hi,

It is not possible to zoom in on a screen shot without the image having poorer resolution. As the image is posted the handwriting is too small to be legible (at least for me). If you would kindly post the image as a jpg, I would be happy to look at it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding. I have attached the full scan as downloaded; the record in question is the first one on the left side. If you have recommendations on how to properly crop an image for these forums, I would appreciate them.

Mike

Hyzne births 1877e.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.51 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Hyzne births 1877e.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:59 am      Post subject:

KirbyKyle wrote:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for responding. I have attached the full scan as downloaded; the record in question is the first one on the left side. If you have recommendations on how to properly crop an image for these forums, I would appreciate them.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting the downloaded image. It is much more legible. When I want to crop an image I use a program on an old desktop. Programs on our laptops don’t work well for cropping screenshots. It is usually easier and better to post the link to the original image.

A minor correction to the transcription of the entry—the names Magdalena & Thoma and the participle nata are actually Magdalenae, Thomae, & natae, all Genitive (Possessive Case) Singular endings. They are all diphthongs and the letters were written to appear as one letter in documents such as this. Here is the translation of the entry: Michał Szczepański (incorrectly called Majchrowski), the son of the illegitimate (marital) bed of Magdalena, born of Tomasz Szczepański.

It would seem that the priest felt it necessary to insert the “incorrectly called Majchrowski” statement to make it clear that there was no impediment of consanguinity between Michał and Maryanna since her mother’s maiden name was Majchrowska.

Attached are a list of Latin given names and an list of terms found in these records which have a particular meaning and which would most likely not be found on Google Translate. I hope that you find them useful.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to provide you with answers.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Vocabulary Distinguishing Classes of Peasants, Nobles & Clergy.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Vocabulary Distinguishing Classes of Peasants, Nobles & Clergy.pdf
 Filesize:  91.78 KB
 Downloaded:  347 Time(s)

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.05 KB
 Downloaded:  400 Time(s)

JGreen

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:08 am      Post subject: Church Birth record in Latin

Please help translating Archdiocesan Gniezno Church Birth record from Latin to English for my Grandfather, see attached record. See Line 9 for Franciszek Czechanski born Dec. 4, 1873 Baptism was on Dec. 7. We cannot read what is written in above the name Franciszek? Also the place of Birth appears to say Vokotowo, but we believe his birth place to be Sokolowo, Witkowo, Bromberg, Posen, Prussia. Any help would be appreciated.

Franz Czechanski Birth Record 1873.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Franz Czechanski Birth Record 1873.pdf
 Filesize:  1.69 MB
 Downloaded:  407 Time(s)

KirbyKyle

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:59 pm      Post subject: Surname varying throughout a life

Thanks very much to dnowicki for his generous and skilled help. I have another mystery regarding the surname of an ancestor, either Pawel Bujak or Pawel Szczepanski. Here are the details from the parish records in Dylagowka.

Pawel Bujak was born to Maciej Bujak and Agnes Palac in 1801 [attached]. He was the third of five children born to them between 1792-1810. For all five births, Maciej's surname was written as Bujak or Buiak.

Pawel married Katarzyna Walas sometime before 1926 (this is the only record I have not located). They had at least three children. Pawel's surname was written as Bujak in each of these birth records.

One of Pawel and Katarzyna's daughters was Maryanna. She married Walenty Tadla in 1846 and they had at least eight children. For six of the births, between 1849-1858 and 1866-1867, Maryanna's parents were named as Pauli or Paulo Bujak and Catharina Walas. However, for the fifth and sixth birth in 1860 and 1863, her father was named as Pauli Szczepanski. One of these two differing records was for the birth of Katarzyna, my great-great-grandmother [attached].

Maryanna's younger sister Magdalena also married and had two children. Her father was named as Pauli Szczepanski in 1865, but Pauli Bujak in 1866.

Katarzyna married Wawrzyniec Jeziorski in 1878. In the marriage record, her parents were named as Valentina Tadla and Mariannae Paulo Szczepanski. The couple had eight children, and in every birth record her mother is named as Mariannae Paulo Szczepanski.

At least four of Katarzyna's siblings married and had children. Valentinus (nine children) and Sophia (four children) were always named as children of Valentini Tadla and Mariannae Paulo Bujak. Mariannae (five children) and Agnes (three children) were always named as children of Valentini Tadla and Mariannae Paulo Szczepanski.

Katarzyna Walas Bujak died in 1867. Her husband was named as Pauli Bujak. Pawel Bujak died in 1868. The record reads "Paulus Bujak, proprie Szczepanski, agricola" [attached].

Paul Bujak death record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.44 MB

Paul Bujak death record.jpg

Catherine Tadla birth record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.39 MB

Catherine Tadla birth record.jpg

Paul Bujak birth record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.36 MB

Paul Bujak birth record.jpg

Last edited by KirbyKyle on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Church Birth record in Latin

JGreen wrote:
Please help translating Archdiocesan Gniezno Church Birth record from Latin to English for my Grandfather, see attached record. See Line 9 for Franciszek Czechanski born Dec. 4, 1873 Baptism was on Dec. 7. We cannot read what is written in above the name Franciszek? Also the place of Birth appears to say Vokotowo, but we believe his birth place to be Sokolowo, Witkowo, Bromberg, Posen, Prussia. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Here is the translation:

Col. 1: Numerus = Number: 68
Col 2: Nativitatis = Of Birth
Col.2a: Annus et mensis = Year and month: 1873 December
Col. 2b: Dies = Day: 4
Col. 2c: Hora = Hour: 7 vesp(ere) = 7 in the evening
Col. 3: Pueri = Boys
Col. 3a: Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 3b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 4: Puellae = Girls
Col. 4a: Legitimae = Legitimate: Blank
Col. 4b: Illegitimae = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 5: Locus Nativitatis = Place of Birth: Sokołowo
Col. 6: Infantis = Of the Child
Col. 6a: Baptismi = Of the Baptism
Col. 6a1: Annus et Mensis = The Year and Month: 1873 December
Col. 6a2: Dies = Day: 7
Col. 6b: Nomen = Name: Franciscus = Franciszek
Col. 7: Nomen et Cognomen Sacerdotis baptismum administrantis = The Given and the Surname of the Priest administering the baptism: Jos. Simon Praed. Illegible words = Józef Szymon (Next word indicates that he was a Dominican priest.)
Col. 8: Nomen et Cognomen = The Given and the Surname
Col. 8a: Patris = Of the Father: Joannes Czechański = Jan Czechański
Col. 8b: Matris = Of the Mother: Francisca Hornacka = Franciszka Hornacka
Col. 9: Religio = The Religion
Col. 9a: Patris = Of the Father: Catholic
Col. 9b: Matris = Of the Mother: Cathoic
Col. 10: Conditio et professio Patris = The condition/status and profession/occupation of the Father: Mercen(arius) = worker for wages/day laborer
Col. 11: Patrinorum = Of the Sponsors
Col. 11a: Nomen et Cognomen = The Given and the Surname: Michael ??kolny = Michał ??kolny, Francisca Perlicka
Col. 11b: Conditio et professio = (Their) condition/status and profession/occupation: Blank
Col. 12: Adnotationes utrum gemelli? Seu quid aliud notatu necessarium = Notations: whether twins? Or something else which need be noted:

The notation above Franciszek is “invit matr. 5.6.11 in Eccl. Par ad BMV Dortmundi” = He entered into Matrimony on June 5, 1911 in the Parish Church of Blessed Mary, Virgin of Dortmund*
Note: * a place in Germany.
However, in my opinion the notation goes with the entry above and not with the entry for Franciszek. On the same page the notation above Stanislaus (In Polish) states “she married Franciszek...” The name above Stanislaus is Maryanna. Obviously she, not Stanisław. married Franciszek. It appears that the notations refer to the name above the notation, not to the name below the notation.

Hope this helps you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Wishing you success,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:03 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname varying throughout a life

KirbyKyle wrote:
Thanks very much to dnowicki for his generous and skilled help. I have another mystery regarding the surname of an ancestor, either Pawel Bujak or Pawel Szczepanski. Here are the details from the parish records in Dylagowka.

Pawel Bujak was born to Maciej Bujak and Agnes Palac in 1801 [attached]. He was the third of five children born to them between 1792-1810. For all five births, Maciej's surname was written as Bujak or Buiak.

Pawel married Katarzyna Walas sometime before 1926 (this is the only record I have not located). They had at least three children. Pawel's surname was written as Bujak in each of these birth records.

One of Pawel and Katarzyna's daughters was Maryanna. She married Walenty Tadla in 1846 and they had at least eight children. For six of the births, between 1849-1858 and 1866-1867, Maryanna's parents were named as Pauli or Paulo Bujak and Catharina Walas. However, for the fifth and sixth birth in 1860 and 1863, her father was named as Pauli Szczepanski. One of these two differing records was for the birth of Katarzyna, my great-great-grandmother [attached].

Maryanna's younger sister Magdalena also married and had two children. Her father was named as Pauli Szczepanski in 1865, but Pauli Bujak in 1866.

Katarzyna married Wawrzyniec Jeziorski in 1878. In the marriage record, her parents were named as Valentina Tadla and Mariannae Paulo Szczepanski. The couple had eight children, and in every birth record her mother is named as Mariannae Paulo Szczepanski.

At least four of Katarzyna's siblings married and had children. Valentinus (nine children) and Sophia (four children) were always named as children of Valentini Tadla and Mariannae Paulo Bujak. Mariannae (five children) and Agnes (three children) were always named as children of Valentini Tadla and Mariannae Paulo Szczepanski.

Katarzyna Walas Bujak died in 1867. Her husband was named as Pauli Bujak. Pawel Bujak died in 1868. The record reads "Paulus Bujak, proprie Szczepanski, agricola" [attached].

Hi Mike,

During the late 18th Century and into the early 19th Century surnames remained mutable and it was not unusual for individuals to adopt a new surname, which sometimes coexisted with an earlier surname. There were many reasons why someone would adopt a new surname. Although none of my ancestors were from Galicia, (They were all from Kujawsko-Pomorskie and Wielkopolskie.) one of my maternal ancestors from the 18th Century was a cart-wright (stelmach). He was known as Kajetan Stelmaszek during his lifetime. Following his death in 1804 his family continued to use the surname Stelmaszek for about ten years and then his descendants began to use Kajetaniak as their surname. None of his children followed in his profession and it appears that they preferred to identify themselves with him as a person rather than with his occupation.

That Paweł adopted a new surname was not unusual. The only “mystery” is his motivation. Szczepański is another patronymic surname. (It is derived from the name Szczepan, one Polish version of Stephen.) Perhaps he wanted to connect himself to a grandfather of that name. Maybe one day you’ll find the reason.

Anyway, here are the records you posted.

Wishing you the best,

Dave

Here is the death record.

Col. 1: Numerus = Number (in order): Lacking

Col. 2: Dies mortis, 1868, Mensis Octobris= Date of death, 1868, Month of October
Col. 2A: Mortuus = Death: 13
Col. 2B: Sepultus = Burial: 15

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 33

Col. 4: Nomen Mortui = Name of the Deceased: Paulus Bujak, proprie Szczpański, agricola = Paweł Bujak, properly Szczpański, a farmer

Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5A: Catholica = Catholic:: Checked
Col. 5 B: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6A: Masculus = Masculine/Male: Checked
Col. 6B: Femina = Female: Blank

Col. 7: Dies Vitae = Age (literally “days of life”): 68 annorum = 68 years

Col. 8: Morbus et qualitas mortis = Disease and type of death: Vulnus in facie /rak/ Prov.SS Sacramentis = An injury on the face (cancer) Prepared beforehand by the most holy Sacraments

Final Notation: Sepul. (Illegible given name) Zorodzki, curatus loci = (Illegible given name) Zorodzki, the curate of this place buried (him).

Here is the birth of Katarzyna:

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: 13

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: August

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 8

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 9

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 42

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Catharina = Katarzyna

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Notation in Cols.1-6b: Name of the priest who baptized her and entered the record and the name of the midwife who assisted at her birth.

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Valentinus Tadla, cmeto* = Walenty Tadla, a self-sustaining farmer*
Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Marianna filia Pauli Szczepański et Catharinae Walasanka** hort.*** = Maryanna, the daughter of Paweł Szczepański and of Katarzyna Walas**, gardeners***

Col. 8: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Franciscus Lutka, hortul.*** (et) Magdalena uxor Josephi (covered surname) hortul.*** = Franciszek Lutka, a gardener*** (&) Magdalena, the wife of Józef (covered surname), gardeners***

Notes: *Cmeto (also spelled Cmetho)/self-sustaining farmer had sufficient land to be self-sufficient. He was at the top of the social/economic hierarchy of peasantry. (Cf. Vocabulary distinguishing...above)
**The suffix -anka was used to designate a single woman. It is no longer in vogue.
***Hortulanus/gardener: a peasant who owned a cottage and a small amount of land, but no farm fields.

Here is the birth of Paweł Bujak:

Col. 1: Mensis = Month: 1801 Januarius 2 = January 2, 1801
Col. 2: Numerus Domus = House Number: 33
Col. 3: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Paulus = Paweł
Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Acatholica = Non Catholic: Blank
Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Blank
Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 6b: Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Parens = Father: Mathias Bujak = Maciej Bujak
Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Agnes nata de Pałac = Agnieszka née Pałac
Col. 8: Patrini = Sponsors
Col. 8a: Nomen = Name: Adalbertus Rubinski (et) Hedvigis (surname?) = Wojciech Rubinski (&) Jadwiga (surname?)
Col. 8b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation: Hortulani* = Gardeners*

Note: *Hortulanus/Gardener: a peasant who owned a cottage and a small amount of land, but no farm fields.
KirbyKyle

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:57 am      Post subject: Re: Surname varying throughout a life

dnowicki wrote:
That Paweł adopted a new surname was not unusual. The only “mystery” is his motivation. Szczepański is another patronymic surname. (It is derived from the name Szczepan, one Polish version of Stephen.) Perhaps he wanted to connect himself to a grandfather of that name. Maybe one day you’ll find the reason.

Thanks, Dave. That's useful insight. I thought that the name handed down by one's parents was more honored than it apparently was. On the other hand, both my father and brother changed our shared centuries-old surname because it was difficult for people to spell, so...

I am mildly amused that Pawel seemed to bounce back and forth, leaving his descendants to guess at what surname he preferred.

dnowicki wrote:
Col. 4: Nomen Mortui = Name of the Deceased: Paulus Bujak, proprie Szczpański, agricola = Paweł Bujak, properly Szczpański, a farmer

Do you have a guess as to what "properly" means in this context?

Thanks,
Mike
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname varying throughout a life

KirbyKyle wrote:
dnowicki wrote:

Thanks, Dave. That's useful insight. I thought that the name handed down by one's parents was more honored than it apparently was. On the other hand, both my father and brother changed our shared centuries-old surname because it was difficult for people to spell, so...

I am mildly amused that Pawel seemed to bounce back and forth, leaving his descendants to guess at what surname he preferred.

dnowicki wrote:

Do you have a guess as to what "properly" means in this context?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Proprie is an adverb derived from the adjective proprius, a, um. In Classical Latin the adjective meant “one’s own”, “special”, “particular”. The adverb meant “exclusively for oneself”, “characteristically”, “in a proper sense”. In Ecclesiastical/Liturgical Latin the adverb proprie usually meant “properly”, and the adjective had the same meanings as in Classical Latin with the addition of “personal”. Since extended families in rural villages often had multiple individuals with the same given name, it is possible that your Paweł used the surname Szczepański as a way to distinguish him from any other Paweł Bujak in the parish. If that were the case, then proprie/properly would have had the meaning of “exclusively for him”.

Keep in mind that not all peasants had and used a surname even during the later years of the 18th Century. But surname use among the peasants is a separate and somewhat complex topic. Something else to keep in mind is that for most of the 19th Century many peasants were illiterate. Basically, the highest literacy rate was found in the German Partition and the lowest was in the Austrian Partition. The literacy rate in the Russian Partition was greater than that in the Austrian Partition but well below that of the German Partition. The Słownik geograficzny..., published from 1880 to 1904 only gives the number of literate villagers for the German Partition and not for the other two partitions because the number of literate villagers in those partitions was so low. In villages and parishes with few literate individuals the priest entered names in the parish registers based on what he heard the individual say. If a parish priest had long tenure in the parish and if he knew his parishioners well, the entries were more dependable and more consistent. If not, then the entries were much less consistent.

I hope that this provides some grist for your genealogy mill.

Dave
mizbear7

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:34 pm      Post subject: yurkowski baptism certificate

I would greatly appreciate some help translating this.
Thank you.

yurkowski baptism.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  655.59 KB

yurkowski baptism.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:06 am      Post subject: Re: yurkowski baptism certificate

mizbear7 wrote:
I would greatly appreciate some help translating this.
Thank you.

diocese: Lwów
deanery: Czortków
parish: Żabińce

republic: Poland
voivodeship: Tarnopol
district: Kopyczyńce

BIRTH AND BAPTISM CERTIFICATE

The parish office of the romancatholic church in Żabińce attests to all and sundry whom it concerns or may concern by the present document that in the baptismal register designated for the village of Hryńkowce in Volume III, page 39, is found the following:

"In the Year of 1891 on the 14th day of the month of November a child was born born:

Place of birth: Hryńkowice
Baptism date: 25th November 1891
baptised by the priest: reverend Stefan Dziurzyński, parish parson
religion: romancatholic

Baptised name: Władysław
Sex: male
Legitimate/illegitimate: legitimate
Parents:
Jurkowski Jakub, farmer, son of Mikołaj and Anastazja Głogowska. mother: Maria Wierzbicka
godparents: Demetriusz Słobodzian and Karolina Kucharska
Midwife: Anastazja Hołowata

PAYPAL: [email protected]

Last edited by marcelproust on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mestanton

Replies: 212

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 am      Post subject: Tomasz Krzywkowski Marriage 1772

Dave,

Please help me translate the Latin words from "cum" to "Testes." They appear to refer to something from an office. This is a marriage of my direct ancestors entered into Chamsk parish records in Stawiczyn and Myślin 19 November 1772 between noble Thomas Krzywkowski of Chamsk parish and Dorothea Stawiska of Zgliczyn parish. Witnesses were nobles Ignatius, Francisco, and Adam Myślinski and noble Mathias Stawiski of Stawiczyn.

Regards,

Marilyn

Krzywkowski, Thomas Marriage Dorothea Stawiska 1772.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  706.81 KB

Krzywkowski, Thomas Marriage Dorothea Stawiska 1772.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:59 am      Post subject: Re: Tomasz Krzywkowski Marriage 1772

mestanton wrote:
Dave,

Please help me translate the Latin words from "cum" to "Testes." They appear to refer to something from an office. This is a marriage of my direct ancestors entered into Chamsk parish records in Stawiczyn and Myślin 19 November 1772 between noble Thomas Krzywkowski of Chamsk parish and Dorothea Stawiska of Zgliczyn parish. Witnesses were nobles Ignatius, Francisco, and Adam Myślinski and noble Mathias Stawiski of Stawiczyn.

Regards,

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

The Latin reads: “...cum indulto* obtento ab illustrissimo officio (illegible word) Plocensis super binas bannas**...”
The translation is: “...with an indult* obtained from the most illustrious office (illegible word) of Płock from two announcements of the banns**...”

Notes: *indulto/indult = a dispensation, which is a release from an obligation. The pastor of a parish could dispense with one announcement of the banns on his own authority. A dispensation from more than one announcement needed to be granted by the bishop of the diocese and was usually granted by the chancellor of the diocese, who operated out of the chancery office.

**binas bannas/two announcements of the banns: The priest’s Latin is incorrect. Banns (plural) is banna, bannorum, n. He mistakenly took the plural of the word to be bannae, bannarum, f. He should have written “super bina banna”. His grade for Latin would be a D+ or a C- at best and that ignores his handwriting, which leaves much to be desired.

I hope this answers your question and provides you with useful information.

Dave
mestanton

Replies: 212

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:05 am      Post subject:

Yes. Thank you, Dave, for the translation that reveals a dispensation and only two banns.
shandean

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:16 am      Post subject: Re: Translations of Birth & Baptism Certificates

Hi there. Regarding the post I've quoted below, I'd like to see if someone can help me with identifying a specific church that these baptisms took place in. I'm googling 'Roman Rite parish church in Łukawiec' but finding multiple entries. Thank you! (Also, I'm finding it hard to navigate this forum so forgive me if this is a duplicate... I tried earlier and didn't seem to get it posted.)

dnowicki wrote:
Hi,

The given names of persons appearing in the certificates are translated into Polish and then / into English.

Here is the certificate for Wiktoria/Victoria:

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Republic of Poland
Województwo/Province: Kraków
District/Powiat (County): Ropczyce
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 131
Right Side: Diocese: Tarnów
Dekenat (Deanery): Ropczyce
Parish: Witkowice

Certificate of birth and of baptism

The parish office of illegible covered by revenue stamp in Witkowice attests to all and sundry of whom it is or may be of interest that in the baptismal registers of this church for the village of Zdżary Volume II, Page 12, Number 5 is found the following:

In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred Sixty-nine that is 1869 on the twenty-second (22) day of the month of December was born at house number 6, and on the 23 day of December of the current year was baptized by Rev. Michał/Michael Dutka, the pastor of this place :

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Wiktoria/Victoria
Col. 2: Religion: Roman Catholic
Col. 3: Sex/Gender: female
Col. 4: The (marital) bed: legitimate
Col. 5: PARENTS
Col. 5a: The Father: Kazimierz/Casimir Zając, a gardener*, the son of Wojciech/Adalbert and of Jadwiga/Hedwig née Rokosz
Col. 5b: The Mother: Katarzyna/Catherine, the daughter of Szymon/Simon Potwora and of Katarzyna/Catherine née Forek, farmers
Col 6a & b: The Sponsors & Notation: Jacenty/Hyacinth Sum(?) (&) Franciszka/Frances Witek, farmers

The midwife: Maryanna Ferfecka

In testimony of which I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the seal of the parish church.

By the parish office in Witkowice on the 17th day of August 1927

Signature of the parish priest with the parish seal

Note:*hortulanus/gardener describe the economic/social status of a peasant as one who owned his cottage and a small plot of land rather than a full farmstead.

Here is the certificate for Andrzej/Andrew. The priest who issued the certificate in 1927 does not seem to have be very diligent. He made several errors and his handwriting left much to be desired. Anyway, here is the translation:

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Diocese: Przemyśl
Dekenat (Deanery): Rzeszów
Parish: Łąka

Center: Number (of certificate issued): 37

Right Side: Republic of Poland
Województwo/Province: Lwów
District/Powiat (County): Rzeszów
Village: Łukawiec

Certificate of birth and of baptism

From the parish office of the Roman Rite parish church in Łąka makes known and attests that in the baptismal register of this church for the village of Łukawiec Volume VII, Page 2 is found the following:

Col. 1: Year, month, day of birth and of baptism: In the Year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred nine* on the third of the month of November (1869.3.11)* was born; in the same year on the fourth day of November (4.XI.1869) was baptized
Col. 2:Name of the one baptized: Andrzej/Andrew
Col. 3: Place of Birth: Łukawiec
Col. 4: Religion: Roman Catholic
Col. 5: Sex/Gender: male
Col. 6: The (marital) bed: legitimate
Col. 7: PARENTS: The Father: Antoni/Anthony Jałowka**, the son of Michał/Michael and of Agnieszka/Agnes (née) Majcher;
The Mother: Anna Rzeszutko, the daughter of Marcin/Martin*** and of Maria(née) Ryś
Col 8: The Sponsors: Walenty/Valentine Rzeszutko, a farmer; Helena/Helen Jałowka,** the wife of Walenty/Valentine
Col. 9: Notation” Blank
Sylwester/Sylvester Dzierzynski, the assistant priest baptized (him); The midwife: Rozalia Z(?)wndska(?)

In testimony of which I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the ecclesiastical seal.

Łąka on the 11h day of August 1927

Signature of the parish assistant priest on behalf of the pastor with the parish seal (very faint impression).

Notes: *The year as written in words (milesimo octingentesimo nono—one thousand eight hundred ninth—does not agree with the year as written in numerals—1869. The year expressed in words is not correct.
**Jałowka is what I see, but I’m far from certain of the surname.
***Marthini, as written, should be Martini.

I hope that you find the translations useful.

Wishing you a good trip to Poland,’

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:54 pm      Post subject: Re: Translations of Birth & Baptism Certificates

[quote="shandean"]Hi there. Regarding the post I've quoted below, I'd like to see if someone can help me with identifying a specific church that these baptisms took place in. I'm googling 'Roman Rite parish church in Łukawiec' but finding multiple entries. Thank you! (Also, I'm finding it hard to navigate this forum so forgive me if this is a duplicate... I tried earlier and didn't seem to get it posted.)

Hi,

The parish church for the village of Łukawiec is in Łąka and is under the patronage of St. Humphrey (Polish: św. Onufry). Here is a link to the parish info: http://www.diecezja.rzeszow.pl/2015/04/laka/

The parish in Witkowice is under the patronage of St. Michael the Archangel (Polish: św. Michał Archanioł). Here is a link to that parish’s info: https://diecezja.bielsko.pl/parafie/swietego-michala-archaniola-witkowice/

Hoping that you find this information helpful,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 159 of 274

Jump to: