PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 163, 164, 165 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:22 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave!

I appreciate the help and I'm happy to post the links. I assume you have an account with FamilySearch.

Here are the records:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRQ9-RV5?i=634&cc=1910265&cat=259691
(first entry)

and

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RQ9-RXP?i=674&cc=1910265&cat=259691
(last entry on first page)

Thanks again!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:40 pm      Post subject:

zolkie wrote:
Hi Dave!

I appreciate the help and I'm happy to post the links. I assume you have an account with FamilySearch.

Here are the records:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRQ9-RV5?i=634&cc=1910265&cat=259691
(first entry)

and

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RQ9-RXP?i=674&cc=1910265&cat=259691
(last entry on first page)

Thanks again!

Hi,

Thanks for the links. They did make the text easier to read.

Józef and Tomasz were related since they both had the same alias/”nickname” but the two records do not spell out their exact relationship.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Dave

Here is the record of Baltazar Tytus.

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: Missing

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: January

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 2

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 2

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 536

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Baltazar Titus binom. = Baltazar Tytus, two names

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Blank

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Nomen = Name: Nobilis* Josephus Wszelaczynski alias** Cybulski Presens Magister*** Zbaraz = The noble* Józef Wszelaczynski alias** Cybulski, the current master/mayor*** of Zbaraż
Col. 7b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation: (The name of the child’s mother is recorded in this column.): Eva Turzańska = Ewa Turzańska

Col. 8: Patrini = Sponsors:
Col. 8a: Nomen = Name(s): Joannes Sawicki, Thecla Wszelaczyńska of
Col. 8b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation: Assesor**** (should be Assessor) Zbaraz Nobiles = Assessor/judge/alderman**** of Zbaraż, nobles

Notes: *nobilis/noble: Nobilis/noble: usually used for owners/leaseholders of a parcel of land
**alias: Members of the szlachta sometimes used an alias/”nickname” to distinguish one extended family of the same surname from others of the same surname.
***Magister is one of those Latin words which had more than one meaning, depending on the context. Here it would appear that “mayor” fits best.
****Assessor is another Latin word which had more than one meaning. Here it appears that “alderman” fits very well.

Here is the record of Ewa.

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: Missing

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: April

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: December 20, 1818

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: April 12, 1819

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 505

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Ewa

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Nomen = Name: M(agnificus) D(ominus)* Thomas Wszelaczynski alias** Cybulski just(icarius?) et judex in Lubianki. M(agnifica) D(omina)* Thecla de Turzanska = The honorable Pan Tomasz Wszelaczynski alias** Cybulski, a justicar(?) and judge in Lubianki. Honorable Pani Tekla née Turzanska
Col. 7b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation: Nobiles*** = Nobles

Col. 8: Patrini = Sponsors:
Col. 8a: Nomen = Name(s): Ambrosius Krystof(?); M(agnifica) D(omina)* Valburga Schmid = Ambrozy Krystof(?); Walburga (also spelled Walpurga) Schmid
Col. 8b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation: Colonelus de CR Othelli*****; uxor Magistri**** Equitum ejus Regiminti = Colonel of CR Othelli*****; wife of the master of horse of his regiment

Notes: *Magnificus Dominus/Magnifica Domina/Honorable Pan/Honorable Pani: Titles used for court officials
**Members of the szlachta sometimes used an alias/”nickname” to distinguish one extended family of the same surname from others of the same surname.
***Nobiles/nobles: usually used for owners/leaseholders of a parcel of land
****Magister is one of those Latin words which had more than one meaning, depending on the context. Here it would appear that “master” fits best.
*****CR Othelli: Name of his regiment. It would require researching the Austrian Army of that time to determine more about the regiment.
who

Replies: 87

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:10 pm      Post subject: Adult Baptism Neofiti

Hi, I would like to know any relevant data from this adult baptism (ex-judaism).

Are there the name of the parents?

20191217_230419.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  515.27 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

20191217_230419.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:24 pm      Post subject: Re: Adult Baptism Neofiti

who wrote:
Hi, I would like to know any relevant data from this adult baptism (ex-judaism).

Hi,

Her parents are not named in the entry. Since I’m not sure what information you might consider relevant I’ll translate the entire text. The date most likely is found in the column on the far left, which is cut off in the image. Here is the translation:

I, Tomasz Dzierzek (initials of the religious order of which he was a member), baptized an adult convert from Judaism, about 23 years of age. The name she was given was Maryanna Barbara* with the actual surname Niemojewska. Those raising her up from the sacred font** were Michał Kaźmerski and Barbara* Rezpańska. Those also present*** were Michał Kaminski and Teresa Faressowa(?).

Notes
*Maryanna Barbara: It is likely that she took the middle name Barbara in honor of her female sponsor, who was most likely a good friend. Whatever was her birth name, she changed it to Maryanna Barbara and was given a surname, if she had not used one previously.
**Levantibus e Sacro Fonte/those raising her up from the sacred font: a circumlocution for her sponsors, commonly known as godparents. One sponsor, who acted as a sort of mentor, was required for every baptism. The common custom was to have two sponsors, one male and one female, who were commonly known as a godfather and a godmother. After the practice of infant baptism became common the custom arose of having one sponsor of each gender.
***Assistentibus/those also present/assisting: Michał & Teresa had no official role to play, but were present at the ceremony. This would indicate that most likely they were good friends of hers. It is sort of like they received honorable mention in the record.

I hope that you find the translation helpful and informative.

Wishing you continued success in your research,

Dave
who

Replies: 87

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:16 am      Post subject: Re: Adult Baptism Neofiti

dnowicki wrote:
who wrote:

Hi,

Her parents are not named in the entry. Since I’m not sure what information you might consider relevant I’ll translate the entire text. The date most likely is found in the column on the far left, which is cut off in the image. Here is the translation:

I, Tomasz Dzierzek (initials of the religious order of which he was a member), baptized an adult convert from Judaism, about 23 years of age. The name she was given was Maryanna Barbara* with the actual surname Niemojewska. Those raising her up from the sacred font** were Michał Kaźmerski and Barbara* Rezpańska. Those also present*** were Michał Kaminski and Teresa Faressowa(?).

Notes
*Maryanna Barbara: It is likely that she took the middle name Barbara in honor of her female sponsor, who was most likely a good friend. Whatever was her birth name, she changed it to Maryanna Barbara and was given a surname, if she had not used one previously.
**Levantibus e Sacro Fonte/those raising her up from the sacred font: a circumlocution for her sponsors, commonly known as godparents. One sponsor, who acted as a sort of mentor, was required for every baptism. The common custom was to have two sponsors, one male and one female, who were commonly known as a godfather and a godmother. After the practice of infant baptism became common the custom arose of having one sponsor of each gender.
***Assistentibus/those also present/assisting: Michał & Teresa had no official role to play, but were present at the ceremony. This would indicate that most likely they were good friends of hers. It is sort of like they received honorable mention in the record.

I hope that you find the translation helpful and informative.

Wishing you continued success in your research,

Dave

Thank you very much Dave!! it is pretty interesting even there is no info about her parents!
zolkie

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:20 pm      Post subject:

Good evening.

I've found two entries in the same Roman Catholic Baptimsmal register in Zbaraż. The entries appear to be distantly related and are written in paragraph form instead of using the columnar template.

I will include the link at the bottom, the entries are the 3rd and 4th down on the left hand page.

I believe it may be describing that a priest visited and baptized the children described in their home with water before the 'official' baptism? I'm curious to see an accurate translation of the entries.

Many thanks!

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RQ9-T8P?i=473&cc=1910265&cat=259691
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:09 pm      Post subject:

zolkie wrote:
Good evening.

I've found two entries in the same Roman Catholic Baptimsmal register in Zbaraż. The entries appear to be distantly related and are written in paragraph form instead of using the columnar template.

I will include the link at the bottom, the entries are the 3rd and 4th down on the left hand page.

I believe it may be describing that a priest visited and baptized the children described in their home with water before the 'official' baptism? I'm curious to see an accurate translation of the entries.

Many thanks!

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RQ9-T8P?i=473&cc=1910265&cat=259691

Hello,

The two baptismal records are not distantly related. They are records of two children of the same parents, Józef Wszelaczynski and his wife Ewa née Tuzańska. They are also the parents of Baltazar Tytus, whose record you posted earlier this month. The first child, Julian Grzegorz, was born on February 23, 1815 and the second child, Aleksandra Józefa, was born on February 26, 1816. Julian Grzegorz was baptized at the house where he was born on the day of his birth because he was in danger of death because he was weak. The priest used the short rite for baptism (using water with the words of the standard formula, “I baptize you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.” At that time in history the baptismal ritual was conducted in Latin and thus the words spoken by the priest while pouring (holy) water on the forehead of the child were: “Ego te baptizo in Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.” That is the essential part of the rite of baptism. Surrounding the essential portion of the rite are various nonessential ceremonies each of which highlights one or another effect of baptism. Those ceremonies were omitted because of the emergency nature of the baptism due to the child’s perilous physical condition.

To be perfectly clear, in the Catholic Church’s understanding of the sacraments there is no such thing as baptism with water followed by an “official” baptism. Three sacraments (Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Orders) can only be received once because of the permanent effect which they have on an individual.

In the records you posted because the first child, Julian Grzegorz, survived he was taken to church where the parish priest “supplied” the auxiliary ceremonies which had been omitted during the emergency baptism. This did not mean that he was baptized a second “official” time in the church. He was baptized on the day of his birth and then on July 7, 1816 the ceremonies which had been omitted on February 23, 1815 were “supplied,” i.e. celebrated. The date of his baptism is February 23, 1815 and the entry records the “supplying” of the nonessential ceremonies as having taken place on July 7, 1816.

The parents had another child, a daughter, Aleksandra Józefa, one year later on February 26, 1816. She was baptized on July 7, 1816, the same day when the ceremonies were “supplied” for her brother, Julian Grzegorz. The parents sort of took advantage of a “buy one, get one free sale”. Their daughter was baptized and the ceremonies were “supplied” for their son who had been baptized the previous year in an emergency baptism.

There are several things which strike me as a bit unusual/odd about the two records. In 1815 the family was residing in house #517 and then in 1816 they were living in house #536. Given their status as szlachta and the fact that the father was the mayor of Zabarz it seems a bit unusual that they would not have resided in the same house in both years. It is also a bit unusual that they would have waited until July to baptize their daughter who was born in February. It would have been much more common for the child to have been baptized soon after her birth—the situation encountered in most baptisms at that time and place. But to comment on that would require dealing with the mindset of the time regarding what happens to unbaptized infants—something for another time and place.

Anyway, here are the translations of the two entries. I hope that you find them useful.

Dave

Translation of baptism of first child:
Col.1: Zabarz
Col. 1a Date of birth: ???.7
Col. 1b: Date of supplying the ceremonies: July 7, 1816
Col. 2: House Number: 517
Father Gaudentius Moszkowiczoski, the rector of the (parish) church of Zabarz, supplied the ceremonies (for a child) with two names, Julian Grzegorz, baptized by himself with water because of the danger of weakness, born on February 23 of the year 1815, the son of the legitimate marriage of the noble parents Józef Wszelaczynski, mayor of the town of Zabarz, and of Ewa (born) of the father (= née) Tużańska. Those assisting and raising him up from the holy font were the honorable Pan Franciszek of Res??spe?ger, a knight, with the honorable Maryanna Morysonowa, heiress of the property of Kopczyńce, etc.

Translation of baptism of second child:
Col.1: Zabarz
Col. 1a Date of birth: July 7, 1816
Col. 1b: Date of baptism: July 7, 1816
Col. 2: House Number: 536
The same Father Gaudentius on the 7th of July in the year 1816 baptized an infant of two names, Aleksandra Józefa, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of the noble parents Józef Wszelaczynski or Cybulski, mayor of the town of Zabarz, and of Ewa née Tuzańska, of the Catholic religion, (who was) born on February 26 in the year 1816. Those assisting and raising her up from the holy font were the honorable Pan Stefan/Szczepan Wszelaczynski or Cybulski, a court official in Kopczyńce and the honorable Pani Broszniskiewiczowa, nobles.
a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:52 am      Post subject: marriage translation

Can you please translate the bottom marriage here between Ignatz Racynski and Antonina?

Thank you.
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:43 am      Post subject: document

it appears i forgot to attach, the bottom marriage
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:45 am      Post subject:

this should work this time!!

Capture.JPG
 Description:
my computer is fighting me sorry
 Filesize:  94.34 KB

Capture.JPG

a4u2fear

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:46 am      Post subject:

Could someone also please translate the top line marriage for me

Thank you

Andrew Rachela marriage to Magdalena Kudrzynska 1877 film 8121155 img 527.jpg
 Description:
top line marriage only between Andrew Rachela and Magdalena
 Filesize:  1.56 MB

Andrew Rachela marriage to Magdalena Kudrzynska 1877 film 8121155 img 527.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:23 pm      Post subject: Re: marriage translation

a4u2fear wrote:
Can you please translate the bottom marriage here between Ignatz Racynski and Antonina?

Thank you.

Hi,

Here is the Raczyński-Wysocka née Piechocka marriage.

Left Column: 224 On the 19th day of January in the year 1817
Body of Entry: I, Maciej Dutkiewicz, pastor of the parish church of the Most Holy Trinity ( św. Trócy) in Gniezno, after the three banns had been promulgated on Sundays in the presence of the people gathered together to hear the Divine Rites (i.e. Sunday Mass) and since no Canonical impediment had been detected, in the presence of the said congregation, confirmed and ratified the marriage legitimately contracted between the renowned* Ignacy Raczyński, a single young man of Grzybowo from the parish of Saint Michael (św. Michała) and Antonina née Piechocka Wysocka, widow of Jan, from Grzybowo from the parish of the Most Holy Trinity ( św. Trócy) in Gniezno. The witnesses (were) the renowned* Adam Kuszczyński, Kazimierz Piechocki, and Łukasz Gotowicz, all trustworthy citizens of Grzybowo.

Note: *famatus/renowned (Polish: sławetny): an adjective generally used to describe a middle class craftsman.

Happy New Year.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:28 pm      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
Could someone also please translate the top line marriage for me

Thank you

Hi again,

Here is the Rachela-Kudrzyńska marriage record.

Dave

Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year): 26
Col. 2: Annus et Dies Copulationis = The Year and Day of the Marriage: November 25, 1877
Col. 3: Nomen Sacerdotis Copulantis = The Name of the Officiating Priest (lit. of the marrying priest): A?jakowski, curatus = A?jakowski, the curate
Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, locus habitationis, conditio et professio, et utrum copulatio in ecclesia vel in aedibus privatis subsecuta = The First Name and Surname of those marrying, (their) place of residence, condition and profession, and whether the marriage followed in a church or in a private building: Andrzej Rachela, Magdalena Kudrzyńska. Both from Łopienno
Col. 5: Utrum in matrimonio jam vixere nec non utrum sub tutela parentum vel tutorum adhuc existant? Whether they already had lived in the state of matrimony or if not, whether they remained to this time under the tutelage of (their) parents or guardians? (Groom): a young man; (bride) a wife*
Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 30
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 25
Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic
Col. 8: Consensus Parentum vel Tutorum = The Consent of the Parents or of the Guardians: Contracted a civil marriage on November 25, 1877
Col. 9: Proclamatio Bannorum = The Proclamation of the Banns: The 21st, 22nd, (&) 23rd Sundays after Pentecost**
Col. 10: Dispensatio a proclamatione = Dispensation from the proclamation (of the banns):
Col. 11: Testes = Witnesses: Adam Tomaszewski, Józef Tarnegrodcki
Col. 12: Adnotationes = Notations: None

Notes: * The contracted a civil marriage on the same day as their religious marriage. The civil ceremony took place before the religious ceremony and thus the bride is listed as a wife in the religious record.
**The dates are given in terms of the Catholic liturgical calendar in use at the time. To determine the dates according to the Gregorian calendar it would be necessary to determine the date of the Feast of Pentecost in 1877 and then to count the number of Sundays after that feast day.
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:19 pm      Post subject:

thank you dave on both accounts. your efforts are truly appreciated. happy new year
wavydave

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:25 pm      Post subject: Baptism record from 1870

Hi Dave - can you please let me know if I'm reading this baptism record from 1780 correctly? The infant baptised (on June 23 in Wasylkow) was named Antoni and was the son of noble Stefan Borowski and Marianna. Am I correct?

antoni_borowski_birth_june23_1780.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  790.04 KB

antoni_borowski_birth_june23_1780.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 163, 164, 165 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 164 of 274

Jump to: