PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 182, 183, 184  Next
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:01 pm      Post subject: Latin translation for 1850 Marriage Record in Wisloczek, Gal

This is my first time requesting a translation, so I hope I am doing this correctly. Thank you for your help. The attached record is from the parish of Wisloczek, pow. Krosno, Galicia (now Poland). This was a filial Greek Catholic church to the church in Tarnawka. I know the marriage was between Matheus ZOZULA, son of Elia(s) ZOZULA and Maria SATAY (also spelled as Szatayda). Matheus was age 21 and single. Anna, age 19 and single, was the daughter of Basilii Leczak, (I think this is translated as LECH) farmer of Wisloczek, and Anna Dzendzel. Anna D's father was Michaele, and her mother was Eva.

What I need help with translating is the notation below the names. "Sponsi consensum" means something similar to "bride agreement", and there is a date of 19 May 1845. Thank you for your help!

Marr ZOZULA Mathias LECK Anna with additional info.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  531.2 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Marr ZOZULA Mathias LECK Anna with additional info.PNG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2010

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin translation for 1850 Marriage Record in Wisloczek,

karebrad wrote:
This is my first time requesting a translation, so I hope I am doing this correctly. Thank you for your help. The attached record is from the parish of Wisloczek, pow. Krosno, Galicia (now Poland). This was a filial Greek Catholic church to the church in Tarnawka. I know the marriage was between Matheus ZOZULA, son of Elia(s) ZOZULA and Maria SATAY (also spelled as Szatayda). Matheus was age 21 and single. Anna, age 19 and single, was the daughter of Basilii Leczak, (I think this is translated as LECH) farmer of Wisloczek, and Anna Dzendzel. Anna D's father was Michaele, and her mother was Eva.

What I need help with translating is the notation below the names. "Sponsi consensum" means something similar to "bride agreement", and there is a date of 19 May 1845. Thank you for your help!

Hi Karen,

Before getting to the translation some preliminary remarks may be helpful. The record is in Latin because it is a civil copy and the Austrian government required that records be kept in that language. It was not the parish priest’s first ecclesiastical language and it was not a language understood by the bride and the groom and the other individuals in the record. The liturgical language (used for the Mass and the Sacraments) of the Greek Rite Catholic Church in 19th Galicia was Church Slavonic. Latin, unlike English, is a highly inflected language where nouns, pronouns, and adjectives employ various case endings which means that personal nouns have five sets of endings in the singular which show how the noun is being used in a sentence. In records such as this marriage record the cases found are the Nominative (Subject Case), the Genitive (Case of Possession), the Accusative (Direct Object Case) and the Ablative (Multi-use Case). An example of the practical application of Case endings in the record is the name entered as Basilii, which is the Genitive of the name Basilius. Basilius would be how the name would appear in the Nominative Case. However, since the family spoke Polish he would have been known as Bazyli and in English he would be known as Basil. He probably had no clue that in Latin his name would be translated as Basilius. In these records first names should be translated into the vernacular (Polish) but surnames should not be translated since they are not recorded in Latin. They should be kept in Polish as they appear in the record. However, since 19th Century Polish spelling is not always the same as contemporary Polish spelling a case can be made to used the more familiar contemporary spelling but a case can also be made to keep them in their 19th Century spelling. Although the record is primarily in Latin one of the notations you mentioned is in Polish for obvious reasons since it was a statement made by the guardian of the groom and the mother of the bride.

Elias Zozula and his wife Maria née Sałayda were the maternal grandparents, not the parents, of the groom. I cannot confirm that the marriage took place in 1850. The date of May 19, 1845 is the date on which the bride and the groom received civil permission to marry. The wedding itself took place on May 25. Usually the civil permission was granted a few days before the wedding ceremony. Unless there is an error in the entry for the civil permission it is difficult to imagine that permission being granted five years before the wedding when the bride would have been 14 and the groom 16. This civil permission was something from before the emancipation from feudal obligations of peasants in Austrian controlled territories in 1848, although it didn’t die out that year and sometimes does appear in later records. The bottom line is that you should probably recheck the 1850 date of the wedding.

I’ll use a template from that time period to translate the column headings but the wording may or may not be an exact match for the column headings on the page where the record is found. I’ll translate the given names into their Polish version followed by their English form. Attached is a list of Latin given names with their Polish and English forms which you may find useful in the future.

Anyway, here is the translation.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave

The marriage record is entered in the columnar format with major divisions and subdivisions of the columns.

Col. 1: Series =Number (of the marriage for the year): Missing
Col. 2: Year at top of page: Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of Marriage): May 25
Col. 3: SPONSUS = GROOM
Col. 3a: Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 94
Col. 3b: NOMEN = NAME: Mateusz/Matthew Zozula, the illegitimate son of Maria/Mary/Marie Zozula, born of the father Eliasz/Elias Zozula and of the mother Maria/Mary/Marie born (i.e. née) Sałayda
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 3d: Aetas = Age: 21
Col. 3e: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3f: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: SPONSA = BRIDE
Col. 4a: NOMEN = NAME: Anna, the daughter of Bazyli/Basil Lęczak, a farm worker*, from Wisłoczek and of Anna Dańczak born of the father Michał/Michael and of the mother Ewa/Eve/Eva
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b2: Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Col. 4c: Aetas = Age: 19
Col. 4d: Caelebs = Maiden: Checked
Col. 4e: Vidua = Widow: Blank

Col. 5: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Jan/John Pakuz (&) Damian Sekuła, farmers.

Final entries: (In Latin): The spouses brought beforehand from the respective lord (Pan in Polish i.e. the feudal landowner) Kyman the permission to enter into marriage dated 19 May,1845 Number 29. (In Polish): We, the guardian of the underage Zozula, and I, the mother of underage Anna, grant our permission to enter into the bonds of marriage, in witness of which we sign below.
+Jan Pakuz, guardian, and Anna Lęczakowa** +

Notation at top of entry (in Latin): Jan Konstantynowicz, administrator in Wisłoczek joined them in marriage.

Notes: *agrarius: the term indicates a farm worker who was bound to an estate.
**Lęczakowa: The suffix -owa indicates “wife of...” In this instance it means the wife of Lęczak.

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.08 KB
 Downloaded:  43 Time(s)

karebrad

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:07 am      Post subject: THANK YOU a million times for this translation

Dave - I truly appreciate your help with this record!

If it is not too much, I hope you can give me your opinion about the Final Entry:

1. what was the legal age of marriage for males and females in this time period?
2. Is Jan Pakuz the guardian of Matheus? Is he the guardian by virtue of marriage to Matheus mother, Marie?

Thank you again!

karebrad

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:22 pm      Post subject: apologies for incorrect date of marriage record

Dave - my most sincere apologies....the marriage record of Mathias ZOZULA and Anna LECZAK/LECH was May 25, 1845...not 1850 as in my original post.

I truly appreciate your help, and your insights.

All the best, Karen

UrsulaPeter

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:49 pm      Post subject: Family relationships mentioned in proof of nobility

My document is related to Hungarian Geneology but I this is a really old Latin document, so I didn't have any luck finding help with the translation. I would appreciate any help!

The grand of arms was given to Petrus Magjari/Magyari in 1650 (in Alba Iulia) by George Rákóczi (Prince of Transylvania). He lived in Szentrontás/Szent Rontás (Transylvania), in Maros county (Marisiensis).
The document on Imgur is the proof of nobility of some of the descendants of Petrus Magyari. The people mentioned in the proof of nobility are Balthasar, Joannes, Sigismundus, Petrus, Paulus, Michaelis. According to another source, Joannes (one of the people in this document) was born in 1727. I have posted the whole document on Imgur but I think the second image mentions the relationships to eachother.

https://imgur.com/a/4Hoz1Kx?fbclid=IwAR2ZbttNzeG6sbzxHnWALTRknq3LNIseErCzdmptzNKsStZ1RANG9Qt34Ng

I would like to know how the aforementioned people are related to eachother (brother, cousin, father, etc). If Joannes was born in 1629, there are 100 years until his grandson was born in 1727, which is a bit strange. Does this document contradict the relationships that I mentioned above? The third image mentions something about 60 years. What does it refer to? Any additional geneological information/anything about family history would also be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Family relationships mentioned in proof of nobility

UrsulaPeter wrote:
My document is related to Hungarian Geneology but I this is a really old Latin document, so I didn't have any luck finding help with the translation. I would appreciate any help!

The grand of arms was given to Petrus Magjari/Magyari in 1650 (in Alba Iulia) by George Rákóczi (Prince of Transylvania). He lived in Szentrontás/Szent Rontás (Transylvania), in Maros county (Marisiensis).
The document on Imgur is the proof of nobility of some of the descendants of Petrus Magyari. The people mentioned in the proof of nobility are Balthasar, Joannes, Sigismundus, Petrus, Paulus, Michaelis. According to another source, Joannes (one of the people in this document) was born in 1727. I have posted the whole document on Imgur but I think the second image mentions the relationships to eachother.

https://imgur.com/a/4Hoz1Kx?fbclid=IwAR2ZbttNzeG6sbzxHnWALTRknq3LNIseErCzdmptzNKsStZ1RANG9Qt34Ng

I would like to know how the aforementioned people are related to eachother (brother, cousin, father, etc). If Joannes was born in 1629, there are 100 years until his grandson was born in 1727, which is a bit strange. Does this document contradict the relationships that I mentioned above? The third image mentions something about 60 years. What does it refer to? Any additional geneological information/anything about family history would also be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi,

The proof of nobility document you posted was written on or after December 1, 1753. It is in Latin since that was the language still in use for official documents in Eastern and Central Europe at the time. I usually render Latin given names into their Polish version when I do translations. The names as they appear in Latin were not ordinarily used by the individuals named in the document. Since I have no knowledge of the Hungarian language I will render them into their English version.

In the concluding paragraphs of the document the relationships of some of the named individuals do appear however the individuals are somewhat distant from the paterfamilias Peter Magjari/Magyari.

Michael is the son of Peter. Paul and Balthazar are full brothers (fratres germani) and are the sons of Michael. Sigismund, Peter, and John are the sons of Paul.

Since the names John, Peter, Paul, and Michael are common given names they may be male names regularly used within the extended family. No dates are given for any of the individuals which makes it rather difficult to correlate them with individuals found in other records/documents.

The more than 60 years about which you asked refers to events remembered in human memory as opposed to events recorded in documents and basically is stating that the surname occurred continuously for more than 60 years, which was considered the upper end of memories of any given living individual.

Wishing you continued success,’

Dave
UrsulaPeter

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:25 pm      Post subject: Thank you for your help!

Dear Dave,
Thank you very much for your help, as this clears things up a lot. There was a lot of contradiction about Joannes' grandfather even in other documents (for example military records after 1635 don't mention Joannes). I have several documents that state the relationship between Joannes (born in 1727) and Petrus, but it seems difficult to connect the two as this period has only a few records.
Thank you again, I truly appreciate the help!
a4u2fear

Replies: 162

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:05 pm      Post subject:

hi dave hope you are well.

the death, peter anthony berizzi, 3rd from bottom left, is the day of his death the 10th?

also, what do you make of the crossed out handwritting and written in date? what does it say? His wife was franciska Schmitt so that is the crossed out part, but i see a written in date.

this death was in 1795 in Ruelzheim, Germersheim, Bayern, Germany

peter anthony berizzi death 1795 8110156 img 183.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB

peter anthony berizzi death 1795 8110156 img 183.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:43 pm      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
hi dave hope you are well.

the death, peter anthony berizzi, 3rd from bottom left, is the day of his death the 10th?

also, what do you make of the crossed out handwritting and written in date? what does it say? His wife was franciska Schmitt so that is the crossed out part, but i see a written in date.

this death was in 1795 in Ruelzheim, Germersheim, Bayern, Germany

Hi Andrew,

The part of the entry in faded ink is the date of death in Arabic numerals. There are some problems with the date. The entry in faded ink does not agree with the date earlier in the record in longhand. In longhand the scribe is attempting to write “on the nineteenth day of the month of May”. He wrote “die decima nona” but the correct Latin would be “die undevicesima”. (Both 18 & 19 are expressed as two & one from twenty).The scribe then wrote “die 9 Maji 1795” (The 9th day of May) in Arabic numerals. I have moral certitude that the date of death actually was May 19, 1795 and say this because the entry for Peter and the entry before his say the same thing about the date and the entry prior to these two gives the date of death as May 17 both in longhand and in Arabic numerals and the entry which follows these two gives the date of death as May 20 in both forms. Thus May 19 makes the most sense. Perhaps the scribe cut class when numbers were being taught back in Latin I or perhaps he was feeling a bit under the weather on the day after a rough night or perhaps he totally spaced out as he entered the data. Who can say?

You are correct that the maiden name of the widow was crossed out and the surname Schmitt was entered.

Here is a translation of the entire entry: Left Margin: Berizzi Peter Anthony, 75 years of age. Body of entry: In the year which is above on the nineteenth day of the month of May Peter Anthony Berizzi, a resident merchant of this place and the husband of M.(Mary) Francis Schmitt, died and was buried in the cemetery of this parish church.
Faded Date in Arabic Numerals: May 9, 1795. Running tally: #1124.

I hope this clarifies matters and that you are keeping well.

Dave
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:49 am      Post subject:

thanks dave. makes sense. you never disappoint with your replies; long and complete!

andrew

i wlll have more posts coming
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:20 am      Post subject:

dave,

attached are two marriages in 1782 in Berg, Germersheim, Bayern, Germany

One is my direct grandparents marriage, Ferdinand Harter and Catharina Hofman (Bottom right). The one above it is Ferdinand's brother Ludovicus.

I am unable to distinguish their mother's maiden name. She is Catharina _____. Do you have any ideas on the spelling or name?

Also, what is the word under Ferdinand's name on the right side of the page?

If possible, could you translate the ferdinand/catharina marriage? A place they are from is Rulzheim if it is hard to read

Thanks as always

ferdinand harder catharina hofman marriage 7947280 img 308.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.47 MB

ferdinand harder catharina hofman marriage 7947280 img 308.jpg

starshadow

Replies: 229

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:31 pm      Post subject:

Please help me translate this 1791(?) baptism from Szczepankowo parish.

1791-szczepankowo-baptism-zusana-jendziak.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.71 MB

1791-szczepankowo-baptism-zusana-jendziak.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:42 am      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
dave,

attached are two marriages in 1782 in Berg, Germersheim, Bayern, Germany

One is my direct grandparents marriage, Ferdinand Harter and Catharina Hofman (Bottom right). The one above it is Ferdinand's brother Ludovicus.

I am unable to distinguish their mother's maiden name. She is Catharina _____. Do you have any ideas on the spelling or name?

Also, what is the word under Ferdinand's name on the right side of the page?

If possible, could you translate the ferdinand/catharina marriage? A place they are from is Rulzheim if it is hard to read

Thanks as always

Hi Andrew,

The word in the right margin under the name of the groom is dimissus which is the Perfect Passive Participle of the verb dimitto, dimittere, dimisi, dimissum, to relinquish/dismiss/send away/etc. Here it means that the pastor who wrote the entry is relinquishing his right to the pastoral care of the groom and transferring that right to the pastor of another parish. It is a formal statement recognizing that the groom will become a member of a different parish with the consent of his former pastor. The same word appears with the same meaning in the marriage record of Ludwig. Much of each entry is devoted to legalities and the language used in both records is the same other than the names and specific data of each couple. All the legalities are fine in Latin but result in a rather cumbersome and convoluted statement in English.

I’m afraid that even after seeing the name in both records my reading of the letters of the mother’s maiden name will be of no help to you. Could it possibly be Ficher? Reading German surnames is not my forte. Sophia is very good at that and perhaps she may be able to shed some light on the name.

Here is the translation.

Dave

Right margin: Berg; Ferdinand Harter; relinquished
Body of Entry: 11 February, 1782. On the 11th day of the month of February of the year 1782 after the three proclamations (of the banns) had been made publicly in my parish church and since no impediment had been detected, I joined together in marriage the upright single young man Ferdinand Harter, the son of Ferdinand Harter, a miller, and of Catherine Ficher(?) burgers and married in Berg while they lived residing as my parishioners (&) I relinquish him as long as he remained my parishioner to (illegible name) and the pastor in Rulzheim, with the chaste maiden Catherine Hofman, the legitimate daughter of Michael Hofman, a burger and miller dwelling in Rulzheim, and of Frances née Lechmittin(?) burgers, married and dwelling in Rulzheim, born in the said parish (refers to the bride’s birth in Rulzheim).
Signature: Francis Joseph Kaler, pastor in Berg
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:58 am      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Please help me translate this 1791(?) baptism from Szczepankowo parish.

Hi Starshadow,

The document is a baptismal certificate. Here is the translation.

Dave

Top: Revenue stamp for 10 groszy

In the Baptismal Register of the parish church of Szczepankowo is found this which follows:

Village of Uśnik

In the Year of Our Lord 1791 on the 18th day of the month of August I, Ildefons (English:Ildephonse) Bomilinski of the Order of Saint Benedict, baptized an infant by the name of Zuzanna, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of the industrious Marcin and Anastazja Jendziak. The sponsors were the upright Jan Łukowski and Scholastyka Tułacz (wife of Tułacz).

Grzegorz Wyrzykowski, vicar of Szczepankowo* certifies this.
Given: 19 January, 1822 at Sczepankowo
Imprint of parish seal

Note: *The initials V.S. may stand for Vicarius Sczepankoviensis (vicar of Szczepankowo) but they could also stand for Vicarius Substitutus (Substitute Vicar), a title used for a priest who temporarily is taking the place of the vicar/pastor of the parish.
starshadow

Replies: 229

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:23 pm      Post subject:

Great! Thanks Dave. I wonder who paid the 10 groszy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 182, 183, 184  Next Page 179 of 184

Jump to: