PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:49 pm      Post subject: Translation

Hello, I was hoping you could help me translate this record. It is the 3rd record down, Nicolaus Janowski married to Marianna Lafsotowa. Thank you so much for your help.

Nicholas Janowski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.77 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Nicholas Janowski.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:45 am      Post subject: Re: Translation

TifaStrife wrote:
Hello, I was hoping you could help me translate this record. It is the 3rd record down, Nicolaus Janowski married to Marianna Lafsotowa. Thank you so much for your help.

Hi,

Here is the translation of the marriage record. For any future translation requests I would ask that the image of the record be posted in a format which allows for easy zooming. The way the image was posted did not allow for that and squinting at the computer screen no longer works for me. Also, please provide at least basic geographical information. Such info dramatically decreases the amount of time needed to be spent to get a handle on the geography involved—especially in cases like this where the area is no longer part of contemporary Poland. The places in the record you posted were in Galicia prior to WWI and then were in the Second Polish Republic until after WWII but are no longer Polish territory.

Thank you for your future consideration and attention to these matters.

Dave

The marriage record is entered in the columnar format and there are four major divisions of columns. The major divisions also are divided into sub-columns.

Major Division #1
Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of the wedding): 29th day of October, 1822

Major Division #2: SPONSUS = GROOM
Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 76
NOMEN = NAME: Mikołaj Janowski, son of the Nobles* Józef and Maryanna in Piszczatyńce
Religio = Religion
Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Aetas = Age: 35
Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Viduus = Widower: Blank

Major Division #3: SPONSA = BRIDE
NOMEN = NAME: Maryanna Lassotowa**, daughter of the Nobles* Mikołaj and Ewa in Piszczatyńce
Religio = Religion
Aetas = Age: 23
Caelebs = Maiden/Bachelorette: Checked
Vidua = Widow: Blank

Major Division #4: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Michał Marcinkiewicz (illegible word), Commissioner/Commissary of Property; Antoni Chra??iewicz, steward (illegible word)

Final entries: The same who is above blessed (the marriage). The consent of the parent (i. e. the father) of the bride, that is Mikołaj Lassota, was granted.

Notes: *nobilis/noble: a member of the szlachta who was an owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land
** The suffix -owa was the feminine form of the surname Lassota.
TifaStrife

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:24 am      Post subject: Re: Translation

Thank you so much Dave. You have been such a. Gift in providing these translations that I want to deeply apologize that this was not in the preferred format. Will be sure to do better in the future. Thank you for your time and your translation as it is much appreciated.

dnowicki wrote:
TifaStrife wrote:

Hi,

Here is the translation of the marriage record. For any future translation requests I would ask that the image of the record be posted in a format which allows for easy zooming. The way the image was posted did not allow for that and squinting at the computer screen no longer works for me. Also, please provide at least basic geographical information. Such info dramatically decreases the amount of time needed to be spent to get a handle on the geography involved—especially in cases like this where the area is no longer part of contemporary Poland. The places in the record you posted were in Galicia prior to WWI and then were in the Second Polish Republic until after WWII but are no longer Polish territory.

Thank you for your future consideration and attention to these matters.

Dave

The marriage record is entered in the columnar format and there are four major divisions of columns. The major divisions also are divided into sub-columns.

Major Division #1
Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of the wedding): 29th day of October, 1822

Major Division #2: SPONSUS = GROOM
Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 76
NOMEN = NAME: Mikołaj Janowski, son of the Nobles* Józef and Maryanna in Piszczatyńce
Religio = Religion
Aetas = Age: 35
Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Viduus = Widower: Blank

Major Division #3: SPONSA = BRIDE
NOMEN = NAME: Maryanna Lassotowa**, daughter of the Nobles* Mikołaj and Ewa in Piszczatyńce
Religio = Religion
Aetas = Age: 23
Caelebs = Maiden/Bachelorette: Checked
Vidua = Widow: Blank

Major Division #4: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Michał Marcinkiewicz (illegible word), Commissioner/Commissary of Property; Antoni Chra??iewicz, steward (illegible word)

Final entries: The same who is above blessed (the marriage). The consent of the parent (i. e. the father) of the bride, that is Mikołaj Lassota, was granted.

Notes: *nobilis/noble: a member of the szlachta who was an owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land
** The suffix -owa was the feminine form of the surname Lassota.
seanman1224

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 pm      Post subject:

I have a question. On my ancestor's 1775 Polish baptismal record written in Latin, it says "... filium H. Adam Chojnowski and Marianna..." What does the "H." stand for? I took to mean honorable, but I'm not sure in which way it's referring, whether he was of a higher class, or if it's a sign of respect.
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:28 pm      Post subject:

seanman1224 wrote:
I have a question. On my ancestor's 1775 Polish baptismal record written in Latin, it says "... filium H. Adam Chojnowski and Marianna..." What does the "H." stand for? I took to mean honorable, but I'm not sure in which way it's referring, whether he was of a higher class, or if it's a sign of respect.

Hi,

Without seeing the context of the entry (other entries on the page, as a minimum, and the surrounding pages for even better context) it is difficult to give a definitive answer. However, such abbreviations were used to indicate social/economic status. There are two adjectives which begin with the letter h and were used to indicate social/economic status, honestus (upright) and honoratus (honorable). Honoratus was used for a member of the szlachta and honestus was used for a peasant or a freeholder. The abbreviation most likely does not stand for honoratus since entries for members of the szlachta tended to be longer and more detailed. Since honestus (upright) usually was used for a farmer from a village or from a small town it is found in a fairly large number of entries and was much more common than honoratus. If later records list your ancestor as a noble (member of the szlachta) the conclusion would be that the H stands for honoratus and if that is not the case then it most likely stands for honestus.

Sorry that without more context a more definite answer is not possible.

Wishing you continued successful research,

Dave
seanman1224

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:52 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:

Hi,

Without seeing the context of the entry (other entries on the page, as a minimum, and the surrounding pages for even better context) it is difficult to give a definitive answer. However, such abbreviations were used to indicate social/economic status. There are two adjectives which begin with the letter h and were used to indicate social/economic status, honestus (upright) and honoratus (honorable). Honoratus was used for a member of the szlachta and honestus was used for a peasant or a freeholder. The abbreviation most likely does not stand for honoratus since entries for members of the szlachta tended to be longer and more detailed. Since honestus (upright) usually was used for a farmer from a village or from a small town it is found in a fairly large number of entries and was much more common than honoratus. If later records list your ancestor as a noble (member of the szlachta) the conclusion would be that the H stands for honoratus and if that is not the case then it most likely stands for honestus.

Sorry that without more context a more definite answer is not possible.

Wishing you continued successful research,

Dave

That's a perfect explanation! Thanks so much. Smile
Send e-mail
Poucinette

Replies: 41

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:41 am      Post subject: Traduction naissance de Jakub STASIAK

Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

J'auraus besoin d'aide pour la traduction de l'acte de naissance de Jakub STASIAK en 1760

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DRTQ-VZG?i=98&wc=9RT7-HZQ%3A362228801%2C363897801%2C363897802&cc=2115410

Poland, Częstochowa Roman...c Church Books, 1226-1950 Łódź Rząśnia Births (Akta urodzeń) 1737-1769

Page 99/155

Merci pour l'aide apportée
Cordialement
Patricia

1760 Jacob Stasiak Kazimierz Barbara Rząśnia Broche Notes: k97v Date de naissance: 22/07/1760. Lieu de stockage des livres: Archives de l'archidiocèse à Częstochowa 42-225 Częstochowa, ul. St. Barbara 41L'index ajouté: Krycha
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:34 am      Post subject: Re: Traduction naissance de Jakub STASIAK

Poucinette wrote:
Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

J'auraus besoin d'aide pour la traduction de l'acte de naissance de Jakub STASIAK en 1760

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DRTQ-VZG?i=98&wc=9RT7-HZQ%3A362228801%2C363897801%2C363897802&cc=2115410

Poland, Częstochowa Roman...c Church Books, 1226-1950 Łódź Rząśnia Births (Akta urodzeń) 1737-1769

Page 99/155

Merci pour l'aide apportée
Cordialement
Patricia

1760 Jacob Stasiak Kazimierz Barbara Rząśnia Broche Notes: k97v Date de naissance: 22/07/1760. Lieu de stockage des livres: Archives de l'archidiocèse à Częstochowa 42-225 Częstochowa, ul. St. Barbara 41L'index ajouté: Krycha

Hi Patricia,

The date in the entry (22 July 1760) is the date of Baptism which may or may not be the date of birth of Jakub. Sometimes infants were baptized on the day they were born and sometimes a few days after birth. Since the entry is a baptismal record and not a birth record there is no mention of the date of birth.

Anyway, here follows the translation.

Wishing you continued successful research,’’

Dave

Left Margin: (The Village of) Broszęcin
Body of Entry: I, W. Adamkiewicz, on the 22nd day of July baptized an infant by the name of Jakub, (born) of the legitimate marital union of the industrious* Kazimierz and Barbara Stasiak. The sponsors were Grzegorz Wanty (and) Gertruda Opatczykowa, both from Broszęcin.

Note: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:37 pm      Post subject: 1779 Birth Record - Jozef Koscinski

Greetings all!

I have my own, very rough ideas of what this record is saying, but would greatly appreciate a proper translation from more learned eyes (that probably means you, Dave Smile

It's the third record down on the right hand page, found here...

Poland, Bydgoszcz, Chlewiska (Inowrocław):

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSX8-5SDV-4?i=751&cat=1049604

As always, many, many thanks!!
Joe

Jozef Koscinski b 1779.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB

Jozef Koscinski b 1779.jpg

Poucinette

Replies: 41

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:21 am      Post subject: Traduction acte de naissance

Bonjour Dave,
Merci beaucoup pour la traduction de l'acte de Jakub STASIAK

Patricia
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:52 am      Post subject: 1827 Marriage Record

Could someone please help with the translation of my 4x Great Grandparents Marriage? I understand the basics, but I was hoping that someone could help me with the town that the grooms father is from and the occupation of the brides father? I would also appreciate the legal stuff at the bottom along with the witnesses.

Thank you very much,
Kurt

1827-Joseph Rusakiewicz & Anna Klob Marriage_Mosty Wielkie 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB

1827-Joseph Rusakiewicz & Anna Klob Marriage_Mosty Wielkie 2.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:03 pm      Post subject: Re: 1779 Birth Record - Jozef Koscinski

JGwizdowski wrote:
Greetings all!

I have my own, very rough ideas of what this record is saying, but would greatly appreciate a proper translation from more learned eyes (that probably means you, Dave Smile

Joe

Hi Joe,

The title you gave to the record and the image do not match. The title is for the B&B record of Józef Kościński and the image is of his burial record. Here is the translation of the burial record.

Left Margin: Chlewiska
Body of Entry: In the year 1779 on the 2nd day of May Józef Kościński. 15 weeks old, the son of the organist of Chlewiska, died and was buried by me, Adam Szymlik, on the 4th of May in the church before* the altar of Saint Anthony.

Note: penes/before = in front of

Here is the link to his B&B record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSX8-5SZ1-1?i=623&cat=1049604 and here follows the translation.

Body of Entry: In the same year (1779) on the 19th day of January, I, the same as above, baptized an infant by the name of Józef, the son of the legitimate parents Marcin Kościński, the organist of Chlewiska, and of Agnieszka. The sponsors bearing him to the Sacred Font were Bartłomiej Szczekocki, a shepherd from Mleczkowo and Maryanna Michałka from Chlewiska.

Burials within the church building occurred during the 18th & 19th Centuries in Poland. (I don’t know about the 20th Century.) The select few still get to be buried in a church in some parts of Europe in the present century but such burials have been rather infrequent on this side of the pond. One such burial of which I am aware is that George Cardinal Mundelein of Chicago is buried under the main altar in the chapel in St. Mary of the Lake Seminary in the town which bears his name. In earlier times in Poland it would seem that the practical details of such burials would very much depend on how the foundation of the church building was set up. Some churches had burial crypts in the foundation level of the building. Some of my ancestors were parishioners of the Parish Church of St. Oswald in Plonkowo (about 28km from Chlewiska). I learned that in 1939 the Nazis shot the parish priest and burned the church building. After the war an archaeological dig uncovered burial crypts with human remains. Perhaps in church burials in Chlewiska may have been done in a similar fashion. Attached are some photos from the excavation which may provide clues about the details of Józef’s burial in the parish church. I can’t find the site where I found the pictures so I’m just attaching the page I used as part of the family history.

Wishing you well,

Dave

1754 Church of St. Oswald.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.04 MB

1754 Church of St. Oswald.jpg

Archeological Excavation.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.86 MB

Archeological Excavation.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:12 pm      Post subject: Re: 1827 Marriage Record

Kurt1322 wrote:
Could someone please help with the translation of my 4x Great Grandparents Marriage? I understand the basics, but I was hoping that someone could help me with the town that the grooms father is from and the occupation of the brides father? I would also appreciate the legal stuff at the bottom along with the witnesses.

Thank you very much,
Kurt

Hi Kurt,

You did a good job with the info you extracted from the record. I would add that the groom lived in house #124. Ferri faber (lit. a worker of iron) was used for a blacksmith (kowal, in Polish) so that would be a more specific description of the occupation. The groom’s parents were from the village of Przystań (ex Przystanie/from Przystań). The village belonged to the parish of Mosty Wielkie. His father also was a blacksmith. The occupation of the father of the bride was a cooper, barrel maker. The Latin is doliator, doliatoris, m. cooper, barrel maker (although coopers made other things out of wood besides barrels—implements which required wood to be steamed to render it pliable). His occupation in Polish was bednarz and he and his wife & daughter were from the village of Mosty Wielkie. I would render the names of the individuals in the record in their Polish version rather than the English version. Attached is a PDF list of Latin given names with their Polish and English forms.

The first witness was Kazimierz Wysocki, a noble. The term nobilis/noble was used for a member of the szlachta who was the owner or the leaseholder of a parcel of land. The 2nd witness was Teodor Haraszkiewicz who was a carpenter/joiner whose specialty was joinery. (Latin: arcularius, arcularii. m. joiner; Polish: stolarz). Both witnesses were from the village of Mosty Wielkie.

The legal stuff reads: Józef Witkowski, the curate, blessed the marriage.
Permission of Pan Butony and of the father was given for the groom in the Akt/document of 17 February, 1827 and likewise for the bride (the consent) of Pan Mosty by the Orphans Court* in the Akt/document of 17 February, 1827, found in the parochial Acts for marriage from the year 1827 under the letter H.

Note: *instantia pupilaris/orphans court: The civil court which gave permission for underage individuals to marry.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.22 KB
 Downloaded:  167 Time(s)

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:54 am      Post subject: Re: 1779 Birth Record - Jozef Koscinski

dnowicki wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:
Greetings all!

Joe

Hi Joe,

The title you gave to the record and the image do not match. The title is for the B&B record of Józef Kościński and the image is of his burial record. Here is the translation of the burial record.

Body of Entry: In the year 1779 on the 2nd day of May Józef Kościński. 15 weeks old, the son of the organist of Chlewiska, died and was buried by me, Adam Szymlik, on the 4th of May in the church before* the altar of Saint Anthony.

Note: penes/before = in front of

Here is the link to his B&B record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSX8-5SZ1-1?i=623&cat=1049604 and here follows the translation.

Body of Entry: In the same year (1779) on the 19th day of January, I, the same as above, baptized an infant by the name of Józef, the son of the legitimate parents Marcin Kościński, the organist of Chlewiska, and of Agnieszka. The sponsors bearing him to the Sacred Font were Bartłomiej Szczekocki, a shepherd from Mleczkowo and Maryanna Michałka from Chlewiska.

Burials within the church building occurred during the 18th & 19th Centuries in Poland. (I don’t know about the 20th Century.) The select few still get to be buried in a church in some parts of Europe in the present century but such burials have been rather infrequent on this side of the pond. One such burial of which I am aware is that George Cardinal Mundelein of Chicago is buried under the main altar in the chapel in St. Mary of the Lake Seminary in the town which bears his name. In earlier times in Poland it would seem that the practical details of such burials would very much depend on how the foundation of the church building was set up. Some churches had burial crypts in the foundation level of the building. Some of my ancestors were parishioners of the Parish Church of St. Oswald in Plonkowo (about 28km from Chlewiska). I learned that in 1939 the Nazis shot the parish priest and burned the church building. After the war an archaeological dig uncovered burial crypts with human remains. Perhaps in church burials in Chlewiska may have been done in a similar fashion. Attached are some photos from the excavation which may provide clues about the details of Józef’s burial in the parish church. I can’t find the site where I found the pictures so I’m just attaching the page I used as part of the family history.

Wishing you well,

Dave

I can't thank you enough, Dave! Your knowledge and insight gives such meaning and historical perspective to those who have been so long forgotten. If not for the help I've received here over the years, I'd still be stumbling around in circles!

Many Thanks!
Joe

bigmakusa

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:33 pm      Post subject: Request for Translation - Latin Marriage Record

Would appreciate a complete translation of this 1789 marriage record written in Latin from the Zagorow parish. The record is the second in the left hand column from the town of Skokom, No. 37

1789 Zagorow Marriage Record No. 37).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1010.66 KB

1789 Zagorow Marriage Record No. 37).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 195 of 274

Jump to: