PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 56

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:45 pm      Post subject:

Hi,

I'm looking to have the 5th entry of this birth record translated. It's the birth of Susanna Zynda of Owsnice if I'm not mistaken. I understand the condition of the document might make it difficult.

Thank you!

SusannaZyndaBirth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

SusannaZyndaBirth.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:42 pm      Post subject: Re: Request for Translation - Latin Marriage Record

bigmakusa wrote:
Would appreciate a complete translation of this 1789 marriage record written in Latin from the Zagorow parish. The record is the second in the left hand column from the town of Skokom, No. 37

Hi,

Here is the translation you requested. I hope that you find it useful.

Dave

#37 Skokum (contemporary spelling)
On the 23rd day of November, I, Brother Bernard of the Society of VCL,* blessed the marriage contracted between the industrious** Kacper,*** single young man, and Urszula, a maiden, after the banns had been announced in the parish church of Zagornów and after no Canonical impediment had been discovered, in the presence of the witnesses, namely the industrious** Jakub, a notary****, Antoni Kierzek, and others.

Notes: *VCL: This abbreviation is not familiar to me. It does not appear on the list of common abbreviations for Catholic religious orders.
**laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant
***Gasparum: Name of one of the Magi. The English is Kasper/Casper. Polish has several variations of the spelling of the name—Kaspar. Kacper, Gaspar, and Kasper.
****scabinus, i, m. has several meanings—a judicial officer, notary, juror, alderman. Feel free to choose whichever alternative meaning which makes sense to you given what you know of the parish.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:24 am      Post subject:

jmcenaney wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to have the 5th entry of this birth record translated. It's the birth of Susanna Zynda of Owsnice if I'm not mistaken. I understand the condition of the document might make it difficult.

Thank you!

Hi,

Here is the translation of your document. I hope that you find it helpful.

Dave

Owśnice
On the 22nd day of June I, Andrzej Bieszk, superior of (illegible), baptized an infant by the name of Zuzanna born on the 20th of this (month) of the legitimate marital union of Maciej and Maryanna Zynda. The sponsors* were Łukasz Bonik and Ewa Czerzanowa**.

Notes: *patrini/sponsors: commonly known as godparents.
**-owa: The feminine suffix used for a married woman. I’m not certain that rz is the correct reading of the letters as written.
jmcenaney

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:04 pm      Post subject:

Very much so. Thank you!
jmcenaney

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:37 pm      Post subject:

Hi,

I'm looking to have an entry in this document translated.  I don't know exactly where the entry officially begins and ends but line numbers 6 and 7 on the left page (starting under 1801 at the top) contain the names Antony & Justina Fiszer and I'm looking for whatever it says about them (I'm thinking it's the birth of a daughter?).  

Thank you!

JulianaFiszerpareddown.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.76 MB

JulianaFiszerpareddown.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 pm      Post subject:

jmcenaney wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to have an entry in this document translated.  I don't know exactly where the entry officially begins and ends but line numbers 6 and 7 on the left page (starting under 1801 at the top) contain the names Antony & Justina Fiszer and I'm looking for whatever it says about them (I'm thinking it's the birth of a daughter?).  

Thank you!

Hi,

You are correct that the entry is a baptismal record. The record begins with the name of the village (Wętfie) and ends with the surname of the female sponsor aka godmother. All of the entries on the pages you posted contain the following information: 1. The name of the village where the family resided; 2. The date of the baptism; 3. The name of the baptizing priest; 4. The name of the child baptized; 5. Names of the parents and the status of their marriage; and 6. Names of the baptismal sponsors aka godparents.

Here follows the translation:
Wętfie. On the 13th day of December I, Marcin Bieszk, baptized an infant by the name of Julianna Ewa (born of) the legitimate marriage of Antoni and Justyna Fiszer. The sponsors were Marcin Płachecki and Maryanna ?iesołowska*.

Notes: I am unable to determine the first letter of the surname.
I translate given names into their Polish forms. Wętfie was located in Kashubia, which was part of the Province of Pomerania (Województwo Pomorskie) of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth until the region was seized by Prussia during the First Partition of Poland in 1772. The region had been Polish territory since the early Middle Ages. Although Kashubian can be classified as a distinct language, it is usually categorized as a dialect of Polish, for which reason I find it more accurate to render the names in their Polish form. I’m attaching a PDF of Latin first names with their English & Polish versions which I composed several years ago. I’m also attaching a map of Kashubia and a photo of traditional Kashubian folk attire. Perhaps the attachments may prove useful to you.

Wishing you continued successful research,

Dave

kaszuby strój ludowy -1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  493.07 KB

kaszuby strój ludowy -1.png

Kaszuby_-_grupy_lokalne.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.33 MB

Kaszuby_-_grupy_lokalne.png

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.22 KB
 Downloaded:  233 Time(s)

jmcenaney

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:23 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

I am so appreciative of the translation and associated information you provided. The document you made is invaluable. Thank you again!

Jaime
hajdasz

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:43 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Can you please translate this birth record?

I know Wawryzniec is listed as illegitimate. He was my 2X great grandfather. I would just like translation of every bit of info.

His mother is the widow to Antoni Ossolinski. They had 3 children prior to Wawryzniec, but they died young. Antoni passed in 1854, but I don't know the month.

I posted about this situation in another post yesterday. I am DNA matches to other Ossolinskis, who are not descendants of Wawryzniec. We are distant cousins, so the common ancestor is prior to 1800, I believe.

I'm trying to figure out why he is listed as illegitimate, but still takes Antoni's surname.

Thanks,
H

Wawryzniec birth record.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.35 KB

Wawryzniec birth record.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 pm      Post subject:

hajdasz wrote:
Hello,

I know Wawryzniec is listed as illegitimate. He was my 2X great grandfather. I would just like translation of every bit of info.

His mother is the widow to Antoni Ossolinski. They had 3 children prior to Wawryzniec, but they died young. Antoni passed in 1854, but I don't know the month.

I posted about this situation in another post yesterday. I am DNA matches to other Ossolinskis, who are not descendants of Wawryzniec. We are distant cousins, so the common ancestor is prior to 1800, I believe.

I'm trying to figure out why he is listed as illegitimate, but still takes Antoni's surname.

Thanks,
H

Hi H,

To respond to your question of yesterday on the other thread...The priest alone did not take it upon himself to state that the birth was illegitimate. The Latin of the record makes that clear. He entered the data he received from those present to arrange for the baptism and to provide the details of the birth. The mother was not present to arrange for the baptism nor was she present for the ceremony itself. (During the 19th Century the child’s mother never participated in the baptismal ritual. If you look at the record you will see the mark (X) after the name of the midwife and the names of the male & the female sponsors aka godparents. The mark appears in place of their signatures (They were most likely illiterate anyway.) and indicates their agreement with the content of the record and their verification of the accuracy of the data. It is most likely that the main informant was the midwife and that the two sponsors corroborated her testimony. Thus all three were in agreement regarding the illegitimacy of the birth. The record provides info about the deceased husband (Antoni) but makes it clear that he is not the father. Of course you are correct that the period between conception & birth can and does vary. In this day & age even with scientific tools like ultra sounds predicating a due date varies. The point is that the midwife and the sponsors did their calculations and concluded that Antoni could not have been the father. It is possible that they knew the identity of the father but that info could not be accepted unless the actual father acknowledged paternity. It appears that if you want to find the death record of Antoni you will need to search prior to October of 1854.

It is also important to note that since such birth & baptism records served both as ecclesiastical and civil records the parish priest was under a double obligation to enter only what he knew and accepted as true and accurate. Otherwise he would perjure himself both according to ecclesiastical and to civil law.

I hope that this helps to resolve your questions and concerns.

Here follows the translation. The headings as they appear in the translation are the usual ones which fit the data in the columns. However, the exact wording may vary somewhat from the headings found in your record since the authorities revised the phrasing several times during the 19th Century. Also, the handwriting is not the clearest but I am certain of the accuracy of the Latin with except for several words which refer to the sponsors. I can’t guarantee the accuracy of my reading of all the surnames since I have no idea of what to expect there.

Wishing you success in locating the death record of Antoni,

Dave

Col. 1 N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: 12
Col. 2: 18 Dies et Mensis = Day and Month: July (Year missing)
Col. 2a: Nat(ivitatis) = of birth: July 26
Col. 2b: Bapt(ismi) = of baptism: July 27
Col. 3: N(ume)rus Domus = at house number: 72
Notation in Cols. 1-3: (Name of priest baptizing) An??? ????k????, the curate
Col. 4: Nomen Baptisati = Name of person baptized: Wawrzyniec
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica= Non-Catholic: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Blank
Col. 7: Thori = of the (marital) bed: Illegitimate
Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: PATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = The name of the father and the first and surname of his parents (i.e. the paternal grandparents of the child) and his condition/status/occupation: Blank
Col. 8b: MATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio = The name of the mother and also the first and surnames of her parents (i.e. the maternal grandparents of the child) and their condition/status/occupation: Maryanna Ossolinska born of the mother Agnieszka Urb???conka* and an illegitimate father, the widow surviving (lit. left behind) the late Antoni Ossolinski
Col. 9: PATRINI = Sponsors EORUM = Their
Col. 9a & b: Nomen et Cognomen et Conditio = First and Surname(s) and Condition/Occupation/ Status: Wawrzyniec Oc??siak, a semi-self sustaining** farmer & Regina (illegible word) Be???? (illegible status/occupation)
Notation in Cols. 7-9b: The non-examined midwife*** was Katarzyna D??biel, the wife of Jan.

Notes: *-onka: the old feminine suffix used for an unmarried woman. It is no longer used in contemporary Polish.
**semicmetho/semi-self sustaining farmer (Polish: półkmieć: the second highest class of peasant farmers. He generally was able to support his family from his farm holding without having to do work for anyone else. Sometimes this class of peasant farmer employed other peasants to help work his farm holding.
***obstetrix nonexaminata/ non-examined midwife: Two groups of midwives practiced in 19th Century Galicia—those who had demonstrated their knowledge and skill and had been approved/licensed and those who had not. There are numerous examples of both groups practicing in the same parish at the same time. Perhaps a good contemporary analogy would be physicians who are board certified and those who are not.
hajdasz

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:05 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
hajdasz wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,
H

Hi H,

To respond to your question of yesterday on the other thread...The priest alone did not take it upon himself to state that the birth was illegitimate. The Latin of the record makes that clear. He entered the data he received from those present to arrange for the baptism and to provide the details of the birth. The mother was not present to arrange for the baptism nor was she present for the ceremony itself. (During the 19th Century the child’s mother never participated in the baptismal ritual. If you look at the record you will see the mark (X) after the name of the midwife and the names of the male & the female sponsors aka godparents. The mark appears in place of their signatures (They were most likely illiterate anyway.) and indicates their agreement with the content of the record and their verification of the accuracy of the data. It is most likely that the main informant was the midwife and that the two sponsors corroborated her testimony. Thus all three were in agreement regarding the illegitimacy of the birth. The record provides info about the deceased husband (Antoni) but makes it clear that he is not the father. Of course you are correct that the period between conception & birth can and does vary. In this day & age even with scientific tools like ultra sounds predicating a due date varies. The point is that the midwife and the sponsors did their calculations and concluded that Antoni could not have been the father. It is possible that they knew the identity of the father but that info could not be accepted unless the actual father acknowledged paternity. It appears that if you want to find the death record of Antoni you will need to search prior to October of 1854.

It is also important to note that since such birth & baptism records served both as ecclesiastical and civil records the parish priest was under a double obligation to enter only what he knew and accepted as true and accurate. Otherwise he would perjure himself both according to ecclesiastical and to civil law.

I hope that this helps to resolve your questions and concerns.

Here follows the translation. The headings as they appear in the translation are the usual ones which fit the data in the columns. However, the exact wording may vary somewhat from the headings found in your record since the authorities revised the phrasing several times during the 19th Century. Also, the handwriting is not the clearest but I am certain of the accuracy of the Latin with except for several words which refer to the sponsors. I can’t guarantee the accuracy of my reading of all the surnames since I have no idea of what to expect there.

Wishing you success in locating the death record of Antoni,

Dave

Col. 1 N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: 12
Col. 2: 18 Dies et Mensis = Day and Month: July (Year missing)
Col. 2a: Nat(ivitatis) = of birth: July 26
Col. 2b: Bapt(ismi) = of baptism: July 27
Col. 3: N(ume)rus Domus = at house number: 72
Notation in Cols. 1-3: (Name of priest baptizing) An??? ????k????, the curate
Col. 4: Nomen Baptisati = Name of person baptized: Wawrzyniec
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica= Non-Catholic: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Blank
Col. 7: Thori = of the (marital) bed: Illegitimate
Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: PATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = The name of the father and the first and surname of his parents (i.e. the paternal grandparents of the child) and his condition/status/occupation: Blank
Col. 8b: MATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio = The name of the mother and also the first and surnames of her parents (i.e. the maternal grandparents of the child) and their condition/status/occupation: Maryanna Ossolinska born of the mother Agnieszka Urb???conka* and an illegitimate father, the widow surviving (lit. left behind) the late Antoni Ossolinski
Col. 9: PATRINI = Sponsors EORUM = Their
Col. 9a & b: Nomen et Cognomen et Conditio = First and Surname(s) and Condition/Occupation/ Status: Wawrzyniec Oc??siak, a semi-self sustaining** farmer & Regina (illegible word) Be???? (illegible status/occupation)
Notation in Cols. 7-9b: The non-examined midwife*** was Katarzyna D??biel, the wife of Jan.

Notes: *-onka: the old feminine suffix used for an unmarried woman. It is no longer used in contemporary Polish.
**semicmetho/semi-self sustaining farmer (Polish: półkmieć: the second highest class of peasant farmers. He generally was able to support his family from his farm holding without having to do work for anyone else. Sometimes this class of peasant farmer employed other peasants to help work his farm holding.
***obstetrix nonexaminata/ non-examined midwife: Two groups of midwives practiced in 19th Century Galicia—those who had demonstrated their knowledge and skill and had been approved/licensed and those who had not. There are numerous examples of both groups practicing in the same parish at the same time. Perhaps a good contemporary analogy would be physicians who are board certified and those who are not.

Thank you for translating and the thorough explanation! It's been suspected that the father was a relation to Antoni. That could explain DNA matches to others with this surname, that are not descendants of Wawrzyniec.
Zood

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:19 pm      Post subject: What does "emetho" mean?

I ran across some curious Latin when trying to translate this birth entry from Załęże parish for my ancestor Marianna Gumienna born in 1846 in Wola Dębowiecka (see attachment 2)

It looks like "emetho" may be an abbreviation?
It appears also with slightly different spelling on the birth record of her future husband Maciej Szudy (attachment 1)
I can't find it in Hoffman & Shea's genealogist's translation guide to Latin.

Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 1.11.17 PM.png
 Description:
Here the word also appears after his father's name: Joannes Szudy ________in Wola, and looks like it might have a symbol over the first letter.
 Filesize:  306.22 KB

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 1.11.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 1.09.52 PM.png
 Description:
Translation of birth certificate:
Entry #12
19 July 1846
House number 61 in Markuza

Marianna

?= (Roman Catholic) (girl) (legitimate)

(daughter of ) Jakub Gumienny (? Emetho)
and Franciszka, father Antoni Osika born from
midwife: Mariannia Porcryna (s
 Filesize:  108.72 KB

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 1.09.52 PM.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:22 pm      Post subject: Re: What does "emetho" mean?

Zood wrote:
I ran across some curious Latin when trying to translate this birth entry from Załęże parish for my ancestor Marianna Gumienna born in 1846 in Wola Dębowiecka (see attachment 2)

It looks like "emetho" may be an abbreviation?
It appears also with slightly different spelling on the birth record of her future husband Maciej Szudy (attachment 1)
I can't find it in Hoffman & Shea's genealogist's translation guide to Latin.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

What looks like Emetho is just plain old Cmetho. The letter which appears to be a E is just an embellishment the scribe used on his upper case C. The other example is also a question of handwriting. It is cmetho. Besides the variation in spelling as cmetho and cmeto six more spelling variations used in Poland (although pre-18th Century) come to mind. They are Gmeto, Qmetho, Qmeto, Kmeto, Chmeto, and Cametho. They all sound very similar when pronounced and show that spellings are not set in stone. Then there is cmetho with the prefix ex (with the meaning of “former”)…One of my ancestors who was born in 1725 was a cmetho for most of his working life. In his old age he and his wife turned over control of the family land to their eldest son. From that time on they appear as excmetho and excmethonissa. There are too many variations in Latin vocabulary in post Medieval Europe for any one book like Shea and Hoffman’s to include each and every variation.

I hope this answers your question.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:03 pm      Post subject: Marriage Translation

Could someone please help me with the translation of this marriage from the parish of Lubaczow? I am particularly interested in the very short legal lines at the bottom. I am wondering if this was a validation of a civil marriage previous to this record.

Thank you,

Kurt

1921-Angela Tobias & John Argasinski Marriage_Lubaczow.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.22 MB

1921-Angela Tobias & John Argasinski Marriage_Lubaczow.jpg

Zood

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:01 am      Post subject: Re: What does "emetho" mean?

Quote:
What looks like Emetho is just plain old Cmetho. The letter which appears to be a E is just an embellishment the scribe used on his upper case C.

Thanks so much for your help! I've come across hortulanus and agricola but this is the first time I've seen Cmetho.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:35 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Translation

Kurt1322 wrote:
Could someone please help me with the translation of this marriage from the parish of Lubaczow? I am particularly interested in the very short legal lines at the bottom. I am wondering if this was a validation of a civil marriage previous to this record.

Thank you,

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

This is just a normal record of a religious marriage with a slightly unusual twist. The marriage was recorded in the parish church of the bride and groom but the wedding took place in Przemysł. Also, no info is entered about the witnesses. It is definitely not a validation of a civil marriage. Although the record does not state the fact, I am confident that what transpired is that the parties were residing in Przemysł when they decided to marry. Since they were members of the parish of Lubaczów the pastor of that parish had the right to bless their marriage. Since they were to be married in a different parish the pastor in Lubaczów granted permission/delegation to the pastor in Przemysł for the wedding to take place there. The completion of the various ecclesiastical legalities required coordination/cooperation between the pastors of the two parishes. The pastor in Lubaczów announced the banns in that parish, informed the priest in Przemysł that no impediments had been discovered, sent him baptismal certificates, etc. The priest in Przemysł took care of things on his end and eventually blessed the marriage. After the wedding had taken place the pastor in Przemysł sent notification of the marriage to the pastor in Lubaczów who would have entered a notation of the marriage in the proper place in the baptismal register. He also took it upon himself to record the marriage in the marriage register of Lubaczów. This is what is recorded on page 167 of the register. In recording the marriage the pastor in Lubaczów entered info he had been sent in the notification from Przemysł as well as info found in the baptismal register of Lubaczów. The pastor in Przemysł was not required to name the witnesses in the notification he sent, which explains why no witnesses are listed in the record you posted.

The translation follows.

Dave

Title: Liber copulatorum = Marriage Register pag(ina) = page: 167

C.1: 18 (blank)
C1a: Numerus positionis = number in order: lacking
C1b: Mensis = Month: November 12
C1c: Numerus Domus = House Number: blank
C2: Sponsus = The Groom
C2a: Nomen = Name: Jan Ang(?)asinski, a judicial scribe who works for daily wages*, son of Franciszek and Maria Lmieła(?) from Lubsewów(?)
C2b: Religio = Religion
C2b1: Catholica = Catholic: Latin Rite Catholic
C2b2: Aut alia = Or another: blank
C2c: Coelebs = Bachelor: Ckecked
C2d: Viduus = Widower: blank
C2e: Aetas = Age: 26
C3: Sponsa = The Bride
C3a: Nomen = Name: Aniela Tobias, daughter of Florian and Maria Gorzelnit(?) from Lubsewów(?)
C3b1: Religio = Religion
C3b1: Catholica = Catholic: Latin Rite Catholic
C3b2: Aut alia = Or another: blank
C3c: Coelebs = Maiden: Checked
C3d: Vidua = Widow: blank
C3e: Aetas = Age: 26
C4 Testes Nomen et Conditio = Witnesses Name and Status/Condition: This column is blank

Notation at Bottom of Entry: The banns were announced in the parish church of the spouses, their (baptismal) records were seen, no impediment was detected, blessed in Przemysł.

Dates in Right Margin: These are the dates of birth or of baptism of the contracting parties. The groom: 11 August, 1895; the bride: 28 April, 1895
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 196 of 274

Jump to: