PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 197, 198, 199 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:33 pm      Post subject:

jmcenaney wrote:
Hi, Dave.

I have another one to add to your stack. It's a marriage record for Adalbert Marysiak. It's the second to last entry. No rush on this. Thank you!
Jaime

Hi Jaime,

Neither the maiden name nor her married name from her first marriage is given for the bride in the record. There is a bit of awkward redundancy in the first line where the priest uses the word “persons” followed by the adjective “industrious” and the names of the contracting spouses. For the sake of clarity and simplicity I omitted “persons” in the translation.

Here is the translation. I hope you find it helpful.

Dave

Above Entry: July
Right Margin: Rudki: 22 July (1810)
Body of Entry: After the three banns had been announced beforehand and since no canonical impediment had been discovered, I, the same, blessed the marriage between the industrious* Wojciech Marisiak, a widower, 40 years of age, a shepherd of the herd/flock** at the Priory*** and the industrious* Krystina, a widow, a cook**** from Rudki, 38 years of age in the presence of the witnesses Wojciech Frankiewicz, a tenant, and the industrious* Jan Mackowiak likewise a tenant from the village of Rudki.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe a person as a peasant
**pastor pecudum/shepherd of the hered/flock: the word pecudum can refer to a flock of sheep or to a herd of cattle.
***praepositura/of the priory: the word can also be used to describe another type of ecclesiastical property like an archdeaconry or prelacy. Without familiarity with the lay of the land at that place and time the exact meaning cannot be stated with certitude. However, it is certain that he worked at or for an ecclesiastical institution.
****coqua/(female)cook: She may have cooked for the landowner or she may have been a cook at an ecclesiastical institution.
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:06 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I have these records for translation please.

Katarzyna Lawinski - Death record - last record in July.
Walenty Kordylas - marriage record - Record 10 sits between record 11 & record 12.
Grzegorz Sobolewski - Death record - this appears to be register - it is record 47 on the right hand page.

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Kindly post the links to the records which you posted so that it would be possible to increase the size of the text. Two of the three are too small to be legible as the images are currently attached. Also, since Koło is a town some of the places most likely have become part of the town so it would be helpful if you could inform me of the names of the villages where the individuals lived.

Thanks.

Dave

Sorry Dave - can't send links as I obtained these from the FamilySearch Library. Not sure if you needed to see the whole page, so erred on the side of caution - perhaps I should have sent both the whole page and an enhancement.

In regards to the Koło side of the Family - Szmajda came from Blizna and Sobolewski as far as I can tell came from Nagórna both small villages now incorporated into Koło. There are streets with the village names and I presume that this is roughly where they were located - see map attached. Kordylas actually comes from Karsy village near Kalisz, and Lawinski from Kościelec also near Kalisz.

I've increased the size of the previous attachments.

Koło (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.83 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Koło (2).jpg

Death Register Grzegorz Sobolewski - 1792 record 47 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.05 KB

Death Register Grzegorz Sobolewski - 1792 record 47 (4).jpg

Marriage Walenty Kordylas - record 10 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.53 KB

Marriage Walenty Kordylas - record 10 (4).jpg

Death Katarzyna Lawinski - July 1796 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.88 KB

Death Katarzyna Lawinski - July 1796 (4).jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:29 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Walenty Kordylas - marriage record - Record 10 sits between record 11 & record 12.
Grzegorz Sobolewski - Death record - this appears to be register - it is record 47 on the right hand page.

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Kindly post the links to the records which you posted so that it would be possible to increase the size of the text. Two of the three are too small to be legible as the images are currently attached. Also, since Koło is a town some of the places most likely have become part of the town so it would be helpful if you could inform me of the names of the villages where the individuals lived.

Thanks.

Dave

Sorry Dave - can't send links as I obtained these from the FamilySearch Library. Not sure if you needed to see the whole page, so erred on the side of caution - perhaps I should have sent both the whole page and an enhancement.

In regards to the Koło side of the Family - Szmajda came from Blizna and Sobolewski as far as I can tell came from Nagórna both small villages now incorporated into Koło. There are streets with the village names and I presume that this is roughly where they were located - see map attached. Kordylas actually comes from Karsy village near Kalisz, and Lawinski from Kościelec also near Kalisz.

Hi Ted and Dave,
If you'd like to see a map of Kolo that shows both Blizna and Nagorna, here is a good one:
https://polona.pl/item/c-33-kolo,MTEwMTU4OTQx/0/#info:metadata
Best regards,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

Sophia wrote:
TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Ted and Dave,
If you'd like to see a map of Kolo that shows both Blizna and Nagorna, here is a good one:
Best regards,
Sophia

Hi Ted & Sophia,

Ted, Thanks for re-posting the images. It made it easier to see the letters. Whether to crop and enhance or to post the entire image is a two edged sword. The crop increases the size of the text which makes it easier to read. On the other hand, the entire page provides examples of how various letters were formed by the writer which can help to determine letters when there is doubt but if the letters are too small to see clearly that benefit gets negated. When in doubt I would prefer the crop.

It does make things a bit more difficult when films have the restriction that the images must be viewed at a Family History Center or affiliated library. From what volunteers at the History Centers have told me, access to the images is determined by the original contract between the archive and and the LDS Church. Perhaps someday the terms of the contract will be revisited to update it in accord with the current world of digital images. The original contract was for the images to be preserved on microfilm which obviously presumed access to a microfilm reader. Oh well, it is still much more convenient than having to travel to the archive which holds the physical copies of the records. Minor inconveniences are a small trade off for access to the records.

Sophia, Another good map resource for the Wielkopolskie and Kujawy areas is the 1803 David Gilly Map of South Prussia: https://www.sggee.org/research/gilly_maps/south_prussia_map.html It is especially valuable when one wants to find places as they were during the late 18th and very early 19th Centuries.

Here follow the translations.

Dave

Death & Burial record of Katarzyna Lawinska

Left margin: 29th (of July)
Right Margin: (I am unable to determine the letters of the place name.)
Body of Entry: The renowned* Katarzyna née Banck, commonly known as Lawinska, a resident of Kalisz, about 80 years of age, an old person, a widow, died at 11 AM on the 29th day of July, of the disease of old age without the use of medical services, after having been fortified with the Sacraments of the Church** whose body was buried on the 31st day of the same month in the cemetery at the back of the parish church of the Canons Regular.

Notes: *famata/renowned: adjective used to describe a middle class craftsperson.
**Sacraments of the Church: Penance, Communion under the form of Viaticum, and Extreme Unction, collectively known as The Last Rites.

Burial of Grzegorz Soboleski
Left Margin: #47
Right Margin: Nagorna Wieś
On the 4th day of October (1792) the industrious* Grzegorz Soboleski, more than 50 years of age, fortified with the Sacraments**, died (&) was buried in the cemetery.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant.
Sacramentis/with the Sacraments: Penance, Communion under the form of Viaticum, and Extreme Unction, collectively known as The Last Rites.

Marriage of Walenty Kordylas & Antonina Wesołowska

Left Margin: #10
Body of Entry: Dembsko: On the 3rd day of February 1889 after everything had been observed according to ecclesiastical and civil law I blessed the marriage in the presence of the congregation between Walenty Kordylas, a widower, 60 years of age, the son of Ludwik & Zofia née Girilka(?) and between Antonina Wesołowska, a maiden, 37 years of age, the daughter of Walenty and Anna née Szokowska in the presence of Adam Jasinski and Antoni Wieczorek, both from Dembsko.
TedMack

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:49 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
Sophia wrote:
TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Ted and Dave,
Best regards,
Sophia

Hi Ted & Sophia,

Ted, Thanks for re-posting the images. It made it easier to see the letters. Whether to crop and enhance or to post the entire image is a two edged sword. The crop increases the size of the text which makes it easier to read. On the other hand, the entire page provides examples of how various letters were formed by the writer which can help to determine letters when there is doubt but if the letters are too small to see clearly that benefit gets negated. When in doubt I would prefer the crop.

It does make things a bit more difficult when films have the restriction that the images must be viewed at a Family History Center or affiliated library. From what volunteers at the History Centers have told me, access to the images is determined by the original contract between the archive and and the LDS Church. Perhaps someday the terms of the contract will be revisited to update it in accord with the current world of digital images. The original contract was for the images to be preserved on microfilm which obviously presumed access to a microfilm reader. Oh well, it is still much more convenient than having to travel to the archive which holds the physical copies of the records. Minor inconveniences are a small trade off for access to the records.

Sophia, Another good map resource for the Wielkopolskie and Kujawy areas is the 1803 David Gilly Map of South Prussia: https://www.sggee.org/research/gilly_maps/south_prussia_map.html It is especially valuable when one wants to find places as they were during the late 18th and very early 19th Centuries.

Here follow the translations.

Dave

Death & Burial record of Katarzyna Lawinska

Left margin: 29th (of July)
Right Margin: (I am unable to determine the letters of the place name.)
Body of Entry: The renowned* Katarzyna née Banck, commonly known as Lawinska, a resident of Kalisz, about 80 years of age, an old person, a widow, died at 11 AM on the 29th day of July, of the disease of old age without the use of medical services, after having been fortified with the Sacraments of the Church** whose body was buried on the 31st day of the same month in the cemetery at the back of the parish church of the Canons Regular.

Notes: *famata/renowned: adjective used to describe a middle class craftsperson.
**Sacraments of the Church: Penance, Communion under the form of Viaticum, and Extreme Unction, collectively known as The Last Rites.

Burial of Grzegorz Soboleski
Left Margin: #47
Right Margin: Nagorna Wieś
On the 4th day of October (1792) the industrious* Grzegorz Soboleski, more than 50 years of age, fortified with the Sacraments**, died (&) was buried in the cemetery.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant.
Sacramentis/with the Sacraments: Penance, Communion under the form of Viaticum, and Extreme Unction, collectively known as The Last Rites.

Marriage of Walenty Kordylas & Antonina Wesołowska

Left Margin: #10
Body of Entry: Dembsko: On the 3rd day of February 1889 after everything had been observed according to ecclesiastical and civil law I blessed the marriage in the presence of the congregation between Walenty Kordylas, a widower, 60 years of age, the son of Ludwik & Zofia née Girilka(?) and between Antonina Wesołowska, a maiden, 37 years of age, the daughter of Walenty and Anna née Szokowska in the presence of Adam Jasinski and Antoni Wieczorek, both from Dembsko.

G'day Dave

Thanks so much for the translations, if I find more records for translation I'll consider if I should send two options - full page and cropped for ease of reading. And yes it is easier to travel up the road a few km rather than half way across the globe only to find out you are looking in the wrong parish.

Ted
TedMack

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

Sophia wrote:
TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Ted and Dave,
Best regards,
Sophia

Thanks Sophia
TedMack

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:56 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
Sophia wrote:
TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Thanks.

Dave

Hi Ted and Dave,
Best regards,
Sophia

Thanks Sophia

G'day Spohia

While in Kiełczew Smużny a couple of years ago I took a photo of this map in the local parish church without realizing what it represented. Upon embarking on research into my family history I found it most helpful in determining which parishes to look in for documents. Unfortunately I didn't see one in the local parish church in Piątek Mały so I don't have one for the Kalisz area. We live and learn.

Thought this map may be helpful for anyone interested.

Cheers

Ted

KOLO Parishes (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  642.16 KB

KOLO Parishes (2).jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:

G'day Spohia

While in Kiełczew Smużny a couple of years ago I took a photo of this map in the local parish church without realizing what it represented. Upon embarking on research into my family history I found it most helpful in determining which parishes to look in for documents. Unfortunately I didn't see one in the local parish church in Piątek Mały so I don't have one for the Kalisz area. We live and learn.

Thought this map may be helpful for anyone interested.

Cheers

Ted

Hi Ted,
That's a very helpful map. I wonder if it is part of a set, covering a larger geographical area, or whether it was more of a local effort. So fortunate that you were inspired to take a photo of it.
All the best in your continued research,
Sophia
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:19 pm      Post subject: Detail About Father

I would appreciate if someone could assist me with any details that may be contained in the fathers' section of this Baptism record from the Parish of Warez. If there is anything in the section of the God-Parents then I would love that as well.

Thank you Very Much,

Kurt

PS: I know that the surname is Dobiasz in this record but it becomes Tobiasz in later records which I why it is labeled as such.

1810-Catharina Tobiasz BC_Warez.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  378.45 KB

1810-Catharina Tobiasz BC_Warez.jpg

Spencer

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:35 pm      Post subject: Baptism Record

I'm anxious to get help with the transcription and translation of this important record. Thank you so much for your help. Spencer[/img]

Baptism Record 1729.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.99 KB

Baptism Record 1729.jpg

Kurt1322

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:12 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptism Record

Spencer wrote:
I'm anxious to get help with the transcription and translation of this important record. Thank you so much for your help. Spencer[/img]

This is not "official," I'll let the more seasoned vets give the better answer, but it looks to me like it say

In the year 1729
Day 7 of January
Infant named Paulum
Son of Blasy & Marianna Fuson of the village of Boronow?
Godfather was Joannes Neuman of Polna?

That was me just trying to help,

Kurt
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 pm      Post subject: Re: Detail About Father

Kurt1322 wrote:
I would appreciate if someone could assist me with any details that may be contained in the fathers' section of this Baptism record from the Parish of Warez. If there is anything in the section of the God-Parents then I would love that as well.

Thank you Very Much,

Kurt

PS: I know that the surname is Dobiasz in this record but it becomes Tobiasz in later records which I why it is labeled as such.

Hi Kurt,

The column about the father does not contain information which was not found in the earlier records you posted. The main difference is that the priest uses vocabulary which, while it conveys the same information, differs from the vocabulary foound in later records. The difference in the spelling of his surname is understandable given that priest wrote what he heard and unless the person providing the info has clear diction,the initial consonants d & t can be easily confused. Both letters are Mutes and are classified as Dentals (Linguals) and can be confused when not clearly ennunciated. Here is the text of the father’s entry: “Samuel Dobiasz (Tobiasz), a guard of the watch of the imperial vault/chamber* of Waręż.” That is the sum total of what is found in the father’s column.

Note* The word used—camera—is an interesting choice. It is more generic than the words found in the later records where the place was described as a customs/tax office. It is more interesting in that in Classical Latin it often meant “room”. Back when I taught Latin camera was a word we used with stick figures to exemplify the cases (Accusative and Ablative) which were governed by various prepositions. The word without any modification in spelling is our English word camera. (It is just one of the 65% of our English words which are derived from Latin.) Early cameras were like a room where a lens served like a front window which allowed an image to be transferred on to a plate at the back of the camera. When developed the negative image became what we know as a photograph—an English word which is one the 10% of English words derived from Classical Greek. It is a compound which forms a good description of what a photograph is. The word is actually a compound of two Greek words, photos (light) and graphia (writing) and aptly describes what happens in a camera. The camera uses light to “write” an image. But enough of the pitch for the value of knowing the Classical languages of Latin & Greek.

Here is what is recorded in the sponsors column: Jan Galewski, Franciszka Jablonska, Andrzej Ku???? ????iczowa
In the final column: Nobles*

Notes: *Nobilis/noble: used to describe a member of the gentry (szlachta) who was the onwer or leaseholder of a parcel of land.
Although only one sponsor was required for baptism, tradition dictated that there be two, a male & a female, who were commly referred to as “godparents”. This pair made up the two official sponsors but sometimes—especially when the gentry was involved—an extra pair attended the baptism. Although they were not the official sponsors, they had an honorary role and often were described as “assisting”. This would seem to be the case here.Although the father was not szlachta (gentry) his work as a guard/watchman at the customs house put him into contact with members of the szlachta and he would have considered it a honor to have members of the gentry act as sponsors for his daughter.

I hope this helps you, alothough I don’t see much info here to advance your research.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptism Record

Spencer wrote:

Hi Spencer,

The transcrition of the Latin text will be followed by the translation. In the translation I will render the given names of individuals into their Polish form followed by the English form of the name.

It seems that a line is missing from the crop since the word patrini/sponsors is plural and the record ends with the name of the male sponsor. Since traditionally there was also a female sponsor it appears that her name has been cut off in the cropped image.

Transcription: Anno 1729
Die 7ma (=septima) Januarij baptizavi infantem nomine Paulum filium Blasij et Mariannae Fuson de villa Boronow. Patrini fuere Joannes Neüman de Dolna

Translation: In the year 1729
on the 7th day of January I baptized an infant by the name of Paweł/Paul, the son of Błażej/Blaise and of Maryanna/Maryanne Fuson from the village of Boronów. The sponsors were Jan/John Neüman from Dolna

If you have the final line of the record and post it, I will ammend the transcription and the translation.

I hope this helps you.

Dave
Kurt1322

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:32 am      Post subject: Cause of Death?

Could someone please assist me with the cause of death for my 5xGGF? The best I can come up with is that it says "half German" I would appreciate it if someone could assist me.

Thank you,

Kurt

1840-Joannes Rusakiewicz DC_Przystanie-Mosty Wielkie.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  662.21 KB

1840-Joannes Rusakiewicz DC_Przystanie-Mosty Wielkie.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:35 pm      Post subject: Re: Cause of Death?

Kurt1322 wrote:
Could someone please assist me with the cause of death for my 5xGGF? The best I can come up with is that it says "half German" I would appreciate it if someone could assist me.

Thank you,

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

The cause of death as it appears in the record is “marasmus senilis” “weakness due to old age” which was a progressive atrophy/weakness of the body due to old age.

I’m not certain whether the term is still used in medicime or whether it is considered archaic A good list of 19th Century causes of death is Rudy’s List of Archaic Medical Terms. The list was available online for quite a few years but them vanished. What happened was that the list was expanded and the site was changed. A PDF version can be found at https://docplayer.net/103233917-Rudy-s-list-of-archaic-medical-terms.html According to Norton antivirus security the download is safe, but should one be in doubt regarding the safety of the download it can be used on the above site without downloading the PDF. For anyone who used the old site the changes to the list are obvious. The old list gave Latin medical terms with their English translation. The new list includes languages other than Latin. (A rather short Polish list is included.) To access the Latin list one just needs to scroll down through the various languages. The Latin list is found on pages 172-175. Only marasmus appears on the list. To determine the meaning of the cause of death as it appears in the record it is necessary to combine marasmus with the adjective senilis. A description and explanation of the disease can be found on page 113 in the English List under “Senile Atrophy”.

I hope this answers your question.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 197, 198, 199 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 198 of 274

Jump to: