PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214  Next
Author

Replies: 83

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:40 pm      Post subject:

Dave, thank you so much for the information regarding the death of Marianna Dabrowski. I will be going over the records for this parish again looking for the death of her husband, Pawel Dabrowski, and the birth of her daughter, Dorota.
Katherine
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2296

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:13 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation from Latin to English marriage record

galicia seeker wrote:

Thanks for the speedy reply Dave and I hope that your harvest was bountiful!

I have attached another screen shot of the marriage record for Onufrius Fedun and would appreciate knowing what the priest's comments were at the bottom. The wording seems unique and I have not seen it on other marriage records in this era.

I am always looking for clues. My research into my family history in Biale Przemyslany has shown that we were not related to any of the Feduns in that village until my gr grandfather Onufrius got married in 1868. The Feduns that lived in the village seemed to suddenly appear en masse as a family in 1836 with no previous ties to anyone else in this village but appeared to have a close relationship with a nobleman who also appears in records at the same time.

Then Onufrius shows up to be married from a village a fair distance away which was unusual in itself. The history of marriages in this village indicates that folks either married someone in the village or sometimes someone from a village a few km away but never from Dobryniow. On Onufrius' baptism record in Dubryniow, his father is noted as Timotheus whilst on his marriage record it is Thomas Fedun - one of the unrelated Feduns in the village.

This is a mystery that I will never be able to solve. Family lore has it that our branch took a few twists and turns but anyone with more information is long gone!

Thank you so much for your valued insights I have learned so much!

Gail

Hi Gail,

The legal housekeeping notation does confirm that the groom was born in Dobryniów. At the time of the wedding he was living in house #56 in Dobryniów. His father was deceased so he probably was living with his mother and perhaps his step father. Since the bride did not bring along a birth certificate she was probably born in Białe. Her father was deceased and yes she was living in Białe in house #44 at the time of the wedding. The thing about the legal housekeeping notation is that it provides dates and numbers of various documents brought along prior to the wedding but, as far as I know, those docs are not housed in archives in Poland. Thus my opinion that beyond an occasional tidbit of useful info the housekeeping notations have very little to add to the search.

The template I used for the fill in the blanks translation does not match the entries in your record, but it is close enough to be used. (I came up with a number of templates to reduce the amount of repetitive typing involved in the translation process.) I can’t read the letters in two of the names. Perhaps you will have better luck with your copy of the record. Finally, I translated the given names from the Latin version into both the Polish and the English versions of the names. I doubt that the individuals were even aware that their names had a Latin version. I’m attaching a list of Latin given names with their Polish and English versions. The list is certainly not exhaustive but I compiled it from names I’ve seen in Latin records. Perhaps you may find it useful.

The translation follows.

I wish you continued successful researching.

Dave

C1a: Numerus positionis = number in order: 7
C1b: Mensis = Month: 1 November, 1868
C1c: Numerus Domus = House Number: 107
C2: Sponsus = The Groom
C2a: Nomen = Name: The industrious* Onufry (Polish)/Humphrey (English) Feduń, the legitimate son of the late Tomasz and Eudoksja (Polish)/Eudocia (English & Latin) née Ormufryk(?) farmers from Dobryniów Number 56 and residing in the same place, a bachelor of the Greek Catholic religion
C2b: Religio = Religion
C2b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
C2b2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
C2bc: Aetas = Age: 29
C2d: Coelebs = Bachelor: Checked
C2e: Viduus = Widower: Blank
C3: Sponsa = The Bride:
C3a: Nomen = Name: The industrious* Eudoksja (Polish)/Eudocia (English & Latin), legitimate daughter of the late Mikołaj (Polish)/Nicholas (English) Ba...(I can’t be sure of the remaining letters) and (I can’t read the letters of her mother’s given name) Kowal, farmers from Białe Number 44, residing in the same place, a maiden of the Greek Catholic religion
C3b1: Religio = Religion
C3b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
C3b2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
C3c: Aetas = Age: 17
C3d: Coelebs = Maiden: Checked
C3e: Vidua = Widow: Blank
C4 Testes Nomen et Conditio = Witnesses Name and Status/Condition: Jan Burak, a farmer from Białe (&) Anton Kowas from Hratyn(?)

Notation: The underage bride presented a license from the minors and orphans court* in Przemyslany dated 19 October 1868 Number 3864 and the groom produced a certificate from Dobryniów given on 1 November 1868 Number 43 and a birth certificate from Dobryniów given on 30 October 1868 Number 42. The spouses and the witnesses signed with their mark by making the sign of the Holy Cross (i.e. +). Signature of the parish priest, chaplain.

Note: *instantia pupillaris/orphans court oversaw matters relating to minors and orphans.

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.62 KB
 Downloaded:  29 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin birth record, Borek Stary 1882

JohnKP wrote:
Kindly requesting a translation of my great grandfather's birth record from Borek Stary. His name is Jozef (Josephus) and is the second record from the bottom on the right side of the page.

Hi JohnKP,

Here follows the translation of the birth & baptism record. I hope you find it helpful.

Dave

Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: 34

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: July, 1882

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 27 July

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 30 July

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 191

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Józef

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Blank

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Jan Krztoń, a gardener*, the son of the legitimate marriage of Wojciech Krztoń and Katarzyna born of Jakub Długosz, farmers
Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Waleria Krajewska, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of Wojciech Krajewski and Domicela born of Ignacy Lochański, farmers

Col. 8: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Wojciech Kalicki, a gardener* from Borek Stary; Zofia, the wife of Wojciech Krajewski, gardeners* from Borek]

Notations in Cols. 1-3: The one baptizing and the sponsors signed. Edward Kolecki, pastor in Borek
Notation in Cols. 4=6a: The midwife was Zofia Kalicka, not examined**

Notes: *hortulanus/gardener: a person who owned his cottage and enough land for a garden and perhaps for some animals but not for farm fields.
**Obstetrix non examinata/ a not examined midwife: Some midwives had passed an examination in which they had demonstrated their knowledge and skills and thus were licensed. However, there were also practicing midwives who had not been examined. Both types practiced in 19th Century Galicia.
JohnKP

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:59 am      Post subject: Re: Latin birth record, Borek Stary 1882

Dave,
Thank you so much for the info. We're excited to have these new facts, in particular the names of an additional generation.

One quick question, columns 7a and 7b list the newborn's grandparents and mentions "Wojciech Krztoń and Katarzyna born of Jakub Długosz". Is Jakub Długosz the father of Katarzyna?

I just found the marriage record for Jan and Waleria and will be posting that soon.

dnowicki wrote:
JohnKP wrote:
Kindly requesting a of my great grandfather's birth record from Borek Stary. His name is Jozef (Josephus) and is the second record from the bottom on the right side of the page.

Hi JohnKP,

Here follows the translation of the birth & baptism record. I hope you find it helpful.

Dave

Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Jan Krztoń, a gardener*, the son of the legitimate marriage of Wojciech Krztoń and Katarzyna born of Jakub Długosz, farmers
Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Waleria Krajewska, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of Wojciech Krajewski and Domicela born of Ignacy Lochański, farmers

Col. 8: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Wojciech Kalicki, a gardener* from Borek Stary; Zofia, the wife of Wojciech Krajewski, gardeners* from Borek]

Notations in Cols. 1-3: The one baptizing and the sponsors signed. Edward Kolecki, pastor in Borek

Notes: *hortulanus/gardener: a person who owned his cottage and enough land for a garden and perhaps for some animals but not for farm fields.
**Obstetrix non examinata/ a not examined midwife: Some midwives had passed an examination in which they had demonstrated their knowledge and skills and thus were licensed. However, there were also practicing midwives who had not been examined. Both types practiced in 19th Century Galicia.
khill1881

Replies: 83

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:56 am      Post subject: Marianna Homa Lubinski

One more in which I need help with a few words.
Record #100 in Stare Polaszki, 15th November 1855, death record of Marianna Lubinski nee Homa, survived by 4 adult children.
I can't figure out the word after 15th and the words between Marianna and Johann.
As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Marianna Homa Lubinski d. 11-15-1855.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1004.33 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Marianna Homa Lubinski d. 11-15-1855.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:05 am      Post subject: Re: Help With Latin Record

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
Could I please get this death record translated (circled on the attached photo)? Thank you!

Hi Richard,

Here follows the translation of the death & burial of Wojciech Staliński.

Dave

Left Margin: Wojciech Staliński, a pauper
Body of Entry: Nowawieś: In the Year of Our Lord 1830 on the 17th day of the month of December the industrious* Wojciech Staliński, a day laborer, a married man, 50 years of age, died of an unknown illness without property, who on the 19th of the current month (2 illegible abbreviated words). He left behind his wife Teresa from home** Puchoska and 5 children, all not of legal age, no means of subsistence, his wife gave notice***.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe a person as a peasant.
**de domo/from home and the Polish z domu/from home refer to a woman’s birth home/family. A frequently used English convention is née, which precedes a woman’s maiden name.
***his wife was the informant who provided the information found in the entry.

Last edited by dnowicki on Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:07 am      Post subject: Re: Latin birth record, Borek Stary 1882

JohnKP wrote:
Dave,
Thank you so much for the info. We're excited to have these new facts, in particular the names of an additional generation.

One quick question, columns 7a and 7b list the newborn's grandparents and mentions "Wojciech Krztoń and Katarzyna born of Jakub Długosz". Is Jakub Długosz the father of Katarzyna?

I just found the marriage record for Jan and Waleria and will be posting that soon.

dnowicki wrote:
JohnKP wrote:
Kindly requesting a of my great grandfather's birth record from Borek Stary. His name is Jozef (Josephus) and is the second record from the bottom on the right side of the page.

Hi JohnKP,

Dave

Hi John,

Yes, Jakub Długosz is the father of Katarzyna and Ignacy Lochański is the father of Domicela.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:10 am      Post subject: Re: Marianna Homa Lubinski

khill1881 wrote:
One more in which I need help with a few words.
Record #100 in Stare Polaszki, 15th November 1855, death record of Marianna Lubinski nee Homa, survived by 4 adult children.
I can't figure out the word after 15th and the words between Marianna and Johann.
As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

The record is in German. If you post it in the German translation thread Michael will be able to answer your questions.

Sorry that I can't help with these questions.

Dave
JohnKP

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:24 pm      Post subject: Latin marriage record, Borek Stary 1880

Requesting a translation of the marriage record of Jan Krztoń and Waleria Krajewska. Their entry is on the bottom half of the left page.

A few days ago I requested a translation of the birth/baptism record of Jozef Krzton, the child of Jan and Waleria. Dave replied to this request on Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:52 pm. I assume that this marriage record likely repeats some of the facts of Jan and Waleria's life contained in the birth record.

Krzton Marriage record 1880.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.21 MB

Krzton Marriage record 1880.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:59 am      Post subject: Re: Latin marriage record, Borek Stary 1880

JohnKP wrote:
Requesting a translation of the marriage record of Jan Krztoń and Waleria Krajewska. Their entry is on the bottom half of the left page.

A few days ago I requested a translation of the birth/baptism record of Jozef Krzton, the child of Jan and Waleria. Dave replied to this request on Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:52 pm. I assume that this marriage record likely repeats some of the facts of Jan and Waleria's life contained in the birth record.

John,

If you would kindly post the link to the marriage record it would be helpful since that would allow for the enlargement of the text thereby making the handwriting easier to read and thus making it easier on the old eyes. Thanks.

Dave
JohnKP

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:22 am      Post subject: Re: Latin marriage record, Borek Stary 1880

dnowicki wrote:
JohnKP wrote:

John,

If you would kindly post the link to the marriage record it would be helpful since that would allow for the enlargement of the text thereby making the handwriting easier to read and thus making it easier on the old eyes. Thanks.

Dave

Dave,
I've also attached 2 cropped images of the record, which may make it easier to read.

Here is a link to the series of scans for the entire record. The scan that I am interested in is scan 72 of 78, the 7th from last scan. Bottom of the left page. There is a zoom tool at the bottom of the page.
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/19882035?_Jednostka_delta=20&_Jednostka_resetCur=false&_Jednostka_cur=4

I hope that one of these methods works for you.

Krzton Marriage record 1880 cropped_bottom.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.21 KB

Krzton Marriage record 1880 cropped_bottom.jpg

Krzton Marriage record 1880 cropped_top.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.9 KB

Krzton Marriage record 1880 cropped_top.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:38 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin marriage record, Borek Stary 1880

JohnKP wrote:

Dave,
I've also attached 2 cropped images of the record, which may make it easier to read.

Here is a link to the series of scans for the entire record. The scan that I am interested in is scan 72 of 78, the 7th from last scan. Bottom of the left page. There is a zoom tool at the bottom of the page.
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/19882035?_Jednostka_delta=20&_Jednostka_resetCur=false&_Jednostka_cur=4

I hope that one of these methods works for you.

John,

Thanks for the link. It does make it easier and faster to read the text—especially the spelling of surnames.

As you said, much of the info repeats what is found in the baptism record. However, what is new and valuable for your further research are the ages of the bride and the groom and the place of birth which provide a time frame & location to search for their birth & baptism records. The notations in sentence format are legal housekeeping—stating that the legalities had been observed. Records from Galicia are civil transcripts of the parish registers. The Austrian government had parish priests act as civil registrars and dictated the format and content of the records as well as the civil rules to be followed. This blurred the distinction between Roman Catholic Sacramental records and Austrian civil vital stats. Prior to the 1st Partition of Poland in 1772 parish priests were obligated to keep Sacramental records but the RC Church did not dictate a specific format in which the records were to be kept. The most common format used was what is known as the short paragraph style. By 1774 the Austrian government imposed the columnar format and specified elements of the content. I mention this because of what is recorded in the notations at the end of the marriage record. You’ll notice that the bride was considered underage at the age of 21. (The bride in the record prior entry on the page was also considered underage at the age of 23.) This was a civil consideration. Both before 1880 and until 1917 the canonical age at which a woman could validly marry was 14 and the age for a man was 16, provided that the state allowed marriage at those ages. The first statement in the notations (the consent of the father of the bride) was recorded in Polish and purports to be a statement of the father. The form in which the consent is recorded is a legal fiction. The father of the bride certainly was asked to give his consent but he probably did not express it in the words recorded. (The same sentence appears in most records throughout Galicia.) Every time I translate a marriage record from Galicia I wonder how old a bride had to be in order to not be considered underage. If my ancestors were from Galicia, which they were not, (They were from Kujawsko-Pomorskie and Wielkopolskie.) I would want to find out that info in order to better understand their life in Europe. The impediments mentioned included both civil and canonical impediments.

If you are not able to find earlier marriage and birth & baptism records online there are several other options to locate them. Probably the easiest is to use Family Search. Here is the link to the Family Search catalog for Borek Stary: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=69743&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Poland%2C%20Rzesz%C3%B3w%2C%20Rzesz%C3%B3w%2C%20Borek%20Stary%22&subjectsOpen=358701-50 You’ll notice that there are 3 listings of records for Borek. The 1st and the 3rd are of records filmed at the Polish National Archive in Rzeszów but the 2nd is of records filmed at the Archive in Warsaw. These records have been digitized and are online but with the restriction that they must be viewed at a Family History Center, which is not super convenient but not horribly inconvenient either.

Attached is a map of the districts of Galicia from the early 20th Century.

The translation of the marriage record follows.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Marriage Record:

C1a: Series = number in order: 10
C1b: 1880 Dies et Mensis = 1880 Day & Month: Married on the 18th day of November
C1c: Numerus Domus = House Number: From the house of the bride #191 to the house of the groom #35
C2: Sponsus = The Groom
C2a: Nomen = Name: Jan Krztoń, a gardener*, the son of the legitimate marriage of Wojciech Krztoń and of Katarzyna born of Jakub Długosz, farmers, born and residing in Borek Stary in the District of Rzeszów
C2b: Religio = Religion
C2b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
C2b2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
C2bc: Aetas = Age: 29
C2d: Coelebs = Bachelor: Checked
C2e: Viduus = Widower: Blank
C3: Sponsa = The Bride
C3a: Nomen = Name: Waleria** Krajewska, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of Wojciech Krajewski and of Domicela born of Ignacy Lochański, farmers, born and residing in Borek Stary in the District of Rzeszów
C3b1: Religio = Religion
C3b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
C3b2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
C3c: Aetas = Age: 21
C3d: Coelebs = Maiden: Checked
C3e: Vidua = Widow: Blank
C4 Testes = Witnesses
C4a: Nomina = Names: Wojciech Hułon; Roch Rabczak
C4b: Conditio = Status/Condition/Occupation: Gardeners* from Stary Borek

Notations: I, as (her) father give consent to my underage daughter Waleria** Krajewska to enter the bonds of marriage with Jan Krztoń and in evidence of which in the presence of witnesses I sign with the mark of the Holy Cross. Wojciech Krajewski, father; witnesses Roch Rabczak and Wojciech Hułon, farmers from Stary Borek.
The three proclamations of the banns were announced in the parish filial church of Borek on the 21st , 22nd and 23rd Sundays after Pentecost, that is on 10, 17, & 21 October 1880 and since no impediment was detected Edward Kolecki, pastor in Borek, blessed this marriage and signed for the illiterate witnesses.

Note: *hortulanus/gardener: a person who had his own cottage and sufficient land for a garden and perhaps to raise some animals but not for farm fields.
**Waleria: The 19th Century Polish spelling was Walerya.

Galicia Administrative Districts 1910.svg.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.62 KB

Galicia Administrative Districts 1910.svg.png

treich

Replies: 147

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:42 pm      Post subject: Translation

I am struggling to transcribe this record. Please translate the attached baptism record. Thanks

baptism.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  255.88 KB

baptism.jpg

smorgan234

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:33 pm      Post subject: Helena Manka Record Translation

Hello - I have two records I would appreciate if someone would be able to translate for me. One is for Helena Manka and the second is for Eugenja Manka. I will submit Eugenja's in my next post.
Thank you so much for your help.
Sandy

translate - helena manka - death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  570.18 KB

translate - helena manka - death.jpg

smorgan234

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:34 pm      Post subject: Eugenja Manka Record Translation

Hello - I have two records I would appreciate if someone would be able to translate for me. One is for Helena Manka (already submitted) and the second is for Eugenja Manka. This record is for Eugenja Manka.
Thank you so much for your help.
Sandy

translate - eugenja manka - death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  413.74 KB

translate - eugenja manka - death.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214  Next Page 211 of 214

Jump to: