PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation

treich wrote:
I am struggling to transcribe this record. Please translate the attached baptism record. Thanks

Hi,

Here follows the translation of the 1777 birth & baptism record.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

#50 Kazmirzewo
In the year 1777 on the 23rd day of August, I, the same, baptized an infant born on the 20th of the same month of the legitimate Non-Catholic marital union of the industrious1 parents Jakub and Maryanna Treychl to whom I gave the name Krystian. The sponsors2 were the industrious1 Jan Terychel and Katarzyna ???opacka, both from Kazmirzewo.

Notes: 1 laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to denote an individual as a peasant.
2patrnini/sponsors: commonly known as godparents.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Helena Manka Record Translation

smorgan234 wrote:
Hello - I have two records I would appreciate if someone would be able to translate for me. One is for Helena Manka and the second is for Eugenja Manka. I will submit Eugenja's in my next post.
Thank you so much for your help.
Sandy

Hi Sandy,

This record is in Russian. If you post it in the Russian Records Translations thread Marcel Proust will translate it for you.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:30 pm      Post subject: Re: Eugenja Manka Record Translation

smorgan234 wrote:
Hello - I have two records I would appreciate if someone would be able to translate for me. One is for Helena Manka (already submitted) and the second is for Eugenja Manka. This record is for Eugenja Manka.
Thank you so much for your help.
Sandy

Hi Sandy,

This record is in Polish. If you post it in the Polish Records Translations thread Marcel Proust will translate it for you.

With best wishes,

Dave
smorgan234

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:26 am      Post subject:

Thank you, Dave. I have reposted separately on the Polish and Russian translation page.
Have a great day!
Sandy
Peterjoliver

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:56 pm      Post subject: Latin translation

Entry #6 on the top right is my 5th great grandfather. Some of the latin text is throwing me, some of the grammer and relationships odd. If I'm reading it right it looks like his former inlaws are involved with the voching of the Bann in Gora. Help please?

record-image_.jpg
 Description:
Looking at #6 on top right
 Filesize:  652.33 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

record-image_.jpg

herb43

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:21 am      Post subject: Valentinus Jakuboski and Francisca Gierszewska

Please Translate completely:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSMZ-B7W3-S?i=288&cat=736853
Marriage record #8, Valentinus Jakuboski and Francisca Gierszewska

Thank you,
herb43
herb43

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:05 am      Post subject: Latin Marriage Record

Thank you,
herb43
Peterjoliver

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:55 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Marriage Record

herb43 wrote:

Thank you,
herb43

Just remember not every one has access to the family search database...
FYI
The Pozen marriage project ( http://poznan-project.psnc.pl/ )has a quick and dirty transcription of the marriage:
Catholic parish Mogilno
entry 9 / 1861

Valentinus Jakuboski (32 years old) 100%
father: Thomas Jakuboski , mother: Aemilia Tesławska? lub Tosławska
Francisca Gierszewska (35 years old)
father: Jacobus Gierszewski , mother: Alketara? Guntkowska? lub Gientkowska

You might want to pull the images for the Mogilno church book to verify

As for the record my latin is a little rough hence why I've posted a question. This is using the tabular format common in the mid-late 19th century
I'd read this at 11 march 1861
marriage preformed by the Ladeslais straijakwski
groom Valentinus Jauboski young man from wizedzum
bride Franscia Gierzweska from dezbro
Both together free
Groom 32 years old
Bride 35 years old
catholic
no parent consent
Winesses
Ladeslaw ..
annotation: Dezbno
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin translation

Peterjoliver wrote:
Entry #6 on the top right is my 5th great grandfather. Some of the latin text is throwing me, some of the grammer and relationships odd. If I'm reading it right it looks like his former inlaws are involved with the voching of the Bann in Gora. Help please?

Hi Peter,

The banns were announced in the parish of Góra and the pastor of the parish blessed the marriage. The wedding ceremony took place in the parish of the town of Radziejów. (That is my take on the Polish spelling of the Latin place name. In Latin the letter “i” symbolized both the vowel “i” and the consonant “j”. It was in during the late 19th and early 20th centuries that “j” was used for the consonant.) No former in-laws appear in the text. The groom was from the village of Trzaski, which belonged to the parish of Inowrocław and the banns were also announced there. Actually the Latin is quite good and the grammar and syntax is normal. The difficulty may be simply that you’ve not seen the constructions found in this record in other records you’ve read.

The translation follows. Given names are translated into their Polish form.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

The town of Radziejów On the 21st day of February 1808* the Reverend Pan Stanisław Modtkowski, superior/pasttor of the parish church in Góra, after the three announcements of the banns had been promulgated according to custom, in the presence of the pastor of Radziejów** blessed the marriage contracted between the industrious*** Tomasz Warkuszewski, a widower, and the renowned**** Anastazja Kozłowska, a maiden, in the presence of Ferdynand Wegel (or Megel), a surgeon, and Wojciech Woyciechowski. However, since the aforementioned Tomasz Warkuszewski was from the parish of Inowrocław**, therefore he presented a certificate/testimony from his pastor regarding the promulgation of the banns there which was of the following tenor: In regard to the contracting of marriage between Tomasz Warkuszewski, a widower, a miller from the village of Trzaski of the parish of Inowrocław**, and Anastazja Kozłowska, a maiden from Radziejów, the banns had been promulgated and no impediment had been detected, I attest by these presents***** —actually the wife of the above named Tomasz Warkuszewski by the name of Maryanna died on the 10th day of October and was buried on the 13th of the same month in the Cemetery of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In testimony of which I sign below with my own hand and affix the parish seal. Given in Inowrocław** on the 20th day of February 1808 (Signature of) Józef Januszewski, curate of Inowrocław**.

Notes: *The month and year are found on the previous page of the register.

**Radzieioviensis & Iunivladislaviensis are Latin adjectival forms of the place names. The —iensis ending indicates that they are treated as 3rd Declension adjectives. Other place names appear in their vernacular (Polish) form.

***honestus/upright: an adjective used to designate a person as a peasant.

****famatus/renowned: an adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman.

*****praesentibus/these presents, i.e. this document
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:35 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Marriage Record

herb43 wrote:

Thank you,
herb43

Hi Herb,

Two sets of marriage registers exist and both are found on Family Search. The two are not identical. So what’s the deal? One is the ecclesiastical copy of the register and the other in a civil transcript. The reason for two copies lies in the history of the region. As a result of the Congress of Vienna in 1815 the region came under Prussian control as part of the Grand Duchy of Posen. The Prussian government required that Catholic priests and Protestant (Lutheran) ministers submit copies of their parish registers to serve as civil vital records. The columnar format came to be in general use by 1820. With the reunification of Germany in 1871 the region became part of the German Empire. From 1874 until the end of WWI the keeping of vital records was taken away from churches and transferred to free standing civil registry offices. Prior to 1874 parishes made copies of the parish registers and thus two or copies of the registers existed. This was the situation with the record you posted. That record was the civil transcript. The original was the ecclesiastical copy. As a general rule when dealing with manuscripts, be they copies of the works of the authors of antiquity or manuscripts of the New Testament or documents from the Middle Ages or copies of parish sacramental registers the older the copy the more accurate and reliable the text. This is demonstrated in your posted record. The film notes for the copy you posted state that the film is of civil transcripts. Several errors are clear in entries which had been crossed out. Another error is not quite as obvious—the names of the witnesses are wrong. They are individuals listed in another record on the same page.

Here are translations of the two sets of records. In my opinion, the more accurate and more valuable version is the ecclesiastical copy.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Ecclesiastical Copy:
Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year): 9

Col. 2: Dies et Mensis Copulationis = The Day and Month of the Marriage: 11 February

Col. 3: Nomen Sacerdotis Benedicentis Matrimonium = The Name of the Priest blessing the Marriage: the same

Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, demominato domicilii, status artis vel conditionis vitae, et utrum in ecclesia an in privato copulati sint = The First Name and Surname of those marrying, (their) place of residence, status of art or condition of life, and whether they were married in a church or in private: The groom: Walenty Jakuboski, a bachelor from Wszedzin (current spelling: Wszedzień); The bride: Franciszka Gierszewska, a maiden from Dębna

Col. 5: Num copulati vel una pars eorum antea vinculo matrimonii obstricti aut obstricta fuit, num sub potestate parentum vel tutorum existunt. = Whether one of them already had been bound by the state of matrimony or if not, whether they remained to this time under the tutelage of (their) parents or guardians: Both free (i.e. both are emancipated adults)

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 32
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 35

Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic

Col. 8: Nomen et Cognomen Parentum = Given & Surname of the Parents
Col. 8a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Tomasz Jakuboski, Emilia Tecławska
Col. 8b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Jakub Gierszewski, illegible given name Guntkowska or Gientkowska

Col. 9: Num cum Consensu Parentum vel Tutorum vel Judicii Tutelaris Matrimonium Contractum Sit. = Whether the marriage was contracted with the Consent of the Parents or of the Guardians or of the Court of Guardianship: They needed none

Col. 10: Dies Promulgationum = dates of the Proclamation (of the Banns): as above

Col. 11: Num cum Dispensatione Aliqua Matrimonium Contraxerunt et de Quo Dato = Whether they contracted marriage with any dispensation and from what it was granted: Blank

Col. 12: Nomen, Cognomen, ars et conditio vitae adstantium testium = The First Names and Surnames, profession and state of life of the present witnesses: Michał Eisbrenner, Wojciech Ostrowski

Col. 13: Adnotatio = Notation: Dębna

Civil Transcript:
Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year): 8

Col. 2: Annus et Dies Copulationis = The Year and Day of the Marriage: 11th of the same (i.e. February)

Col. 3: Nomen Sacerdotis Copulantis = The Name of the Officiating Priest (lit. of the marrying priest): he same

Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, locus habitationis, conditio et professio, et utrum copulatio in ecclesia vel in aedibus privatis subsecuta? = The First Name and Surname of those marrying, (their) place of residence, condition and profession, and whether the marriage followed in a church or in a private building? : The groom: Walenty Jakuboski, a bachelor from Wszedzin (current spelling: Wszedzień); The bride: Franciszka Gierszewska, a maiden from Dębna; married in the parish church

Col. 5: Whether they already had lived in the state of matrimony or if not, whether they remained to this time under the tutelage of (their) parents or guardians: Crossed out an erroneous entry and added “both free”

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 32
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 35

Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic

Col. 8: Consensus Parentum vel Tutorum = The Consent of the Parents or of the Guardians: Crossed out an erroneous entry and added: “they needed none”

Col. 9: Proclamatio Bannorum = The Proclamation of the Banns: 1. The Feast of the Purification; 2. Sexagesima Sunday (60 days before Easter); 3. Quinqagesima Sunday (50 days before Easter)

Col. 10: Dispensatio a proclamatione = Dispensation from the proclamation (of the banns): Blank

Col. 11: Testes = Witnesses: Wawrzyniec Przybylski; Stefan Szczepanski
herb43

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:30 am      Post subject: Latin Marriage Record

Dave,
Thank you so much for the translations and explanation. They are very valuable to me.
I was only able to find the one record.
Can you give me the Family Search file number for the Ecclesiastical record so that I can add it to my files?
I would also like to compensate you for your work, if you could tell me how I can do that.
herb43
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:16 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Marriage Record

herb43 wrote:
Dave,
Thank you so much for the translations and explanation. They are very valuable to me.
I was only able to find the one record.
Can you give me the Family Search file number for the Ecclesiastical record so that I can add it to my files?
I would also like to compensate you for your work, if you could tell me how I can do that.
herb43

Hi Herb,

The film number is 2090360 Item 2 Image 264. The description is Akta małźeństw 1841-1867. The DGS number is 8120865. The Poznan Project indexed this record. Instead of using the film made at the Archdiocesan Archive in Gniezno the indexer visited the archive and used the physical register to view the entry. Of course that method works only for someone in Europe. On this side of the pond we depend on the LDS film which contains the image of the record housed in the Archdiocesan Archive. These particular records were filmed in 1997 and the films made research here much more possible and now that the images have been digitized and are available online research has become a piece of cake. Anyone researching what was the Province of Posen owes a huge debt of gratitude to the folks at Family Search.

Dave
herb43

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:49 pm      Post subject: Latin Marriage Record

I found it, thanks so much. Thank you also for the explanation of the record keeping at that time period in Poland. I'm going to look more intensely for double records now in that area. I might get lucky and find the death record that has been evading me for years.
herb43
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:05 pm      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Can you please translate the attached Birth record.

Ted

Birth Bartholomeous Okupski - record 5 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  423.29 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Birth Bartholomeous Okupski - record 5 (2).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:06 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Can you please translate the attached Birth record.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I’m not able to read the name of the parish in the record, but you already know the place name. The reason for the difficulty is the place name appears as a Latin Third Declension adjective. Such adjectives are formed by adding the letters -iensis to the stem of the word. The problem is that I am not certain of the letters immediately before the ending and there are too many villages named Jastrzębia in Poland to make locating the parish name via maps easy. In the future please post the name of the parish together with your translation request. It will make the translation process much easier and less time consuming.

Thanks.

Dave

Translation: 1802 from the village of Jastrzębia

In the 1,802nd Year of Our Lord on the 24th day of August I, Jan N. Wolski, pastor of the parish of Grab???, baptized a male infant having given him the name Bartłomiej, a son of the legitimate marital union of the industrious* Jakub Okupski and Margołzata Marcinuwna**, born yesterday after midnight. The sponsors lifting him up*** were Jacenty Chrynacki and Jadwiga Drynuwna**, both from Jastrzębia.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: The adjective was used to describe an individual as a peasant.
**The suffix -uwna was usually written as -owna and was used to denote the maiden name of a woman.
***levantes/lifting (him) up: a circumlocution for “godparents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 211, 212, 213 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 212 of 274

Jump to: