PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 238, 239, 240 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:03 pm      Post subject: Translation Helps

Hi all,
Our family history has always been kind of a mystery, and I am hoping to get some help in translating this baptism record to help put some of the pieces together. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Baptism Record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.43 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Baptism Record.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:09 pm      Post subject: Re: Help With Location

Kurt1322 wrote:
This 1856 marriage is from the Parish of Belz in Galicia. I am hoping that I can get help with another parish or town to look into for the groom. Maybe this is a handwriting issue more than a translation, but I am hoping it may be familiar to someone.

Thank you,

Kurt

Hi Kurt,
To my eye, it is Prossnitz, Moravia.
See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prost%C4%9Bjov
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:54 pm      Post subject: Re: Joannes Szaar - marriage 1832

Blue wrote:

Any chance you can please help me to find Blinkenau in Śląsk/Selesia on Google Maps?

Hi Blue,

It would make sense for the Protestant parish of Blinkenau to be in the vicinity of the place where the groom was from—Sysserode. The problem with Google Maps is that neither location can be found on that site. The best advice I can offer is to find a 19th Century detailed map of Silesia and search for those locations. Unfortunately I’m not familiar with such a map. The FOUNDATION for EAST EUROPEAN FAMILY HISTORY STUDIES—https://feefhs.org/ —has quite a few good resources and a good collection of maps, including maps of Silesia as part of their German Empire collection. Perhaps it may be worth your while to search the maps of Silesia on that site.

Sorry that I can’t offer better suggestions.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:49 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation Helps

santosh wrote:
Hi all,
Our family history has always been kind of a mystery, and I am hoping to get some help in translating this baptism record to help put some of the pieces together. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

The certificate you posted is missing the bottom portion which would give the exact date when the certificate was issued. However, it dates from the days of the Second Polish Republic (Post WWI until 1939) so Several administrative divisions do not correspond to contemporary divisions. The village and parish of Blizne were then in the województwo (province) of Lwów but are now in the Podkarpackie województwo (province). The only records for Blizne indexed on Geneteka are for the years 1890-1905. Among those indexed records is the marriage of Piotr Częczek’s sister Wiktoria to Antoni Glinski from 1897 Entry #10. Attached in a scan of that marriage record. If at some point you would like a translation of that marriage please post your request on this Latin translations thread.

In the translation of the certificate given names are first translated into their Polish version followed by their English version.

The translation of the posted certificate follows.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Translation of B & B Certificate:

Top of Certificate:
Left Side:
Diocesis = Diocese: Przemyśl
Decanatus = Deanery (Polish: Dekenat): Brzozów
Parochia = Parish: Blizne

Center: Number (of certificate issued): 9

Right Side:
Respublica = Republic: Polonia = Poland
Palatinatus = Province (Polish: Województwo): Lwów
Districtus = District/County (Polish: Powiat): Brzozów

Testimonium ortus et baptismi = Certificate of birth and of baptism

The parish office of the Roman Catholic Latin Rite church in Blizne attests by the presents (i.e. this certificate) that in the register of baptisms designated for Blizne in Volume VI, page 503, number in order 76 is found the following:
Date of birth: 27 September 1906 (first in Arabic numerals and the in Latin words
Place of birth: Blizne
Date of baptism: 28 Setember1906
Minister of baptism: Franciszek Wolski, pastor
Religion of the one baptized: Roman Catholic

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Stanisław/Stanislaus (English & Latin are the same)

Col. 2a: Gender: masculine
Col. 2b: Bed: legitimi = legitimate

Col. 3: Parents (of the one baptized), their given name, surname, (their) parents, religion, Status/condition/occupation age: (the father): Piotr/Peter Częczek, the son of Józef/Joseph Częczek, and of Zofia/Sophia, the daughter of Tomasz/Thomas Bać
(and the mother): Franciszka/Frances Kasprzyk, the daughter of Kacper/Casper Kasprzyk and of Maryanna/Maryanne, the daughter of Kielar (surname of Maryanna’s father without hisgiven name)

Col. 4: The sponsors, their given name, surname, religion status/condition/occupation, domicile: Wojciech/Adalbert Wojtowicz; Ludwika/Louise, the daughter of Ignacy/Ignatius Szafran

Col. 5: Midwife, Confirmation, change of status (order of marriages), etc.: The midwife (was) Maria Nowakowska

Screenshot 2022-07-24 134602.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB

Screenshot 2022-07-24 134602.png

Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:16 pm      Post subject:

Maps of Blizne 1937/1938
49deg 44min N 22deg 02min E
North part
http://maps.mapywig.org/m/WIG_maps/series/100K/P49_S34_BLAZOWA_1938_600dpi_bcuj302572-289599.jpg

South part
http://maps.mapywig.org/m/WIG_maps/series/100K/P50_S34_SANOK_1937_600dpi_bcuj302691-289649.jpg

P50_S34_SANOK_1937_600dpi_bcuj302691-289649.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  301.16 KB

P50_S34_SANOK_1937_600dpi_bcuj302691-289649.jpg

P49_S34_BLAZOWA_1938_600dpi_bcuj302572-289599.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.1 KB

P49_S34_BLAZOWA_1938_600dpi_bcuj302572-289599.jpg

wuness

Replies: 84

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:10 am      Post subject:

Would you please translate line 16 of the marriage notice between Casimirus Matuszak and Catharina. Thank you. wuness

Casimir Matuszak 1855 MC.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  508.61 KB

Casimir Matuszak  1855 MC.jpg

jajan

Replies: 71

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:10 pm      Post subject: Marcin Kotecki Birth 1849

Hi Dave,

I hope that you and your garden are doing well! Could you please help me with the translation of the birth record of Marcin Kotecki\Koteski from the Catholic church in Popowo Kościelne (Wągrowiec), Poznań? It is record #47. I am fairly certain that this is the correct record but I expected his parents to be Martin Kotecki and Agnes Czaplewski, which seems unclear in this record.

Unfortunately, the headers have been cutoff\not filmed in all of this book. Nor could I find similar headers in adjacent books.

I would very much appreciate anything you can do re: a translation. I am also interested in the note in the right margin if readable.

Thank-You!

jajan

Marcin Kotecki Birth 1849.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.6 MB

Marcin Kotecki Birth 1849.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:23 pm      Post subject:

wuness wrote:
Would you please translate line 16 of the marriage notice between Casimirus Matuszak and Catharina. Thank you. wuness

Hi wuness,

Please post an image of the headings of the columns. That will allow me to choose the correct “fill in the blanks” template and thus shorten the amount of time needed for the translation of your doc. I’m big on not spending “busy work” time aka repetitive typing for translations, which is the reason I created about a dozen B&B templates to fit the various headings found in records from the German Partition. It also helps greatly if you provide the name of the parish from which the record came.

Thanks,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Marcin Kotecki Birth 1849

jajan wrote:
Hi Dave,

I hope that you and your garden are doing well! Could you please help me with the translation of the birth record of Marcin Kotecki\Koteski from the Catholic church in Popowo Kościelne (Wągrowiec), Poznań? It is record #47. I am fairly certain that this is the correct record but I expected his parents to be Martin Kotecki and Agnes Czaplewski, which seems unclear in this record.

Unfortunately, the headers have been cutoff\not filmed in all of this book. Nor could I find similar headers in adjacent books.

I would very much appreciate anything you can do re: a translation. I am also interested in the note in the right margin if readable.

Thank-You!

jajan

Hi jajan,

The garden is doing OK but this has been an unusual growing season—a cold and damp April & May and then an up and down June & July. Three or four days in a row with temps near 100 followed by a series of days with highs in the upper 60s and low 70s and lows in the mid 50s. Plants and fruit trees are growing but everything is later than usual. It is a good thing that it is only a hobby and not a way to earn a living.

The entry for Marcin is problematic for several reasons. First: the priest’s handwriting—especially in the formation of upper case letters—does not follow “standard” penmanship. Second: the column headings are missing. Third: entries are made in the wrong columns. Fourth: corrections have been made in a different hand at a later date. Finally, the order of the columns is unique in my experience, both from my personal research and from the translations I’ve provided for more years than I care to recall.

Columnar registers with printed column headings appeared in what was the Grand Duchy of Posen circa 1820. Marcin’s birth took place about a year after the Grand Duchy of Posen became the Province of Posen. Over the years the column headings varied. To make my life easier I created “fill in the blanks” templates for about a dozen variations which I encountered but have never come across one which matches Marcin’s record. However, although I don’t know the exact phrasing used in the missing Latin headings I am reasonably certain of what data the columns were intended to contain.

Here is a link to information and pictures (exterior & interior) of the parish church https://archidiecezja.pl/kuria_parafie/rejon-gnieznienski/dekanat-klecki/popowo-koscielne-par-pw-zwiastowania-nmp/ Since the contemporary church structure dates from 1629 your ancestors would have celebrated baptisms, marriages and funerals in that building.

My translation of the entry follows.

Dave

C.1: Number of baptism in order for the year: 47
C.2: Year and Month: 1849, October
C.3: Date of baptism: 15
C.4: Name of the priest baptizing: The same (as the first entry on the page)
C.5: Name of the child: Marcin*
C.6: Place of birth: Łosiewiec
C.7: Date of birth: 4 October
C.8: Name of father & status: Marcin Kotecki (illegible status), father of the child**(pater infantis)
C.9: Religion: Catholic
C. 10: Name of mother: Jan Czapleski***, the male sponsor (Patrinus) (Here is where the errors in data entry begin in a serious way.)
C.11: Name of the male sponsor (patrinus): Antonina Gramowska****, female sponsor (Patrina)
C.12: Name of the female sponsor: Agnieszka Czaple(w)ska*****, mother of the child (mater infantis)
C.13: Tally of legitimate males: 24
C.14: Tally of illegitimate males: blank
C.15: Tally of legitimate females: blank
C.16: Tally of illegitimate females: blank
C.17: Notations: (The entry is in Polish and states that extracts (for certificates) were made twice): Extracted (wyjęty) on 5.8.1859 (&) in the year 1868 for the second time (w r(oku) 1868 po raz drugi)******

Notes: * Here the two crosses (++) under his name do not signify that he died but refer to the notation in the final column that the data was extracted twice for certificates.

**At a later date someone corrected a word to become “pater” (father).

***The male sponsor (Jan) was entered in the column where the mother’s name should have been recorded but the priest noted that he was the male sponsor by adding the Latin word patrinus.

****The female sponsor (Antonina) was entered in the column where the name of the male sponsor should have been entered but the priest noted that she was the female sponsor by adding the Latin word patrina.

*****The mother (Agnieszka Czaple(w)ska) was entered in the column where the name of the female sponsor should have been entered but the priest clarified that she was the mother by adding the Latin phrase “mater infantis”

******Cf. Note * for the meaning of the two crosses
jajan

Replies: 71

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:06 pm      Post subject: RE: Martin Kotecki Birth 1849

dnowicki wrote:
jajan wrote:
Hi Dave,

Thank-You!

jajan

Hi jajan,

The garden is doing OK but this has been an unusual growing season—a cold and damp April & May and then an up and down June & July. Three or four days in a row with temps near 100 followed by a series of days with highs in the upper 60s and low 70s and lows in the mid 50s. Plants and fruit trees are growing but everything is later than usual. It is a good thing that it is only a hobby and not a way to earn a living.

The entry for Marcin is problematic for several reasons. First: the priest’s handwriting—especially in the formation of upper case letters—does not follow “standard” penmanship. Second: the column headings are missing. Third: entries are made in the wrong columns. Fourth: corrections have been made in a different hand at a later date. Finally, the order of the columns is unique in my experience, both from my personal research and from the translations I’ve provided for more years than I care to recall.

Columnar registers with printed column headings appeared in what was the Grand Duchy of Posen circa 1820. Marcin’s birth took place about a year after the Grand Duchy of Posen became the Province of Posen. Over the years the column headings varied. To make my life easier I created “fill in the blanks” templates for about a dozen variations which I encountered but have never come across one which matches Marcin’s record. However, although I don’t know the exact phrasing used in the missing Latin headings I am reasonably certain of what data the columns were intended to contain.

Here is a link to information and pictures (exterior & interior) of the parish church https://archidiecezja.pl/kuria_parafie/rejon-gnieznienski/dekanat-klecki/popowo-koscielne-par-pw-zwiastowania-nmp/ Since the contemporary church structure dates from 1629 your ancestors would have celebrated baptisms, marriages and funerals in that building.

My translation of the entry follows.

Dave

C.1: Number of baptism in order for the year: 47
C.2: Year and Month: 1849, October
C.3: Date of baptism: 15
C.4: Name of the priest baptizing: The same (as the first entry on the page)
C.5: Name of the child: Marcin*
C.6: Place of birth: Łosiewiec
C.7: Date of birth: 4 October
C.8: Name of father & status: Marcin Kotecki (illegible status), father of the child**(pater infantis)
C.9: Religion: Catholic
C. 10: Name of mother: Jan Czapleski***, the male sponsor (Patrinus) (Here is where the errors in data entry begin in a serious way.)
C.11: Name of the male sponsor (patrinus): Antonina Gramowska****, female sponsor (Patrina)
C.12: Name of the female sponsor: Agnieszka Czaple(w)ska*****, mother of the child (mater infantis)
C.13: Tally of legitimate males: 24
C.14: Tally of illegitimate males: blank
C.15: Tally of legitimate females: blank
C.16: Tally of illegitimate females: blank
C.17: Notations: (The entry is in Polish and states that extracts (for certificates) were made twice): Extracted (wyjęty) on 5.8.1859 (&) in the year 1868 for the second time (w r(oku) 1868 po raz drugi)******

Notes: * Here the two crosses (++) under his name do not signify that he died but refer to the notation in the final column that the data was extracted twice for certificates.

**At a later date someone corrected a word to become “pater” (father).

***The male sponsor (Jan) was entered in the column where the mother’s name should have been recorded but the priest noted that he was the male sponsor by adding the Latin word patrinus.

****The female sponsor (Antonina) was entered in the column where the name of the male sponsor should have been entered but the priest noted that she was the female sponsor by adding the Latin word patrina.

*****The mother (Agnieszka Czaple(w)ska) was entered in the column where the name of the female sponsor should have been entered but the priest clarified that she was the mother by adding the Latin phrase “mater infantis”

******Cf. Note * for the meaning of the two crosses

Hi Dave,

Your time and effort to sort out this problematic record is truly appreciated! I have been looking for this record for many years and now feel confident that it is the correct record and I can link a remaining paternal line to an exact place in Poland (finally). I found an older brother's baptism in the same parish and he has the 1859 notation as well but not the 1868 notation (Interesting!).

Thanks, also, for providing the link to the parish which rounds out the newly found home in Poland for this paternal line.

jajan.
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:12 am      Post subject: Latin Translation Help Please

Hi Dave,
Can you please translate this record for me?

It is the death record of Stanislaw Ostrowski. Someone posted this on my familysearch tree and I want to double check a few things to make sure it is the correct person.

This is what I already know and have documentation as proof. Stanislaw Ostrowski was married to Apolonia Mrowczynska. His parents were Kacper Ostrowski and Marianna (maiden name unknown). He was born about 1814. He had 14 kids. I have all their names and some of the names on the death record seem to match, but I cannot read all of them.

Also, I believe the record came from Kwieciszewo, Mogilno. The town of death looks like Marcinkowo. Note: Most of Stanislaw's children were born in Gebice, Mogilno.

Thank you for all your help.
Trish

Possible Stanislaw Ostrowski Death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.94 KB

Possible Stanislaw Ostrowski Death.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Translation Help Please

Trish wrote:
Hi Dave,

It is the death record of Stanislaw Ostrowski. Someone posted this on my familysearch tree and I want to double check a few things to make sure it is the correct person.

This is what I already know and have documentation as proof. Stanislaw Ostrowski was married to Apolonia Mrowczynska. His parents were Kacper Ostrowski and Marianna (maiden name unknown). He was born about 1814. He had 14 kids. I have all their names and some of the names on the death record seem to match, but I cannot read all of them.

Also, I believe the record came from Kwieciszewo, Mogilno. The town of death looks like Marcinkowo. Note: Most of Stanislaw's children were born in Gebice, Mogilno.

Trish

Hi Trish,

.I cannot read the names of two children because letters are cut off on the image. The translation follows

Dave

Col. 1: No. = Number: 18

Col. 2: ANNUS et MENSIS = Year & Month: Year missing; April
Col. 3: Obitus Dies = Date of Death
Col. 3A: Dies = Day: 16 April
Col. 3B: Hora = Hour: 11 in the night

Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Sacerdotis =Given and Surname of the priest: Ditto

Col. 5: In quo loco = In which place: Marcinkowo

Col. 6: NOMEN et COGNOMEN = First name & Surname: Stanisław Ostrowski

Col. 7: AETAS = Age
Col. 7A: Annus = Year(s): 36
Col. 7B: Mensis = Month(s): Blank
Col. 7C: Dies = Day(s): Blank

Col. 8: CONDITIO = Condition/state of life/occupation: figulus = potter

Col. 9: Conditio et professio Patris = Condition & occupation of the Father: figulus = potter

Col. 10: NOMEN et COGNOMEN = First Name & Surname
Col. 10A: Patris = of the Father: Kacper/Kacpar (Polish has two spellings of the name which in English is Casper) Ostrowski

Col. 10B: Matris = of the Mother: Maryanna

Col. 11: Masculi = Male
Col. 11A: Legitimi = Legitimate: 11
Col. 11B: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 12: Feminae = Female
Col. 12A: Legitimae = Legitimate: Blank
Col. 12B: Illegitimae = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 13: MORBUS = Disease (Cause of Death): Subenatae = Sudden

Col. 14: Unde patet Curato persoman defunctam esse eandem sicut ipsi relatum = From whence the Curate/Pastor learned of the deceased : Per uxorem = from the wife

Col. 15: ADNOTATIONES = Notations: Survived by his wife Paulina*; 7 children**: 1) Teodor, age 20; 2)Konstanty, 17 years of age; 3 & 4) Name cut off & Adam, 13 years of age; 5) M​​​ (letters cut off) 7 years of age; 6) Stanisław 6 years of age; 6 but should be 7) Czesław 2 years 9f age. Gratis = no charge (for the burial).

Notes: *The priest probably knew her by the diminutive Pola which is for both Paulina and Apolonia

**7 children: the other 7 must have died.
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:13 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Translation Help Please with updated question

dnowicki wrote:
Trish wrote:
Hi Dave,

Trish

Hi Trish,

.I cannot read the names of two children because letters are cut off on the image. The translation follows

Dave

Col. 1: No. = Number: 18

Col. 2: ANNUS et MENSIS = Year & Month: Year missing; April
Col. 3: Obitus Dies = Date of Death
Col. 3A: Dies = Day: 16 April
Col. 3B: Hora = Hour: 11 in the night

Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Sacerdotis =Given and Surname of the priest: Ditto

Col. 5: In quo loco = In which place: Marcinkowo

Col. 6: NOMEN et COGNOMEN = First name & Surname: Stanisław Ostrowski

Col. 7: AETAS = Age
Col. 7A: Annus = Year(s): 36
Col. 7B: Mensis = Month(s): Blank
Col. 7C: Dies = Day(s): Blank

Col. 8: CONDITIO = Condition/state of life/occupation: figulus = potter

Col. 9: Conditio et professio Patris = Condition & occupation of the Father: figulus = potter

Col. 10: NOMEN et COGNOMEN = First Name & Surname
Col. 10A: Patris = of the Father: Kacper/Kacpar (Polish has two spellings of the name which in English is Casper) Ostrowski

Col. 10B: Matris = of the Mother: Maryanna

Col. 11: Masculi = Male
Col. 11A: Legitimi = Legitimate: 11
Col. 11B: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 12: Feminae = Female
Col. 12A: Legitimae = Legitimate: Blank
Col. 12B: Illegitimae = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 13: MORBUS = Disease (Cause of Death): Subenatae = Sudden

Col. 14: Unde patet Curato persoman defunctam esse eandem sicut ipsi relatum = From whence the Curate/Pastor learned of the deceased : Per uxorem = from the wife

Col. 15: ADNOTATIONES = Notations: Survived by his wife Paulina*; 7 children**: 1) Teodor, age 20; 2)Konstanty, 17 years of age; 3 & 4) Name cut off & Adam, 13 years of age; 5) M​​​ (letters cut off) 7 years of age; 6) Stanisław 6 years of age; 6 but should be 7) Czesław 2 years 9f age. Gratis = no charge (for the burial).

Notes: *The priest probably knew her by the diminutive Pola which is for both Paulina and Apolonia

**7 children: the other 7 must have died.

Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for the full translation. You verified what I was reading. The children that were still alive were: Teoodor, Konstanty, Adam & Jan (were twins), Marianna (my g.g.grandmother), Stanislaw, and Boleslaw. However, I have Michalina alive and having a child in September 1871 and her father (Stanilsaw) died in April 1871.

Question added: Would they have included a married child in the list of children still alive? I did not find a death record for Michalina.

I do have death records for 3 children that died young. I am still missing 3. Have to keep searching!

Thank you so much for all your help!!!!

Have a wonderful day!
Trish
matwater

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:19 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave, Looking for translation, some are poor quality, I tried to fix as much as I could! I do understand the different columns, I am just hoping for help with the surnames, villages, dates, and relations! Thank you

A44C7481-3882-4599-BC5F-BE5EF08361C4.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  365.71 KB

A44C7481-3882-4599-BC5F-BE5EF08361C4.jpeg

67244E7A-FB82-45AF-ABA6-5ED32C78B953.jpeg
 Description:
For Maria Siwy 3rd row
 Filesize:  422.11 KB
 Viewed:  1 Time(s)

67244E7A-FB82-45AF-ABA6-5ED32C78B953.jpeg

226F9325-A298-4B83-8D44-4A98A246D47C.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  391.24 KB
 Viewed:  1 Time(s)

226F9325-A298-4B83-8D44-4A98A246D47C.jpeg

A3B0BFE7-3E90-4A71-8733-34C45A3EDACE.jpeg
 Description:
For Catherina
 Filesize:  692.54 KB

A3B0BFE7-3E90-4A71-8733-34C45A3EDACE.jpeg

Last edited by matwater on Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:16 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Translation Help Please with updated question

Trish[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Question added: Would they have included a married child in the list of children still alive? I did not find a death record for Michalina.[/b]

I do have death records for 3 children that died young. I am still missing 3. Have to keep searching!

Thank you so much for all your help!!!!

Have a wonderful day!
Trish[/quote]

Hi Trish,

The final column of a death record has no set info to be included. It was up to the priest whether or not he wanted to enter a note and what and how much info he wanted to include. This column was often used to note whether or not an adult received the sacraments in preparation for death. Those sacraments were collectively known as “The Last Rites”. It could also be used, as it was in your record, to list survivors. He could have included a married daughter but for some reason he did not. A possible explanation could be that the omission was a simple question of out of sight, out of mind. Remember the priest was writing the entry post factum...most likely when he was alone in the parish office. The bottom line is that the priest was completely free to enter whatever he wanted in that column.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 238, 239, 240 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 239 of 274

Jump to: