PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:12 am      Post subject: A little help with a few words of birth record please

Could someone help me translating a few words of my great-grandmother’s birth record for Mary Poniatyszyn? It’s the last entry on the page and I've starred it. A larger view is here if needed: http://agadd.home.net.pl/metrykalia/301/sygn.%201399/images/PL_1_301_1399_0212.jpg

I’m looking for help under the date and month in the left column, under “November” – I’m not sure what this word says. Also the right hand column of her godparents, I would love help deciphering what those names are, as neither seems familiar to ones I’ve come across in this family.

Thank you so much.

1886 birth of marya poniatyszyn.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  721.38 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1886 birth of marya poniatyszyn.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:24 pm      Post subject: Re: Krystian Kowalski and Maryanna Kempa - Marriage 1845

Blue wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Col. 5: Nomen, Cognomen, et conditio sponse et utrum in facie Ecclesiae = The Given and Surnames, and status of the bride and whether married in the presence of the Congregation:
Maria, viduata Baberoska, filia Mathiæ Kempa quondam Custodis Sylvæ (the usual spelling is Silvæ) Trzcinnicensis, et Maria Kałusianka** = Maria, the widowed Baberoska, daughter of Maciej Kempa, formerly the Custodian of the Forest of Trzcinica, and Maria Kałusianka**

Hi Dave

Thanks again for all your help, knowledge and for the maps. I am amazed at how large the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was back then, especially given what is happening today in Ukraine.

Can I please ask you about Maria's father's occupation as Custodian of the Forest of Trzcinica? How would you describe this job?

Hi blue,

It is difficult to try to describe the specifics of his job in a marriage record from 1845. Although the meaning of the Latin words is clear and although Latin had ceased to be a vernacular more than a millennium prior to this record being written the Latin language was still a language which changed based on time and place. The good place to start would be to consider how those two words were used in Poland or more accurately in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth during the middle ages. During the years between World War I and World War II Latin scholars made the decision to attempt to compile a definitive list of Latin words as they were used during the middle ages in the various countries of Europe. It didn’t take long to learn that this task was overwhelming and so the decision was made to separate the list of Latin words for each of the various countries of Europe and the British Isles where the language was used. The dictionary of medieval Latin as used in Poland was begun before World War II and it’s still a work in progress. According to the Słownik Łaciny Średniowiecznej w Polsce (The Dictionary of Medieval Latin in Poland), which is currently at the letter R, custodes silvarum are defined as “ministri, qui silvas a colonis rura incolentibus custodiebant”, which can be translated as “agents/officials who guarded the forests from the settlers/colonists inhabiting the rural areas/lands/countryside”. Coloni/settlers/colonists were individuals who lived in a newly created settlement or colony, which usually had Kolonia as part of its name. If any such settlements near Trzcinica appear around the middle of the 19th Century it would be likely that guarding the forests from settlers would have been part of his duties. If not, his duties most likely would have involved keeping the forests from being despoiled by those who lived nearby and to have guarded the forests from illegal intrusions.

According to the Słownik geograficzny, (http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_XII/548) there were two forests near Trzcinica, one of approximately 10 hectares (about 25 acres) which belonged the the village and another which belonged to the manor and consisted of 74 hectares (183 acres). The size of the two forests would have kept one guard busy with supervision duties. Perhaps he was part of a team of forest guards who were responsible for both forests.

You mentioned the situation in Ukraine. The lands of modern day Ukraine played a major role in the catastrophic period in the history of the Commonwealth known as “The Deluge” (Potop). The period began with the Cossack uprising of 1648 to 1657, an event known as the Khmelnytsky (Chmielnicki) Uprising aka the Cossack-Polish War and continued with a war with Moscow and the Swedish invasion of the Commonwealth. At the end of the Deluge the Commonwealth lost some of its eastern lands to Moscow. The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was commonly known as The Commonwealth of the Two Nations (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów). By the end of The Deluge it was proposed to change the Commonwealth from two nations to three nations. The new name for the State was to be The Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth or the Commonwealth of the Three Nations (Rzeczpostpolita Trojga Naradów). The changes to the Commonwealth were approved but, unfortunately, were not fully implemented. These events involved some of the same lands which figure prominently in the current conflict.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:02 pm      Post subject: Re: A little help with a few words of birth record please

SpeedDemonND wrote:
Could someone help me translating a few words of my great-grandmother’s birth record for Mary Poniatyszyn? It’s the last entry on the page and I've starred it. A larger view is here if needed: http://agadd.home.net.pl/metrykalia/301/sygn.%201399/images/PL_1_301_1399_0212.jpg

I’m looking for help under the date and month in the left column, under “November” – I’m not sure what this word says. Also the right hand column of her godparents, I would love help deciphering what those names are, as neither seems familiar to ones I’ve come across in this family.

Thank you so much.

Hi,

The word you are asking about in the date column is a place name which looks like it likely is Podgorze. The title of the section is Pagus Zielińcze (The village of Zielińcze) which appears to be a village which had a filial church for whatever parish these records come from. The place name in the first column is that of a settlement which used the filial church in Zielińcze. Knowing basic info like the name of the parish would have made it much less time consuming to attempt to get a handle on the geography found in the record.

The given names of the sponsors aka godparents are in Latin but the surnames are, of course, in the vernacular. The sponsors are in English Demetrius/Dimitri and in Polish Dymitr Saczerzecki & Magdalene (English) Magdalena (Polish) Tarczyniak.

Note that the father of Marya, Roman Poniatyszyn, is the male sponsor aka godfather of the child in the previous record, Marya Bednarz. The individuals chosen as sponsors/godparents sometimes were relatives, sometimes were friends (especially from the village or parish where the child was born but sometimes their only connection to the family was that they were available to act as sponsors without any more significant connection to the family. This often happened when the parish had a residence for the aged and/or the infirm which was located in proximity to the church.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:01 pm      Post subject:

Hi, Dave

I have come across this baptismal record and it seems the parents' names were written at the bottom of the record (unlike many other in this parish). If my assumption is correct, child's parents are Kazimier Magrowski and Jadwiga, though I cannot decipher the child's name (Lukas? Laurentius?)

Thank you for having a look at this.

Gilberto

1749 - B - Who (KazJad) - 26 agosto b.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.87 KB

1749 - B - Who (KazJad) - 26 agosto b.JPG

Send e-mail
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:52 pm      Post subject:

Magroski49 wrote:
Hi, Dave

I have come across this baptismal record and it seems the parents' names were written at the bottom of the record (unlike many other in this parish). If my assumption is correct, child's parents are Kazimier Magrowski and Jadwiga, though I cannot decipher the child's name (Lukas? Laurentius?)

Gilberto

G'day Gilberto

On my reading it looks like Ludovicus (Ludwik).

Ted
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:53 pm      Post subject:

[quote="Magroski49"]Hi, Dave

Gilberto[/quote

Hi Gilberto,

Is the current indexing project getting close to ending?

The reason why the record is not in the usual format is because the child was baptized when he was in danger of dying. However, he survived and the entry is a record of his having been brought to the parish church on 26 August, 1749 for the supplying of the ceremonies which surrounded the essential portion of baptism (i.e. the pouring of water while speaking the formula: “I baptize you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” That was the necessary part of the rite of baptism, All the surrounding parts of the ritual like the anointings with the oil of the Catechumens and with the Chrism, the placing of salt on the tongue, the presenting of the lighted candle, etc., etc. were omitted at the time of the baptism with water but were added/”supplied” at a later date when the child survived and was brought to church for those additional ceremonies.

The child’s name is Ludwik, the son of the legitimate marriage of Kazimierz and Jadwiga Magroski. His name appears in lines 3 & 4—“...cui n(ome)n dedi Ludovi-cus...” which is translated “...to whom I gave the name Ludwik...”Technically Ludwik did not have sponsors aka godparents since no one acted as sponsor when he was baptized while in distress. The entry records Maryanna Brilewska as being present/assisting (adstans) at the ceremony in the church. She could not be called the matrina (female sponsor/godmother) because she was not holding the child when he was actually being baptized. In the old baptismal ritual (prior to 1968) the sponsors/godparents played the most prominent adult role. Neither the father nor the mother had any liturgical role during the ceremony and often neither of the parents were present for their child’s baptism. The sponsors/godparents took care of everything at the actual baptism.

I hope that you and your family are staying healthy.

Dave
Magroski49

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:06 pm      Post subject:

[quote="dnowicki"]
Magroski49 wrote:

Hi Gilberto,

Is the current indexing project getting close to ending?

The reason why the record is not in the usual format is because the child was baptized when he was in danger of dying. However, he survived and the entry is a record of his having been brought to the parish church on 26 August, 1749 for the supplying of the ceremonies which surrounded the essential portion of baptism (i.e. the pouring of water while speaking the formula: “I baptize you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” That was the necessary part of the rite of baptism, All the surrounding parts of the ritual like the anointings with the oil of the Catechumens and with the Chrism, the placing of salt on the tongue, the presenting of the lighted candle, etc., etc. were omitted at the time of the baptism with water but were added/”supplied” at a later date when the child survived and was brought to church for those additional ceremonies.

The child’s name is Ludwik, the son of the legitimate marriage of Kazimierz and Jadwiga Magroski. His name appears in lines 3 & 4—“...cui n(ome)n dedi Ludovi-cus...” which is translated “...to whom I gave the name Ludwik...”Technically Ludwik did not have sponsors aka godparents since no one acted as sponsor when he was baptized while in distress. The entry records Maryanna Brilewska as being present/assisting (adstans) at the ceremony in the church. She could not be called the matrina (female sponsor/godmother) because she was not holding the child when he was actually being baptized. In the old baptismal ritual (prior to 1968) the sponsors/godparents played the most prominent adult role. Neither the father nor the mother had any liturgical role during the ceremony and often neither of the parents were present for their child’s baptism. The sponsors/godparents took care of everything at the actual baptism.

I hope that you and your family are staying healthy.

Dave

Dear Dave,
Thank you for your translation and additional data. It was just some minutes ago I finished indexing the baptismal records of my ancestral parish. Marriage and death ones were already done. No more books or films available to fill the gap for a few years, unfortunately.
Also, thanks for your concerning about our family's health. We are all fine, except for my mother,who is facing almost 100 years old, with all the problems age can bring.
A warmful 'thank you'!
Gilberto
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:08 pm      Post subject:

TedMack wrote:
Magroski49 wrote:
Hi, Dave

Gilberto

G'day Gilberto

On my reading it looks like Ludovicus (Ludwik).

Ted

Hi, Ted
Thank you for having a look at it.
Best regards,
Gilberto
Send e-mail
SpeedDemonND

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:48 pm      Post subject:

Thank you dnowicki.

I’d be grateful if you could help with me with another translation. On several death records I’ve come across, I’ve noticed a few different abbreviations for the marital status, and am wondering what they are abbreviations for and their meanings. I’m hoping a translation will help me with future records I find.

I’ve written what I believe the abbreviations are here, but numbered them in the picture for reference.

1/ mar. der. vid.
2/ vid. p. pd.
3/ maritus derelictus
4/ vidua post
5/ vidua post. pol.

Thanks again for the help.

marital status - death records.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  538.12 KB

marital status - death records.jpg

Blue

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:47 am      Post subject: Joseph Siwek - birth 1820

Hi Dave
Thank you for explanation of the occupation of custodian of the forest. It is really interesting to read. I also hope you have written a history book or two as you have an incredible amount of knowledge.

Can you please also help me with the transliteration (just recently learned that word from this forum) for the birth record of Joseph Siwek? I read it as follows:

Annus: 1820
Mensis: dito = Martius = March
Dies Baptismi = day of the baptism: 10

Infantis Nomen, Cognomen, Autus Conditio Locus Parentum Patrin ____
Anno ____ die ___ decima Martii____ baptisain infantem nomine Josephum natum die Septima _____hora quinta ____ Adalberti Siwek, inquilinus, et Hedwigi legitim___ Catholicorus.
Patrini ____ Joanis ____ et Anastacia ____ex Bodzucko

Cognomen Pagi: Bodzucko
Numerus currens = Act number for the year: 9
Statistics: Legitimate male child
Comments: ...

Joseph Siwek - birth 1820.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  703.08 KB

Joseph Siwek - birth 1820.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:16 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Found another couple of other unexpected records in Wrząca Wielka parish this week. I have no idea what the name of the Antczak child may be?

I presume you are probably in the middle of harvest time, so when time permits can you please translate.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here follow the translations of the first set of two records.

You are correct about harvest time and now fall cleanup will follow.

Dave

1798 Birth

Kielczewo Smuzne, On the 17th day of May I conditionally baptized an infant by the name of Świętosław of the legal marital union of the industrious Ludwik and Rozalia Antczuk, whose sponsors were the industrious Izydor, a shepherd, with Maryanna Klimczakowa, both from Kielczewo Smuzne.

1798 Birth
Kielczewo Smuzne, On the 29th day of July of the same (year) I baptized twins born of the legal marriage of the industrious Norbert and Maryanna and to one I gave the name Kunegunda/Kinga. Her sponsors were the well-born Jakub Rosie??ski with the well-born Antonina Carkowska(?), both from Kielczewo Smuzne. To the other I gave the name Helena and her sponsors were the upright Tomasz St???kowski with the upright Maryanna Popławska.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Found these in Rychnow parish - can you please translate when time permits.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are the death records.

Dave

1804 Death

16 December; Rychnow; Antoni Advena* died suddenly and was buried towards the west on the 18th of the same; 53 years of age; a male.

Note: Advena is not a surname but means “foreigner” i.e. a person who came to a village/parish from another place.

Death Brygida
5 March; Rychnow In the same year Brygida, the wife of the steward, died having been fortified with all the Sacraments; she was buried towards the west on the 20th of the same; age 46.

1807 death

12 November; Rychnow; an infant, Karol, two weeks old died (and) was buried towards the east.

1797 death

4/3 July; Rychnow; Marcin died after having been fortified with all the Sacraments and was buried in the cemetery towards the west; age 85
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:23 pm      Post subject:

SpeedDemonND wrote:
Thank you dnowicki.

I’d be grateful if you could help with me with another translation. On several death records I’ve come across, I’ve noticed a few different abbreviations for the marital status, and am wondering what they are abbreviations for and their meanings. I’m hoping a translation will help me with future records I find.

I’ve written what I believe the abbreviations are here, but numbered them in the picture for reference.

1/ mar. der. vid.
2/ vid. p. pd.
3/ maritus derelictus
4/ vidua post
5/ vidua post. pol.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi,

I’m not sure how much the following explanation/translation will help you with future records. The abbreviations may remain the same in future records but the words for which they stand may very well vary, especially in regard to gender. Latin is a highly inflected language in which nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives change their endings to fit the circumstances in which they are being used. Keep in mind that the columnar format records from Galicia are not prose and seldom contain complete sentences within the columns. In my opinion, the best way to describe birth & baptism, marriage, and death records of this type is that they mostly contain a series of names and a straightforward explanation of relationships exprssed with some standard abbreviations. Translation of such entries relies heavily on translating given names from their Latin version into the vernacular and of reading the vernacular surnames. A few Latin words are thrown in for good measure. I suppose that the tools one would need to understand the entries would include a Latin-English dictionary (either in print form or in an online translation source). An understanding of Latin morphology and syntax is not really necessary but some familiarity with those two elements would probably prove somewhat helpful.

If you have any questions I would gladly answer them for you.

The explanation of the abbreviations follows.

Wishing you success,

Dave

1/ mar. der. Vid. = maritus derelictae Viduae = the husband of the surviving (lit. left behind) widow
2/ vid. p. pd. = vidua post (either the first or the second letter p is redundant) defunctum = widow after (surviving) the deceased (the late)...
3/ maritus derelictus (actually is derelictae—it modifies the widow, not the husband (maritus) = the husband of the surviving (lit. left behind).
4/ vidua post = the widow after (surviving) Dymitr (Polish) Dimitri/Demetrius (English) mercenaria (a day laborer/one who works for a daily wage) refers to Katarzyna/Catherine
5/ vidua post. pol.—This entry makes no sense as written (Keep in mind that the parish priest often hired a scribe who had a modicum of knowledge of Latin to write the civil transcript of the parish register. This scribe was not very skilled.) the word vidua refers to the deceased Maria who was the widow who had survived her late husband Andrzej. The abbreviation pol. Should have been pd. However, post and pd. is redundant (as in #2). Also, Andrzej’s name should have been entered as Andream since the preposition post governs the Accusative.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Joseph Siwek - birth 1820

Blue wrote:
Hi Dave
Thank you for explanation of the occupation of custodian of the forest. It is really interesting to read. I also hope you have written a history book or two as you have an incredible amount of knowledge.

Can you please also help me with the transliteration (just recently learned that word from this forum) for the birth record of Joseph Siwek? I read it as follows:

Infantis Nomen, Cognomen, Autus Conditio Locus Parentum Patrin ____
Anno ____ die ___ decima Martii____ baptisain infantem nomine Josephum natum die Septima _____hora quinta ____ Adalberti Siwek, inquilinus, et Hedwigi legitim___ Catholicorus.
Patrini ____ Joanis ____ et Anastacia ____ex Bodzucko

Cognomen Pagi: Bodzucko
Statistics: Legitimate male child
Comments: ...

Hi blue,

This birth & baptism record comes from the year when civil transcripts in what at the time was the Grand Duchy of Posen were in the process of switching from the short paragraph style to the columnar format style. It may be useful to review the changes in records brought about by the changing political situation. Prior to the Partitions there were no civil birth, marriage, or death records kept in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Church records were used as substitutes. From the 3rd Partition until 1807 no substantial changes were made. After Napoleon’s victories over Prussia and Russia and following the treaties of Tilsit the political borders which came into being as a result of the Partitions were no longer valid. Napoleon created the Duchy of Warsaw from lands which had been seized by Prussia and Russia during the Partitions. The Duchy of Warsaw ceased to exist after Napoleon’s defeat. Land of the Duchy was transferred to Prussia and to Russia by the Congress of Vienna in 1815. The government of the Grand Duchy of Posen did not get down to the business of changing the format of civil transcripts immediately but by the end of 1820 the government had switched to the columnar format with which you are familiar in your earlier posts.

It appears that both vocabulary and endings have caused some difficulty in transcribing the Latin text of the entry, which, of course, would make the entry more difficult to translate since morphology and syntax play a much more important role in paragraph style records than they do in columnar format records. I inserted additions and corrections to your transcription in upper case letters to make them easier to notice. Of course, they should be changed to lower case letters in your final transcription.

Notice the cross in the far left column for Józef’s entry and the cross in the same column Julianna (the first entry on the page). Those crosses were most likely entered during the year 1820 and usually were used to indicate that the child died as an infant. The parish death and burial register for 1820 would be a good place to look for the actual death record.

If you would find it helpful to have a sheet with the case endings for nouns of the five Latin Declensions, let me know and I’ll post one. A bit of trivial info regarding the 5 Latin Declensions and the percentage of nouns which belong to each declension…
1st declension 21.6%
2nd declension 23.7%
3rd declension 52.6%
4th declension 1.4%
5th declension 0.7%
As you can see, familiarity with the case endings of the first three declensions would serve in good stead when transcribing and translating Latin sentences.

The corrected transcription follows.

All the best,

Dave

Infantis Nomen, Cognomen, STAtus Conditio Locus Parentum PatrinORUMQUE

Anno UT SUPRA die VERO* decima Martii IDEM baptisaVI infantem nomine Josephum natum die Septima EJUSDEM MENSIS hora quinta MATUTINA HUJUS ANNI HONESTI** Adalberti Siwek, inquilinI, et HedwigiS legitimORUM CONIUGUUM CatholicoruM. Patrini FUERE*** FRANCISCUS POŚPIECH OLIVIO et AnastaSia RADOLINA AMBO ex Bodzucko = In the year as above actually on the tenth day of March I baptized an infant by the name of Józef, born on the seventh day of the same month at the fifth hour in the early morning of this year of the legitimate Catholic marital union of the upright Wojciech Siwek, a tenant, and of Jadwiga. The sponsors were Franciszek Pośpiech, a shepherd, and Anastazja Radolina, both from Bodzucko.

Cognomen Pagi = Name of the village: Bodzucko
Statistics: Legitimate male child: CHECKED
ANIMADVERSIONES = OBSERVATIONS/Comments: BLANK

Notes: *vero = actually: a filler or throwaway word. Every language has them. Think of a valley girl who constantly adds the word “like”… “He was like so hot I was like totally freaked but I’m like so over him now…”

**honestus/upright: used to describe a farmer from a small town or a village

***fuere: the alternate version of fuerunt which is the 3rd Person Plural Perfect Indicative Active of the verb “to be”. The phrase patrini fuere or patrini fuerunt is translated as “the sponsors were...”
SpeedDemonND

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:39 pm      Post subject:

Thanks again dnowicki. Your explanations of the abbreviations are exactly what I was looking for, which was a way to understand whether the spouses were still alive or dead. This will give me an idea of what years I should be looking for their death records going forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 247 of 274

Jump to: