PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:32 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Can you please check my attempt at translation of the attached. I am unable to decipher the word between the date and the month - looks like Meq? Also not sure of the notation in the margin - is it a cause of death? There are a number of these notes in the margin for some entries. Or could it be that there was no gift/payment?

Tłokinia, record # 9.
In the year above (1795), on the 27th of March, a child died on Tuesday in the evening hours in Tłokinia, named Lukasz son of laborious Wawrzyniec and Jozefa Kurow, half a year of age whose body was buried on the 28th of March of the current year in the cemetery of the church of Tłokinia towards the Sunrise Chapel.(maybe that should be to the East of the chapel?)

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

You did a good job. There are just a very few corrections/additions needed.
1. laboriosus means industrious and was an adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant. (The old feudal system was still in place at the time.)
2. ad ortum solis (toward the rising of the sun), as you suggest, was a way of stating the direction East. East and west were described in terms of the rising (oriens, orientis) and the setting (occidens, occidentis) of the sun. These Latin terms survive in the English words Orient and Occident.
3. versus sacellum = towards the chapel. Cemeteries often had small chapels. I’m not sure what was their exact purpose. Burial rites took place at the grave and not in a chapel as they currently do in Catholic cemeteries in parts of the USA so that probably was not their purpose. Perhaps the chapel existed simply as a place for prayer.
The last part of the entry may be translated: was burried...to the East facing/towards the chapel.
4. In the right margin the cause of death is given (in lighter ink) “Ex dolore dentium” (From a pain of the teeth.) At the child’s age it probably describes teething difficulties, which, it seems to me, would have been a contributing factor rather than a direct cause of death.

The part about the chapel brought to mind a story from about a million years ago when I was in high school I had a summer job working at a Catholic Cemetery (Holy Cross in Calumet City). In those days the burial rite always took place at the grave. The casket was set on a lowering device above the grave. Cemetery workers would hang around during the prayers so that after the priest was finished and everyone left they would lower the cover onto the grave vault using ropes after the casket had been lowered into the vault. Anyway, one time I was on the crew to lower the cover and while the priest was doing the praying we were standing around under a tree just relaxing. When the priest finished the young widow started screaming “John, take me with you!” and jumped on the casket. By doing this she triggered off the lowering device and the casket started to go down. The next words out of her mouth were “Not yet, John, not yet!” It sounds like a joke but it is a true story.

So much for memories of “the good old days”. Translating Latin does call for a few laughs to relieve the monotony. .

Dave

Thanks Dave - can you confirm what the word "Meq" means? (It sits between the 27 and March.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,
The word is mensis, the Genitive Singular of mensis, mensis, m., month. What you see as “q” is actually a sign that the final letters of the word need to be supplied by the reader. The form of the word is a type of “shorthand” in which the truncated letters are presumed to be clear from the context. The line should be translated as “an infant by the name of Łukasz died on the 27th day of the month of March…” The word mensis could have been omitted in the entry without any substantial change in the meaning of the entry.
I hope this provides the answer you need.
Dave
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 1:03 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:

Hi Ted,
The word is mensis, the Genitive Singular of mensis, mensis, m., month. What you see as “q” is actually a sign that the final letters of the word need to be supplied by the reader. The form of the word is a type of “shorthand” in which the truncated letters are presumed to be clear from the context. The line should be translated as “an infant by the name of Łukasz died on the 27th day of the month of March…” The word mensis could have been omitted in the entry without any substantial change in the meaning of the entry.
I hope this provides the answer you need.
Dave

Thanks Dave, that should save me a bit of head scratching when I come across that again.

Cheers
Ted
TedMack

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:40 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I have another translation to check please. I struggled with some of the writing in 2 spots - the first at the end of the second line and the other after the birth date, can you please run your eye over these and provide some insite.

Piątek Wielki #11
In the year one thousand eight hundred and twenty six on the 30th May. A child was baptised and given the name Marianna. ??? Daughter of the legitimate union of the industrious Marcin Włodarczak and Katarzyna Durnik born on the 28th May. ??? Godparents Michal Durnik and Maryanna Nowaczka.

Cheers
Ted

B&B Marianna Wlodarczyk 1826 - record 11 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.8 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

B&B Marianna Wlodarczyk 1826 - record 11 (crop).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I have another translation to check please. I struggled with some of the writing in 2 spots - the first at the end of the second line and the other after the birth date, can you please run your eye over these and provide some insite.

Piątek Wielki #11
In the year one thousand eight hundred and twenty six on the 30th May. A child was baptised and given the name Marianna. ??? Daughter of the legitimate union of the industrious Marcin Włodarczak and Katarzyna Durnik born on the 28th May. ??? Godparents Michal Durnik and Maryanna Nowaczka.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

The words of the first struggle are “per me Adamum etc.” which can be translated as “by me, Adam etc.” The etc. contains the priest’s surname and title which should be found in the first entry on the page. Although the use of Passive Voice format is certainly legitimate it is the less common form found in Baptismal records where usually the Active Voice is used.

In the second instance the words are “of the present (month, understood—which you correctly translated as “May”) followed by “Patrini” which literally means “the sponsors”, who are commonly called “godparents”.

Keep up the good work.

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 5:32 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Piątek Wielki #11

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

The words of the first struggle are “per me Adamum etc.” which can be translated as “by me, Adam etc.” The etc. contains the priest’s surname and title which should be found in the first entry on the page. Although the use of Passive Voice format is certainly legitimate it is the less common form found in Baptismal records where usually the Active Voice is used.

In the second instance the words are “of the present (month, understood—which you correctly translated as “May”) followed by “Patrini” which literally means “the sponsors”, who are commonly called “godparents”.

Keep up the good work.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I have difficulty with the handwriting of some of the leading letters.

For the first instance I found the priest's surname in an earlier record but then it was followed by some abbreviations which I presume refer to his title - see the circled entries in the attached. I presume they could be abbreviations for 'commendarius' to say he was a pastor?? I am only guessing that the first letter of the abbr. is C?

So if I'm reading the record correctly for the second instance it actually says "=present nata", with the "=" being shorthand (for want of a better word) for "of the" and "nata" for born - born in the present month?

Cheers
Ted

Szablowski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  333.24 KB

Szablowski.jpg

Dryber

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:56 pm      Post subject: Record Translation Cont.

Hello,

Thank you Dave and Barb for helping me with the translation of the other document, that was extremely insightful. I just came across another document I need help translating. It should be a birth record for my great grandmother, however, the handwriting on this record is much more difficult to read than the other one. I am struggling to identify the correct surnames on the document for me to be confident it is about her. I will include a copy of it below. I am very grateful for all of the help I have been receiving.

Thank you,

urodzenie Rzepka Zofia.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  544.12 KB

urodzenie Rzepka Zofia.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:52 am      Post subject: Re: Record Translation Cont.

Dryber wrote:
Hello,

Thank you Dave and Barb for helping me with the translation of the other document, that was extremely insightful. I just came across another document I need help translating. It should be a birth record for my great grandmother, however, the handwriting on this record is much more difficult to read than the other one. I am struggling to identify the correct surnames on the document for me to be confident it is about her. I will include a copy of it below. I am very grateful for all of the help I have been receiving.

Thank you,

Hi D. Ryber - Ryba ,

The handwriting is definitely a trip. Even Arabic numerals are not always clear. The priest marched to the beat of his own drum in that he did not enter some of the data in the standard format. No certitude regarding all the surnames. A suggestion about a possible way to deal with surnames of the parents & grandparents would be to locate the marriage record of Andrzej & Katarzyna. There is a hint about the time frame for their marriage (10 or 11 years before the baptism depending on how you read the number). If they were married in the same parish where the baptism took place that would be the place to look for the marriage record. If the numbers at the bottom of the parents and grandparents columns are the house numbers of the grandparents that indicates that the marriage of the parents would have taken place in the parish where the baptism took place.

The translation follows.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Col. 1 N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: 6

Col. 2: 1904 Dies et Mensis = Day and Month:
Col. 2a: Nat(ivitatis) = of birth: 28/4 = 28 April
Col. 2b: Bapt(ismi) = of baptism: 16/5 = 16 May

Col. 3: N(ume)rus Domus = at house number: Appears to be checked rather than house #1

Col. 4: Nomen Baptisati = Name of person baptized: Zofia

Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica= Non-Catholic: Blank

Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 7: Thori = of the (marital) bed: Blank

Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: PATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = The name of the father and the first and surname of his parents (i.e. the paternal grandparents of the child) and his condition/status/occupation: Andrzej Rzepka, the son of Jakub and Tekla Holwinska(?) The number 40 (or 80) is likely the house number of the paternal grandparents

Col. 8b: MATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio = The name of the mother and also the first and surnames of her parents (i.e. the maternal grandparents of the child) and their condition/status/occupation: Katarzyna (maiden name????) the daughter of Wojciech and Anna Łucka(?) The number 37 is likely the house number of the maternal grandparents

Col. 9: PATRINI = Sponsors EORUM = Their
Col. 9a & b: Nomen et Cognomen et Conditio = First and Surname(s) and Condition/Occupation/ Status: Ludwina Bobrowska, Ignacy Bobrowski (Condition/Occupation/Status not entered)

Other notations:
Cop. 11 (or 10) ann.= Married 11 (or less likely 10) years, depending on what the number is. Must refer to Zofia’s parents
The midwife was Franciszka (surname ???)
The priest who baptized her was surname????
bigmakusa

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:20 pm      Post subject: Translation Request - Latin marriage record

Could you please translate the third marriage record that appears on this page from the Ladek parish

Marriage Record (14 8bris 1781, Dolany, Ladek parish, No. 3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.2 MB

Marriage Record (14 8bris 1781, Dolany, Ladek parish, No. 3).jpg

TedMack

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:10 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Can you please check my translation of the attached record. Looks like there was a locum priest for a period as it took some searching to locate this and I have difficulty with the writing. The record appears to be for March but sits between some February records. It looks like the priest has noted the location as Kiełczewek but I'm pretty sure it should be Kiełczew Smużny, as the records are from the parish of Wrząca Wielka and Kiełczewek is a village a few kilometers south in a neighbouring parish.

Anyway my best attempt at translation follows:

Record no:17 9th March. Kiełczew Smużny
I, who is mentioned above baptised an infant and named her Marianna. She was born on the 6th day of this month. She is borne of the legitimate catholic marriage of Ludwik and Rozalia Antczak, Godparents Andrzej Klimczak and ???? Paplawski of the same village.

I've included the whole page to assist with interpretation of the writing.

Cheers
Ted

B&B Marianna Antczak 1795 - record 17(2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB

B&B Marianna Antczak 1795 - record 17(2).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:51 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation Request - Latin marriage record

bigmakusa wrote:
Could you please translate the third marriage record that appears on this page from the Ladek parish

Hi,

The translation follows.

Dave

Right Margin: (Village of) Dolany

Body of Entry: On the 14th day of October 1781, after the three banns had been promulgated beforehand on Sundays in the presence of the Congregation, I, who is above, blessed the marriage contracted between the industrious* Sebastian Synowek, a bachelor from Dolany, and the industrious* Dorota, a maiden from the estate of Lądek, serfs**. The witnesses were the industrious* Bartłomiej Klocek, a półkmieć***, and the industrious* Andrzej Włodarek, and additional others from the same village.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant.
**subditos/serfs: since the form is plural it refers to both the bride and the groom.
***semicmeto: The Polish is półkmieć. There is no single English word for this term. It was one of the words used at that time for the hierarchy of peasants in terms of land they controlled and worked. A farmer of this category was at the second highest level. He was semi-self-sustaining. He was one step below a Cmeto (also spelled Cmetho)/kmieć, who was self-sustaining and often hired other peasants to help him work his farmland, and one step above a hortulanus/ ogrodnik, a peasant who had his own cottage and sufficient land for a garden and perhaps some farm animals, but no farm fields.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:56 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Can you please check my translation of the attached record. Looks like there was a locum priest for a period as it took some searching to locate this and I have difficulty with the writing. The record appears to be for March but sits between some February records. It looks like the priest has noted the location as Kiełczewek but I'm pretty sure it should be Kiełczew Smużny, as the records are from the parish of Wrząca Wielka and Kiełczewek is a village a few kilometers south in a neighbouring parish.

Anyway my best attempt at translation follows:

Record no:17 9th March. Kiełczew Smużny
I, who is mentioned above baptised an infant and named her Marianna. She was born on the 6th day of this month. She is borne of the legitimate catholic marriage of Ludwik and Rozalia Antczak, Godparents Andrzej Klimczak and ???? Paplawski of the same village.

I've included the whole page to assist with interpretation of the writing.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

You did well but for the sake of accuracy here are a few tweaks. The entry does not state that the priest named the child. What it does state is “I baptized a child by the name of Maryanna…” It is small potatoes but the parents gave the child her name. When the word nom(ine) is used it is what in grammatical terms is known as an Ablative of Specification which is used to indicate in respect to which something is or is done. It shows what the name of the child is and can best be translated as above with the phrase “by the name of”.

In the line about her birth the time she was born is included. “at the 7th hour in the early morning…”

The given name of the female sponsor aka godmother appears to be Salomea. Her name is preceded by the adjective “honesta”(upright), a term usually used to describe a farmer from a small town or village.

Keep up the good work.

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:46 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I have another translation if you can please check it - I think it is pretty flowery prose and I hope I have done it justice.

1793, 31st March
Tłokinia, #13
in the year and day above the upright Malgorzata Kurowska of the Polish Army died, Wawrzyniec heir and the most German brother gave recognition of the sacraments now protected and granted full indulgence of the impassable eternity lived about 36 years of womanhood which changed with death, whose body this very day 1st April of the current year was buried in the cemetery in Tłokinia to the north and rests in peace.

Cheers
Ted

Death Malgorzata Kura 1793 - record 13(2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.04 KB

Death Malgorzata Kura 1793 - record 13(2).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:41 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I have another translation if you can please check it - I think it is pretty flowery prose and I hope I have done it justice.

1793, 31st March
Tłokinia, #13
in the year and day above the upright Malgorzata Kurowska of the Polish Army died, Wawrzyniec heir and the most German brother gave recognition of the sacraments now protected and granted full indulgence of the impassable eternity lived about 36 years of womanhood which changed with death, whose body this very day 1st April of the current year was buried in the cemetery in Tłokinia to the north and rests in peace.

Cheers
Ted

HI Ted,

This translation requires more than a couple of tweaks. Since it is in a prose style quite different from death records usually encountered it is really not fair game for translation by anyone who has not at least completed two semesters of freshman High School Latin. I would use the analogy that being expected to translate this text would be much like a student who had missed 75% of first of the first semester of Latin I showing up on day one of the second semester and being asked to translate a document which contains many forms which he had never seen. Of course, this would not be fair.

In your translation everything up to the word Kurowska is fine. After that things get pretty dicey. In most short paragraph form records verbs appear in the Perfect Tense since they are historical records and the Perfect is the historical tense. This can lead to a false sense of security resulting in the belief that Latin verbs are pretty simple. In this record however we find two verb forms in the present tense, quiescit and quiescatque (que is an enclitic which means “and”). The forms quiescit and quiescat are both Present Tense forms of the verb quiesco, quiescere, quievi, quietum, to rest, to be still. Besides the letters i and a within the final syllable what is the difference between the two forms? The difference is Mood. The first is in the Indicative Mood and the second is in the Subjunctive Mood. In Latin there are 3 Moods—Indicative, Subjunctive, and Imperative—and 6 Tenses—Present, Imperfect, Future, Perfect. Pluperfect and Future Perfect. Added to those are the adjectival verb forms—Participles. Now all of a sudden Latin verbs switch from being rather easy to the refrain sometimes used by Latin students, “Latin killed the Romans and now it’s killing me.”

To understand some of the elements of this record it is most helpful to take into consideration the historical background. Following the Polish Russian war of 1792 which was fought in defense of the Constitution of May 3rd 1791 in January of 1793 Prussia and Russia signed a treaty of agreement regarding the territories of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth which each country would seize in the Second Partition of the Commonwealth. In October of that year deputies to the Grodno Sejm, the last Sejm of the Commonwealth, in the presence of Russian forces, agreed to the Russian and Prussian territorial demands. At the time the death record was composed was still a part of the old Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth, which explains why Malgorzata’s husband was a Polish soldier. Anyway, the reformed translation follows.

I hope that the explanation helps and increases your understanding of the Latin language.

Dave

Translation:
Left Margin: Tłokinia #13
Body of Entry: In the same year and day which is above the upright* Małgorzata Kurowska, the consort/wife of a Polish soldier, at the house of Wawrzyniec Dziedzic**, her full brother***, lying on her death bed, having been fortified with all the Sacraments and having received a Plenary Indulgence****, the woman about 36 years of age exchanged her life with/for death, whose body, also on the first day of April of the current year, having been buried in the Cemetery of the Parish Church of Tłokinia rests towards the North and may she rest in peace.

Notes: *honesta/upright: usually used to describe a farmer from a small town or a village.
**Dziedzic is the surname of her full brother and hence was also her maiden name.
***frater germanus is a full brother—a brother born of the same mother & father; soror germana is a full sister—a sister born of the same mother & father. Germanus with the capital letter refers to a member of the Germani tribe and hence in later Latin was used for a German.
****Indulgentia plenaria/Plenary Indulgence: a Catholic concept which is not likely to be familiar to Catholics born after 1960 or so since the whole idea of Indulgences has fallen into disuse after the Second Vatican Council. I doubt that I heard the phrase since I finished Catholic Grammar School many moons ago. The selling of indulgences was one of the abuses which led to Luther’s break with the Catholic Church.
Dryber

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:21 am      Post subject: Re: Record Translation Cont.

dnowicki wrote:
Dryber wrote:
Hello,

Thank you,

Hi D. Ryber - Ryba ,

The handwriting is definitely a trip. Even Arabic numerals are not always clear. The priest marched to the beat of his own drum in that he did not enter some of the data in the standard format. No certitude regarding all the surnames. A suggestion about a possible way to deal with surnames of the parents & grandparents would be to locate the marriage record of Andrzej & Katarzyna. There is a hint about the time frame for their marriage (10 or 11 years before the baptism depending on how you read the number). If they were married in the same parish where the baptism took place that would be the place to look for the marriage record. If the numbers at the bottom of the parents and grandparents columns are the house numbers of the grandparents that indicates that the marriage of the parents would have taken place in the parish where the baptism took place.

The translation follows.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Col. 1 N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: 6

Col. 2: 1904 Dies et Mensis = Day and Month:
Col. 2a: Nat(ivitatis) = of birth: 28/4 = 28 April
Col. 2b: Bapt(ismi) = of baptism: 16/5 = 16 May

Col. 3: N(ume)rus Domus = at house number: Appears to be checked rather than house #1

Col. 4: Nomen Baptisati = Name of person baptized: Zofia

Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica= Non-Catholic: Blank

Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 7: Thori = of the (marital) bed: Blank

Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: PATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = The name of the father and the first and surname of his parents (i.e. the paternal grandparents of the child) and his condition/status/occupation: Andrzej Rzepka, the son of Jakub and Tekla Holwinska(?) The number 40 (or 80) is likely the house number of the paternal grandparents

Col. 8b: MATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio = The name of the mother and also the first and surnames of her parents (i.e. the maternal grandparents of the child) and their condition/status/occupation: Katarzyna (maiden name????) the daughter of Wojciech and Anna Łucka(?) The number 37 is likely the house number of the maternal grandparents

Col. 9: PATRINI = Sponsors EORUM = Their
Col. 9a & b: Nomen et Cognomen et Conditio = First and Surname(s) and Condition/Occupation/ Status: Ludwina Bobrowska, Ignacy Bobrowski (Condition/Occupation/Status not entered)

Other notations:
Cop. 11 (or 10) ann.= Married 11 (or less likely 10) years, depending on what the number is. Must refer to Zofia’s parents
The midwife was Franciszka (surname ???)
The priest who baptized her was surname????

Thank you for the translation Dave. I will attempt to locate the other records at the parish in the village.

TedMack

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:40 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Hopefully I'm learning a lot from these translations. I think my biggest issue is not being able to make out some of the writing or being able to detect what word to expect when I can't make it out.

This is my latest attempt - can you please run your eyes over it and advise any corrections. There were a few words I just can't make out.

Begins the year of the Lord
January

Left Margin: Tłokinia #1
Body of entry: In the year ??? (could this be previous year) on the 31st December died a child named Marianna, daughter of the industrious (peasants) Antonio and Elżbieta Gralow. The young girl’s ? body was buried on the 1st January in the church cemetery of Tłokinia to the east.

Cheers
Ted

Death Marianna Grala 1794 - record 1(crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.44 KB

Death Marianna Grala 1794 - record 1(crop).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 256, 257, 258 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 257 of 274

Jump to: