PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:11 pm      Post subject:

Elzbieta,

The "age of discernment" has varied at different times in history. The Corpus Iuris Canonici in the canon immediately before the one I listed above speaks about the age of discernment/age of reason in regard to baptismal sponsors. Canon 765 reads: Ut quis sit patrinus, oportet: 1. Sit baptizatus, rationis usum assecutus et intentionem habeat id munus gerendi, which can be translated: If one would be a sponsor, it is fitting that he be baptized, has reached the (age of) the use of reason and has the intention of fulfilling this office. Then the canon I listed in the other post sets the age in years. The question of the age of reason historically was also connected to the age for the reception of the sacraments of confession and holy communion. One was to have attained the age of reason before receiving those Sacraments. In America during the time my parents and their siblings made their first communion the normal age was around 14. The year my grammar school classmates made our first communion the age went down to 7 and so some of us made our communion in first grade and others in second grade. This was the only year that happened. My younger siblings did not make their first communion until they were in third grade.

I researched the canons regarding Confirmation sponsors and marriage witnesses. The requirements for Confirmation sponsors were basically the same as those for baptismal sponsors. The 1917 Code makes no mention of requirements for marriage witnesses. The applicable canon 1094 reads: "Ea tantum matrimonia valida sunt quae contrhauntur coram parocho, vel loci Ordinario, vel sacerdote ab alterutro delegato et duobus saltem testibus." The translation is: "Only those marriages are valid which are contracted in the presence of the pastor, or the Ordinary of the place (the bishop of the diocese), or a priest delegated by either of the two and at least two witnesses." No age or gender qualifications are specified for the witnesses.

While reading the canons on marriage I found the canon which specifies the minimum ages for the bride and groom. Canon 1067 reads: Vir ante decimum sextum aetatis annum completum, mulier ante decimum quartum aetatis annum completum, matrimonium validum inire non possunt. The translation is: A man before the age of 16 complete years, a woman before the age of 14 complete years, cannot enter into a valid marriage. A further explanation states that if local law and custom sets a higher minimum age, the civil law and local custom must be followed. These ages were set not based on the age of reason but on what was considered the age of sexual maturity which was seen as coming earlier for females than for males.

An interesting area to research in regard to the age of reason would be Justinian's Corpus Iuris Civilis which forms the foundation of much of western civilization's contemporary civil law. When time permits I will see what I can find there.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:28 am      Post subject:

Gilberto,

Based on a comparison of the handwriting of the records from Raciazek you sent with the two death records posted on August 29 it is possible to determine the gender of the infants in those two death records. Both the infant in the 1773 record and the infant in the 1790 record were males. The 1790 death record is for the death of Wojciech who was born on April 8 and baptized on April 10, 1788.

Dave
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:51 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Gilberto,

Based on a comparison of the handwriting of the records from Raciazek you sent with the two death records posted on August 29 it is possible to determine the gender of the infants in those two death records. Both the infant in the 1773 record and the infant in the 1790 record were males. The 1790 death record is for the death of Wojciech who was born on April 8 and baptized on April 10, 1788.

Dave

Thank you, Dave.

I was about to ask if you have had enough material for a comparison.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:12 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

Would you help a friend of mine with this record? I could not understand the word after the priest's surname, and also what it states about groom and bride.

Thank you,
Gilberto

Skoki_M_1883a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  333.26 KB
 Viewed:  7431 Time(s)

Skoki_M_1883a.jpg

Skoki_M_1883b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  391.66 KB

Skoki_M_1883b.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:30 am      Post subject:

Gilberto,

The word after the surname of the priest is praepositus which indicates that he was the pastor of the parish. It is the word frequently used for the pastor of a parish which was staffed by priests of a religious order as opposed to secular or diocesan priests. Literally it means an ecclesiastical superior or religious prior but for all practical purposes it simply indicates that he was the pastor of the parish. The word after the name of the groom is murarius which gives his occupation---he was a bricklayer. The word after the name of the bride is ancilla which again gives her occupation which was a maid or handmaiden. The next column lists the groom and bride as juvenis and virgo (single young man and maiden) which states that neither had been married previously. The groom's age is 28 and the bride's age is 32 and both are Catholics. The next columns lists the names of the parents of the groom and of the bride. The following column deals with the legalities of permission from the civil authorities of Skoki for the marriage to take place with the date of the license as November 23, 1883. The following column gives the dates that the banns were announced on the 24th, 25th, and 26th Sundays after Pentecost. The next column states that no dispensations were needed for the marriage and the final entries are the names of the witnesses.

Hope this info helps your friend.

Dave
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:46 pm      Post subject:

Please help me translate this note written in Latin under an 1829 death record.

1829-note.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.13 KB

1829-note.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 pm      Post subject:

The 1829 notation is simply a reference to an act/document from the civil authority listed as "Dto. 19ma Maii (1)829 Nro. 5597" which is translated as "Given on the 19th of May (1)829 Number 5597." Everything else in the note simply leads up to the naming of the document/act without stating anything about the nature of the said act/document. This type of notation is commonly found in marriage records of the time period indicating the civil authority's permission for the marriage to take place. I suppose that one could speculate that a document attached to a death/burial record could indicate either a civil death certificate or burial permit number. Since as you probably noticed the first part of the notation contains a proper name as well as the name of a place and the notation also contains many abbreviations and contractions of Latin words. Without being able to view the record to which this notation is attached, the time and effort to determine the meaning of the proper nouns and of the abbreviations and contractions in this notation would prove to be more an exercise in frustration than a source of enlightenment. However, I can assure you that what leads up to the naming of the act/document deals with legalities and provides no useful information about the death or burial of the deceased. Perhaps if you could locate the document/act listed the civil record may possibly contain information of value...or not.
JS2985
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:25 pm      Post subject: Bartkowicz/Cichon Marriage

I’m attaching the marriage record for my great grandparents Thomas Bartkowicz and Victoria Cichon (#6). Although I can make out most of the information, I want to be sure I’m not missing something and have a couple of questions. What does the “et” mean before Thomas’ mothers name? Also, do you think her maiden name is Magdziacz? Between Victoria’s parents names there is something written and I have no clue what it is and if it is in reference to her mother or father. And does the “agr” after the witnesses mean they were farmers?
Thanks for your help,
Joann

Bartkowicz, Thomas and Victoria Cichon Marriage - Copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.5 MB

Bartkowicz, Thomas and Victoria Cichon Marriage - Copy.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:26 am      Post subject: Re: Bartkowicz/Cichon Marriage

JS2985 wrote:
I’m attaching the marriage record for my great grandparents Thomas Bartkowicz and Victoria Cichon (#6). Although I can make out most of the information, I want to be sure I’m not missing something and have a couple of questions. What does the “et” mean before Thomas’ mothers name? Also, do you think her maiden name is Magdziacz? Between Victoria’s parents names there is something written and I have no clue what it is and if it is in reference to her mother or father. And does the “agr” after the witnesses mean they were farmers?
Thanks for your help,
Joann

Joann,

Dave Nowicki will certainly explain you Latin, I would like to bring your attention to the shape of letter "r" in Polish vs Latin or French.
In this example you have on the left: October, supra = above, and hort. - hortulani = today gardener; and on the right: Warszawie = in Warsaw (Warszawa in nominative), wieczorem = in the evening (wieczór is nominative)

I read Thomas' mother maiden name Magdziarz, not "cz" at the end (you can see the shape of c in Tecla).

Latin "et" is identical to French "et" = and.

Best,
Elzbieta

Letter-r-handwritten-in-Polish-and-Latin.jpg
 Description:
On the left side letter "r" handwritten in Latin or French languages: October, supra, hort. (hortulani)
On the right side letter "r" handwritten in Polish: Warszawie, wieczorem
 Filesize:  14.55 KB

Letter-r-handwritten-in-Polish-and-Latin.jpg

JS2985
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:04 am      Post subject:

Thank you Elzbieta, this information will be very helpful as I start to go through the other records I have.
Joann
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 am      Post subject:

Joann,

I will provide a translation of the record later today after I take care of some appointments. In order to be sure of the meanings of all the numbers in the various columns I would appreciate it if you could post a copy of the top of the page which should give the headings of the columns. I can guess what the numbers refer to but it would be better to know what information the columns are intended to list.

Thanks,

Dave
JS2985
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:38 am      Post subject: Bartkowicz/Cichon Marriage

Hi Dave,
Attached is a copy of the top of the page as you requested.
Thank you,
Joann

Bartkowicz, Thomas and Victoria Cichon Marriage - Copy (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB

Bartkowicz, Thomas and Victoria Cichon Marriage - Copy (2).jpg

JS2985
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:49 am      Post subject: Cichon/Podraza Marriage

Hi Dave,
Could you also take a look at # 2 on this one. I am especially curious about the notation at the bottom of the entry.
Thanks,
Joann

Cichon, John and Maria Podraza Marriage - Copy (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.51 MB

Cichon, John and Maria Podraza Marriage - Copy (2).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:22 pm      Post subject:

Joann,

This first post will be for the marriage of Tomasz & Wiktoria. The marriage of Jan & Maryanna will follow in a separate post. The headings for the columns are similar for the two records but not identical.

1901 Marriage of Tomasz Bartkiewicz & Wiktoria Cichon:

Col. 1: Numerus ordinalis = ordinal number (number of marriage in order) = 6
Col. 2: Dies et mensis copulationis = Day and month of the marriage = October 2 (The year, 1901, appears at the top of the column.)
The next major division Sponsus = Groom and the following columns record information about him
Col. 3: Numerus domus = House Number = 22 (The house where the groom resided.)
Col. 4: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus locus nativitatis ac habitationis = His (the groom's) and his parents' first and last names and state of life/occupation; also his place of birth and residence = Thomas Bartkiewicz fil(ius) Josephi et Juliae n(ata) Magdziacz or Magdziarz 17/1/1875 = Tomasz Bartkiewicz, the son of Jozef and Julia born Magdziacz or Magdziarz followed by the date of birth of Tomasz, January 17, 1875. (The priest did not enter any of the other information listed in the heading of the column.
Col. 5: Religio = Religion Col 5a: Catholica = Catholic, checked; Col. 5b: aut alia = or other, blank
Col. 6: Aetas = Age = 26
Col. 7: Caelebs = bachelor, checked
Col. 8: Vidus = widower, blank
The next major division, Sponsa contain information about the bride
Col. 9: Numerus Domus = House Number = 104
Col. 10: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus locus nativitatis ac habitationis = Her (the bride's) and her parents' first and last names and their state of life/occupation; also her place of birth and residence = Victoria fil(ia) Joannis Cichon, hort(ulan)i et Mariannae n(atae) Podraza 1/4/1877 = Wiktoria, the daughter of Jan Cichon, a gardener and Maryanna born Podraza. Wiktoria's date of birth follows: April1, 1877. (The priest did not enter any of the other information listed in the column heading.
Col. 11: Religio = Religion Col. 11a: Catholica = Catholic, checked; Col. 11b: aut alia = or other, blank
Col. 12: Aetas = Age =24
Col. 13: Caelebs = bachelorette, checked
Col. 14: Vidua = widow, blank
Next division, Testes , contains information about the two official witnesses
Col. 15 & 16: Eorum nomen et cognomen; conditio = Their first and last names and their state of life/occupation = Jacobus Cichon, Gregorius Kujawski, agr(icolae) = Jakub Cichon, Grzegorz Kujawski, farmers
The final entry reads: Copul(avit) qui supra Paroch(us) = The pastor as above blessed the marriage

Please note that the terms hortulanus and agricola have a meaning which is particular to the Polish territories which had been partitioned. Hortulanus is a gardener but not in the sense of someone who was employed in that occupation which today might be called a landscaper. There was a social and economic hierarchy among the peasants and both hortulanus and agricola specify classes of peasants. A hortulanus was a peasant who owned his cottage and enough land for a garden and perhaps for the keeping of some animals but did not own farm fields. An agricola was a peasant farmer who owned his cottage and farm fields who could be called a farmer-owner. The house numbers listed give the "addresses" of the parties at that time.

Catholic Church law required that for validity the marriage consent of the two parties had to be expressed in the presence of a priest and two witnesses. Today the two official witnesses would be the best man and the maid/maiden of honor. At that time, although Canon Law did not specify the gender of the witnesses, the custom was that the two official witnesses were both male. They were not present to give any testimony but simply to witness the verbal consent of the bride and groom to the marriage.

The other record will follow in a separate post.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:31 pm      Post subject:

Joann,

Here is the record for the Chicon-Podraza marriage.

Marriage #2 for the year 1876.

Col. 1: Mensis = Month = Febr(uarius) 7 = February 7
First major division: Sponsus = Groom (The following columns contain his information.)
Col. 2: Numerus Domus 44 = House number 44
Col. 3: Nomen = Name: Joannes Cichon f(ilius) Stanisl(ai) et Catharinae Stec nat(us) et hab(itans) in Dabrowka = Jan Cichon, the son Stanislaw and Katarzyna nee Stec, born and residing in Dabrowka
Col. 4: Religio = Religion Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic, checked; Col. 4b: aut alia = or other, blank
Col. 5: Aetas 24 = Age 24
Col. 6: Caelebs = bachelor, checked
Col. 7: Vidus = widower, blank
Division for Sponsa (Bride)
Col. 8: Nomen = Name: Marianna Podraza f(ilia) Josephi et Theclae Laniecka (?) in Dabrowka nata et habitans = Maryanna Podraza, the daughter of Jozef and Tekla nee Laniecka (?), born and residing in Dabrowka
Col. 9: Religio = Religion; Col. 9a: Catholica =Catholic, checked; Col. 9b: aut alia = or other, blank
Col. 10: Aetas 22 = Age 22
Col. 11: Caelebs = single woman, checked
Col. 12: Vidua = widow, blank
Division 3: Testes = Witnesses; Nomen et Conditio = Name and state of life/occupation: Mathias Socka (?), Antonius Satowski hortulani e Dabr(owka) = Maciej Socka(?), Antoni Satowski, (both) gardeners from Dabr(owka) cf. note on meaning of hortulanus in previous post.
Note at the bottom of entry: The notation is in Polish and it states: I,the undersigned grant my permission to my daughter Maryanna to enter into marriage with Jan Cichon. (Signed): xxx Jozef Podraza, father. Please note that Jozef did not actually sign but gave verbal permission, most likely because he was illiterate. The xxx indicate that the priest entered Jozef's name. The final line of the record is: Benedixit Josephus Ogonkiewicz = Jozef Ogonkiewicz blessed (this marriage).

A short note which does not apply to this marriage: In the first entry on the page the witnesses state of life/occupation is listed as "cmetho". The word cmtho (also sometimes spelled cmeto) designates a self sustaining peasant farmer who often hired others to work for/with him on his land. Agricola in later records is similar but not necessarily identical to cmetho.

Hope you find the translated information useful.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 7 of 274

Jump to: