PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 am      Post subject: Word or part of name...?

"née" as in Anna née Gajda
Thks,
Ed in TEXAS
ecltwo

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 am      Post subject: "née" Found it via Google...

née
/nā/

adjective

originally called; born (used especially in adding a woman's maiden name after her married name).
"Mary Toogood, née Johnson"
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Word or part of name...?

ecltwo wrote:
"née" as in Anna née Gajda
Thks,
Ed in TEXAS

Ed,

I’m not sure what exactly you are asking but if it is where the née is found in the Latin text which Elżbieta translated for you I’ll provide a literal word for word translation of the text with an explanation how this simple Latin holds together. As I mentioned previously, the headings found in the certificate are bilingual. Elżbieta typed the Cyrillic heading. Below the Cyrillic heading is the Latin version of the heading. It reads: “Parentes et conditio eorum” which literally means: “The parents and the status/condition/occupation of them” or in better English,”The parents and their status/condition/occupation.

The first entry reads: “Jacobus Repko filius Adalberti et Euphemiae Kozak agr(icolae)* loci which is literally translated as “Jakub Repko, the son of Wojciech (Repko is understood**) and of Eufemia Kozak**, a farmer of (this) place.

The second part of the entry reads “Maria filia Josephi Jarzyński et Annae natae*** Gajda, agr(colae) loci.” It can be translated literally as “Maria, the daughter of Józef Jarzyński and of Anna born*** Gajda, a farmer of (this) place.

Notes: *Although a case can be made for the abbreviation “agr.” standing for the plural “agricolorum”, about 95% of the time when the abbreviation is written in full it appears in the singular “agricolae”. In the singular it stands in apposition to the father. In the plural it would stand in apposition to both the father and the mother.

**Kozak is her maiden name and, of course, the father would use the surname of his father and thus Repko is understood.

***natae is a participle, which, of course, is a verbal adjective. Natae modifies Annae and means “born” (urodzona, in Polish). Née is a common English usage meaning “born” when it appears before a woman’s maiden name. Natae is the Latin word which Elżbieta translated as née.

Both Latin and Polish are inflected languages, which means that the way a noun, pronoun, etc. is used in a sentence is determined by the Case Ending used. English is not an inflected language, although remnants of Case Endings are still found in some pronouns (e. g. who [Nominative/Subject], whose [Genitive/Possession], and whom [Dative/Indirect Object] and Accusative/Direct Object]. All this may sound very foreign to anyone not familiar with an inflected language but a person who speaks a language like Polish immediately and intuitively understands what is going on with the changes of the Latin Case Endings. Thus, a Polish speaker easily understands that in the first entry written in the Polish of the 19th Century “Jakub Repko, syn Wojciecha i Eufemii z Kozaków, rolnika (tego) miejsca [or if the abbreviation is interpreted as plural, rolników (tego) miejsca] is the same as the Latin. Both the Polish and the Latin use the same grammatical structure, i. e. Cases, for nouns.

This is certainly a lot more than you ever wanted to know but there is no question so simple that it does not deserve a long and complex answer.

I hope that some part of this explanation actually touches the question you wanted to ask.

Dave
ossnhughie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:38 am      Post subject: Translation of Baptism record Anna Rogowicz?

Hello. Here is a short form Latin baptism record of the sister of one direct ancestors from 1800 in Jewie parish.

It is the bottom entry. I believe the priests who served this parish might have been Dominicans.

Warm regards,

Hugh

1800 Anna Rogowicz baptism daug. of Jan and Marcianna Rogowicz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  292.21 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1800 Anna Rogowicz baptism daug. of Jan and Marcianna Rogowicz.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation of Baptism record Anna Rogowicz?

ossnhughie wrote:
Hello. Here is a short form Latin baptism record of the sister of one direct ancestors from 1800 in Jewie parish.

It is the bottom entry. I believe the priests who served this parish might have been Dominicans.

Warm regards,

Hugh

Hugh

Here is the translation of the B & B Record. Hope it helps you.

Dave

(Village of) Piwoycie
In the Year of Our Lord 1800 on the 15th (or 16th) day of October I, Cyprian Myszkowski, O. P. *, baptized a child by the name of Anna, born on the 10th day of this (month & year) of the legitimate Catholic marriage of the father Jan Rogowicz and of Marcjanna née Czechowiczowna**. Those lifting her up from the Sacred Font*** (were) Tomasz Siedlicki with Anna Słodkiewiczowa****.

Notes: *O.P. = Order of Preachers, the official title of the Dominican Order
**After dropping the feminine suffix the surname is Czechowicz
***Those lifting up… is a circumlocution for sponsors
****After dropping the feminine suffix the surname is Słodkiewicz
ossnhughie

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:13 pm      Post subject:

Thank You Dave.

Have a great day. I am glad my memory about the Dominican Orer serving this parish was correct.

Hugh

Send e-mail
wavydave

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:09 am      Post subject: Name? Term?

I'm curious what the name or term is between my great-grandfather's name in two records here and if it has any special significance. I only know his name as "Leo Borowski", but there's a middle name or term here I've not seen in any other church records.

I thought it might be a middle name, but I see the same name listed in the attached entry for my great-uncle, Kasper Borowski as well.

I have some church records (but not all) that identify Leo and Kasper as being szlachta, wonder if the name/term is connected to that possibility?

Thanks in advance.

Screen-Shot-2017-11-15-at-6.51.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  474.16 KB

Screen-Shot-2017-11-15-at-6.51.jpg

Screen-Shot-2017-11-15-at-6.49.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  429.98 KB

Screen-Shot-2017-11-15-at-6.49.jpg

Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:39 am      Post subject: Re: Name? Term?

wavydave wrote:
I'm curious what the name or term is between my great-grandfather's name in two records here and if it has any special significance. I only know his name as "Leo Borowski", but there's a middle name or term here I've not seen in any other church records.

I thought it might be a middle name, but I see the same name listed in the attached entry for my great-uncle, Kasper Borowski as well.

I have some church records (but not all) that identify Leo and Kasper as being szlachta, wonder if the name/term is connected to that possibility?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
just guessing: there was a polish site about names and nicknames that was called Skarbczyk. Now, the word I see in your recors seems to be 'skarbek' which could have the same root for Skarbczyk. If so, then it would something related to a nickname your ancestors used. Dave, help us!

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Name? Term?

Magroski49 wrote:
wavydave wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
just guessing: there was a polish site about names and nicknames that was called Skarbczyk. Now, the word I see in your recors seems to be 'skarbek' which could have the same root for Skarbczyk. If so, then it would something related to a nickname your ancestors used. Dave, help us!

Gilberto

Wavydave & Gilberto,

The word “Skarbek” is obviously not Latin so I can only provide an educated guess about its place and use in the record. Much of what follows is based on linguistics but the speculation on the exact reason it appears in the record is a list of possible reasons/explanations. It is up to you to choose the reasoning you feel best explains why the word is there or to come up with a better explanation.

Gilberto, your guess that Skarbek and skarbczyk come from the same root is correct. The root word is “skarb” which means “treasure”. Skarbczyk means “jewel box” (hence the site is a “jewel box” of Polish names). Skarbek is a surname still found in Poland (cf. Screenshot) but as a common noun it would be the diminutive of “skarb”. Diminutives, when used with given names, express familiarity and informality (e.g. Dawidek is a diminutive of Dawid and can be considered the equivalent of Dave or Davy in English). Diminutives, when used with common nouns, usually express the idea that the thing or place is smaller in relation to the full-sized version of the thing. An example which comes to mind is “domek” (from dom). Since dom means “house” a domek would be a small house. (If one were to write a Polish review of “The Little House On the Prairie”, one could use “domek” for “little house” rather than using something like “mały dom”.) As a common noun, “skarbek” would signify “little treasure” or “small treasure”.

Wavydave, I can’t say whether or not Skarbek appears in the record in connection with their sometimes description as szlachta, although the word does have an upper crust connotation. Another possibility is that it is a “nickname” used to distinguish this Leo/Leon and this Kacper Borowski from other hypothetical Leo and Kacper Borowskis living in the area at that time. I’ve seen that in records from Poland but not from Galicia and not from the 19th Century. The occupations listed for the two brothers would seem to indicate that if they were szlachta, they were part of the impoverished szlachta who earned their daily bread by working in occupations in which peasants also worked.

Leo is a tector ( roofer, plastered, tile setter) which is a skilled occupation. (c.f. my earlier post: “The status/condition/occupation of the father (Antoni) is tector, tectoris which has several meanings. He was a roofer or a plasterer or a tiler. The root of the word is tectum which means “roof” or “ceiling”, and is a substantive from the perfect participle of the verb tego, tegere, texi, tectum which means “to cover”. Hence the three occupations which all involve “covering”.) Kacper’s occupation is either unskilled or semi-skilled. He is described as a “sator” which is a “sower” (Polish: siewca). Neither occupation seems to have any connection to “skarbek”.

Another possible (but probably off the wall) explanation is that Skarbek could have been the maiden name of their mother. This was/is a rather common practice among the “English” in the US where the mother's maiden name became the child's middle name, but whether is/was ever used in Poland is beyond the scope of my knowledge.

This unsatisfying answer gives no definite answer to the question, but suggests some possibilities.

Wising you success in your research,

Dave Nowicki

Screenshot-2017-11-15 Geograficzny podział nazwisk Skarbek w Polsce ? Moikrewni pl.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.24 KB

Screenshot-2017-11-15 Geograficzny podział nazwisk Skarbek w Polsce ? Moikrewni pl.png

wavydave

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 pm      Post subject:

Very interesting. Thanks Dave and Gilberto, your help is very much appreciated.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:43 am      Post subject:

Please help me translate this 1920 death record for Mikolaj Bogdanski from Homrzyska Poland (Nawojowa parish). I'm mainly interested in what the cause of death was, and what some of the extra notes mean. Thanks.

1920-d.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.8 KB

1920-d.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:11 am      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Please help me translate this 1920 death record for Mikolaj Bogdanski from Homrzyska Poland (Nawojowa parish). I'm mainly interested in what the cause of death was, and what some of the extra notes mean. Thanks.

Starshadow,

The top notation is of no particular import since it is only record housekeeping which states that the dean (dziekan) of the deanery (dekenat) fulfilled his duty and examined the register.

In lay terminology the death was caused by heart problems/a heart attack. Since his death was sudden there was no opportunity for him to have received the Sacraments as a preparation for death.

Anyway, here is the translation.

Hoping that you find it helpful,

Dave

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order:7
Col. 2: Top: Year: (1920)
Col. 2a: Dies et Mensis obitus = Day and Month of death: September 1
Col. 2b: Dies et Mensis sepulturae = Day and Month of burial: September 3
Col. 3: N(ume)rus domus obitus = House Number of the death: 2
Col. 4: Nomen, cognomen et conditio mortui = The first and the surname and the condition/ status/occupation of the deceased: Mikołaj Bogdanski, a farmer, a widower after the late Anastazja Klimczak
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Masculini = Male: Checked
Col. 6b: Fominini = Female: Blank
Col. 7: Dies Vitae = Days of Life (i.e. age): 61
Col. 8: Morbus et qualitas mortis = Disease/Illness and type of death: Vitium cordis = a defect/fault/disease of the heart
Col. 9: ADNOTATIO Qui confessionis capatium et cur SS non provisi Nrus et datum schedae revisionis aut obductionis medicae etcetera = NOTATION Those who are capable of confessinng and why the Most Holy Sacraments were not provided. The Number and date of the certificate (literally: sheet) of review or medical attendance etc.: Sch. 2/9 = Certificate of medical review dated September 2; Non provisus (Sanctis Sacramentis) ob repentinam mortem = Not fortified (by the Holy Sacraments) because of a sudden death.

Notation at top: Reviewed in the deanery visitation on June 8, 1920...signature of the dean (Polish dziekan). This notation refers to previous entries and was entered before Mikołaj’s death.

Notation at bottom: Józef Adamczyk buried (him).
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:42 am      Post subject:

Great, thanks Dave!

Here's another death record from 1841. This one is for Mathias Bogdanski. He lived in the main village of Nawojowa parish. His wife at the time was Agnes Dutka.

I realize this one might be a lot harder to read. But can you make out his cause of death? And does it mention his occupation?

1841-d.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.89 KB

1841-d.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 am      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Great, thanks Dave!

Here's another death record from 1841. This one is for Mathias Bogdanski. He lived in the main village of Nawojowa parish. His wife at the time was Agnes Dutka.

I realize this one might be a lot harder to read. But can you make out his cause of death? And does it mention his occupation?

Starshadow,

The copy is more difficult to read and I'm not able to determine the letters of the word in the last column, although I was able to read everything else. It may help me to figure out the last column if you would kindly post an image of the headings for the page.

Thanks,

Dave
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 pm      Post subject:

Okay sorry Dave. Here's the full page.

1841-full.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  431.59 KB

1841-full.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 137, 138, 139 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 138 of 274

Jump to: