PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:41 am      Post subject: Re: Translation help Please?

Kurt1322 wrote:
Could someone please be so kind as to assist me with this translation of Marriage record for Andream kostecki? sorry for the double pic. iI don't know how to delete.

Hi,

As a general rule of thumb, records of Catholics from the 18th Century and earlier were almost always in Latin. There was no civil registration system and Church baptismal and marriage records were accepted as proof of age and marital status, etc. Since Latin was the official language of the R.C. Church the records were kept in that language. Given names appear in the records in their Latin version and surnames in the vernacular. No one used the Latin version of a given name. In the translation of the record given names are translated into Polish since that was obviously the vernacular of the individuals involved.

Most of the info in the entry is record housekeeping which lists the various legal requirements that were fulfilled before and during the wedding rite.

Hope you find the following translation useful.

Dave

Top of Entry: (Village of) Zbyszewice

Body of Entry: On the 24th day of November in the year 1785, I, the same who (is named) above, after the three banns had been proclaimed on three consecutive Sundays in the presence of the people gathered for the Divine Rites (i.e. Sunday Mass), and since no canonical impediment had been discovered, questioned the industrious* Andrzej Kostecki and Katarzyna Kołodziejonka** and after having heard their mutual consent, joined (them) by words in the present marriage rite from the Ritual of the Holy Roman (Catholic) Church (and) blessed them in the presence of the witnesses Wojciech Bardziński, a brewer, and also Jan Ukior from the village of Zbyszewice of this parish.

Notes: *laboriosos/industrious: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.
**The suffix -onka designated a woman as “the daughter of...”(In this case of Kołodziej). In contemporary usage her maiden name simply would be Kołodziej.
crispm28
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 133

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:23 pm      Post subject: Marriage Record

Hello, I am looking for a translation of second entry which I believe to be marriage record of Piotr Madura and Zofia Zima
Thank you in advance.
Christine

Madura Piotr_Zima Sophia m. 11-13-1872.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  361.22 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Madura Piotr_Zima Sophia m. 11-13-1872.JPG

kalinke

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:30 am      Post subject:

Hello all!

I have several scans from my family documents and I'm really trying to understand our history as nobody knows exactly where we are from. If anybody could help I would appreciate very much.

Certid?o de nascimento_anna.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  501.73 KB

Certid?o de nascimento_anna.jpg

Certid?o de nascimento_alexius.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  509.92 KB

Certid?o de nascimento_alexius.jpg

Certid?o de casamento.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  521.58 KB

Certid?o de casamento.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record

crispm28 wrote:
Hello, I am looking for a translation of second entry which I believe to be marriage record of Piotr Madura and Zofia Zima
Thank you in advance.
Christine

Christine,

Here is the translation. Hope you find it useful.

Dave

Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): 10
Col. 2: Year (at top): 1872
Dies et Mensis copulationis: Day and Month of marriage: November 13
Col. 3: Sponsus = Groom
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 111
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time his place of birth and residence: Piotr Madura, the son of Jan and of Maryanna nee Jazwicz, a sower/planter.
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 27
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 4: Sponsa = Bride
Col. 4a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 124
Col. 4b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item ejus nativitatis locus et habitationis = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time her place of birth and residence: Zofia Zima, the daughter of Antoni and of Regina nee Ziolo.
Col. 4c: Religio = Religion
Col. 4c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 4d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 17
Col. 4d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4d Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES (and) Their
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: Józef Król & illegible given and surname
Col. 5b: Conditio = Condition/state of life/occupation: illegile abbreviation

Latin Notation: I, Stani(sław) Widalski, the curate, blessed this marriage.

Polish Notation: As I grant permission to my underage daughter Zofia to enter into the bonds I sign (with my mark) in the presence of the witnesses +Marcin Tazborek(?), +Józef Krol, +(illegible given name) Madura.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 pm      Post subject:

kalinke wrote:
Hello all!

I have several scans from my family documents and I'm really trying to understand our history as nobody knows exactly where we are from. If anybody could help I would appreciate very much.

Hi,

The area where your family lived had been part of Poland prior to the Partitions of Poland. From 1772 until after WWI the area was ruled by Austria and was part of Galicia. During the period between WWI and WWII it was part of the Republic of Poland. After WWII until the present time it is and has been part of Ukraine. Most of the research would need to be done in Ukraine.

Here is a translation of the marriage certificate. Given names are translated into Polish. The baptismal certificates will follow as time permits.

Hope that this helps.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Translation of Marriage Certificate:

The Republic of Poland; Archdiocese of Lwów (currently: Lviv)
Wojewodztwo (Province): Blank; Number 81/29; Deanery: Jezierna
Powiat (County): Tarnopol; Parish: Mszanec

Certificate of Marriage

On behalf of the parish office of the Greek (Eastern) Rite Catholic Churchof Saint Michael it is made known that in the Marriage Register of this church Volume 5, Page 70 is found the following:

Col. I:Year, Month and Day of the Marriage: In the Year of Our Lord 1924 (both in words & in numbers) on the 21st day of October.

Col. 2: The Groom
Col. 2a: House Number: Mszaniec 108
Col. 2b: Name: Aleksy Pawłusyk, the son of Mikołaj and Natalia nee Syrotiuk(?), farmers from Mszaniec.
Col. 2c: Religion: Greek Catholic
Col. 2d: Age: (Date of birth is entered): January 1, 1899
Col. 2e: Bachelor or Widower: Bachelor

Col. 3: The Bride
Col. 3a Name. Anna Łucyk, the daughter of Piotr and of Katarzyna nee Rausaniuk(?), farmers from Mszaniec
Col. 3 b: Religion: Greek Catholic
Col. 3c: Age: (Date of birth is entered): Septeber 18, 1902
Col. 3d: Single or Widow: Single

Col. 4: Witnesses, Names & Status: Tymoteusz Mowz(?) & Bazyli Ma????, farmers of this place

Eustachy Skow??? blessed this marriage.

Which testimonials I sign with my own hand and certify with the parish seal

Mszaniec, on the 18th day of July 1929

Signature: Rev. Teodor L?????, pastor.
wavydave

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:36 am      Post subject: Leo Borowski marriage record

I'd like to know what the words immediately after Leo Borowski's name are (before "filius"). I'd also like the bottom of the record translated please. Thanks in advance--your help is greatly appreciated!

leo_borowski_marriage_GC_kociubince_oct5_1873.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.6 MB

leo_borowski_marriage_GC_kociubince_oct5_1873.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:20 am      Post subject: Re: Leo Borowski marriage record

wavydave wrote:
I'd like to know what the words immediately after Leo Borowski's name are (before "filius"). I'd also like the bottom of the record translated please. Thanks in advance--your help is greatly appreciated!

Dave,

The words are “miles ad tempus dimissus” which mean “a temporarily discharged soldier”. The same words begin the notation at the bottom of the record.

The notation at the bottom of the entry is translated: “(The groom) a temporarily discharged soldier; the underage bride with judicial consent of the court at Kopyczyn* on the 3rd day of October, 1873, Number 5100(?). Holin???, the pastor, joined them in marriage.

Note: * I’m not familiar with the geography of the record so Kopyczyn is just an educated guess. The Latin is Kopyczynensis. The usual method to convert the adjectival place name is to drop the -ensis. Sometimes the actual place name contains a vowel which should be restored. Since you are familiar with the geography you should be able to determine the place name with more accuracy than I can. Usually the court would be located in town relatively near the village where the parish was located.

In my opinion, “a temporarily discharged soldier” usually means that he completed his active duty and was discharged to the reserves. It was unusual for a soldier on active duty to have permission from his military superiors to marry.

The instantia judicalis/judicial court consent for the underage bride was usually granted by what was known as “instantia pupillaris” and was the court which delt with orphans and minors and thus was probably the court which granted permission for the bride to marry.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dave
wavydave

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Leo Borowski marriage record

dnowicki wrote:

Dave,

The words are “miles ad tempus dimissus” which mean “a temporarily discharged soldier”. The same words begin the notation at the bottom of the record.

The notation at the bottom of the entry is translated: “(The groom) a temporarily discharged soldier; the underage bride with judicial consent of the court at Kopyczyn* on the 3rd day of October, 1873, Number 5100(?). Holin???, the pastor, joined them in marriage.

Note: * I’m not familiar with the geography of the record so Kopyczyn is just an educated guess. The Latin is Kopyczynensis. The usual method to convert the adjectival place name is to drop the -ensis. Sometimes the actual place name contains a vowel which should be restored. Since you are familiar with the geography you should be able to determine the place name with more accuracy than I can. Usually the court would be located in town relatively near the village where the parish was located.

In my opinion, “a temporarily discharged soldier” usually means that he completed his active duty and was discharged to the reserves. It was unusual for a soldier on active duty to have permission from his military superiors to marry.

The instantia judicalis/judicial court consent for the underage bride was usually granted by what was known as “instantia pupillaris” and was the court which delt with orphans and minors and thus was probably the court which granted permission for the bride to marry.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dave

Fascinating, thanks again for this. The village is no doubt Kopyczyńce based on my family research. Truly, greatly appreciated, Dave!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 pm      Post subject: Translation of Birth & Baptism Certificate

Roger,

Here is a copy of the translation you requested together with a copy of the certificate.

The village of Kleszczowna was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Naradów) prior to the Partitions of Poland. From 1772 until after WWI the area was within Galicia, a part of the Austrian Empire. From WWI until WWII it was part of the Republic of Poland. It is now part of Ukraine. Since I do not read Ukrainian I was not able to verify all the geographical locations named in the certificate.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: The Republic of Poland
Województwo (Province): Stanisławów
Powiat (County): Rohatyn
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 43
Right Side: Archdiocese: Greek Catholic Lwow
Dekenat (Deanery): Narajowo(?)
Parish: Kleszczowna

Certificate of birth and of baptism

On behalf of the parish office of the Greek (Eastern) Rite of the Church of Saint (illegible name) in Kleszczowna it is made known and attested that in the registers of this church Volume IV, Page 201 is found the following:

Col. 1: Year, month, and day of birth, of Baptism, and of Confirmation:
In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred Thirteen (1913) of the 19th day of October was born and Baptized and Confirmed
Col. 2: House Number: 88
Col. 3: NAME: Michał (Michael) (Notation: The midwife was Anna Hotra
Col. 4: Religion: Greek Catholic
Col. 5: Sex/Gender: a boy
Col 6: The (marital) bed: Illegitimate
Col. 7: PARENTS AND(THEIR) STATUS/OCCUPATION/CONDITION: Katarzyna, the daughter of Eliasz (Elias) Hrankowski and Anastazja (Anastasia) nee Worona, farmers of this place
Col 8: SPONSORS AND (THEIR) STATUS/OCCUPATION/CONDITION: Stefan/Szczepan (Stephen) Hrankowski (and) Maria (illegible surname)
Notation in Cols. 2-8: Włodmierz (Vladimir) Biniewicz, the administrator of the place (i.e. the parish) baptized and confirmed (him).

Which Certificate I sign with my own had and affirm with the seal of the parish church.

Kleszczowna, on the 7th day of June in the Year of Our Lord 1928.

Signature of the pastor (in 1928) with the parish seal

The final line names the printer who provided the certificates of birth and baptism.

20180620_114045_resized_134.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  985.35 KB

20180620_114045_resized_134.jpg

Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:28 am      Post subject: Translation Request

Could someone please assist me with these translations. There is a Birth, Marriage, and a Death.

Thank you very much,

Kurt

1839-RozaliaTobiasz BC crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  458.34 KB

1839-RozaliaTobiasz BC crop.jpg

1830 Matthew Tobiasz Marriage crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB

1830 Matthew Tobiasz Marriage crop.jpg

1845-Josephus Tobias DC @ 45 crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  411.76 KB

1845-Josephus Tobias DC @ 45 crop.jpg

Booby

Replies: 53

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 pm      Post subject: Translation needed... "dere fila vidua" confusion

Hello,

I hope someone can translate this death record. I seems like Anna Jagellowicz died at age 60. It looks like she died after (post) Michael Tkaczow. The confusing part to me is it seems like "Filia" (daughter) and "Vidua" (Widow) are both used. Also, there seems to be the word "dere" used after the Tkaczow surname. What does all of this mean???

Here is the PNG.

DeathOfAnnaJag_1831_Jan23_post.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  452.96 KB

DeathOfAnnaJag_1831_Jan23_post.png

GerriKos

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am      Post subject: Translation needed "dere filia vidua" confusion

Hi Booby,

The confusion comes when the words are continued on the next line without any indication that the letters are connected.

Anna was the widow (Vidua) that Michael had "left behind" (derelicta). "Dere" is not at the end of the name but is the start of a new word which is continued on the next line - derelicta. Anna was 60 years old.

Tricky. Hope this helps. I have translation books from the Polish Genealogy Society of America (PGSA) for Polish, Russian and Latin and these books are a big help! Not only do they have actual record translations but also vocabulary, names, occupations, causes of death, etc. I think they also have a new one for German.

GerriKos
mikewlig

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:34 am      Post subject: Translation help request

Hello Everyone,
My grandmother's attached birth certificate indicates that she was born illegitimately and as it were at that time there was no reference to the name of the birth father. This birth certificate was requested from the parish the year prior to her emigration to the US. She came to the US alone, the ship manifest and other documents from this time period forward indicate that she presented herself as Maria or Mary Rolla and she was single, never married.

I'm interested in further translating this document and I'm wondering if church birth records were ever corrected or noted should the original birth father later marry the mother? If my grandmother's mother was originally single at the time of this birth, and then later married someone else, not the birth father, was adoption and adoption of the surname of the birth mothers new husband's name common? If it was, how would this have been conducted, through civil or through church means? Or, was it common for an adult child to take the name of one's step-father without official recording of the circumstance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Michael Kulig

mary rola birth certificate.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.19 KB

mary rola birth certificate.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation Request

Kurt1322 wrote:
Could someone please assist me with these translations. There is a Birth, Marriage, and a Death.

Thank you very much,

Kurt

Kurt,

Knowing the names of the parish and the villages and the surnames of the main people in the record greatly facilitates the translation of records. Since you requested translations of three records I’ll be happy to translate the records if you are able to post that infromation.

Thank you.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation needed... "dere fila vidua" confus

Booby wrote:
Hello,

I hope someone can translate this death record. I seems like Anna Jagellowicz died at age 60. It looks like she died after (post) Michael Tkaczow. The confusing part to me is it seems like "Filia" (daughter) and "Vidua" (Widow) are both used. Also, there seems to be the word "dere" used after the Tkaczow surname. What does all of this mean???

Here is the PNG.

Booby,

The word filia does not appear in the record. What you see as filia is actually part of the word in the previous line, dere. Just as with her surname, the word is hyphenated. The indication of the hyphen is the mark at the bottom of dere which looks like a quatation mark. The same mark is found in Anna’s maiden name. The text actually reads ‘derelicta’. Anyway, here is the translation.

I hope that it clarifies the record for you.

Dave

Col. 1: She died on the 23rd and was buried on the 25th.

Col.2: 6

Col. 3: Demnia (I presume it was the village where she died. Without context I’m not certain.) Anna Jagełłowicz, a widow surviving after (the late) Michał Tkachow.

Col. 4: Checked

Cols. 5 & 6: Blank

Col. 7: Checked

Col. 8: (Age) 60 years

Col. 9: (Cause of Death): Hydrops/Dropsy/Edema (The disease caused fluids to build up in bodily cavities and/or tissues.)

Notation: Wincenty Sawi???, the curate, burried (her).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 145 of 274

Jump to: