PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:42 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for these, Dave. As I said, I am in no hurry for the translations. I am going through the records I made copies of and putting them in order, getting a good idea of what I need/want to find in searching the records again for things I may have missed.

I believe that last record you translated is actually of son of Joannes Christmann and Apolonia. I actually have quite a few that I believe are sons, but haven't found the records (birth or marriage) to conclusively connect the two.

The films did have records as far back as 1668 and I know I can find answers there. The problem is, I was very tired and the writing is so small, my eyes had had enough. PLUS, I found the records in French, so I need to search out FamilySearch and see what they have for translations so I can understand what to look for.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:16 pm      Post subject:

Now that Christmas Eve and Christmas Day have passed it is time for another installment of the translations of the records from Walsbronn. The records will begin with the death record of Peter Christman from 1714. Although his parents are not listed, perhaps it may be possible to determine where he belongs in the tree by looking for a record of his birth around the year 1686.

Dave

In margin: Waldhausen
Text: 26 Aprilis 1714 sacramentis provisus obijt Petrus Christman adolescens 28 circiter annorum. Altero die hic in caemeterio cum consuetis Ecclesiae caeremonijs sepultus est. Followed by initials of the priest.

Translation: On April 26, 1714 Peter Christman, a young man of about 28 years, having been prepared with the Sacraments, died. On the next day he was buried here in the cemetery with the usual ceremonies of the Church. The initials of the priest follow.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:50 pm      Post subject:

The 1704 marriage record of Adam Christman not only provides the basic family data of names and dates but also provides some information on how international events influenced the lives of people living in the area. The record mentions war and military operations which almost certainly refer to what was happening in that part of Europe during the War of Spanish Succession (1701-1714). This war was in many ways a "world war" in that it involved many countries of Europe like Spain, France, Austria, Bavaria, England, Portugal and the Low Countries. (Poland was not involved but was declining into what would result in the Partitions.) In the early period of the conflict to 1705 much of the the military action was taking place in northern France and southern Bavaria. This marriage record gives a glimpse of how the conflict influenced the civilian population of the area.

In Margin: Winningen
Above text: 1704. 22. Jan(uarii) = Date of the marriage: January 22, 1704
Latin text: Peractis denuntiationibus duabus ob iniurias belli et operas militares in Landaiense collocadas in facie Ecclesiae coniuncti sunt honestus iuvenus Adam filius legitimus (cannot read the first letters of the next word which ends...coli) Laurentij Christmann et pudica virgo Amalia Nicolai Kelsch(?) p.m. parochiae ibidem legitima filia. Testes: Matthias Bischoff et Nicolaus Wagner.

Translation: After two announcements of the banns had been completed,on account of the injuries/damages of war and the military actions located in Landa(?), in the presence of the congregation the upright young (single) man Adam, the legitimate son of (unreadable) Lawrence Christman, and the chaste maiden Amalia, the legitimate daughter of the late Nicholas Kelsch(?) were united (in marriage). The witnesses (were) Matthias Bischoff and Nicholas Wagner.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:09 pm      Post subject:

One more record for now...It appears that the date of the marriage is given above the text but has been cut off in this scan.

In margin: Waldhausen
Latin text: Denuntiationibus factis in facie Ecclesiae nuptias celebravi cum solitis caeremoniis Sebastianus, Jacobi Gronfelder civis in Ridelberg legitimus filius et Margarita, Joannis Christmann civis in Waldhausen legitima filia ambo soluti; Testes Gaspar Zimerman(?) et Joannes Michael Sprint(?)

Translation: After the announcements of the banns had been done, In the presence of the congregation I celebrated the nuptials with the usual ceremonies of Sebastian, the legitimate son of Jacob Gronfelder, a resident in Ridelberg and Margaret, the legitimate daughter of John Christmann, a resident in Waldhausen, both free (to marry); The witnesses (were) Casper Zierman(?) and John Michael Sprint(?).

The next installment will follow soon.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:36 pm      Post subject:

Here are the translations of the last remaining posts in the series. In the 1733 record the ink is faded to the point that not all of the words can be determined. Unfortunately the middle name of the child baptized is one of the most faded to the degree that I cannot even guess what the name might be. If you are able to enlarge and darken that section of the record the next time you have access to the film, perhaps it may become slightly more legible. Everything else important is legible. However, the information about the sponsor is not so clear but it is also not so important. Anyway, here is the record as best as I can read it.

Right hand margin: Valsbronn
Above text: Anno 1733
Text: Die vero 15 Januarii natus est et eodem renatus Joannes ...illegible second name...filius legitimus Joannis Georgii Christmann et Evae Pull...illegible words about the male sponsor...et Margarita...illegible surname...ex Valsbronn. Sic testor J. Thoull...illegible...in Valsbronn.

Translation: In the year 1733, actually on the 15th day of January, John (illegible second name), the legitimate son of John George Christmann and Eva Pull, was born and on the same day was reborn (in baptism)...illegible words about the male sponsor...and Margaret...illegible surname...from Valsbronn. Thus I, J. Thoull, ...illegible but probably pastor...in Valsbronn, attest.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:54 pm      Post subject:

Here is the 1721 record.

In margin: Valsbronn

Text: Die 9 Octobris 1721 fuit natus die eiusdem baptizatus Joannes filius legitimus Joannis Georgii Christman et Evae Pullin. Levantes erant Joannes Orad(?) ludi magister juvenis et Anna Dorodata Norkin(?) ex Brendenbach. Ita attestor...illegible name.

Translation: On the 9th day of October 1721 John, the legitimate son of John George Christman and Eva Pullin was born and was baptized on the same day. Those carrying (him) were John Orad, a single young man, master of games, and Anna Dorodata Norkin from Brendenbach. I,...illegible name... so attest.

John George and Eva Christman remind me of George Foreman...it seems as if they kept naming their sons John. I would presume that most did not survive infancy so they just kept recycling the name.

Dave
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:59 pm      Post subject:

Lol! Maybe they did. It is not the only time I've seen this. As I understand it, it seems to be a German way of knowing who one's father is. Boys seem to have the first name of their father and then a second name, the one they went by.

However, what I notice in this family is that they ALL put Joannes as first names for the boys and for a select few, they were known only as Joannes. At least for two to three generations. During this time, I've also seen it in the Strassel and Sprentz families. And in those families, I see it as Joannes as well. Maybe they finally figured out it wasn't helping much!
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:24 pm      Post subject:

Dave, I went to the library today and went back over records. The 1733 record - you're not going to believe this. It is for Joannes George Christmann. I set a copy for as dark as I could and you can barely make it out, and I'll rescan it and post it here, but the very, very faded microfilm showed Joannes Georgi Christmann. The other Joannes George Christmann record I have is for 1727. Same parents. So, I'm guessing the first Joannes George died? Other researchers I have seen have this name as Joannes Pierre. Again, I'll scan and see what you think.

However, to add more interest to this puzzle, I also found another Joannes George Christmann record. Again, I will scan. This Joannes George was born in 1745, Walschbronn. His parents are Joannes Christmann and Catharina Sternjacob. Witnesses are Joannes George Strassel and Anna Odilia Christmann. This is most likely a cousin as I have proven that our Joannes Christmann and Catharine Strassel had their first child around 1756. Whew. Had me worried there for a bit.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:51 am      Post subject:

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to keep all the John Georges and Anna Marias and Maria Annas straight without a computer and genealogy software. It would be great if you could find a death record for the first John George, but that may or may not be possible since death records were not kept as meticulously as baptism and marriage records. This was especially true in the case of infants who died within months of birth which seems understandable in those days of very high infant mortality. Such funerals were undoubtedly very simple affairs with probably only the priest and parents present in the cemetery for a few short prayers, sprinkling with holy water and then the small grave being covered with earth. When I was in high school I had a summer job a Holy Cross Cemetery in Calumet City, Illinois (the cemetery where most of my close relatives are buried) for a few summers during the early 60s and remember infant funerals at that time. There were several sections of the cemetery which were dedicated to infant burials which consisted of rows of small graves, some with simple wooden crosses and others with no marker at all. I remember baby funerals with only the priest, the undertaker and one man, who I imagine was the child's father, being present. The ceremony was over quickly and within about five minutes everyone was gone. Now there is no longer any visible reminder of the children who were buried in the old baby sections which dated back to the 1890s. Excess soil from adult burials was placed on those sections and now adult burials take place on top of the old graves of infants. It does make it understandable how in the early 1700s deaths and burials could have taken place without the event being recorded.

Anyway, post the documents when you get the chance.

Happy New Year.

Dave
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:54 am      Post subject:

Happy New Year, Dave!

Attached are some records. I have talked with another Strassel researcher who gave me some dates and I'll see if any are actually in the Walschbronn records. Her sister supposedly has the Strassel/Christmann marriage record (not found in Walschbronn microfilm) and I will hopefully get that from her, but I'm pretty sure, even without it, she is the daughter of Sebastian Strassel.

I recopied the record on microfilm for the second Jn. George. I believe it says Jn. George. I have seen a couple other researchers see it as Jn. Pierre. There seems to be that distinctive "gi" at the end, in my opinion. This has already been translated by you, just need to know what you think about the name as you couldn't read that in the translation.

I believe Christopher Strassel to be Catherine Strassel's grandfather.

1733 Christmann, Jn. George son of Jn. George.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.28 KB
 Viewed:  8619 Time(s)

1733 Christmann, Jn. George son of Jn. George.jpg

1705, Strassel, Nicolag, so of Christopher Strassel and Catharina Joan Christmann.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.58 KB

1705, Strassel, Nicolag, so of Christopher Strassel and Catharina Joan Christmann.jpg

1743 Sprentz, Jn. Jacob marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.53 KB

1743 Sprentz, Jn. Jacob marriage.jpg

EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:00 pm      Post subject:

More Strassels.

1714, Strassel, Joan. Georg marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133 KB

1714, Strassel, Joan. Georg marriage.jpg

1712, Christmann, Barbara and Maria Elisabeth Strassel and Maria Leichman.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.69 KB

1712, Christmann, Barbara and Maria Elisabeth Strassel and Maria Leichman.jpg

1711, Strassel baptism.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.8 KB

1711, Strassel baptism.jpg

EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:04 pm      Post subject:

And more Strassels.

1727, Strassel, Christopher obit and Strassel, Catherine obit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.07 KB
 Viewed:  8620 Time(s)

1727, Strassel, Christopher obit and Strassel, Catherine obit.jpg

1722, Strassel, Jn. Adam, s o Sebastian.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.49 KB

1722, Strassel, Jn. Adam, s o Sebastian.jpg

1718, Strassel, Martin, s o Sebastian.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.01 KB

1718, Strassel, Martin, s o Sebastian.jpg

EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:11 pm      Post subject:

And what I believe is Catherine Strassel's birth record. Dave - NO HURRY on these. Enjoy your holiday and getting back into the swing of things.

No worries on translating the Anna Sprentz file, just need the Adam Strassel one.

Again, no hurry on all of these. Thanks for all the time you spend on doing them.

1731, Sprentz Anna Maria and Strassel, Adam.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.32 KB

1731, Sprentz Anna Maria and Strassel, Adam.jpg

1734, Strassel, Anna Maria, d o Sebastian.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.32 KB

1734, Strassel, Anna Maria, d o Sebastian.jpg

1728, Strassel, Maria Catharina, d o Sebastian.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.94 KB

1728, Strassel, Maria Catharina, d o Sebastian.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm      Post subject:

Here is the translation of the 1705 marriage of Christopher Strassel & Catherine Christman

Januarius 13
Liderschid: In facie Ecclesiae nuptias more praiscripto (praescripto) celebravit Joannes Nicolaj, honesti Christophori Strassel civis et textoris ibidem filius legitimus cum pudica v(irgine) Catharina, Joannis Christmann p. m. in Waldhausen filia legitima; testes Balthasar Vogel in Liderschid et Joannes Caspar Zimmermann in Waldhausen.
Translation: 1705
January 13
Liderschid: In the presence of the congregation John (i.e. the priest) celebrated according to the prescribed custom the nuptials of Nicholas, the legitimate son of Christopher Strassel, an inhabitant (citizen) and weaver in the same place (Liderschid) with the chaste maiden Catherine, the legitimate daughter of the late John Christmann (residing) in Waldhausen; The witnesses (were) Balthasar Vogel (resident) in Liderschid and John Casper Zimmerman (resident) in Waldhausen.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:31 pm      Post subject:

1743 Marriage of John Jacob Sprentz & Maria Margaret Brauner
Anno 1743
In margin (#)4; Ridelberg
Die vero 25 Januarii 1743 factis tribus bannorum proclamationibus et observatis omnibus s(ecun)dum Trid. observandis in facie ecclesiae et in praesentia subscriptorum testium a me infrascripto sacramento matrimonii conjuncti sunt honestus juvenis Joannes Jacobus Sprentz filius legitimus defuncti Erasmi Sprentz et Annae Mariae Lichbnam(?) de Ridelberg ex una parte, et Maria Margaretha Brauner relicta vidua defuncti Josephi Helmlinger de Vinbsler(?) ex altera parte.
(Signature) John Jacob Sprentz sponsus; signum manuale sponsae scribere nescientis; signature of ? ? Sprentz(?) testis ex Ridelberg; signum manuale Jacobi ...illegible...testis ex Vinbsler(?) scribere nescientis; Sic testor J. Thoull pastor in Valsbronn.
Translation: In the year 1743
In margin: #4 (i.e. the fourth marriage of 1743) Ridelberg
In truth on the 25th day of January 1743, after the proclamations of the three banns had been made and after everything had been observed which must be observed according to (the Council of) Trent, and in the presence of the undersigned witnesses on the one part the upright (single) young man John Jacob Sprentz, the legitimate son of the deceased Erasmus Sprentz and Anna Maria Lichbnam(?) from Ridelberg, and on the other part Maria Margaret Brauner, the surviving widow of the late Joseph Helmlinger from Vinbsler(?) were joined by me the undersigned in the Sacrament of Matrimony.
Signature of John Jacob Sprentz, the groom; the handmade mark of the bride who does not know how to write; signature of ? ? Sprentz(?), witness from Ridelberg; the handmade mark of Jacob ...illegible surname...+, witness who does not know how to write.
I, J. Thoull, pastor in Valsbronn, do so attest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 18 of 274

Jump to: