PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 220, 221, 222 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:46 am      Post subject:

davidckane wrote:
Hi. If someone could please translate row 22 for Joseph Niebojewski and Victoria, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

Hi David,

The information entered into each column is straightforward and the reason the headings sought certain information is self-explanatory with several exceptions. Column 9 asks for the dates of the promulgation of the banns. The column exists to fulfill a legal requirement. The banns existed to give the people of the parish an opportunity to bring to light any circumstances aka impediments which could render the marriage invalid or valid but unlawful. For centuries the banns acted as a guardrail protecting the validity of a marriage. The system worked because families lived within the same parish, often for generations and people knew each other well. Two of the more common impediments were consanguinity and affinity. Over time families in small villages became interrelated and sometimes the bride and the groom were not even aware of the relationship. Often the impediments were minor and could be waved away via a dispensation. Of course, there were other impediments which were more serious but much less common for which there was no dispensation. Some examples would be being under the canonical age for marriage or being bound by an existing marriage. Such impediments were so obvious that they would have been known before the banns were published. The column exists to cover the legal basses, both civil and Canonical, that there had been due diligence prior to the wedding. The dates are given in terms of the liturgical calendar in use at the time.

Column 10 records any dispensations granted. By far the most common entry is “nulla” (none).

Do columns 9 & 10 contain info of genealogical importance? Usually not. If a “biggie” impediment had come to light the marriage would not have taken place and thus there would have been no marriage record.

To paraphrase Bob Dylan’s song, “The times they were a changin’” Movement of population within Partitioned Poland and emigration from Europe beginning in the 1870s and continuing until after WWI was rendering the banns much less effective as a safeguard, but that is a topic for another day.

The translation follows.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave

Col. 1: No. = Number: 22

Col. 2: Annus et dies benedictionis sacerdotalis = The year and the day of the sacerdotal blessing: 19 February 1860

Col. 3: Nomen sacerdotis benedictionem sacerdotalem administrantis = The name of the priest administering the priestly blessing: Marcin Garsztika(?)

Col. 4: Nomen, praenomen et cognomen sacro ritu conjunctorum. Sedes, conditio et professio, et num benedictio sacerdotalis in ecclesia peracta sit = The name, first name and surname of those joined together in the sacred rite. (their) abode, condition/state of life and profession, et whether the sacerdotal blessing was carried out in a church or at home: Józef Niebojewski, a widower from Kłoput of the parish of Orłowo and Wiktoria Olszewska, a maiden, from Gnojno; married in the parish church.

Col. 5: Utrum jam prius conjugium iniverint, nec non untrum ad huc sub potestate parentum vel turorum sint = Whether the already had been married previously, if not, whether thus far they are under the authority of (their) parents or guardians: A widower with a maiden

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = of the groom: 45
Col. 6b: Sponsae = of the bride: 24

Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = of the groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = of the bride: Catholic

Col. 8: Consensus parentum et tutorum = The permission/consent of the parents and guardians: On the part of the groom: judicial permission and a certificate of the banns from Orłowo; on the part of the bride: with the consent of her father, who was present.

Col. 9: Dies proclamationis: Dates of the proclamations (of the banns): The 4th Sunday after Epiphany; Septuagesima Sunday (the 3rd Sunday before Lent); Sexagesima Sunday (the 2nd Sunday before Lent)

Col. 10: Dies dispensationum, si qua forent = Date of dispensations, if any happened: None

Col. 11: Nomen, conditio et professio testium qui benedictioni sacerdotali adfuerunt = The name, condition/state of life and profession/occupation of the witnesses who were present for the priestly blessing:Wawrzyniec Zorek, a servant, (&) Piotr Dybała, a servant, both from Gnojno

Col. 12: Adnotationes = Notations: None
davidckane

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:57 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful. I always try to work my way through documents by translating as much as I can without bothering others, but the older handwriting is beyond my abilities. I am very grateful for your translation and the additional information you provided, which I certainly did not know and helps explain a lot. Happy new year!
davidckane

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:42 pm      Post subject:

Hi. I've spent a lot of time working to decipher row 11 of this document and seem to have figured much of it out. If it's not too much trouble, I'd love help with a few specific entries that I cannot decipher:

- In the fourth column, could you please let me know the word before Joseph Niebojewski and also the word after his name? I translated it as follows: ______ Josef Niebojewski ___ from Brudnia and Apollonia Musielska from Borkowo

- Unfortunately, I cannot read anything in the next (the fifth) column.

- Does the second to last column say parents consent?

- The last column lists witnesses, correct? It looks like Joanna Marciniak, followed by a word I cannot read, and then Joseph Mazurek.

Thanks so much for any help with this!

David

Joseph-Apollonia.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Joseph-Apollonia.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:11 pm      Post subject:

davidckane wrote:
Hi. I've spent a lot of time working to decipher row 11 of this document and seem to have figured much of it out. If it's not too much trouble, I'd love help with a few specific entries that I cannot decipher:

- In the fourth column, could you please let me know the word before Joseph Niebojewski and also the word after his name? I translated it as follows: ______ Josef Niebojewski ___ from Brudnia and Apollonia Musielska from Borkowo

- Unfortunately, I cannot read anything in the next (the fifth) column.

- Does the second to last column say parents consent?

- The last column lists witnesses, correct? It looks like Joanna Marciniak, followed by a word I cannot read, and then Joseph Mazurek.

Thanks so much for any help with this!

David

Hi David,

The word before the name of the groom in col.4 is the preposition inter, meaning between. The word after his name is juvenis, meaning a single young man/a bachelor. The words after the bride’s name are virgo, meaning maiden, and de Bonkowo, meaning from Bonkowo (current spelling: Bąkowo).

The text in the 5th column is: sponsus sub potestate militari; sponsa sub potestate parentum, which means “the groom (is) under military tutelage/authority; the bride is under the tutelage/authority of (her) parents.”

Yes, the second to the last column states “with the consent of (their) parents.”

The last column gives the names of the witnesses. The text reads “Joannes Marciniak de Bonkowo and Joseph(us) Mazurek.” The entry means “Jan Marciniak from Bonkowo (current spelling: Bąkowo) and Józef Mazurek.”

The preposition inter/between in Col 4 is superfluous. It appears that it is a carryover from the earlier short paragraph Latin records which would usually read “benedixi or ratificavi matrimonium contractum inter Josephum Niebojewski, juvenem, et Apoloniam Musielska, virginem…” (I blessed/ratified the marriage contracted between Józef Niebojewski, a bachelor, and Apolonia Musielska, a maiden…). The columnar format, which came into use in the German Partition after the Congress of Vienna in 1815. It became the standard by between 1818 and 1820. The columnar format was used for both the ecclesiastical copies of the registers and the civil transcript copies. The columnar format offered advantages over the older short paragraph style such as the ability to enter quite a bit of data in a relatively small amount of space and the ability to locate entries easily. It made life easier for the scribe who entered the data by doing away with the excess verbiage and repetition of both the earlier short paragraph style and the Napoleonic long paragraph style use in the Russian Partition. By using the preposition “inter” the scribe created a mishmash of Latin grammar. The preposition inter governs the Accusative Case. The names of the bride and the groom are correctly entered in the Accusative Case but then the words juvenis and virgo are in the Nominative whereas they should be in the Accusative. It would have been so much simpler to skip the preposition and enter all the data in the Nominative Case, which is the usual way the data is entered. But enough boring grammar for today.

The German government periodically made changes to the number and headings of the columns in marriage registers and this version is not the same as that used for the marriage of Józef and his second wife. I’m including a translation of the entire text. Perhaps the translation of the headings may prove useful to you in the future.

The translation follows.

You should be proud of your fine efforts to understand as much of the records on your own.

Dave

Translation:
Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year): 11

Col. 2: Dies et Mensis Copulationis = The Day and Month of the Marriage: 8 November, 1840

Col. 3: Nomen Sacerdotis Benedicentis Matrimonium = The Name of the Priest blessing the Marriage: ditto

Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, demominato domicilii, status artis vel conditionis vitae, mentio trium promulgationum et quos nullum adfuit impedimentum = The First Name and Surname of those marrying, (their) place of residence, status of art or condition of life, mention of the three announcements of the banns and whether an impediment was present: between Józef Niebojewski, a single man/bachelor from Brudnica, and Apolonia Musielska, a maiden from Bonkowo (current spelling: Bąkowo)

Col. 5: Num copulati vel una pars eorum antea vinculo matrimonii obstricti aut obstricta fuit, num sub potestate patrentum vel tutorum existunt. = Whether one of them already had been bound by the state of matrimony or if not, whether they remained to this time under the tutelage of (their) parents or guardians: The groom (is) under military tutelage/authority; the bride (is) under the tutelage of (her) parents

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 25
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 24

Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic

Col. 8: Nomen et Cognomen Parentum = Given & Surname of the Parents
Col. 8a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Marcin Niebojewski (&) Agata Niebojewska
Col. 8b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Feliks Musielski (&) Magdalena Lewendowska

Col. 9: Num cum Consensu Parentum vel Tutorum vel Judicii Tutelaris Matrimonium Contractum Sit. = Whether the marriage was contracted with the Consent of the Parents or of the Guardians or of the Court of Guardianship: With the consent of the parents

Col. 10: Testes = Witnesses: Jan Marciniak from Bonkowo (current spelling: Bąkowo) and Józef Mazurek

Col. 11: Annotationes = Notations: None
davidckane

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:08 pm      Post subject:

Thank you!! This is a wealth of great information. You efforts went above and beyond. I am extremely appreciative. The translations of the column headings will help me with other similar documents I'm working on. Thanks again!
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 pm      Post subject: Please translate Radzyminski birth record

Hi Dave,

I found this 1728 birth record in Geneteka and I am pretty sure it is my Radzyminski ancestor. Parents are Baltazar Radzyminski and Katarzyna Lipowska per Geneteka; child is Filip Jacob. I think it is in Latin perhaps with some Polish?

I can make out the general information, but I am very interested in the details which I cannot translate. I think it is entry number 3 on the page.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cynthia

B0075F83-5750-416F-862E-299045D7B58C.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.85 MB

B0075F83-5750-416F-862E-299045D7B58C.jpeg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:06 pm      Post subject: Re: Please translate Radzyminski birth record

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi Dave,

I found this 1728 birth record in Geneteka and I am pretty sure it is my Radzyminski ancestor. Parents are Baltazar Radzyminski and Katarzyna Lipowska per Geneteka; child is Filip Jacob. I think it is in Latin perhaps with some Polish?

I can make out the general information, but I am very interested in the details which I cannot translate. I think it is entry number 3 on the page.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

The Baptismal record is typical of the period, containing the basic facts with few additional details. One fact of note is the sponsors aka godparents were also sponsors in the following entry. Both of those baptized were born in the same village, Zagrodze, and were baptized on the same day. In the first (your) entry the parents were szlachta and so were the sponsors. In the second entry the parents were peasants but the sponsors were szlachta. The surname of the father in the second entry, Owcarz, likely is derived from and/or indicates his occupation—a shepherd. The male sponsor is of higher class nobility than the parents in the first entry. He was the owner of at least one village. Perhaps he was the owner of Zagrodze and thus the connection to both sets of parents. The entries do not state that the female sponsor aka godmother is szlachta. She is not of the same class of nobility as the male sponsor aka godfather but, based on her surname, it likely that she is related to Baltazar and thus is probably on his level of nobility.

Other than the vernacular surnames the entry is totally in Latin.

Here follows the translation.

Dave

Translation: Top of Entry: Zagdzewo; 25 April in the year as above (1728)
Body of Entry: I, Tomasz Dobrzenski, pastor of Janowice, baptized an infant by the name of Filip and Jakub, the son of the legitimate marital union of the noble* Baltazar Radzyminski and Katarzyna née Lipowska Radzyminska. Those lifting him up from the Sacred Font** were the well-born*** Pan**** Maciej ??ieczszykowski and Ewa Radzyminska, a maiden.

Notes: *Nobilis/noble (Polish: szlachetny): an owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land. The title was used for entry level szlachta.

**Levantes de Sacro Fonte fuere/Those lifting him up from the Sacred Font were: a circumlocution for sponsors aka godparents

***generosus/well-born (Polish: urodzony): an adjective used to describe a member of szlachta who owned at least one village.

****Dominus/lord/sir: Polish version of the title is Pan.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:10 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for the translation!

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:01 pm      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Can you please translate the attach marriage record provided by the local FamilySearch Library look up service.

Ted

Marriage of Andrzej Lawinski and Marianne Pietrowska 1805 -record 5.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Marriage of Andrzej Lawinski and Marianne Pietrowska 1805 -record 5.pdf
 Filesize:  123.6 KB
 Downloaded:  120 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:55 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Can you please translate the attach marriage record provided by the local FamilySearch Library look up service.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I hope that you find the following translation of the marriage record helpful.

Dave

Col. 1: The year and day of the marriage: Kościelec; the 25th day of September 1805

Col. 2: The year 1805 begins (body of entry): After the three banns had been announced in the church of Kościelec the upright* Andrzej Ławinski, a widower from Mycielin, contracted marriage with the upright* Maryanna** Pietrowska, a maiden from Kościelec.

Col. 3: Number of marriage (for the year): 5

Cols. 4 to 7: blank

Col. 8: Widower with a Maiden: checked

Cols. 9 through 12: blank

Col. 13: Age of the Spouses: The groom 58; the bride 36

Notes: *honestus/upright: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.

**Maryanna: The contemporary Polish spelling is Marianna, however the name was spelled with the letter “y” rather than the letter “i” throughout the entire 19th Century and well into the 20th Century prior to the spelling reforms. My personal preference is to use the older spelling of given names in order to keep the spelling historically accurate to the time when the person lived. The pronunciation of both versions is the same. Of course, the spelling you use is entirely a matter of your personal choice.

Last edited by dnowicki on Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
TedMack

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Ted

Hi Ted,

Dave

Col. 1: The year and day of the marriage: Kościelec; the 25th day of September 1805

Col. 2: The year 1805 begins (body of entry): After the three banns had been announced in the church of Kościelec the upright* Andrzej Lawinski, a widower from Mycielin, contracted marriage with the upright* Maryanna** Pietrowska, a maiden from Kościelec.

Col. 3: Number of marriage (for the year): 6

Notes: *honestus/upright: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.

**Maryanna: The contemporary Polish spelling is Marianna, however the name was spelled with the letter “y” rather than the letter “i” throughout the entire 19th Century and well into the 20th Century prior to the spelling reforms. My personal preference is to use the older spelling of given names in order to keep the spelling historically accurate to the time when the person lived. The pronunciation of both versions is the same. Of course, the spelling you use is entirely a matter of your personal choice.

G'day Dave - thank you so much. I note you translate it as Record 6 for the year? Is that a typo and it should be 5? Also a see a Margaretha Lawinska in the first marriage record, Can you please translate that as well as judging by the age it could be Andrzej's daughter - something further for me to look into.

Cheers
Ted

PS - upon reflection this may even be the Father of the Andrzej I was after - now I definitely need to find the birth record.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:51 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Ted

Hi Ted,

Dave

Col. 2: The year 1805 begins (body of entry): After the three banns had been announced in the church of Kościelec the upright* Andrzej Lawinski, a widower from Mycielin, contracted marriage with the upright* Maryanna** Pietrowska, a maiden from Kościelec.

G'day Dave - thank you so much. I note you translate it as Record 6 for the year? Is that a typo and it should be 5? Also a see a Margaretha Lawinska in the first marriage record, Can you please translate that as well as judging by the age it could be Andrzej's daughter - something further for me to look into.

Cheers
Ted

PS - upon reflection this may even be the Father of the Andrzej I was after - now I definitely need to find the birth record.

Hi Ted,

The typo has been corrected.

Małgorzata, if you notice, is not living in the same village as Andrzej. While it is entirely possible that she moved from her father’s house to another village in order to obtain a paying job, given her age, it would be more usual for her to live in the family home and help with chores there, especially since Andrzej was a widower. It is just one more thing to consider when you are trying to determine whose daughter she is.

The translation follows.

Dave

Col. 1: The year and day of the marriage: Kuszyn; the 20th day of January 1805

Col. 2: The year 1805 begins (body of entry): After the three banns had been announced in the church of Kościelec the upright* Kacper Tomczak, a bachelor from Janków in the parish of Goliszew, contracted marriage with the upright* Małgorzata Ławnikowna, a maiden from Kuszyn.

Col. 3: Number of marriage (for the year): 1

Cols. 4: blank

Col. 5: Bachelor with a Maiden: checked

Cols. 6 through 12: blank

Col. 13: Age of the Spouses: The groom 22; the bride 18

davidckane

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:09 pm      Post subject: Birth Record 1805

Hi. I've spent time doing my best to translate much of this record, but have a few gaps and uncertain areas. If you could please help fill them in for me, I would be very grateful. Also, could you please let me know what is meant by what appears to be "LL.CC.?" I'm very curious about it. Thank you!

On the 12th day of March, I, Jacobus Elias Nowakowski, ____ Brudnia
recommend [?] Chlewiska baptize the infant born on the 4th of the same month
at the fourth hour past noon [from LL.CC. Cath.?] Hon. Martino Nieboy and
Agatha born Olinska and given the name Josephus. Sponors ____
____ Augustinus Wroniewski, juvenile from Brudnia and Francisca
Olinska, a maiden from Luisenfelde – all Catholics.

1805 Excerpt.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.16 KB

1805 Excerpt.gif

TedMack

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:33 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Ted

Hi Ted,
Dave

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,
The typo has been corrected.
Małgorzata, if you notice, is not living in the same village as Andrzej. While it is entirely possible that she moved from her father’s house to another village in order to obtain a paying job, given her age, it would be more usual for her to live in the family home and help with chores there, especially since Andrzej was a widower. It is just one more thing to consider when you are trying to determine whose daughter she is.
The translation follows.
Dave
Col. 1: The year and day of the marriage: Kuszyn; the 20th day of January 1805
Col. 2: The year 1805 begins (body of entry): After the three banns had been announced in the church of Kościelec the upright* Kacper Tomczak, a bachelor from Janków in the parish of Goliszew, contracted marriage with the upright* Małgorzata Ławnikowna, a maiden from Kuszyn.
Col. 3: Number of marriage (for the year): 1
Cols. 4: blank
Col. 5: Bachelor with a Maiden: checked
Cols. 6 through 12: blank
Col. 13: Age of the Spouses: The groom 22; the bride 18

G'day Dave

Thanks for the translations they definitely help. The joys of family research are boundless - in this case my 3xGGF Nikodem Ławiński has a marriage record which lists his father as Andrzej (living in Kościelec) but unfortunately does not list his mother (which may indicate they she has died). I am still to locate Nikodem's Birth and Death records, but have found a death record for Andrzej - which may not be correct. With this Marriage record for Andrzej this may also not be correct as I am still unable to locate the direct linkage between the records to ensure I am on the right track. In fact based on the age of Andrzej in the marriage record it is more likely to be the GF of Nikodem if the relationship is correct. Nikodem spent most of his life in Kuszyn as a shepherd before moving to Bogucice in Pamięcin Parish. So there could be a link to Małgorzata. All I need to do now is find the correct link. As I say it is all about gathering the clues and seeing where they take you whilst ensuring you don't stray too far down the wrong path. Now I have 2 records for Andrzej and neither of them may be correct. The search continues. Thanks you for your help.

Ted
TedMack

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:52 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

This is another Translation please - same side of the family my 3xGGM sister from Obrzębiun, commune Turek, county of Warta, Kalisz. I've attached the full page and a crop of the actual record.

Thanks
Ted

Death Marianna Wypychowska - record 58 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.67 KB

Death Marianna Wypychowska - record 58 (crop).jpg

Death Marianna Wypychowska - record 58 (full).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  995.31 KB

Death Marianna Wypychowska - record 58 (full).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 220, 221, 222 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 221 of 274

Jump to: