PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 239, 240, 241 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:35 pm      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Can you please translate these 2 marriage records from the Rychnow parish when time permits. They are both on the same page.

Marriage Józef Paprzycki 1838 - record 1 (Lcrop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.33 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Marriage Józef Paprzycki 1838 - record 1 (Lcrop).jpg

Marriage Franciszek Chalka 1836 - record 10 (Latin - crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.05 KB

Marriage Franciszek Chalka 1836 - record 10 (Latin - crop).jpg

Marriage Franciszek Chalka 1836 - record 10 (Latin - full).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  998.23 KB

Marriage Franciszek Chalka 1836 - record 10 (Latin - full).jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:23 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Translation Help Please with updated question

dnowicki wrote:
Trish

Hi Dave,
Question added: Would they have included a married child in the list of children still alive? I did not find a death record for Michalina.[/b]

I do have death records for 3 children that died young. I am still missing 3. Have to keep searching!

Thank you so much for all your help!!!!
Have a wonderful day!
Trish[/quote]

Hi Trish,

The final column of a death record has no set info to be included. It was up to the priest whether or not he wanted to enter a note and what and how much info he wanted to include. This column was often used to note whether or not an adult received the sacraments in preparation for death. Those sacraments were collectively known as “The Last Rites”. It could also be used, as it was in your record, to list survivors. He could have included a married daughter but for some reason he did not. A possible explanation could be that the omission was a simple question of out of sight, out of mind. Remember the priest was writing the entry post factum...most likely when he was alone in the parish office. The bottom line is that the priest was completely free to enter whatever he wanted in that column.

Dave[/quote]

Hi Dave,
Thank you for explaining everything to me. I appreciate all your advice and help.
Have a great day!
Trish
Blue

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:34 pm      Post subject: Baptism record

Can I please have help with this LDS baptism record for Act No. 33?

I can work out the following:

Page: 346-7
Record No. 33
Date of birth: 19 March [1814]
Place: Trzcinica
Name of child baptised: Balbina [?]
Date of baptism: 25 March [1814]
Name of priest: [?]
Father's name: Mathias Kempa
Mother's name: Marianna Kałurianka
[?]
Names of godparents/witnesses [?]: //

Birth Baptism 1814.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.92 MB

Birth Baptism 1814.png

Blue

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:43 pm      Post subject: Bernhardus Adamek - Death record 1865

Hi. Can I please have some help with transcribing and translating this Latin death record?

Page: 231-232
Act Number: 111
Obitus Annus et Mensis. The year and month of death: December 1865
Dies. Day: 3
Locus mortis. Place of death: Pomiany
Nomen et Cognomen, Mortui. Name and surname of deceased: Bernhardus Adamek
Aetas. Age:
Anni. Years: 76
Menses. Months:
Dies. Days:
Status et Conditio Mortui. Condition: viduus exhorter [?] / widower ___
Status Patris Mortui. Condition and occupation of the deceased's father: [blank]
Nomen et Cognomen Patris. Name of father: ignotum [?] unknown [?]
Nomen et Cognomen Matris. Name of mother: ignotum [?] unknown [?]
Il/legitimately born fe/male: Legitimate male.
Causa Mortis. Cause of death / disease: Senetus / old age
Certito do de Morte. Certifier of death?: a filia / a daughter
Annotationes. Notes: 5 liberi major / the eldest of five children [?]

Bernhardus Adamek - death 1865.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.95 MB

Bernhardus Adamek - death 1865.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Bernhardus Adamek - Death record 1865

Blue wrote:
Hi. Can I please have some help with transcribing and translating this Latin death record?

Page: 231-232
Act Number: 111
Obitus Annus et Mensis. The year and month of death: December 1865
Dies. Day: 3
Locus mortis. Place of death: Pomiany
Nomen et Cognomen, Mortui. Name and surname of deceased: Bernhardus Adamek
Aetas. Age:
Anni. Years: 76
Menses. Months:
Dies. Days:
Status et Conditio Mortui. Condition: viduus exhorter [?] / widower ___
Status Patris Mortui. Condition and occupation of the deceased's father: [blank]
Nomen et Cognomen Patris. Name of father: ignotum [?] unknown [?]
Nomen et Cognomen Matris. Name of mother: ignotum [?] unknown [?]
Il/legitimately born fe/male: Legitimate male.
Causa Mortis. Cause of death / disease: Senetus / old age
Certito do de Morte. Certifier of death?: a filia / a daughter
Annotationes. Notes: 5 liberi major / the eldest of five children [?]

Hi Blue,

You did a very good job with both the transcription and the translation. There are a few tweaks which really only come from experience with such records. The entry in the column for Status et Conditio Mortui reads viduus exhortul(anus). The term “hortulanus” means gardener but as a description of property ownership not as a job. The term originated from he feudal system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów).The peasants were freed from their feudal obligations in German controlled Poland in 1806 but some of the old terminology remained as a way to describe property ownership. A hortulanus owned his cottage and enough land for a garden but no for full farm fields. Due to age the deceased would have given control of the family property to one of his children, usually the eldest son, in return for a share in the income as support. As a former “hortulanus” he was retired and continued to live in his cottage. The Polish term for such a retiree was alimentnik. A good way to translate exhortulanus would be “a former gardener”. Ignotum does mean “unknown” and the informant, his daughter, did not know the names of his parents, her paternal grandparents. Although this may seem strange to us it was not uncommon during the 19th Century.

The headings of the next two columns are pueri (boys) and puellae (girls). It may seem strange that a 76 year old man has the column for legitimate boys checked so males is the correct understanding of the heading. In most parish death registers from the mid 19th Century the largest number of deaths recorded were those of infants & children and hence the handy “boys” & “girls” headings. Certitudo de morte literally means certitude concerning the death and more freely can be translated as “information about the death”. The entry “a filia” means “from (his) daughter. As you suggested, she was the informant. The preposition “by” in Latin has two forms “a” and “ab” and both have the same meaning. The same is true of of the preposition “from/out of”. It has the forms “e” and “ex”, again with the same meaning. There are reasons why one form should be used rather than the other but that is significant only for someone who is writing Latin. The entry 5 liberi major. contains an abbreviation signified by the period at the end of major. The word in full would be written as “majores” and it means “of adult age”. Think of a person who has reached their legal majority. As an adjective it is modifying “liberi” (children). A good way to translate the entry would be “5 adult children”.

Finally, the name of the deceased needs to be translated from the Latin form. Bernhardus is the Latin form of the name Bernard, which is the same in both English and in Polish. The pesky aspirate “h” sometimes appears in the Latin form of the name as it does here but the name is more commonly written as Bernardus without the aspirate. Perhaps you may find the list of Latin given names with their English and Polish forms, which I composed, useful in your research. I’m attaching it as a PDF.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH 2022 March 14.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH 2022 March 14.pdf
 Filesize:  74.84 KB
 Downloaded:  86 Time(s)

Blue

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:06 am      Post subject: Re: Bernhardus Adamek - Death record 1865

dnowicki wrote:
There are a few tweaks which really only come from experience with such records...

Hi Dave

Thanks again for your help and all the extra information. I struggled with the meaning of exhortulanus for quite a while as I was focussing on the word “exhort” as in “encouraging” rather than thinking about it as an “ex” career. Now it seems so obvious. The information about owning the land and small garden fits into the family stories I have heard, and adds so much more to my understanding of it.

Five adult children also makes much more sense than the oldest of five children. I am also assuming that these five adult children would still be alive? I think I have found ten children for Bernard, and am still searching for many of their death dates.

I also appreciate the names list. I knew about Adalbertus and Wojciech being the same name, but Aegedius and Idzi surprised me - and is really helpful to know.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:31 am      Post subject: Re: Bernhardus Adamek - Death record 1865

Blue wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
There are a few tweaks which really only come from experience with such records...

Hi Dave

Thanks again for your help and all the extra information. I struggled with the meaning of exhortulanus for quite a while as I was focussing on the word “exhort” as in “encouraging” rather than thinking about it as an “ex” career. Now it seems so obvious. The information about owning the land and small garden fits into the family stories I have heard, and adds so much more to my understanding of it.

Five adult children also makes much more sense than the oldest of five children. I am also assuming that these five adult children would still be alive? I think I have found ten children for Bernard, and am still searching for many of their death dates.

I also appreciate the names list. I knew about Adalbertus and Wojciech being the same name, but Aegedius and Idzi surprised me - and is really helpful to know.

Hi Blue,

Yes, the 5 adult children were all still living at the time of Bernard's death.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:36 am      Post subject:

matwater wrote:
Hi Dave, Looking for translation, some are poor quality, I tried to fix as much as I could! I do understand the different columns, I am just hoping for help with the surnames, villages, dates, and relations! Thank you

Hi Matt,

Surnames and place names are in the vernacular so their interpretation is a matter of determining the hand written letters rather than translating from Latin. There are no guarantees of accuracy as they are my reading of unfamiliar names. I did not translate the entries regarding the midwife and the priest since you indicated that you are mostly interested in family relationships.

The translations follow.

Dave

1940 Death
Column 1: Dies Mortis = Day of Death; Year: 1940
Mensis = Month
Column 1a: Mortuus = Death: 15 July
Column 1b: Sepultus = Burial: 16 July

Column 2: Numerus Domus = House Number: 41

Column 3: NOMEN, Mortui = NAME of the Deceased: Jan Neiłko, a farmer, the son of Piotr and of Maria née Dyczko, husband of Maria née Syry(?), farmer in Kamionna

Column 4: Religio = Religion
Column 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Greek Catholic
Column 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Column 5: Sexus = Sex/Gender:
Column 5a: Masculina = Masculine/Male: Checked
Column 5b: Feminina = Feminine/Female: Blank

Column 6: Dies Vitae = Days of Life/Age: 52—Date of Birth: 22 March, 1888

Column 7: Morbus et Qualitas Mortis = Disease and Type of Death: Tuberculosis

1912 B&B Justyna
Top: (Year) 1912

Col. 1: Numerus Serialis = Number in Order: 5

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: May

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 15

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 15

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 19

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Justyna—added note: died 12 June, 1912

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Jan Neiłka, a farmer in Kamionna, the son of Piotr Neiłka, a farmer in Czerleż in the deanery of San??? and of Maria born of Aleksy and of Julianna Dyczko farmers in Czerleż

Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Maria Neiłka, the daughter of Antoni Sywyj, farmer in Kamionna, and of Anastazja born of Teodor and of Katarzyna Sywyj, farmers in the same place

Col. 8: Patrini = Sponsors: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Łukasz Krajczyk (&) Maria, the wife of illegible given name Zdylak, farmers of this place

B&B of Maria

Top: (Year) Cut off

Col. 1: Numerus Serialis = Number in Order: Cut off

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: February

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 16

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 18

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 19

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Maria

Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked

Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Antoni Siwy, the son of Stefan/Szcaepan* Siwy, a farmer of this place, and of Anna née Sekclik(?)

Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Anastazja Siwy, the daughter of Teodor Siwy and of Katarzyna née Krajnik

Col. 8: Patrini = Sponsors: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Stefan/Szczepan Bachan??? and Anna Jaroszowska, farmers of this place

Note: *Polish has 2 versions of the name Stephen. They are Stefan and Szczepan.

1928 B&B of Katarzyna

Top: (Year) 1928

Col. 1: Numerus Serialis = Number in Order: 3

Col. 2: Mensis = Month: March & April

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 27 March

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 1 April

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 41

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Katarzyna—added note: died 20 May, 1929

Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Greek Catholic

Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Jan Neiłko, a farmer in Kamionna, the son of Piotr Neiłko, a farmer in Czerleż and of Maria born Dyczka

Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Maria Neiłko, the daughter of Antoni Sywyj, a farmer illegible word, and of Anastazja born Sywyj

Col. 8: Patrini = Sponsors: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Łukasz Krajnyk (&) Anna Kocan, the wife of Jan, farmers in Kamionna.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:44 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Can you please translate these 2 marriage records from the Rychnow parish when time permits. They are both on the same page.

Hi Ted,

The two marriage records look like they contain much valuable info. They don’t. Much of each entry is taken up with titles and legalities which I’ll omit in the translation. In the 1836 marriage record hidden in the series of titles is the valuable fact that the bride, Julia Szablowska, was the full sister of the curate of Rychnów, Józef Szablowski.

The translations follow.

Dave

1838 #1 Rychnów
On 11 February, 1838 I, Józef Szablowski…blessed the marriage between the industrious Józef Paprzycki, a widower from Bogucice, age 31, and Małgorzata Włodarczyk, a maiden, age 21, from Rychnów...in the presence of the upright Antoni Wroblewski and & Jan Dębiński and other trustworthy witnesses. All are Catholics.

1836 #10 Rychnów
On 23 November, 1836...Jan Borzyck...at the request of the curate of Rychnów, Józef Szablowski, the full brother of the bride,...blessed the marriage between the upright Franciszek Chalczyński, a bachelor, age 26, and Julia Szablowska, a maiden, age 26,...in the presence of the curate of this place and of the upright Jan Wódkiewicz and Wawrzyniec Klimacki and many other upright trustworthy witnesses. All are Catholics.
wuness

Replies: 84

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:48 pm      Post subject:

Dave: I am re-submitting this in the format you requested. Would you please translate the marriage document between Casimir and Catherina Matuszak. Thank you. wuness

Casimir Matuszak.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.21 MB

Casimir Matuszak.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:02 pm      Post subject:

wuness wrote:
Dave: I am re-submitting this in the format you requested. Would you please translate the marriage document between Casimir and Catherina Matuszak. Thank you. wuness

wuness,

Thank you for posting the headings. The translation follows.

Dave

Col. 1: No. = Number: 16

Col. 2: Annus et dies benedictionis sacerdotalis = The year and the day of the sacerdotal blessing: 1855, 16 September

Col. 3: Nomen sacerdotis benedictionem sacerdotalem administrantis = The name of the priest administering the priestly blessing: The same.

Col. 4: Nomen, praenomen et cognomen sacro ritu conjunctorum. Sedes, conditio et professio, et num benedictio sacerdotalis in ecclesia vel domi peracta sit = The name, first name and surname of those joined together in the sacred rite. (Their) abode, condition/state of life and profession, et whether the sacerdotal blessing was carried out in a church or at home: Kazimierz Matuszak, a servant from Bożydar, and Katarzyna Zarębianka, a servant from Luboniec. In the church.

Col. 5: Utrum jam prius conjugium iniverint, nec non untrum ad huc sub potestate parentum vel turorum sint = Whether the already had been married previously, if not, whether thus far they are under the authority of (their) parents or guardians: Both have not lived in marriage—under the authority of (their) parents

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = of the groom: 22
Col. 6b: Sponsae = of the bride: 19

Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = of the groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = of the bride: Catholic

Col. 8: Consensus parentum et tutorum = The permission/consent of the parents and guardians: Both with the consent of (their) parents

Col. 9: Dies proclamationis: Dates of the proclamations (of the banns): 19 August

Col. 10: Dies dispensationum, si qua forent = Date of dispensations, if any happened: Blank

Col. 11: Nomen, conditio et professio testium qui benedictioni sacerdotali adfuerunt = The name, condition/state of life and profession/occupation of the witnesses who were present for the priestly blessing: Wawrzyniec Dusczak from Luboniec; Mateusz Dusczak from Polwica.

Col. 12: Adnotationes = Notations: Blank
TedMack

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:37 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Hi Ted,

The two marriage records look like they contain much valuable info. They don’t. Much of each entry is taken up with titles and legalities which I’ll omit in the translation. In the 1836 marriage record hidden in the series of titles is the valuable fact that the bride, Julia Szablowska, was the full sister of the curate of Rychnów, Józef Szablowski.

The translations follow.

Dave

1838 #1 Rychnów
On 11 February, 1838 I, Józef Szablowski…blessed the marriage between the industrious Józef Paprzycki, a widower from Bogucice, age 31, and Małgorzata Włodarczyk, a maiden, age 21, from Rychnów...in the presence of the upright Antoni Wroblewski and & Jan Dębiński and other trustworthy witnesses. All are Catholics.

1836 #10 Rychnów
On 23 November, 1836...Jan Borzyck...at the request of the curate of Rychnów, Józef Szablowski, the full brother of the bride,...blessed the marriage between the upright Franciszek Chalczyński, a bachelor, age 26, and Julia Szablowska, a maiden, age 26,...in the presence of the curate of this place and of the upright Jan Wódkiewicz and Wawrzyniec Klimacki and many other upright trustworthy witnesses. All are Catholics.

Thanks Dave.

Yes, valuable information indeed. Interestingly Jan Borzyck and that Józef Szablowski is the brother of Julia is not mentioned in the Polish record of the marriage. In fact the Polish record gives the impression that Józef Szablowski married the happy couple. Although it did appeared that Julia was related to Józef and this is now confirmed.

A history question if I may - Franciszek was a tenant of the church property and he and Julia were both able to sign their names (although it appears that Franciszek was still learning how to write as he had to include 2 lines so that that he could sign between the lines) - was it common in the early 1800's for the church to own the property of the village and to undertake the farming to earn an income, and did the church also provide literacy classes?

Cheers
Ted
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Hi Ted,

The translations follow.

Dave

1838 #1 Rychnów

1836 #10 Rychnów

Thanks Dave.

Yes, valuable information indeed. Interestingly Jan Borzyck and that Józef Szablowski is the brother of Julia is not mentioned in the Polish record of the marriage. In fact the Polish record gives the impression that Józef Szablowski married the happy couple. Although it did appeared that Julia was related to Józef and this is now confirmed.

A history question if I may - Franciszek was a tenant of the church property and he and Julia were both able to sign their names (although it appears that Franciszek was still learning how to write as he had to include 2 lines so that that he could sign between the lines) - was it common in the early 1800's for the church to own the property of the village and to undertake the farming to earn an income, and did the church also provide literacy classes?

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Yes many parishes owned buildings and farm land during the days of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and continued to hold the property during and after the Partitions. The pastor controlled the church property, which was referred to as a benefice (Latin: beneficium), meaning a favor or benefit). The income derived from the property was for his support. In my own research I’ve come across inventories of the property and goods which were part of the benefice. Such inventories included items for use in the church such as vestments, liturgical books, etc. but they also included details of farm property including the number of animals that belonged to the benefice. Those records were from the 17th & 18th centuries from parishes which were in contemporary Wielkopolskie (the regions which during the Partitions fell under Prussian/German control). For some reason they were stuck into one of the sacramental registers.

The question regarding literacy during the first half of the 19th Century is more difficult to answer. The Słownik geograficzny often mentions parish schools but whether they existed in the first half of the century or came into existence later is not clear to me. About half the ancestors on my maternal side were from the parish of Słupy who then migrated to the parish of Brzyskorzystew, the parish immediately to the south of Słupy. The parish of Słupy had two schools, one in each of two villages and the parish of Brzyskorzystew had a school close to the parish church. Both my great grandparents (born in 1852 and 1855) were literate and attended the parish school in Brzyskorzystew. Both their signatures appear on their civil marriage record and then later on docs from the USA. Unfortunately, I’ve not been able to learn when the parish schools in the two parishes came into existence.

Many things cannot be determined with certitude like what value did peasant farmers place on literacy. If farming society did not value and emphasize education then formal education would not have held a high place in the scale what a person needed to know.

You have good questions which are definitely worth pondering.

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Hi Ted,

The translations follow.

Dave

1838 #1 Rychnów

1836 #10 Rychnów

Thanks Dave.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Yes many parishes owned buildings and farm land during the days of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and continued to hold the property during and after the Partitions. The pastor controlled the church property, which was referred to as a benefice (Latin: beneficium), meaning a favor or benefit). The income derived from the property was for his support. In my own research I’ve come across inventories of the property and goods which were part of the benefice. Such inventories included items for use in the church such as vestments, liturgical books, etc. but they also included details of farm property including the number of animals that belonged to the benefice. Those records were from the 17th & 18th centuries from parishes which were in contemporary Wielkopolskie (the regions which during the Partitions fell under Prussian/German control). For some reason they were stuck into one of the sacramental registers.

The question regarding literacy during the first half of the 19th Century is more difficult to answer. The Słownik geograficzny often mentions parish schools but whether they existed in the first half of the century or came into existence later is not clear to me. About half the ancestors on my maternal side were from the parish of Słupy who then migrated to the parish of Brzyskorzystew, the parish immediately to the south of Słupy. The parish of Słupy had two schools, one in each of two villages and the parish of Brzyskorzystew had a school close to the parish church. Both my great grandparents (born in 1852 and 1855) were literate and attended the parish school in Brzyskorzystew. Both their signatures appear on their civil marriage record and then later on docs from the USA. Unfortunately, I’ve not been able to learn when the parish schools in the two parishes came into existence.

Many things cannot be determined with certitude like what value did peasant farmers place on literacy. If farming society did not value and emphasize education then formal education would not have held a high place in the scale what a person needed to know.

You have good questions which are definitely worth pondering.

Dave

Thanks Dave, very informative and worth further pondering!

Cheers
Ted
wuness

Replies: 84

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:00 pm      Post subject:

Dave: Thank you for the recent translation of the marriage document for Casimir and Catharina Matuszak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 239, 240, 241 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 240 of 274

Jump to: