PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 am      Post subject: Help in Latin records translations!

Throughout the last few years Ryszard 'Staripolak64' and Jozef helped dozens of us in discovering secrets about our ancestors hidden behind the old Russian Cyrillic records.

Among the many who received generous help from Ryszard was Dave Nowicki. Just after that Dave wrote to me:
"I availed myself of Richard's translation expertise for two Russian language records and am very grateful for his help. I would like to offer my services in the translation of Latin records. Having taught Latin and having done considerable research in Medieval Latin Literature, I am familiar with Post-Classical Latin morphology, syntax and vocabulary. If there would be any need, I would like to offer to translate Latin records, especially those pre-1800 paragraph records which may present difficulties in syntax and orthography."

Yes, now thanks to Dave, you can discover even more facts about your forefathers life registered in the old Latin records Exclamation

Those of you who reached so far back as 1800s know that Latin used then was difficult even for those who were taught Latin in school. As Dave wrote: "The early records can be difficult for a number of reasons, especially because often words are written in "shorthand" where the case endings are truncated. Sometimes the experience that comes from reading handwritten texts is the key to understanding what is contained in the text of the document. "

But Dave doesn't want to limit his help to the old Latin handwritten records: "When I said that I would like to help with records prior to 1800 that does not mean that I would not be glad to help with later records. It is just that I look upon the later records, especially those in columnar format as being easy to understand. However, I would also be happy to help anyone with questions about those records too."

So, I invite you on behalf of Dave, to the new thread (click the link): Latin records translations Smile

Thank you Dave Exclamation

If you want to pay back to translators and pay forward to the whole community see also the announcements: Indexation of Translations and Donations for translations.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: