PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 pm      Post subject: Wysoka Zebrzydowska

I am trying to confirm the place of birth for Franciszek Gnojek b. 1879. I have his birthplace as given by his son when the son was about 85 years old so I do not know if his memory, or mine for that matter, is correct. The place name is Wysoka Zebrzydowska.

I could not find this village in the three resources I checked (Polska Atlas Drogowy, MapaSzukasz, Shtetlseeker). I assume it was in Galicia, but that is just a guess based on where other family members were clustered. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of such a place.
Dorothy
Send e-mail
Edziu340

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:49 pm      Post subject: Wysoka,

There is a village called Wysoka, near Ropcyce, Sedziszow, in Southeast Poland. Many of my family came from this village. Hope this helps.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Wysoka Zebrzydowska

Dorothy wrote:
I am trying to confirm the place of birth for Franciszek Gnojek b. 1879. I have his birthplace as given by his son when the son was about 85 years old so I do not know if his memory, or mine for that matter, is correct. The place name is Wysoka Zebrzydowska.

I could not find this village in the three resources I checked (Polska Atlas Drogowy, MapaSzukasz, Shtetlseeker). I assume it was in Galicia, but that is just a guess based on where other family members were clustered. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of such a place.
Dorothy

Dorothy,

There was no place - in what was then Galicia - named Wysoka Zebrzydowska. However, the Galica town locator displays a Wysoka and a Zebrzydowice within the same powiat (county). Because Wysoka is a pretty common name for polish villages, I assume your relative was trying to say "that Wysoka, near Zebrzydowska". See map attached.

Gilberto

imagem.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.79 KB
 Viewed:  3489 Time(s)

imagem.JPG

Send e-mail
Dorothy

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:37 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much, Gilberto,
You confirmed my thinking. For me it was just a guess, but I appreciate your thinking on this. Your knowledge is amazing.
Dorothy
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: