PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:42 am      Post subject: I'd be grateful for any insight recieved.

I’ve been at it for almost a year trying to find out more information about my great, great grandmother and have yet to make a break through this wall. I’ve done a DNA test though Ancestry and had my grandmother do one as well but have had no luck with this side of our family. When searching for “Kodawa” birth records I ended up on Family tree sifting through birth records for Lodz that are recorded in Russian. I’ve been trying to decipher those for about two weeks now to just see if maybe what I’m looking for is actually in there. If anyone knows where to start looking or where to go from here I’d be eternally grateful. Thank you for your time and I apologize if the format is a bit messy below.
- - -

"()"-I've put what I don't know to be facts in parenthesis, explanation is below

Name: Julia (Julianna) Furman
Born: May 22, 1889 (1892)
Religion: Roman Catholic
Parents: Paul Furman (Marya Furman)
Siblings: Anthony and John Furman

Name: Julia though her headstone reads Julianna. Her husband was Joseph in the states but Jozef was put on his tombstone so I’m wondering if that could be her birth name.
Birth Year: Census and ship log states born in 1889 though death record says 1892
Birth Location: Word of mouth Warsaw though ship log states Klodawa
Known Family: Her father Paul and brothers Anthony and John were mentioned in her obituary. A name for the mother of Marya Furman was listed on her ship log but didn’t reappear anywhere else.

Links:
Find a Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/229675616/julia-baron
My Ancestry Tree: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/176179842/family/familyview?cfpid=122285433895

7eecfbd8-860f-4186-b37f-bfa83715368a.jpg
 Description:
Obituary
 Filesize:  43.33 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

7eecfbd8-860f-4186-b37f-bfa83715368a.jpg

42410_1521003235_0547-00552.jpg
 Description:
Death Certificate
 Filesize:  700.85 KB

42410_1521003235_0547-00552.jpg

TH-1942-21453-19224-71.jpg
 Description:
Marriage
 Filesize:  1.7 MB

TH-1942-21453-19224-71.jpg

NYT715_1301-0620.jpg
 Description:
Ship Log
 Filesize:  769.71 KB

NYT715_1301-0620.jpg

Last edited by Oshinski on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:54 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

It would be most helpful if you could upload some documents- especially her passenger list with the name of the village. Forum members often see clues in the documents that are missed.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:15 pm      Post subject:

Hello again,

It would also help if you told us:

Is Furman her maiden name or married name?
What is The full name of Julia’s husband?
Where did they settle in the US?
Do you have a marriage record for them? If so, please post it.

I may have located her passenger list from 1909. It says she was from Kodawa (not Klodawa). Also says she was from Galicia. Gives her mother’s name as Marya still living in Kodawa. And her destination was to her cousin, Josef Wegrzyn, in Elisabeth, New York. See attached. Is this the passenger list you were referring to?

You first have to be sure of her birth location before trying to search records in Poland. There are multiple locations in Poland under the names Kodawa, Klodawa, Kudowa, etc. So getting it exactly right is the key. That is why I ask for more information. The best way to get an accurate name and spelling for her place of birth is to request her marriage record from the church she was married in.

Best,
Cynthia

EB1A46AA-5EB2-4D85-BCDD-1028BFEE890A.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB

EB1A46AA-5EB2-4D85-BCDD-1028BFEE890A.jpeg

EA4C9DFC-E9ED-4E3F-9498-34B2238C9F89.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB

EA4C9DFC-E9ED-4E3F-9498-34B2238C9F89.jpeg

Send e-mail
Oshinski

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:48 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello again,

It would also help if you told us:

Is Furman her maiden name or married name?
What is The full name of Julia’s husband?
Where did they settle in the US?
Do you have a marriage record for them? If so, please post it.

I may have located her passenger list from 1909. It says she was from Kodawa (not Klodawa). Also says she was from Galicia. Gives her mother’s name as Marya still living in Kodawa. And her destination was to her cousin, Josef Wegrzyn, in Elisabeth, New York. See attached. Is this the passenger list you were referring to?

You first have to be sure of her birth location before trying to search records in Poland. There are multiple locations in Poland under the names Kodawa, Klodawa, Kudowa, etc. So getting it exactly right is the key. That is why I ask for more information. The best way to get an accurate name and spelling for her place of birth is to request her marriage record from the church she was married in.

Best,
Cynthia

Thank you for the reply Cynthia.

That is the ship log I was referring to. Furman is her maiden name. She was not married to Joseph Baron until she got married in the US.

I have a tree on Ancestry I can link but if you’re unable to view it I can upload whatever documents will help.

Ancestry Link: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/176179842/family/familyview?cfpid=122285433895

Edit: I've uploaded photos to original post.
Oshinski

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm      Post subject:

Census Records

1910.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB

1910.jpg

1920.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB

1920.jpg

1930.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB

1930.jpg

1940.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  883.76 KB

1940.jpg

mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:14 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for posting the documents and for the link to your tree.

Based on the civil marriage document you have and the obituary, I suggest you contact St. Mary’s Church in Nanticoke and request information from her marriage record. Per the civil marriage record you have, she was married in 26 April 1910 and the priest was Rev. F. Nowakonski. Often the Polish Catholic Churches recorded the village of birth more precisely and it may give you the exact spelling and possibly more details.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:29 pm      Post subject:

Hi Oshinski and Cynthia,
Looking at the ship manifest for Julia, I would suggest that her town of origin may actually be Kłodawa, in the gmina of Brzyska, near Jasło. I suggest this because the people on the lines above and below her are also from Galicia, specifically from Glinik and Kołaczyce, and Kłodawa is very close to these places.
I would add that she was going to Elizabeth, New Jersey, not New York. The handwritten capital J and capital Y are very similar, but if you look at names on the page (such as Julia, Jan, Jozef) then you will see what the capital J looks like.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:29 pm      Post subject:

I am not sure, but it seems that a number of parishes in Nanticoke are now merged into one - St. Faustina Kowalska. Here is a web link with more information.

http://www.nanticokecatholic.com/about-us-1.html

I am hoping Dave or other forum members can confirm, correct, or add to what I found.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:54 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
I am not sure, but it seems that a number of parishes in Nanticoke are now merged into one - St. Faustina Kowalska. Here is a web link with more information.

I am hoping Dave or other forum members can confirm, correct, or add to what I found.

Best,
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia, Sophia, & Oshinski,

Sophia is correct that Kłodawa is in Brzyska, Podkarpackie and Kłodawa belonged to the parish of Brzyska. Cynthia is correct that the parish of St. Faustina in Nanticoke, PA is the successor to something like six RC parishes in that town. The link she provided provides access to the contact info for the parish of St. Faustina However, according to Wacław Kruszka, when Józef and Julia married in 1910 Franciszek Nowakowski was the pastor of St. Hedwig (św. Jadwigi). Here is the link to Kruszka’s book https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:4256276$2127i The parish was founded by Ks. Adolf Nowicki—not a relative of mine but an interesting character who has a connection to my family. He was the founding pastor (1892-1897) of the parish where I grew up in Chicago and my maternal great grandparents were among the 300 families when the parish was founded. He encouraged the men of the parish to become US citizens and encouraged them to vote. He gave a series of lectures regarding the gold standard, which was a hot issue in the presidential contest of 1896 between McKinley and William Jennings Bryan so that the men (suffrage for women was still something for the future) would have the info which would enable them to make an informed choice at the ballot box. (Obviously, McKinley won that election.) Adolf was born in the Jewish Faith, converted to the RC Faith, came to America where he studied Theology and was ordained. After his father died he returned to Europe to see his mother. Things didn’t go well there as he tried to get her to convert to Catholicism and she tried to get him to return to the Jewish Faith. He came back to America and went to Nanticoke where in 1900 he was the founding pastor of St. Hedwig’s. He left there in 1907 and was followed as pastor by Franciszek Nowakowski. None of this background is important except that if you contact St. Faustina parish to obtain a photocopy of the marriage register for April, 1910 to confirm her place of birth/baptism it would probably be helpful to inform the pastor or secretary that their marriage entry would be in the marriage register for St. Hedwig’s.

That is a bunch of good news for the quest. The parish of Brzyska is under the patronage of St. Mary Magdalene and was founded in 1355. Records for births/baptisms, marriages, and deaths/burials exist from 1784. But, of course, there is some bad news. The records for the parish of are not available online and are housed in the parish itself. It looks like the way to get those records would be to contact the parish and hope for the best or to hire out the research in Poland. Here is a link to the info about the parish in Brzyska: https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=732

Wishing you success,

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:56 am      Post subject:

Hi Oshinski, Cynthia and Dave,
I looked on the Polish archives website, and although there is a book of birth records from the parish of Brzyska (Akta stanu cywilnego Parafii Rzymskokatolickiej w Brzyskach) in exactly the timeframe that you want (1885-1918), it only covers those who were living in the village of Błażkowa. There were definitely Furman families (as well as a Furmanski family) living there. Even one of the midwives was a Furman. The record has no index, but the births are recorded sequentially and you can just scan down each page to see the names. Here is the link:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/31539736
Oshinski, if you go and look at the images, you will be relieved to see that they are not in Russian but in Latin, and the handwriting is very legible.
I hope that the church has, as Dave says, the records that you need and that you are able to obtain Julianna's.
Sophia
Wally1049

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:02 am      Post subject: Parishes

The Diocese of Scranton of Luzerne and Lackawanna County in Pennsylvania mergered all parishes around 10 years ago due to loss of populations and movement of younger people
Send e-mail
Oshinski

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:22 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
mcdonald0517 wrote:

Best,
Cynthia

Sophia is correct that Kłodawa is in Brzyska, Podkarpackie and Kłodawa belonged to the parish of Brzyska. Cynthia is correct that the parish of St. Faustina in Nanticoke, PA is the successor to something like six RC parishes in that town. The link she provided provides access to the contact info for the parish of St. Faustina However, according to Wacław Kruszka, when Józef and Julia married in 1910 Franciszek Nowakowski was the pastor of St. Hedwig (św. Jadwigi). Here is the link to Kruszka’s book https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:4256276$2127i The parish was founded by Ks. Adolf Nowicki—not a relative of mine but an interesting character who has a connection to my family. He was the founding pastor (1892-1897) of the parish where I grew up in Chicago and my maternal great grandparents were among the 300 families when the parish was founded. He encouraged the men of the parish to become US citizens and encouraged them to vote. He gave a series of lectures regarding the gold standard, which was a hot issue in the presidential contest of 1896 between McKinley and William Jennings Bryan so that the men (suffrage for women was still something for the future) would have the info which would enable them to make an informed choice at the ballot box. (Obviously, McKinley won that election.) Adolf was born in the Jewish Faith, converted to the RC Faith, came to America where he studied Theology and was ordained. After his father died he returned to Europe to see his mother. Things didn’t go well there as he tried to get her to convert to Catholicism and she tried to get him to return to the Jewish Faith. He came back to America and went to Nanticoke where in 1900 he was the founding pastor of St. Hedwig’s. He left there in 1907 and was followed as pastor by Franciszek Nowakowski. None of this background is important except that if you contact St. Faustina parish to obtain a photocopy of the marriage register for April, 1910 to confirm her place of birth/baptism it would probably be helpful to inform the pastor or secretary that their marriage entry would be in the marriage register for St. Hedwig’s.

That is a bunch of good news for the quest. The parish of Brzyska is under the patronage of St. Mary Magdalene and was founded in 1355. Records for births/baptisms, marriages, and deaths/burials exist from 1784. But, of course, there is some bad news. The records for the parish of are not available online and are housed in the parish itself. It looks like the way to get those records would be to contact the parish and hope for the best or to hire out the research in Poland. Here is a link to the info about the parish in Brzyska: https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=732

Wishing you success,

Dave

Thank you for the detailed reply, Dave. I'm trying to compose a letter to send to the parish and I've got some questions about details. I'll post the draft below and can you tell me if it looks alright? I referenced the letter writing source on FamilySearch. Also do I state her name as Julia or Julianna? Her father Paul or Paulus? And do I have the address right? Last one, should I be mailing this from the post office or should I send by email?

-

6 Styczeń 2022

Brzyska 15
38-212 Brzyska,
Poland

Drogi Księże,
Przygotowuję historię moich przodków z Polski i poszukuję pewnych danych z ksiąg metrykalnych. Następująca osoba jest moim przodkiem, który urodził się w Polsce. Podaję wszystkie dane jakie mam o niej.

Imię i nazwisko: Julia Furman
Data urodzenia: 22 Maj 1889
Miejsce urodzenia: Kłodawa
Imię i nazwisko ojca: Paul Furman
Imię nazwisko panieńskie matki: Marya
Wyznanie: rzymskokatolickie

Chcę prosić o znalezienie świadectwa urodzenia tej osoby w przedziale od (1889) do (1892)?

Jeśli otrzymanie powyższych informacji jest niemoźliwe, czy mógłby Pan Ksiądz podać mi adres kogoś z tamtej okolicy, kto - za wynagrodzeniem - zechiałby mi pomóc i jeśli to możliwe, zna trochę język angielski.

Proszę o informację w jaki sposób mogę w ramach wdzięczności za okazaną pomoc złożyć ofiarę na kościół?

Z szacunkiem, x
Mój adres:
x
x
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:45 pm      Post subject:

Oshinski wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
mcdonald0517 wrote:

Best,
Cynthia

Wishing you success,

Dave

Thank you for the detailed reply, Dave. I'm trying to compose a letter to send to the parish and I've got some questions about details. I'll post the draft below and can you tell me if it looks alright? I referenced the letter writing source on FamilySearch. Also do I state her name as Julia or Julianna? Her father Paul or Paulus? And do I have the address right? Last one, should I be mailing this from the post office or should I send by email?

-

6 Styczeń 2022

Brzyska 15
38-212 Brzyska,
Poland

Drogi Księże,
Przygotowuję historię moich przodków z Polski i poszukuję pewnych danych z ksiąg metrykalnych. Następująca osoba jest moim przodkiem, który urodził się w Polsce. Podaję wszystkie dane jakie mam o niej.

Imię i nazwisko: Julia Furman
Data urodzenia: 22 Maj 1889
Miejsce urodzenia: Kłodawa
Imię i nazwisko ojca: Paul Furman
Imię nazwisko panieńskie matki: Marya
Wyznanie: rzymskokatolickie

Chcę prosić o znalezienie świadectwa urodzenia tej osoby w przedziale od (1889) do (1892)?

Jeśli otrzymanie powyższych informacji jest niemoźliwe, czy mógłby Pan Ksiądz podać mi adres kogoś z tamtej okolicy, kto - za wynagrodzeniem - zechiałby mi pomóc i jeśli to możliwe, zna trochę język angielski.

Proszę o informację w jaki sposób mogę w ramach wdzięczności za okazaną pomoc złożyć ofiarę na kościół?

Z szacunkiem, x
Mój adres:
x
x

Hi,

The guide you followed should work and the priest should understand your request. I would suggest some changes which I think are quite important.

Either Julia or Julianna is fine for her name. Both are correct Polish versions of her name. You should give her father’s name in its Polish form, Paweł. Paul is English and you are writing to someone whose first language is Polish. Paulus is the Latin form of his name. If this were 1960 the priest would be fluent in Latin but in 2022 it is anyone’s guess how much Latin the priest might understand since the Catholic Church’s use of Latin dramatically declined after the changes mandated by the Second Vatican Council during the mid-1960s. According to info on the website the pastor was born in 1955 and ordained in 1980.

I would change the address by adding the title of the parish and the name of the pastor.

Since I do not see an email address on the site I guess you’ll have to send the request via regular mail but if you have an email address, why not use it?

My suggested changes follow.

Dave

Suggested Changes:

6-ego Stycznia 2022
Parafia pw Św Marii Magdaleny
ks. Prałat Edward Pasionek, proboszcz
Brzyska 15
38-212 Brzyska
Polska

Wielebny Księże Proboszczu, (Drogi is too personal. Wielebny would be the usual way to address the pastor.)

…..Następująca osoba jest moją prabacią, ktora się urodziła w Polsce…
...Data urodzenia: 22-ego Maja 1889…
imię ojca: Paweł Furman
imię matki: Marya…(Since you don’t know her maiden name drop the reference to it.)

czy mógłby Pan Ksiądz...Drop the Pan. it should read: czy mógłby Ksiądz....

...Chciałbym prosić…= I would like to ask...less of a demand and more polite than Chcę = I want. Drop the question mark at the end of the sentence.
Oshinski

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:03 am      Post subject:

Thank you Dave, Cynthia, Sophia and Wally for all of your input. I appreciate all of your help.

I thought under contact on https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=732 was an email but when I tried to send it said failed so I will have to send a letter out by mail.
EANWhitson
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 370

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:55 am      Post subject:

Coming in late to this, but when looking for Polish Parishes in the US, the Polish Genealogy Facebook Page put this together. It's really very helpful.

https://sites.google.com/view/polishgenealogygroup/internet-tools/polish-parishes-worldwide?authuser=0#h.p_syYgw5nhdrRh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: