PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:46 pm      Post subject: Looking for Ancestor who was called "Joseph Smith"

I am looking for an ancestor (My great-grandfather) who came through New York (I believe) and eventually ended up in West Virginia.

He took on the name "Joseph Smith". I am not sure whether that was a new name, or a translation of his Polish name. Perhaps he was "Jozef Kowalski".

I know this is going to sound crazy, but when I first started trying to find information about him and where he possibly could have come from and was getting frustrated, I heard something clearly within myself say "At the base of the Carpathian Mountains".

And HONESTLY, I had never heard of the Carpathian Mountains.

So, generally I figured he was from Southern Poland.

As time went on 23andMe got more and more specific about what areas that ancestors came from and eventually the Silesian Voivodeship showed the strongest possibility of having my ancestors come from.

Which is quite interesting because this Voivodeship happens to have part of the Carpathian mountains within it.

And, if where he was from was from the base there is a finite amount of towns that are right at the base:

https://flic.kr/p/2mWAjE9 (Or see attachment)

Some information about him:

Birth: 15 May 1881 (Poland)
Death: 23 July 1960 (Columbus, Ohio)
Spouse: Rebecca (Becky) Turner (I also have very limited information about her).

It is said that he was Jewish.

He ended up in Welch, West Virginia sometime before 1920 and at that time he had several children. (The 1920 census is the first record of him after his arrival). He was in the Coal Mining industry.

I am not sure where the family got information that he came through New York, but I suppose it's probably correct.

Thanks!

silesianjpg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  974.58 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

silesianjpg.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: