PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:03 am      Post subject: Sernik

Hi!

This is my first post here!

I remember a cheesecake I frequently bought at a Chicago bakery in the Logan Square area when I shopped with my mother. It was light and high. I believe it was a sernik, but I never knew the name...we just called it cheesecake. I've been trying to find a recipe for it for years without success. Sometimes I find a recipe that looks right, but the photos don't look like the one we used to buy because they don't appear to be high and light.

Does anyone have such a recipe? If not, please post your favorite sernik recipe! We can all enjoy the "research!"

Thanks all!

OlaEm

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:39 am      Post subject: Sernik recipe

Hello Rita, I'm not sure if this will be the same cheesecake you tried in Chicago, but it's the original recipe my grandmum used to make. It's not very accurate - when you asked my grandmum how long she baked something she used to say "until it's ready" Wink But the cheesecake was fluffy, light, and delicious.
My grandmum's peach cheesecake (sernik)
1,4 kg of white cheese (49,32 oz)
1 cup of thick cream (30% of fat)
20 dkg of butter (7,08 oz)
half cup of sugar (or more if you like it sweet)
5 eggs
1 creamy pudding - this one can be tricky. In Poland, you can buy a small package of pudding powder. You just add some milk, heat it and you have it. To make sure what it is, just google "budyń śmietankowy".
1 can of peaches - my grandmum used to make her own peaches from her own tree, but the canned version will be as good as that.
2 teaspoons of potato starch.
How to make it:
Grind the cheese twice. You can even grind it three or four times. The goal is to make it as smooth as possible. Add the cream and mix it. In a separate bowl mix the butter with sugar and 5 egg yolks. Then gradually add the cheese - spoon after spoon. In another bowl beat 5 egg whites, add half of the cup of sugar, and 2 teaspoons of potato starch. Add the pudding to the cheese paste. Mix in gently the beaten egg whites. Cut the peaches into pieces and mix them into the cheese mixture.

Dough:
2 and a half cups of flour
1 margarine
half cup of castor sugar
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons of baking powder
Mix everything to receive a dough.
Put the dough on a greased baking tray, and then the cheese mixture. Bake.

Here is the original recipe written by my grandmum!
Hope you'll enjoy it!

sernik z brzoskwiniami Babci Stasi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  746.15 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

sernik z brzoskwiniami Babci Stasi.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: