PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:29 pm      Post subject: Just Beginning my search (JEZEWSKI)

I am just beginning my search and I am focused on my paternal great grandfather.

Here is what I do know:

1: Born in Poland 1889 (via SSN death index)
2: in the 1920 USA Census he was married with their 1st child, ultimately they settled in the Pittsburgh PA area, which is where most of the family remains to this day.

So sometime between 1889 and 1920 he landed in the USA

3: His first name is Anthony; but most likely it's really Antoni
4: He and some of the family used a shortened Last Name in the USA; for example:

My last name is Jezewski; where he went by Jeski.
I am pretty sure that he used Jezewski (or very similar spelling) while in Poland. But even the spelling used in Poland I am not certain of.

5: Records indicate that he came from around the Sierpc area. But I have seen some references to Plock (nearest big city to the South).

6: I have not yet been able to locate records from Ellis island (or other USA entry points) nor do I know fore certain where\when he left Europe. My grandmother says he was on a ship called "Hamburg", but I am pretty certain that that is port in Germany where he left from. However; searching data from that Port of egress did not yield me anything concrete.

7: I have some info that says his father's name was John (probably Jan) and his mother's name was Julia. I have no proof that that is correct either.

8: I am not sure if he came over alone or not.

Need advice on where to begin from this point. I am certain that I need to be looking in Poland to piece together the rest, but as I said, I just started my search in earnest, so likely still have answers to find here in the USA, specially dates and location of entry, etc.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

- Matt
JeskiM69

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:57 pm      Post subject:

Found what I am certain to be the Ellis island record for my great grandfather. It matches up on several points of reference:

1: Sometimes the last name was spelled wo the "w" In this case it's Jezeski
2: The family came from a ton on the Russian border. Well, in 1910 Sierpc was on the western border of Russia. The town was in Russia and was a few miles east of the then German border.
3: His birthdate was 1889. The Ellis Island record is from 1910 so his age and timing matches up here.
4: The Ellis Island record indicates he came from Sieric, Russia .... most likely could be Sierpc ... my great grandfather knew no English then.

- Matt

Ellis Island -- Jezeski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.02 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Ellis Island -- Jezeski.JPG

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4190

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:08 pm      Post subject:

JeskiM69 wrote:
Found what I am certain to be the Ellis island record for my great grandfather. It matches up on several points of reference:

1: Sometimes the last name was spelled wo the "w" In this case it's Jezeski
2: The family came from a ton on the Russian border. Well, in 1910 Sierpc was on the western border of Russia. The town was in Russia and was a few miles east of the then German border.
3: His birthdate was 1889. The Ellis Island record is from 1910 so his age and timing matches up here.
4: The Ellis Island record indicates he came from Sieric, Russia .... most likely could be Sierpc ... my great grandfather knew no English then.

- Matt

Hi, I live in the town of Sierpc.

I have found the birth record You are looking for.

Nr 8
Sierpc

It happened in the town of Sierpc, on January 4th/16th, 1889, at 7 p.m.
Appeared personally Jan Jeżewski, a shoemaker, living in Sierpc, 32 years old, in the presence of Marian Błażejewski, a potter, 26 years old and Piotr Dmowski, a shoemaker, 30 years old, both living in Sierpc and presented Us a male infant child, informing that the child was born yesterday in the town of Sierpc, at 2 p.m., of his legal wife, Julianna nee Kasińska, 28 years old.
At The Holy Baptism, held today by the priest Bolesław Kwiatkowski, the vicar, the child was given the name: Antoni, and the godparents were: the aforementioned Marian Błażejewski and Stanisława Kubińska.
This act was read to the declarant and the witnesses, who all were illiterate, and it was signed by Us only.

The parish-priest of the Sierpc parish, Makary Grabowski, serving as Civil Registrar.

______

I have also attached the picture of a grave of Antoni's parents.

31,4,.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.74 KB

31,4,.jpg

Antoni Jeżewski baptism.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB

Antoni Jeżewski baptism.jpg

PAYPAL: [email protected]

Last edited by marcelproust on Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:23 pm      Post subject: Re: Just Beginning my search (JEZEWSKI)

JeskiM69 wrote:
I am just beginning my search and I am focused on my paternal great grandfather.

Here is what I do know:

2: in the 1920 USA Census he was married with their 1st child, ultimately they settled in the Pittsburgh PA area, which is where most of the family remains to this day.

4: He and some of the family used a shortened Last Name in the USA; for example:

I am pretty sure that he used Jezewski (or very similar spelling) while in Poland. But even the spelling used in Poland I am not certain of.

5: Records indicate that he came from around the Sierpc area. But I have seen some references to Plock (nearest big city to the South).

6: I have not yet been able to locate records from Ellis island (or other USA entry points) nor do I know fore certain where\when he left Europe. My grandmother says he was on a ship called "Hamburg", but I am pretty certain that that is port in Germany where he left from. However; searching data from that Port of egress did not yield me anything concrete.

7: I have some info that says his father's name was John (probably Jan) and his mother's name was Julia. I have no proof that that is correct either.

Need advice on where to begin from this point. I am certain that I need to be looking in Poland to piece together the rest, but as I said, I just started my search in earnest, so likely still have answers to find here in the USA, specially dates and location of entry, etc.

Thanks,

- Matt

Attached is a copy of what probably is his birth record. The year and place correspond to your info and his parents are Jan Jeżewski and Julia Kosińska, which fits with what you wrote about his parents. Here is the link to the record https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSVC-MTFX?cat=65773
Jan & Julia were married in Sierpc in 1879. Attached is their marriage record and here is the link to the record https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/17258538 Since the records are written in Russian you should consider posting them in the Russian Records Translations thread on the forum. That info should help you move back one more generation.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave

1879 #30 Mar. Jan Jezewski & Julia Kasinska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  930.12 KB

1879 #30 Mar. Jan Jezewski & Julia Kasinska.jpg

1889 Birth Antoni Jezewski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  937.27 KB

1889 Birth Antoni Jezewski.jpg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4190

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Just Beginning my search (JEZEWSKI)

dnowicki wrote:
JeskiM69 wrote:

Here is what I do know:

Thanks,

- Matt

Attached is a copy of what probably is his birth record. The year and place correspond to your info and his parents are Jan Jeżewski and Julia Kosińska, which fits with what you wrote about his parents. Here is the link to the record https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSVC-MTFX?cat=65773
Jan & Julia were married in Sierpc in 1879. Attached is their marriage record and here is the link to the record https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/17258538 Since the records are written in Russian you should consider posting them in the Russian Records Translations thread on the forum. That info should help you move back one more generation.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave

Dear Dave,

I confirm the information You have found. I have already found it before You wrote Your message. I have also translatef Antoni's birth record and I have found his parents' grave in my home town of Sierpc.

Sierpc
Nr 30

It happened in the town of Sierpc, on November 5th/17th, 1879, at 7 p.m.
We make it known that in the presence of the witnesses, Antoni Kędzierski, a shoemaker, 40 years old and Jan Łaz?.., worker, 50 years old, both living in Sierpc, a religious marriage was concluded on this day, between:

Jan Jeżewski, a single man, son of the spouses: Józef Jeżewski and Józefa Jeżewska nee Górzyńska, farmers from Rydzewo, who was born in Dąbkowa Parowa, 23 years old, a shoemaker living in Sierpc

and

Julianna Kasińska, a miss, daughter of the spouses: Tomasz Kasiński and Joanna Kasińska nee Idzikowska, the coopers from Sierpc, who was born in Sierpc, 20 years old, living at her parents' in Sierpc.

This marriage was preceded by the three banns of marriage, announced in the local parish, on: October 14th/26th, October 21st/November 2nd and October 28th/November 9th of the current year.

The newlyweds declared they did not enter into the prenuptial agreement.
The bride's parents gave their oral permission for this marriage.
The religious marriage ceremony was celebrated by the priest Makary Grabowski, the Sierpc parish-priest.
This act was read to the newlyweds and the witnesses, and due to their illiteracy it was signed by Us only.

Priest Makary Grabowski, the Sierpc parish-priest, serving as Civil Registrar.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
JeskiM69

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:49 am      Post subject:

Wow, guys, both a heart felt THANK YOU goes out to both of you !!!

I am pretty certain this is my great grandfather now. It gives me much more to go on now.

Do you know the name of the Church that this originated from ?

Again, thank you both.

- Matt
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:56 pm      Post subject:

JeskiM69 wrote:
Wow, guys, both a heart felt THANK YOU goes out to both of you !!!

I am pretty certain this is my great grandfather now. It gives me much more to go on now.

Do you know the name of the Church that this originated from ?

Again, thank you both.

- Matt

Hi Matt,

The parish church would have been that of Saints Vitus, Modestus, and Cresentia (Kościół św. Wita, Modesta i Krescencji), which was the fara (parish for Sierpc during the 19th Century) . The present church structure was built in 1844 and renovated in the 1950s. Attached are pictures of the exterior and interior of the church. Since Sierpc is Marcel Proust’s home town perhaps he can give you more info.

Dave

800px-POL_Sierpc_2009_(1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.71 KB

800px-POL_Sierpc_2009_(1).jpg

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 11-41-34 Kościół św Wita, Modesta i Krescencji w Sierpcu ? Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  746.68 KB

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 11-41-34 Kościół św Wita, Modesta i Krescencji w Sierpcu ? Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia.png

JeskiM69

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:30 pm      Post subject:

Using the information above and the Geneteka online databases (https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/) I was able to trace the family back two more generations. It's at this point that I am stuck. Here's the information that I do have:

Antoni's Great-Great Grandparents were:

Marcin Jeżewski (also seen the last named spelled as Jeżowski) and
Elżbieta Wojewódzka

They were married in 1808 in the Łukomie Parish and it mentions the village of Babiec Rżały.

There is a note on Geneteka that associates this marriage event record with the Plock Diocese. It mentions this specific Archive:

09-400 Plock, ul. Abpa. A. Nowowiejskiego 2

At this point I do not know where to start with this Archive. Can't seem to find any place online where I can query it. Nor am I ready yet to write a letter/email to someone there as I am not sure exactly what I would asking them about.

I need some pointers on what to do next.

Thanks again,

- Matt Jezewski
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:31 pm      Post subject:

JeskiM69 wrote:
Using the information above and the Geneteka online databases (https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/) I was able to trace the family back two more generations. It's at this point that I am stuck. Here's the information that I do have:

Antoni's Great-Great Grandparents were:

Marcin Jeżewski (also seen the last named spelled as Jeżowski) and
Elżbieta Wojewódzka

They were married in 1808 in the Łukomie Parish and it mentions the village of Babiec Rżały.

There is a note on Geneteka that associates this marriage event record with the Plock Diocese. It mentions this specific Archive:

09-400 Plock, ul. Abpa. A. Nowowiejskiego 2

At this point I do not know where to start with this Archive. Can't seem to find any place online where I can query it. Nor am I ready yet to write a letter/email to someone there as I am not sure exactly what I would asking them about.

I need some pointers on what to do next.

Thanks again,

- Matt Jezewski

Hi Matt,

Records for that parish are also available on Family Search. There are two sets and one needs to be viewed at a Family History Center or Affiliate Library and the other can be viewed from home as long as you’ve signed up for a free account. Here is the link to the record you want https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXV-7FKX?i=214&cat=434953 It is the second entry on the left page.

Dave
JeskiM69

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:05 pm      Post subject:

What language is that written in ?

... and is there someone here who can translate it ?

I forgot that I even had an account set up on the Family Search website; I didn't think to look there.

Thanks for the help and also the reminder that I should have looked there Wink

- Mat Jezewski
JeskiM69

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:19 pm      Post subject:

It looks like Latin to me ?!

- Matt Jezewski
JeskiM69

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:21 am      Post subject:

I have done a rough translation of the document. I understand most of it. I am mostly focused on getting the Names (people and places) correctly translated over to Polish.

This is where I really could use some help. I have attached a two file where I have color coded underlined the parts I am stuck on and my rough translations to match the color coded underlines.

Any help in getting these proper Polish names would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Matt Jezewski

Marcin and Elizabeth Marriage record -- roughly translated text.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.2 KB

Marcin and Elizabeth Marriage record -- roughly translated text.JPG

Marcin and Elizabeth Marriage record -- underlined text.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.57 KB

Marcin and Elizabeth Marriage record -- underlined text.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:38 pm      Post subject:

JeskiM69 wrote:
I have done a rough translation of the document. I understand most of it. I am mostly focused on getting the Names (people and places) correctly translated over to Polish.

This is where I really could use some help. I have attached a two file where I have color coded underlined the parts I am stuck on and my rough translations to match the color coded underlines.

Any help in getting these proper Polish names would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Matt Jezewski

Hi Matt,

Actually, the translation is far too rough to be of any real use. If you used Google Translate to come up with what you wrote, the problems are far greater than translating the names into their correct Polish form. If you use what you believe the doc is saying, this portion of your family tree will be worse than useless. It will be almost completely wrong. From the times I’ve seen people use that program to translate Latin some rather strange translations can result. It is even worse when the Latin (as in this case) is Ecclesiastical Latin where some words have a specific meaning which differs from what is found in a standard Latin dictionary. None of the individuals named in the record are the parents of the bride or the groom.

Here follows a “smooth” translation of the entry.

Dave

Translation: (Village of) Babiec Rżały; Marriage #8 (for the parish in 1808)
In the Year of Our Lord 1808 on the 21st day of the month of February, after the public betrothal had been published by the three publications of the banns on Sundays, namely the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th after Epiphany, in the presence of the people gathered for the hearing of the Divine Rites* and since no canonical impediment had been discovered, I, Lambert Smolenski, dean of Bieżuń, curate of Lukomie, in the presence of the congregation, blessed the marriage between the upright* Marcin Jeżowski, a bachelor**, about 27 years of age from Babiec Wionczanki (probably currently Babiec Więczanki), and Elżbieta Wojewódzka, a maiden***, 18 years of age from Babiec Rżały, both parishioners of Lukomie, with the expressed consent of the parents of both newlyweds, in the presence of the upright* witnesses Stanisław Kłopocinski from Nadolnik, Tomasz Laszczyszewski from Lukomie, (both) millers, Wojciech Skomorski from Rzały, Stanisław Jeżowski**** from Wionczanki (probably currently Babiec Więczanki), and other heads of households.

Notes: *honestus/upright: an adjective used to denote an individual as a peasant
**juvenis/bachelor: the term was used not in reference to the groom’s age but to the fact that he had never been married. A sixty year old bachelor would be described as juvenis since he had not been married previously.
***virgo/maiden: not necessarily a virgin in the technical sense but simply a maiden, i.e. a woman who had not been previously married. An unmarried woman who had given birth was described as a virgo deflorata (a deflowered maiden). A deflowered virgin is a metaphysical fizzle.
****Stanisław may be related to the groom but he is not the groom’s father. Although the parents of the groom and of the bride gave their consent for the marriage, they are not named in the entry.
JeskiM69

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:37 am      Post subject:

Thanks a bunch Dave !

LOL, Actually I was "smart" enough not use Google translate. However I did use a few different translators and noted differences across all of them, and it immediately became suspect to me. That's why I tried to express that I had a "Rough" translation. I knew I was "off" on the translation, but didn't know how wrong I was which is why I reached out to the experts on this forum.

My first take on those Names was that it seemed to indicate only Males. I chalked that up to my bad translations, etc. Either way I knew I did not have the correct Polish names at all. Which had me wondering if these were even the parents or not. As you said, the document clearly does not specify that they are the parents (usually the records in this time period do indicate that), only that the parent gave consent....even I was suspecting that that may have been the case.

Well, that sucks that I don't have the Parents names from this document; I do think that that Stanisław Jeżowski may be related to Marcin in some fashion (after all how many Jezewskis could there be in these same tiny vialleges at one time ... my guess is not too many and those that are are mostly likely all closely related). I'll start chasing down this Stanisław Jeżowski (at least it helps knowing that I have a male, so the name will stay the same (I hope)).

I suppose that the parents of both bride and groom may be dead (or sick, severely injured) by the time of the marriage because I can't think of too many reasons why a parent would miss their child's wedding. It's also interesting that one person associated to the bride came from a town outside the immediate area.

In any event, I do have solid names now that I can at least pursue. This shall be interesting to see where I land next.

Again, Many Thanks on your time for assistance.

- Matt Jezewski
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: