PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:32 pm      Post subject: Help interpreting WWI photo

Thank you. The man standing in photo (Franciszek) was a relative from Lodzkie, born 1862 in Klobka.
I assume he was drafted into Austro-Hungarian army . I guess he was of lower rank than the officers seated at table, perhaps including a general.
I appreciate any information one can interpret from the photo. It is new to me.

Screenshot_20220314-142954_Gallery.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.94 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot_20220314-142954_Gallery.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Help interpreting WWI photo

MariannaW wrote:
Thank you. The man standing in photo (Franciszek) was a relative from Lodzkie, born 1862 in Klobka.
I assume he was drafted into Austro-Hungarian army . I guess he was of lower rank than the officers seated at table, perhaps including a general.
I appreciate any information one can interpret from the photo. It is new to me.

Hi Marianna,
You did not say whether or not you are able to read what is written on the label. I read it as saying:
"Franciszek Jagniatkowski, ojciec Natalii Jagn.
oficerowie Austriacy u niego na kwaterze
Maj. Gorzkowiczki u Piotrkow r. 1915"
So, it is saying that it is a picture of Franciszek Jagniatkowski, who is the father of Natalia Jagniatkowska (whose last name is abbreviated). Austrian officers are in his quarters. The place is majdan Gorzkowiczki, Piotrkow. The year is 1915.
I notice that, in the photo, there is a white "x" above the second man from the right (seated). There is also an "x" in the photo below, which you were not asking about. It is a common way of marking who, in the photo, is of interest the person labelling a photo. So, I wonder if you are sure that Franciszek is the man who is standing, or if it is possible that he is the one seated second from the right.
I cannot help you with reading clues from the uniforms, but hopefully others will join this conversation.
Thanks for sharing this interesting photo.
Sophia
MariannaW

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:32 pm      Post subject: Thank you for the observant information.

The label was by Franciszek's late grandson, son of Natalia, and the ID of him standing was by yet another descendant, so I will try to confirm that ID and the x's which you observed. Thank you. Unfortunately, I couldn't read the label, so I appreciate greatly your kind help.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:43 am      Post subject:

Hi Marianna,
I took a look in the online Polish archives and found this (scan 221) for a Franciszek Jagniatkowski although I see that the birth date does not match what you had posted, so maybe he is not your Franciszek:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/6209065?_Jednostka_delta=20&_Jednostka_resetCur=false&_Jednostka_cur=12&_Jednostka_id_jednostki=6209065
If you page forward from this image, the next one (scan 222) is Aleksander Jagniatkowski, and scan 223 is Apolonia Jagniatkowska. The forms are in both German and Polish, but the answers are all in Polish.
If you need help with what is written there, I can help with some basic words but I am by no means a translator and you might do better to ask for Marcel's help on the Polish records translation thread.
Best regards,
Sophia
MariannaW

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:12 am      Post subject: Thank you.

Thank you.
Yes, he translated some family records last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: