PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:30 pm      Post subject: Immigrants in New York

I have the task of finding a baptismal record in New York City (presumably, might be the whole state), for a birth in about 1871. Is there a good resource to find out where a new Polish immigrant would have likely gone in New York about 1870? If I can figure out Polish neighborhoods during this time period, I might be able to find a Church where many Poles were baptizing their children.

Other info on other NY State Polish towns would be useful too.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:39 pm      Post subject:

That is not enough information to narrow the search.
What is the name on the baptismal record you are looking for? Also, do you know the parent’ names?

Cynthia
Send e-mail
Justin Baker

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:44 pm      Post subject:

Cynthia,

Marianna Pieczynski is the baptized, and Michael Pieczynski and Anna Busse are the parents. The information I have indicates Marianna was born 17 Sep 1871. The family was from German Poland so I assume they likely went to a German Catholic church as I'm not aware of any Polish Catholic churches in New York City at that time. Too bad she wasn't born in a small town!

Justin

mcdonald0517 wrote:
That is not enough information to narrow the search.
What is the name on the baptismal record you are looking for? Also, do you know the parent’ names?

Cynthia
Send e-mail
MikeP

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:25 pm      Post subject: Immigrants in New York

Justin and Cynthia,

The oldest Polish Parish in NYC is St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Parish which was founded in lower Manhattan in 1872. Another parish worthy of note is Church of Our Lady of Victory in Mount Vernon, NY just north of NYC that was founded by German and Poles from the Prussian Partition in 1871. Information on early Polish Parishes in America can be found on the Polish American Liturgical Center’s Website www.liturgicalcenter.org . Baptismal and Marriage records up to about 1920 from the Archdioceses of New York are available on the family history website FindMyPast www.FindMyPast.com .

Good luck with your Research.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: