PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:30 pm      Post subject: Need help trying to find g.g.grandfather, Dominik Brodowski

Hi Everyone,

I need advice!

My g.g.grandfather used the name of Dominik Brodowski. He was in the USA in 1884. He was married as Domym Broda. His marriage record is the only record that he uses the surname Broda. His parents are listed as Jakub Broda and Marianna.

He died young. I have his death registry for he died in 1905. I have his naturalization record which only lists he was from Germany because he naturalized in 1890. On his marriage record he used the surname of Broda in 1886. All other records he used the surname of Brodowski.

I know he had a brother named Jan who came to the USA. However, he died in 1893. His records weren't helpful.

I believe Dominik might have another brother named Stanislaw which I'm trying to look into now for clues. There also might be a sister, Julianna Brodowska who I found as a Godparent. I still have not found any clues for her at all.

The only clues I have about where Dominik Brodowski is from are:
1. I have a baptismal record for one of his children where it lists he is from "Posen". Note: I have all the baptismal records of his children, and only the one has this notation on it.

2. A relative told me he was from the same town as his wife, Marianna Ostrowska. Marianna Ostrowska was from the town of Gebice. Domink was not from this town for I checked all the records. (The surname Brodowski was in the town, but no connection to Dominik).

Questions:
1. What would Dominik be in Polish?
2. Is the name Domym the same as Dominik or something different?
3. Should I be searching the surnames of Brodowski and Broda?
4. Why did he sign his marriage record with Broda and all other records with Brodowski?
5. Should I search every film I can find near the town of Gebice for his birth?
6. Should I try to trace some of the godparents of his children? I have Opelski, Szelweski, Swartz, Kosnocki, etc? They could be connected somehow, right?

I appreciate any suggestions. This is the only branch of my family that I cannot figure out. Thank you for your time.
Have a wonderful day!
Trish
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1027

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:01 am      Post subject: Re: Need help trying to find g.g.grandfather, Dominik Brodow

Trish wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I need advice!

My g.g.grandfather used the name of Dominik Brodowski. He was in the USA in 1884. He was married as Domym Broda. His marriage record is the only record that he uses the surname Broda. His parents are listed as Jakub Broda and Marianna.

He died young. I have his death registry for he died in 1905. I have his naturalization record which only lists he was from Germany because he naturalized in 1890. On his marriage record he used the surname of Broda in 1886. All other records he used the surname of Brodowski.

I know he had a brother named Jan who came to the USA. However, he died in 1893. His records weren't helpful.

I believe Dominik might have another brother named Stanislaw which I'm trying to look into now for clues. There also might be a sister, Julianna Brodowska who I found as a Godparent. I still have not found any clues for her at all.

1. I have a baptismal record for one of his children where it lists he is from "Posen". Note: I have all the baptismal records of his children, and only the one has this notation on it.

2. A relative told me he was from the same town as his wife, Marianna Ostrowska. Marianna Ostrowska was from the town of Gebice. Domink was not from this town for I checked all the records. (The surname Brodowski was in the town, but no connection to Dominik).

Questions:
4. Why did he sign his marriage record with Broda and all other records with Brodowski?
6. Should I try to trace some of the godparents of his children? I have Opelski, Szelweski, Swartz, Kosnocki, etc? They could be connected somehow, right?

I appreciate any suggestions. This is the only branch of my family that I cannot figure out. Thank you for your time.
Have a wonderful day!
Trish

Hi Trish,
In answer to your first question, Dominik is the correct Polish spelling. Regarding your second question about Domym, I am not familiar with that as a name. Is Domym something that you saw in an index (so, perhaps the indexer had difficulty reading a record and Domym was as close as they could get) or did you see this in a record yourself? As for his marriage record, is it possible for you to post an image of it here?
Both Broda and Brodowski are surnames that you can find in Poland, so it does not seem likely (my opinion) that he was anglicizing his name. You probably should keep looking at both names in your research until you resolve the discrepancy. As for your search strategy, tracing godparents can be a useful approach.
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help trying to find g.g.grandfather, Dominik Brodow

Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I need advice!

Questions:

Have a wonderful day!
Trish

Hi Trish,
In answer to your first question, Dominik is the correct Polish spelling. Regarding your second question about Domym, I am not familiar with that as a name. Is Domym something that you saw in an index (so, perhaps the indexer had difficulty reading a record and Domym was as close as they could get) or did you see this in a record yourself? As for his marriage record, is it possible for you to post an image of it here?
Both Broda and Brodowski are surnames that you can find in Poland, so it does not seem likely (my opinion) that he was anglicizing his name. You probably should keep looking at both names in your research until you resolve the discrepancy. As for your search strategy, tracing godparents can be a useful approach.
Sophia

Hi Sophia,
Thank you for responding. Here is the marriage record for Dominik Broda (Brodowski) and Marianna Ostrowska.
You can see Dominik is listed as Dominick Broda. He signs his name as Domym Broda. Marianna Ostrowska cannot write so some signed for her. They were married by the justice of the peace for Marianna was already pregrnant with my g.grandmother who was born in May of 1886.

Any suggesstions?

Dominik Broda Marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  789.65 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Dominik Broda Marriage.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help trying to find g.g.grandfather, Dominik Brodow

Trish wrote:

Hi Sophia,
Thank you for responding. Here is the marriage record for Dominik Broda (Brodowski) and Marianna Ostrowska.
You can see Dominik is listed as Dominick Broda. He signs his name as Domym Broda. Marianna Ostrowska cannot write so some signed for her. They were married by the justice of the peace for Marianna was already pregrnant with my g.grandmother who was born in May of 1886.

Any suggesstions?

Hi Trish,
I think I found his baptism record for you:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6ZM2-4J4P
Take a look and see what you think.
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:40 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help trying to find g.g.grandfather, Dominik Brodow

Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:

Hi Sophia,

Any suggesstions?

Hi Trish,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

How did you find this record? I am so excited!!!! This is the first time I have ever seen the name of Dominik anywhere on a birth record.

I just went through the films and found Jan (Johann) who was the brother of Dominik. Jan Broda was born around 1858 per my records. I just found his birth record in 1857 with Jakub and Marianna as parents.

How close is the town to the Poznan region? Do you know? I am having trouble locating it on a map.

You don't know how grateful I am that you found this record for me. For years I have been going through the Poznan Project. I locate every marriage record of a Jakub Broda (Brodowski) and Marianna. I then trace to find their children and have never found a Dominik as a child.

You can't believe how happy I am. Very Happy

Thank you so very much!
Trish
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help trying to find g.g.grandfather, Dominik Brodow

Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:

Hi Trish,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

How close is the town to the Poznan region? Do you know? I am having trouble locating it on a map.

YThank you so very much!
Trish

Is this the town? Cierznie, gmina Debrzno, Czluchow, Pomorskie, Poland.

German Name Peterswalde
Polish/Russian Name Cierznie
Kreis/County Schlochau
German Province Westpreussen
Today's Province Pomorskie

Thank you again!!!!!!
Trish
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:47 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help trying to find g.g.grandfather, Dominik Brodow

Trish wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:

Hi Trish,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

YThank you so very much!
Trish

Is this the town? Cierznie, gmina Debrzno, Czluchow, Pomorskie, Poland.

German Name Peterswalde
Polish/Russian Name Cierznie
Kreis/County Schlochau
German Province Westpreussen
Today's Province Pomorskie

Thank you again!!!!!!
Trish

You got it!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:51 pm      Post subject:

Trish,
I see you found the town! For future reference, Kartenmeister is a good search tool for that sort of thing. Here is a link:
http://www.kartenmeister.com/preview/databaseuwe.asp
If you scroll down the page, and in Box 1, German City Name, enter "Peterswalde" and click on "submit," you get to a page that lists several Peterswalde's.
Click on the first one, since you know it is Peterswalde, Kreis Schlochau, and there you will see the current Polish name of the town, as well as a link to google maps.
I will see if I can find you a good historic map image.
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:57 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Trish,
I see you found the town! For future reference, Kartenmeister is a good search tool for that sort of thing. Here is a link:
http://www.kartenmeister.com/preview/databaseuwe.asp
If you scroll down the page, and in Box 1, German City Name, enter "Peterswalde" and click on "submit," you get to a page that lists several Peterswalde's.
Click on the first one, since you know it is Peterswalde, Kreis Schlochau, and there you will see the current Polish name of the town, as well as a link to google maps.
I will see if I can find you a good historic map image.
Sophia

Hi Sophia,
I used Kartenmeister to find the name of the town.

I am still amazed as to how you found Dominik for I've been searching for him for several years. I am so grateful! I feel like it's Christmas! Very Happy

Thank you again!
Trish
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:12 pm      Post subject:

Hi Trish,
Found you a lovely map:
https://polona.pl/item/peterswalde,ODgwOTYzNzU/0/#info:metadata
I guess it really is Christmas!
Now, in answer to your question of how I found your Dominick. First, I tried my sleuthing skills learned through years of solving genealogy puzzles. It got me nowhere! Then, I made use of a technique that often helps in these situations - - the "wildcard". I am sure, if you have searched on FamilySearch, you realize that you can enter a name, and then check the box to make the search "exact" for that name. What you may not know is that you can also use a wildcard (asterisk) there. So, in this case, I searched for first name DOM* (exact) and last name BROD* (exact). The search results give all first names that begin with the letters DOM, with a last name beginning with BROD. This is what allowed me to find the unexpected spelling of BRODDA with two D's.
One more detail.... the name of Dominick's mother, in his baptism, is not Marianna but rather Marcianna. What is it, in Jan's record?
I am very happy to have found what you were looking for.
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:54 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Trish,
Found you a lovely map:
https://polona.pl/item/peterswalde,ODgwOTYzNzU/0/#info:metadata
I guess it really is Christmas!
Now, in answer to your question of how I found your Dominick. First, I tried my sleuthing skills learned through years of solving genealogy puzzles. It got me nowhere! Then, I made use of a technique that often helps in these situations - - the "wildcard". I am sure, if you have searched on FamilySearch, you realize that you can enter a name, and then check the box to make the search "exact" for that name. What you may not know is that you can also use a wildcard (asterisk) there. So, in this case, I searched for first name DOM* (exact) and last name BROD* (exact). The search results give all first names that begin with the letters DOM, with a last name beginning with BROD. This is what allowed me to find the unexpected spelling of BRODDA with two D's.
One more detail.... the name of Dominick's mother, in his baptism, is not Marianna but rather Marcianna. What is it, in Jan's record?
I am very happy to have found what you were looking for.
Sophia

Hi Sophia,
Thank you for finding such a wonderful map.

Thank you again for finding Dominik Brodda's birth record. I've tried everything you stated above and never found the record. I am so grateful. Sometimes you just need another set of eyes to see what you are missing.

I did find Dominik's brother, Johann (Jan) as well as other siblings. Now I have to figure out the correct spelling of the mother's surname. It is spelled differently in every record.

I'll be posting more questions soon. I just want to say thank you!
Trish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: