PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 11:35 am      Post subject: Help in the search for the origins of my Polish great-grandm

Hello, my name is Samir Rosa de Oliveira and I am Brazilian. I am 35 years old and originally from the South of Brazil, although I currently live in the Northeast region of the country. I am writing this text as a request for help to the forum community: I would like to find more information about my Polish great-grandmother. I need assistance with the few documents I have, as even with online translation tools, it's difficult to understand many things due to handwritten sections.

Firstly, I need to explain why my surname is Rosa de Oliveira, and not a Polish surname. My great-grandmother was named Anisia Szymanski Wilkoloski. She was born on December 30, 1918, and came to Brazil in April 1937, along with her sister Katarzyny. She had one daughter, named Ana Terezinha, who became my grandmother. However, my grandmother did not have many educational opportunities, and when she married, she abandoned her Polish surname and adopted her husband's surname, "Rosa." That's why I never had my great-grandmother's surname in my official records. My grandmother thought it would be very difficult for her future children to write her Polish surname, so she decided to change her surname when she married. Additionally, she and my great-grandmother had a very difficult, unloving relationship, so my grandmother rarely spoke about her past and never spoke anything in Polish language. Whenever I asked her about my great-grandmother, I received vague answers, and she would quickly change the subject.

One of the reasons I am only now conducting this search is because my grandmother passed away earlier this year. When searching through her belongings for information about my great-grandmother, I found some documents and am now beginning this search for more information. My great-grandmother passed away when I was only 8 years old, so I have few memories of her, but what stood out to me was her strong, austere presence and her spoken Portuguese with a heavy accent. She spoke very little about her life in Poland, only mentioning that she came from a poor family, lived with 10 siblings in a small house, was the youngest daughter of the family, they planted potatoes, and in winter, when it snowed, they ate the potatoes they had planted.

The documents I have are confusing to me. They include excerpts from my great-grandmother's passport, a baptism certificate from the Orthodox Church dated 1936, even though my great-grandmother was born in 1918 and went to Brazil in 1937. Why would she have been baptized in the Orthodox Church only in 1936? Perhaps I misunderstood the date on the document. Another document I have is very old and I believe it to be my great-grandmother's birth certificate, but I am not sure.

I am posting all these documents in this post. Any help you can give me with translation and information to help me piece this puzzle together will be greatly appreciated!

In my research, I have not been able to identify the locations, villages, communes, or provinces referenced in the baptism document.

In the supposed birth certificate, I believe there is a reference to the village of Nowosiółki, located in Gmina Gródek, in the county (powiat) of Białystok, in the Podlaskie Voivodeship. However, I am not certain.

In my great-grandmother's passport, there is a handwritten section in French where the place of birth (Lieu de naissance) is noted, but I cannot decipher what is written. It does not seem to be Nowosiółki.

Thank you very much to those who have taken an interest in reading my story. I hope to make progress in this search and learn more about my family history. Thank you very much!

Anisia Passport 2.jpg
 Description:
Another part of her passport.
 Filesize:  302.59 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Anisia Passport 2.jpg

Birth_Certificate.jpg
 Description:
A supposed birth certificate, where I think I can identify the name of the Nowosiółki village and the name of the Białystok powiat.
 Filesize:  225.36 KB

Birth_Certificate.jpg

Anisia Passport 4.jpg
 Description:
Another part of her passport.
 Filesize:  371.05 KB

Anisia Passport 4.jpg

Anisia Passport 3.jpg
 Description:
The part of the passport where it's written the place of birth (Lieu de naissance), which I can't understand.
 Filesize:  294.12 KB

Anisia Passport 3.jpg

Baptism.jpg
 Description:
The baptism certificate, which I think is dated from 1936. I can't identify any of the locations and names written in it.
 Filesize:  148.55 KB

Baptism.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 800

Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 2:55 pm      Post subject:

Hi Samir,
I'll take a look at these documents. The baptism certificate contains many important information.
Best regards,
-Barb
Samir

Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 4:09 pm      Post subject:

That would be amazing. Thanks a lot, Barb!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2804

Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 5:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Help in the search for the origins of my Polish great-gr

Samir wrote:
Hello, my name is Samir Rosa de Oliveira and I am Brazilian. I am 35 years old and originally from the South of Brazil, although I currently live in the Northeast region of the country. I am writing this text as a request for help to the forum community: I would like to find more information about my Polish great-grandmother. I need assistance with the few documents I have, as even with online translation tools, it's difficult to understand many things due to handwritten sections.

Firstly, I need to explain why my surname is Rosa de Oliveira, and not a Polish surname. My great-grandmother was named Anisia Szymanski Wilkoloski. She was born on December 30, 1918, and came to Brazil in April 1937, along with her sister Katarzyny. She had one daughter, named Ana Terezinha, who became my grandmother. However, my grandmother did not have many educational opportunities, and when she married, she abandoned her Polish surname and adopted her husband's surname, "Rosa." That's why I never had my great-grandmother's surname in my official records. My grandmother thought it would be very difficult for her future children to write her Polish surname, so she decided to change her surname when she married. Additionally, she and my great-grandmother had a very difficult, unloving relationship, so my grandmother rarely spoke about her past and never spoke anything in Polish language. Whenever I asked her about my great-grandmother, I received vague answers, and she would quickly change the subject.

One of the reasons I am only now conducting this search is because my grandmother passed away earlier this year. When searching through her belongings for information about my great-grandmother, I found some documents and am now beginning this search for more information. My great-grandmother passed away when I was only 8 years old, so I have few memories of her, but what stood out to me was her strong, austere presence and her spoken Portuguese with a heavy accent. She spoke very little about her life in Poland, only mentioning that she came from a poor family, lived with 10 siblings in a small house, was the youngest daughter of the family, they planted potatoes, and in winter, when it snowed, they ate the potatoes they had planted.

The documents I have are confusing to me. They include excerpts from my great-grandmother's passport, a baptism certificate from the Orthodox Church dated 1936, even though my great-grandmother was born in 1918 and went to Brazil in 1937. Why would she have been baptized in the Orthodox Church only in 1936? Perhaps I misunderstood the date on the document. Another document I have is very old and I believe it to be my great-grandmother's birth certificate, but I am not sure.

I am posting all these documents in this post. Any help you can give me with translation and information to help me piece this puzzle together will be greatly appreciated!

In my research, I have not been able to identify the locations, villages, communes, or provinces referenced in the baptism document.

In the supposed birth certificate, I believe there is a reference to the village of Nowosiółki, located in Gmina Gródek, in the county (powiat) of Białystok, in the Podlaskie Voivodeship. However, I am not certain.

In my great-grandmother's passport, there is a handwritten section in French where the place of birth (Lieu de naissance) is noted, but I cannot decipher what is written. It does not seem to be Nowosiółki.

Thank you very much to those who have taken an interest in reading my story. I hope to make progress in this search and learn more about my family history. Thank you very much!

Hi Samir,

Here are a few bits of information which may help you sort out the documents you have posted. The 1936 certificate of birth and baptism for is from the Greek AKA Eastern Rite Catholic Church for the birth of Anisia on 20 October 1918 and her baptism on 30 October 1918. the certificate was issued in 1936 most likely as part of her gathering together of documents to leave Europe and immigrate to Brazil. Her religious affiliation was not Orthodox. She was Catholic. The largest Rite in the Catholic Church is the Roman or Latin Rite. However there are other Catholic Rites which do not use or follow the Roman or Latin rituals but they are definitely Catholic and not Orthodox. One of the largest Catholic Rites in 19th Century partitioned Poland was referred to as the Greek Catholic Rite. Instead of using the Latin language for the sacraments and ceremonies Greek Catholics used Old Church Slavonic. Today that Rite is known as the Ukrainian Catholic Rite and its members belong to the Ukrainian Catholic Church. In places like Chicago which have substantial populations of immigrants from Eastern Poland and from Ukraine there are plenty of Ukrainian Rite Catholic churches but in areas where there is not a substantial population of such immigrants those who in Europe were Greek Catholics now belong to Latin or Roman Catholic Rite parishes but their Greek Catholic ancestors were just as Catholic as their descendants.

Certificate is written in the Latin language because at the time of her birth the area where she lived was in what is known as Galicia a region that had been seized by Austria in 1772 and was in the process of being transferred to the newly independent post-World War I Republic of Poland. The Austrian Empire had mandated the Latin language to be used in civil records throughout the empire. These records doubled as religious records.

The other certificate would you recognize as a very old document is the birth and baptism record of another person. The person’s name is Mikołaj Wolosck? And he was born on 9 May 1918 and baptized on 10 May 1918. I don’t know how he fits in to your ancestry but that certificate contains no information about your great-grandmother Anisia. That certificate was issued in what looks like 1930 and the certificate is bilingual— Polish and a language which uses the Cyrillic alphabet, most likely either Ukrainian or Belarusian.

I hope that this information helps you to make sense of the two certificates.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 5:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Help in the search for the origins of my Polish great-gr

Hi Samir,
In Anisia's baptism record, in addition to her parents, her grandparents are also mentioned. I think that Anisia's birth should be found in the Ternopil Oblast. Today it is Ukraine. Will look at the places mentioned in the documents tomorrow.

-Barb

Anisia Szymanska.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Anisia Szymanska.pdf
 Filesize:  476.36 KB
 Downloaded:  16 Time(s)

Samir

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:53 am      Post subject: Re: Help in the search for the origins of my Polish great-gr

Thank you very much for taking the time to analyze the documents I sent and present these conclusions, Dave.

It is very important and exciting for me to be, only now, discovering so many things about the history of my great-grandparents. Mikołaj was my great-grandfather! He was Anisia's husband. But I never knew if they came from Poland together or if they met in Brazil. I didn't even know that the family still had any Polish documents for him. I am very happy to know that I have the baptism certificates of both my great-grandparents! Unlike Anisia, I never got to know my great-grandfather Mikolaj, he died long before I was born. Here in Brazil, we called him "Nicolau", a rough translation of his name in portuguese.

Do you know if Mikolaj's and Anisia's baptism certificate also includes the names of their parents?

I would also like to know if Mikolaj and Anisia's baptism documents indicate in which city and province they lived. Is it possible to have this information?

Thank you so much again, Dave, for all the help you're giving me.

dnowicki wrote:
Samir wrote:

Hi Samir,

Here are a few bits of information which may help you sort out the documents you have posted. The 1936 certificate of birth and baptism for is from the Greek AKA Eastern Rite Catholic Church for the birth of Anisia on 20 October 1918 and her baptism on 30 October 1918. the certificate was issued in 1936 most likely as part of her gathering together of documents to leave Europe and immigrate to Brazil. Her religious affiliation was not Orthodox. She was Catholic. The largest Rite in the Catholic Church is the Roman or Latin Rite. However there are other Catholic Rites which do not use or follow the Roman or Latin rituals but they are definitely Catholic and not Orthodox. One of the largest Catholic Rites in 19th Century partitioned Poland was referred to as the Greek Catholic Rite. Instead of using the Latin language for the sacraments and ceremonies Greek Catholics used Old Church Slavonic. Today that Rite is known as the Ukrainian Catholic Rite and its members belong to the Ukrainian Catholic Church. In places like Chicago which have substantial populations of immigrants from Eastern Poland and from Ukraine there are plenty of Ukrainian Rite Catholic churches but in areas where there is not a substantial population of such immigrants those who in Europe were Greek Catholics now belong to Latin or Roman Catholic Rite parishes but their Greek Catholic ancestors were just as Catholic as their descendants.

Certificate is written in the Latin language because at the time of her birth the area where she lived was in what is known as Galicia a region that had been seized by Austria in 1772 and was in the process of being transferred to the newly independent post-World War I Republic of Poland. The Austrian Empire had mandated the Latin language to be used in civil records throughout the empire. These records doubled as religious records.

The other certificate would you recognize as a very old document is the birth and baptism record of another person. The person’s name is Mikołaj Wolosck? And he was born on 9 May 1918 and baptized on 10 May 1918. I don’t know how he fits in to your ancestry but that certificate contains no information about your great-grandmother Anisia. That certificate was issued in what looks like 1930 and the certificate is bilingual— Polish and a language which uses the Cyrillic alphabet, most likely either Ukrainian or Belarusian.

I hope that this information helps you to make sense of the two certificates.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Samir

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:00 am      Post subject: Re: Help in the search for the origins of my Polish great-gr

How amazing! I never imagined I would be able to know the names of my great-grandmother's grandparents. Could you tell me, please, what names appear on the document and what their relationship is to Anisia?

Would it also be possible to identify the city and region mentioned on the document, so I could know where my great-grandmother was born? If the region mentioned was in Ukraine, does that mean she could actually be Ukrainian and not Polish? But her passport is Polish, correct?

Thank you very much, Barb!

BarbOslo wrote:
Hi Samir,
In Anisia's baptism record, in addition to her parents, her grandparents are also mentioned. I think that Anisia's birth should be found in the Ternopil Oblast. Today it is Ukraine. Will look at the places mentioned in the documents tomorrow.

-Barb

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:36 am      Post subject:

Hi Samir,
Your grandmother was Polish. The area she came from belonged to Poland at the time. I will try to look at the places mentioned in the documents you shared with us. I suspect it is in Ukraine. To see the names of your ancestors mentioned in the baptism record, open the PDF I downloaded yesterday.
Was Mikołaj Wołosiuk the husband of Anisia?
-Barb
Samir

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:52 am      Post subject:

Yes! Mikolaj was my great-grandfather. He was married to Anisia. But I think they married in Brazil. I never got to know him, he died before I was born. In the family, we called him "Nicolau", a rough translation of his name to brazilian portuguese.

BarbOslo wrote:
Hi Samir,
Your grandmother was Polish. The area she came from belonged to Poland at the time. I will try to look at the places mentioned in the documents you shared with us. I suspect it is in Ukraine. To see the names of your ancestors mentioned in the baptism record, open the PDF I downloaded yesterday.
-Barb

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:55 am      Post subject:

BarbOslo wrote:
Hi Samir,
-Barb

Barb,

The places are definitely currently in Ukraine. The top of the certificate names the powiat (Lat. Districtus): Skalat; the diocese (Greek Cath. Diocese of Lwów); the deanery (dekenat): Skalat as the places were in the Post-WWI Republic of Poland. The parish where she was baptized had a filial church which is the place where she was baptized, which was not uncommon for Greek Catholic parishes. The quality of the image is too poor for me to determine many handwitten words. Ten years ago and probably even five years ago that wou nohave been a problem but now it is.

I hope this information saves you time locating the places.

Dave
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:32 pm      Post subject:

Greek Catholic deanery
Until 1900, the Skałat deanery included the following parishes: Borki Małe, Bucyki, Hlibów, Grzymałów, Dubkowce, Żerebki Wielkie, Zielona, ​​Iwanówka, Iławcza, Kałaharówka, Kamionki, Kaczanówka, Kokoszyńce, Kołodziejówka, Krasne, Krzywe, Łuka Mała, Okno, Orzechowiec, Ostapie, Poznanka Gniła, Rożyska, Skałat, Skałat Stary, Sorocko, Staromiejszczyzna, Touste, Turówka, Chmieliska.

Parish Staromiejszczynza - that's the place you couldn't read

-Barb
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Help in the search for the origins of my Polish great-gr

[quote="Samir"]Thank you very much for taking the time to analyze the documents I sent and present these conclusions, Dave.

It is very important and exciting for me to be, only now, discovering so many things about the history of my great-grandparents. Mikołaj was my great-grandfather! He was Anisia's husband. But I never knew if they came from Poland together or if they met in Brazil. I didn't even know that the family still had any Polish documents for him. I am very happy to know that I have the baptism certificates of both my great-grandparents! Unlike Anisia, I never got to know my great-grandfather Mikolaj, he died long before I was born. Here in Brazil, we called him "Nicolau", a rough translation of his name in portuguese.

Do you know if Mikolaj's and Anisia's baptism certificate also includes the names of their parents?

I would also like to know if Mikolaj and Anisia's baptism documents indicate in which city and province they lived. Is it possible to have this information?

Thank you so much again, Dave, for all the help you're giving me.

Hi Samir,

Your great grandfather’s name in Portuguese, Nicolau, is not a rough translation of the Polish version of his given name (Mikołaj) but is actually the formal version of his name. His name in English is Nicholas. The Spanish version of his name is Nicolás. Certain given names are common to various national/ethnic groups and the names are adapted to the group’s language.

The birth and baptism certificates of each of your great-grandparents contain similar information about the ancestry but it is not identical. It is important to consider the historical situation at the time in record was composed. Both of your great-grandparents were born during the final year of the first world war. Prior to the war the region where each of them lived was under the control of a different Empire. The Austrian Empire controlled the region where your great-grandmother was born and the Russian Empire controlled the region where your great-grandfather was born. Each Empire specified the information to be included in birth records. In the Austrian Empire the names of the grandparents of the person baptized were included in the record. In the Russian Empire only the names of the paternal and the maternal grandfathers of the person were included. The two certificates contain similar information but that information is not identical. The name’s Barb provided from the family tree are the names as they appear in the certificate of your great grandmother.

It is unlikely that your great grandparents knew each other in Europe. Your great grandmother was from Southeastern Poland which today is part of Ukraine and your great-grandfather was from Northeastern Poland which today borders Belarus.

Mikołaj’s paternal grandfather was Ignacy (English: Ignatius) and his maternal grandfather’s name is difficult to determine because of the damage to the portion of the certificate where his name appears.

I hope this information helps you.

Wishing you success,

Dave
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:30 pm      Post subject: Re: Help in the search for the origins of my Polish great-gr

Hi Samir,
Thanks to Dave, I was able to find the place where Anisia was baptized. Unfortunately, there are no documents available online. I found church records from the parish Staromiejszczyzna and Dorofijowka, but the last year is 1865.

Regards,
-Barb

Anisia.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  402.82 KB

Anisia.jpg

Samir

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Help in the search for the origins of my Polish great-gr

Hi, Barb. Thank you very much! I am very grateful for the effort you and Dave are making to help me.

So, just to help me understand everything:

1) The Staromiejszczyzna parish, where Anisia was baptized, was a Polish territory when she was born, but today it is a Ukrainian territory?

2) Does this mean that Anisia lived in Staromiejszczyzna? I mean, that her parents lived there and she was born there.

3) If I want to seek official records about Anisia from local government bodies, I must contact the district of Podwołoczyski, in Ukraine?

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

BarbOslo wrote:
Hi Samir,
Thanks to Dave, I was able to find the place where Anisia was baptized. Unfortunately, there are no documents available online. I found church records from the parish Staromiejszczyzna and Dorofijowka, but the last year is 1865.

Regards,
-Barb

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:06 pm      Post subject:

Hello,
1. The area used to belong to Poland, but is now in Ukraine.
2. According to her passport, she was born and lived in Dorofijowka.
3. Greek Catholic St. Mikolaj parish in Staromiejszczyzna.

I will later check previous years in this parish. Maybe I'll find something about Anisja's parents and grandparents.
Now I will try to find a little more about Mikolaj.

-Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: