PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 pm      Post subject: WHAT IS IN A NAME Mirychat, Glondik/Glondack/Gondek?

Going thru info online I found the name Mirychat who was born on my grandpa's birthday, and Kunegonda, who was born on his sister Genevieve's birthday. Is Mirychat a Polish name for Michael? And Kunegonda for Genevieve or did my great grandma have 2 sets of twins? There are no other siblings listed in later years with the same birthdays. The last spelling of the last name is screwed up from Glondik, Glondack, Gontek, Gondack to finally Gondek. Somewhere along the way after registering for WW1, my grandfather changed it to Gondick.
Supposedly my grandfather has a twin that died at age 7, but there is no record that I can find in Detroit. Nor can I find record of him as a Detroit police officer who was shot by a tommy gun on his motorcycle, or the fact that he was stabbed 7 times on the beat. He was born supposedly Sept 16, 1898...in Wisconsin.
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:56 am      Post subject:

At this site you can find common Polish names and the English equivalent: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/namelist.html
There isn't always an equivalent, and when someone changed their name to a more English sounding name, they didn't always go with the equivalent name. Kunegunda was a saint, and there is no other name, just a different spelling. Michael is usually Michal or Miecyslaw; as with surnames, I'm sure there was a variety of spellings in records.
debkgem

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 pm      Post subject: familysearch.org is great!

as I have come to find out, Grandpa did not have a twin, he did have a baby sister that died at age 1 not 7, her name was Josephine. Elizabeth is listed with two different age differences, one being listed as adopted, with her birth location unknown. In one census she is 3 years older than grandpa, and in another census she is a year older. Grandpa and Aunt Gennie, were given Polish names, and rather crazy ones at that, and then they took on the names of Genevieve and Michael. Miracat/Mirychat and Konsigunda/ Kunegonda somehow did not last . Grandpa married Minnie in Nov 2, 1918 and had 2 daughters. Just before that, he and his father Bert registered for WW1 on the same day: Sept 12, 1918. Nettie must have gone with them, because she signed for grandpa to go. His birthdate is listed as Sept 16, 1898, which does correspond with the 1900 and 1905 census. So the question is: did Bert and Nettie have Lizzie out of wedlock or did they adopt her? Bert worked at an iron foundry in Detroit, called City Brass works, and Grandpa was a drill press operator at the Dodge Brothers. Marion, age 18, lived with grandpa and Grandma at least while the census was being taken in1940, while Dorothy lived with Bert and Nettie, in 1930 at the age of 9.
Confused
debkgem

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 pm      Post subject:

Now on to the Lippke name for a while!

Clara Agnes Lippke Gondick

Last edited by debkgem on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
debkgem

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:45 pm      Post subject:

upon further investigation and looking at the census, Marion Gondick, was incorrect on the census. My grandmother may have been trying to hide her step daughter, Dorothy, who was the correct age, by substituting her niece Marion's name, whom was only 9 years old at the time, not 18. Marion Puff, the daughter of Genevieve Puff, was living with grandma Nettie Gondick, aka Annastaysia in Reed City, MI..
införmation on familysearch.org
Simmo

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:04 pm      Post subject: Salamon

What would the origin of salamon be since it does not sound polish?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: