PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 am      Post subject: People from Wysoka near Lancut

Hello, i have been visited this forum for quite some time now, but I've never opened any topic. This time i would like to ask for bit of help. There were four far family members that went to USA, two brothers and two sisters from different family. I have already gathered some information about them, but right now my research stopped and i need some suggestions from advanced members:) I wish i could find where they lived in USA, if they had any family, and when died and see their naturalization records maybe. All people i search for were born in Wysoka village, near Łańcut, Poland.

First relative i want to talk about is Maria Michna. I have much information about her. She was born in Wysoka, emigrated to USA at young age in 1911/1912. The passenger list contains her name i would like to make sure that it's the right ship manifest, i didn't found any other one - could somebody decipher initial of her father on the ship manifest. Mary married John from Wysoka and they had three children, first of them was born in 1914 in Pittsburg. Their next living place was North Huntingdon, Westmoreland. I already have some info about Ipnar family, so i do not ask for it. I wish i could find Mary Ipnar obituary and her last residence if anybody could help:) She most likely died after 1962.
Reading from 1942 WWII draft registation card, John's family was living in Irwin, RD #3, PA (N Huntingdon, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania). Could it be that this road without name has been later named from family surname? There is the "Ipnar Road" located in the south part of Irwin town:)

During my research i found that there is available public access to marriage and court information from Westmoreland County here EGS Westmoreland, very useful site.

Sister of Mary, Weronika Michna emigrated to USA in her young age in 1919. She is going to her br-in-law John. Her parents were Michał Michna and Katarzyna but I dont know her date of birth (should be around 1903). She came to Poland in 1962 and came back to USA same year. I dont know what happened to her. Most probably she didn't get marry and had no family.

I will be grateful for any help or suggestions:)

Edit:
Thanks for assistance at my discoveries.

Last edited by sirdan on Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:03 am      Post subject: Re: People from Wysoka near Lancut

sirdan wrote:

First relative i want to talk about is Maria Michna. This passenger list contains her name: Maria Michna entry #5 - could somebody decipher initial of her father on the ship manifest. Is it written K? but should be M from her father Michał?

There is a passenger record on ellis island with Walenty Lzponar. I'm asking for help in deciphering where and who he was going to.

Sirdan,

Could it be that the K stands for Katarzyna, her mother? Maybe the EI clerk had already written 'father" on the relative column and Mary mentioned her mother's name, rather than her father's name. Was Michal already in the USA by then?

I read "cousin, Pr.... Antoni" and the place seems to be Connellsville, PA. The person on line #19 is going to the same address and mentions Antoni as his brother. Worth checking it.

Happy Easter!

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:19 am      Post subject:

Sirdan,
I have access to some old newspapers online. So far I have found John's obituary. It doesn't give much information, and I know that you wanted Maria's, so I will keep looking.
This was in the newspaper Connellsville Daily Courier on May 9, 1958
JOHN IPNAR
John Ipnar, 68, of Irwin, R. D.
4 (Kunkle's Crossroads), died at
his home. He was born in Poland
Sept. 22, 1889, and had resided in
Irwin since 1923, having moved
there from Pittsburgh. He owned
and operated his own farm in the
Irwin area for many years. He
was a member of the Immaculate
Conception Roman Catholic Church
of Irwin.
And yes, Ipnar road could have been named for the family name. I have ancestors in the U.S. who have roads by their family farm that have their names. I agree with Gilberto that Walenty was going to Connellsville.

Last edited by Cheri Vanden Berg on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:43 am      Post subject:

Sirdan,
I think I MIGHT have found Stanislaw's WWI draft registration. It is under the name Stanley Szpunar. That would most likely be Stanislaw's "English" first name. It said he was born in Visoka, which would kind of be the "English" spelling of Wysoka. He lived in Detroit and worked for the Ford Motor Co. Birth date May 8, 1891. If you need any look ups for the family in the census or anything, just ask. I know you've already done a great job of researching on your own!
Edziu340

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:47 am      Post subject: Wysoka Church Records,

I have the Wysoka church records for the village Wysoka for my family, Zawora. There are some of your surnames married into my family. Here is what I have, hope this helps you. I have a Michal Szpuner b.17,9,1864 m. 26,11,1890 d.11,2,1953 wife Franciszka Zawora b.2,2,1868 d.20,1,1935. Then I have a Katarczyna Zawora her first husband was Stanislaw Michna m.4,3,1886 d.20,6,1886 her second husband was Jakub Kaminski from Markowa m,.18,11,1886. Katarczyna Michna b,25,1,1871 m.13,11,1889 to Jan Zawora b.21,6,1862 Some of my family emigrated to Uniontown Pennsylvania area. I also have names and birthdates of children of these families. These records were copied by a cousin from the church records. They contain house numbers also.

Other Surnames I have in these records that are married into my family also are: Tachman, Kieler, Kuzniar, Preizner, Pusz, Wilk, Kilian, Szmuc, Kluz,
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:57 am      Post subject:

There is a Spunar monument at All Saints Braddock Catholic Cemetery in Pittsburgh http://tinyurl.com/c84e6qh
Here are the Spunars that are buried together. I also found them at Find-A-Grave http://tinyurl.com/csnqbqp

This is the Walenty that is in the Pennsylvania death index. He's about 10 years older than the Walenty that you found on a passenger record, and a draft registration. My grandmother from Poland had a different birth years on records, but not this big of a difference in years, so I don't know if this is the Walenty that you are searching for.
SPUNAR EMILIA V. 1896 1990 Wife - PANEK/SPUNAR monument
SPUNAR WALENTY 1882 1956 PANEK/SPUNAR monument
SPUNAR WALTER A. 1890 1955 Husband - PANEK/SPUNAR monument
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:19 pm      Post subject:

Here are John Ipnar's Declaration of Intention and Naturalization. Would you be interested in Joseph Ipnar's records too? I think that Joseph is John's brother.

Ipnar, John Petition Naturalization 1925.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Viewed:  14330 Time(s)

Ipnar, John Petition Naturalization 1925.jpg

Ipnar, John Petition Naturalization 1925 Page2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  451.97 KB

Ipnar, John Petition Naturalization 1925 Page2.jpg

Ipnar, John Declaration of Intention 1909.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  903.33 KB

Ipnar, John Declaration of Intention 1909.jpg

sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:10 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for all your effort and replies, i didn't expect such welcome:)

@Magroski49
If initial looks like "K" from Katarzyna, then it might be an error of clerk indeed.
Thanks for reading Walenty's relative as cousin. After giving it a look again, i see it as "cousin, Pusz Antoni". At entry #19 there is Pusz Błażej listed that goes to brother Pusz Antoni. Looks good now, i will search in Connellsville then.

@Cheri Vanden Berg
Thank you very much for John Ipnar obituary, i thought it would not exist. I have declaration of intention already and first page of petition naturalization of John. I have Joseph's Ipnar declaration and oath of allegiance on one screen. Joseph is John's brother that gone from Pittsburg to Arizona in 60's and married Helen (probably Soboń). Thanks to Arizona free death records, i know he died in 1956. Apart from birth record from Wysoka, have none info about Joseph family in usa. I have passenger records of both bros too.
I saw once WWI registration card, i didn't pay attention to it cause i have three Stanleys Spunars or more on cards. But only this one has written Visoka on it, i saw on the rest cards written Lancut, Austria or Russia. Definitely need to look closer to this particular one.
I have just realized that grave of Walenty Szpunar is probably of the person from WWII card Walentz Spunar from Lancut here . His date of birth is 1882, so matches with that from grave. Card stands Mr. Panek is close person to Walentz. I believe we can exclude him? Of course i agree that we should take dates on many records with a grain of salt.

@Edziu340
I'm happy to hear that you have family from Wysoka. All surnames you mentioned sound familiar to me of course. I see connection with Michno/Michna, Kluz, Szpunar, Tajchman, Kielar, Szmuc. May i ask how many copies of records You have? I have only ones from szukajwarchwach.pl which are dated from 1890 to 1894. Right now is late, i will dig in my papers tommorow to check the people you listed.

Thanx again for all.
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:38 pm      Post subject:

Phoenix Arizona Republic January 28, 1956
Joseph Ipnar
Rosary will be recited at 8 p.m.tomorrow in Palms Chapel of Grimshaw Mortuary, 334 W. Monroe,
for Joseph Ipnar, 62, who died Thursday in Good Samaritan Hospital. Requiem high mass will
be sung at 9 a.m. Monday in the Church of St. Agnes, 1902 N. 24th St. Burial will be in St. Francis
Cemetery. Born in Poland, Mr. Ipnar came to Phoenix in 1942 from Pennsylvania. He was an engineer for
Reynolds Metals Co. and lived at 1630 E, Harvard. He was a memberof the Polish National Alliance
and St. Agnes Parish. He is survived by his wife, Helen; a son, Harry Sobolski; and three daughters,
Miss Josephine, and Miss Bernice Ipnar, of Phoenix, and Mrs. Joseph Guido of New Kensington, Pa.;
a brother in Pennsylvania; and a brother and sister in Poland.

I wish it was this easy to find the obituary of Maria/Mary. I will try to find it.

I see that the Stanislaw Szponar, born about 1888 in Wysocka, arrived in New York On February 25, 1913
and was going to his cousin Jozef's in Pittsburgh. I wonder if the surname is Ipnar. It looked like it was
either that or Ignaz. Were some of the Ipnar and Szponar cousins? I am also confused about all the Stanislaw Szpunars.
Edziu340

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:58 pm      Post subject: Wysoka Church Records,

Sirdan,
I have two pages of records, mostly my family by house numbers including children. They include dates of birth, marriages, and dates of death. The surnames I listed are people who married into my family. These records were copied at the church from the original books and translated by my relative. I will have to look up how to scan and post them here.
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:04 am      Post subject:

@Edziu340
Added later: I have Wojciech Kochman (1803-1868) married to Katarzyna Zawora (1807-1883), her father is Jan Zawora married to Katarzyna Kluz. Addidtionally, one of John's and Joseph's Ipnar ggfather is Andrzej Zawora born around 1815.
At szukajwarchiwach.pl there are full records from 1890 to 1894 and death records only from 1856 to 1899. Write to me if you wanna have it.

@Cheri Vanden Berg
There is Stanisław Szpunar born 15 of may 1891 in Wysoka, birth record stands his parents are Jan Szpunar and Marianna. Day is not the same but could it be that one from Visoka? If so, then we can exclude him too.
Thanks again for Joseph obituary.
Cheri Vanden Berg

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:01 am      Post subject:

Yes, it looks like we can exclude the Stanislaw Szpunar whose parents are Jan and Marianna.

Were the parents of Walenty Marcin and Anna? Were Walenty and Stanislaw brothers? You don't know of any other children of Marcin and Anna that immigrated to the U.S.?

I have not found anything new, but I am not sure if we should exclude the Walenty on the WWII card. I know that the birth date is completely different from the WWI card, but what is the same is that he has the spelling SPUNAR for his surname.
Edziu340

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:24 pm      Post subject: Wysoka Families,

Reply to Sirdan: If you have the records mentioned and would be so kind to email them to me I would like to have them. There is a family from here in Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh from Wysoka that are Zaworas' but use the name Zavora. I think they may have a connection to Michna family. The Grandfathers name was Jan Zawora. You may want to check out their Ellis island records for more information.

Email= [email protected]
Edziu340

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:05 pm      Post subject: Re: Wysoka Church Records,

Edziu340 wrote:
Sirdan,
I have two pages of records, mostly my family by house numbers including children. They include dates of birth, marriages, and dates of death. The surnames I listed are people who married into my family. These records were copied at the church from the original books and translated by my relative. I will have to look up how to scan and post them here.

Here are the records I spoke of from Wysoka, near Lancut.

Zawora Residency Wysoka 1 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.8 MB

Zawora Residency Wysoka 1 copy.jpg

Edziu340

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:32 pm      Post subject: Re: Wysoka Church Records,

Edziu340 wrote:
Edziu340 wrote:
Sirdan,

Here are the records I spoke of from Wysoka, near Lancut.

Zawora Family Wysoka.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.44 MB

Zawora Family Wysoka.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: