PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:21 pm      Post subject: Place name on declaration of intention?

Greetings - I was wondering if anyone could confirm or even give an educated guess to the name of the place in this document that is listed before Galicia, Austria. Looks like "Lutrza" but I can't find any place named like that.

felix declaration of intention.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  felix declaration of intention.pdf
 Filesize:  756.56 KB
 Downloaded:  156 Time(s)

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:30 pm      Post subject: Re: Place name on declaration of intention?

davehon wrote:
Greetings - I was wondering if anyone could confirm or even give an educated guess to the name of the place in this document that is listed before Galicia, Austria. Looks like "Lutrza" but I can't find any place named like that.

Hi,
I agree with how you are reading what was written, it says "Lutrza." It is possible, however, that the town is actually Lutcza and that the writer spelled it incorrectly (twice). My opinion, based on the handwriting, is that the blanks on the form were filled in for Felix by someone else.
Sophia
davehon

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:22 am      Post subject: Re: Place name on declaration of intention?

Sophia wrote:
davehon wrote:

Hi,
I agree with how you are reading what was written, it says "Lutrza." It is possible, however, that the town is actually Lutcza and that the writer spelled it incorrectly (twice). My opinion, based on the handwriting, is that the blanks on the form were filled in for Felix by someone else.

Sophia

Thank you. A misspelling of Lutzca would make sense. I heard from my uncle that Felix always said he was from roughly near Krakow.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:33 am      Post subject: Re: Place name on declaration of intention?

davehon wrote:
Sophia wrote:
davehon wrote:

Hi,

Sophia

Thank you. A misspelling of Lutzca would make sense. I heard from my uncle that Felix always said he was from roughly near Krakow.

Hi,
Yes, that makes perfect sense to me, "roughly near Krakow." Today, if someone names a place I've never heard of, I go to Google Maps and I can see it. In the past, one would have to say that a place was close to somewhere that people had heard of. If someone did not know too many Polish cities to serve as reference points, your uncle might tell them that a relative was from a town "near Gdansk," well, ok, that's up in the north of Poland, on the coast. If he said "near Warsaw," that's pretty central. Saying "near Krakow" was indicating it was in the south.
I do not know whether you are familiar with Polish pronunciation or not, so I will add a comment on that. In Polish, the combination "trz" has a sound that is very similar to "cz" but not identical. For someone learning Polish, it can be difficult to differentiate between the words "czysta" and "trzysta" for example, unless it is in a sentence and you can deduce the meaning from the context. If you follow this link to Google Translate you can click on the audio icon and hear these two words, as well as Lutcza and Lutrza, pronounced. Yes, there is a difference in sound, but I would say they are quite similar.
https://translate.google.ca/?hl=en&tab=rT&sl=pl&tl=en&text=Lutcza.%0A%0ALutrza.%0A%0ACzysta.%0A%0ATrzysta.&op=translate
Best regards,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:30 am      Post subject: Re: Place name on declaration of intention?

Sophia wrote:
davehon wrote:
Sophia wrote:
davehon wrote:

Hi,

Sophia

Hi,
Yes, that makes perfect sense to me, "roughly near Krakow." Today, if someone names a place I've never heard of, I go to Google Maps and I can see it. In the past, one would have to say that a place was close to somewhere that people had heard of. If someone did not know too many Polish cities to serve as reference points, your uncle might tell them that a relative was from a town "near Gdansk," well, ok, that's up in the north of Poland, on the coast. If he said "near Warsaw," that's pretty central. Saying "near Krakow" was indicating it was in the south.
I do not know whether you are familiar with Polish pronunciation or not, so I will add a comment on that. In Polish, the combination "trz" has a sound that is very similar to "cz" but not identical. For someone learning Polish, it can be difficult to differentiate between the words "czysta" and "trzysta" for example, unless it is in a sentence and you can deduce the meaning from the context. If you follow this link to Google Translate you can click on the audio icon and hear these two words, as well as Lutcza and Lutrza, pronounced. Yes, there is a difference in sound, but I would say they are quite similar.
https://translate.google.ca/?hl=en&tab=rT&sl=pl&tl=en&text=Lutcza.%0A%0ALutrza.%0A%0ACzysta.%0A%0ATrzysta.&op=translate
Best regards,
Sophia

Hi davehon & Sophia,

The records for the parish of Lutcza are not indexed on Geneteka but here is a link to info about the parish and the location of the parish registers. https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=4502

If you’ve not seen the ecclesiastical record of his marriage to Maryanna here is a link to the record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6WJS-QMM?i=53&cc=1452409&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQVMJ-SQX5 The parish is St. Michael’s in South Chicago, Illinois which is now merged with Immaculate Conception. My family belonged to both those parishes.

Wishing you success,

Dave
davehon

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:30 pm      Post subject: Re: Place name on declaration of intention?

dnowicki wrote:
Sophia wrote:
davehon wrote:
Sophia wrote:
davehon wrote:

Hi,

Sophia

Hi,
Best regards,
Sophia

Hi davehon & Sophia,

The records for the parish of Lutcza are not indexed on Geneteka but here is a link to info about the parish and the location of the parish registers. https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=4502

If you’ve not seen the ecclesiastical record of his marriage to Maryanna here is a link to the record: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6WJS-QMM?i=53&cc=1452409&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQVMJ-SQX5 The parish is St. Michael’s in South Chicago, Illinois which is now merged with Immaculate Conception. My family belonged to both those parishes.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Thank you Dave. I have been pondering whether the parish would be the appropriate place to go if I sought his baptism record. Thanks to you I have a little more direction. I do have the ecclesiastical record already but I appreciate the tip very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: