PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:52 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

This is such a trove of help and information, wish Suzie was still around to see it all, she'd be squee-ing with glee!!!

Collette

Hi Collette,
I'm glad that you came to this forum. I enjoyed the conversation.
One last resource for you, although you may already be familiar with it since you've been researching in Pittsburgh for so long, is the digital collection from the University of Pittsburgh:
https://digital.library.pitt.edu/
You can search on your ancestors' names and get images of fun things like Pittsburgh city directories, church jubilee books, and so on.
Best of luck to you,
Sophia

Hi Sophia!

Thank you, I used to get to go straight to the source by the cathedral, that library was a saving grace for me in HS.

I was able to find somethings interesting/funny now that were in records about Julius (was switching which spelling was using or papers/bosses took liberties with it) but made the paper for getting a new car, picking up brother in-law, a friend, and a couple cases of beer- then joyriding! Laughing They ALL got arrested.

He and his in-laws shared property (neither houses have stood for my whole life, just the water meter) and they sued each other. So ya, can see where Agnes got it from.

But to find more pics of him, that would be amazing. Only have ones mainly from when my grandparents got married. I do have a studio sat picture of Poitr and Marianna. Ok photocopies of those pics. When my aunt died my uncle locked all she had up, she had the physical pics.she had made me the photo copies when we started searching, were supposed to get prints made.

Uncle has since passed (young-ish) and my cousin isn't sharing just yet.

Collette

Collette
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:51 pm      Post subject:

meowsrus wrote:

Whoa, you read my mind! I had just said to my daughter how I need to see if I can find those and when I check back in, surprise!! Thank you! Smile
Thank you! Because of Mateusz and Maryanna's ages, wondering if Poitr had older siblings.

But a question/thought that came to me- Dave you said 1808 was the point of change to search the records vs what was put in database? So when I was putting in Skarupski/ Skarupska/ Skorupski/ Skorupska in and was having 0 results,more than likely they moved to area from elsewhere after 1808?

Hi Collette,

The importance of the year 1808 is that no births or deaths for the parish of Łążyn have been indexed and thus births &deaths for that parish after 1808 cannot be found in any database. (Some marriages have been indexed for the years 1824-34 & 1836-47.) My take on the 15 year age difference between Mateusz & Maryanna is that either Mateusz was a widower when he married her or he had been conscripted into the Russian army and did not marry until he had been dismissed into the reserves.

I did go back to 1860 looking for other children and for a record of the marriage of Mateusz & Maryanna but found neither in the parish of Łążyn during those 8 years. However, there is some good news—I did find records from the Budny line going back a few generations. They are attached to this post.

The site to access records from Łążyn (which need to be browsed) is the site of the Włocławek branch of the Polish National Archives https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/

Wishing you happy & productive researching,

Dave

1849 #28 ur. Jadwiga Gawarkiewiicz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  531.83 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1849 #28 ur. Jadwiga Gawarkiewiicz.jpg

1847 #5 ur. Jakub Budny.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.59 KB

1847 #5 ur. Jakub Budny.jpg

1849 #4 malz. Walenty Gawarkiewicz & Tekla Wojciechowska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  435.34 KB

1849 #4 malz. Walenty Gawarkiewicz & Tekla Wojciechowska.jpg

1844 #3 malz. Jozef Budny & Julianna Majewska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  499.95 KB

1844 #3 malz. Jozef Budny & Julianna Majewska.jpg

1866 mar. Jakub Budny & Jadwiga Gawarkiewcz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  398.27 KB

1866 mar. Jakub Budny  & Jadwiga Gawarkiewcz.jpg

meowsrus

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:44 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

Whoa, you read my mind! I had just said to my daughter how I need to see if I can find those and when I check back in, surprise!! Thank you! Smile
Thank you! Because of Mateusz and Maryanna's ages, wondering if Poitr had older siblings.

But a question/thought that came to me- Dave you said 1808 was the point of change to search the records vs what was put in database? So when I was putting in Skarupski/ Skarupska/ Skorupski/ Skorupska in and was having 0 results,more than likely they moved to area from elsewhere after 1808?

Hi Collette,

The importance of the year 1808 is that no births or deaths for the parish of Łążyn have been indexed and thus births &deaths for that parish after 1808 cannot be found in any database. (Some marriages have been indexed for the years 1824-34 & 1836-47.) My take on the 15 year age difference between Mateusz & Maryanna is that either Mateusz was a widower when he married her or he had been conscripted into the Russian army and did not marry until he had been dismissed into the reserves.

I did go back to 1860 looking for other children and for a record of the marriage of Mateusz & Maryanna but found neither in the parish of Łążyn during those 8 years. However, there is some good news—I did find records from the Budny line going back a few generations. They are attached to this post.

The site to access records from Łążyn (which need to be browsed) is the site of the Włocławek branch of the Polish National Archives https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/

Dave

Dave you are an amazing investigator!

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, one of my main problems was relying on the database too much. The other was not knowing exactly which archive was correct one to search visually.

Yes, with their ages there are several explanations if Poitr was their only child, or if there was one even farther earlier, or later(?). My brain is the type to think of the 101 different reasons trying to elucidate what/why.

But my family history on mother's side at least has starting points. Julien's wife, Agnieszka Zielińska, I have a small amount of information that might help things along.

On my father's, well,took over half my life to learn just his father's name. I have some information that I've scoured together and have found they came from Grudna. His mother's side,don't even have a name.

Collette
meowsrus

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:55 pm      Post subject:

meowsrus wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

Hi Collette,

Dave

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, one of my main problems was relying on the database too much. The other was not knowing exactly which archive was correct one to search visually.

Yes, with their ages there are several explanations if Poitr was their only child, or if there was one even farther earlier, or later(?). My brain is the type to think of the 101 different reasons trying to elucidate what/why.

But my family history on mother's side at least has starting points. Julien's wife, Agnieszka Zielińska, I have a small amount of information that might help things along.

On my father's, well,took over half my life to learn just his father's name. I have some information that I've scoured together and have found they came from Grudna. His mother's side,don't even have a name.

Collette

Also, what I was asking earlier, about the database and 1808: prior to 1808, the records have been put into the database. Yes? Or no? (Making triple sure)

Because when I've searched it with all variations of Skarupski, none come up.

So basically asking if because that name(s) isn't coming up,they must have moved to area at some point after 1808 possibly from a nearby village?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:18 pm      Post subject:

meowsrus wrote:
meowsrus wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

Hi Collette,

Dave

Collette

Also, what I was asking earlier, about the database and 1808: prior to 1808, the records have been put into the database. Yes? Or no? (Making triple sure)

Because when I've searched it with all variations of Skarupski, none come up.

So basically asking if because that name(s) isn't coming up,they must have moved to area at some point after 1808 possibly from a nearby village?

Hi Collette,

The problem with searching for Skarupski on Geneteka is that the surname of your ancestors in Europe was spelled Skorupski. If you enter that spelling on a Geneteka search for the parish of Łążyn you’ll get quite a few hits for the years prior to 1808.

In regard to siblings of Piotr...I went back a bit further (to 1856) and found none. Given that his mother was 27 in 1867 she would have been too young to have been married and having children in or before 1856. Searching after the birth of Piotr is something you should do, if you want to.

The records prior to 1808 are in the form of a “sumariusz” (a summary) which was composed as an extract from records prior to 1808 and that is how they have been indexed in the database.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: