PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:11 am      Post subject: research in Poland

Have a question regarding names and the spelling, a branch of my tree started out with the surname Narucki and has morphed into Narudzki. Research has conflicting clues, yet my gut feeling says (2) different families. Research thru Genetka does not show the name Narudzki. Any thoughts? The search area is Podlaskie. Many thanks in advance for any light that may be shed on this subject.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:09 am      Post subject: Re: research in Poland

adamsam wrote:
Have a question regarding names and the spelling, a branch of my tree started out with the surname Narucki and has morphed into Narudzki. Research has conflicting clues, yet my gut feeling says (2) different families. Research thru Genetka does not show the name Narudzki. Any thoughts? The search area is Podlaskie. Many thanks in advance for any light that may be shed on this subject.

Hi Adamsam,
In a very recent post on the Latin translation thread, Dave referred to Fred Hoffman's book Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings which would be a good resource for addressing your question.
Without consulting the book, I will offer my "best guess" based on the sound of the two spellings you wrote here. I think that these two names were the same, if you're talking mid-1800s or so.
Looking at Geneteka (which is a very incomplete database), I see how rare these names are. There are many more people there with the Narewski surname (not surprising, given the Narew River) and it would be interesting to find out if your Narucki/Narudzki branched off from Narewski earlier on.
Your best bet is to gather as many documents on your ancestors as you can in a step-by-step process going backwards in time. It's the only reliable way of knowing how your name changed with time.
Good luck resolving it,
Sophia
adamsam

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:54 pm      Post subject: Re: research in Poland

Sophia wrote:
adamsam wrote:

Hi Adamsam,
In a very recent post on the Latin translation thread, Dave referred to Fred Hoffman's book Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings which would be a good resource for addressing your question.
Without consulting the book, I will offer my "best guess" based on the sound of the two spellings you wrote here. I think that these two names were the same, if you're talking mid-1800s or so.
Looking at Geneteka (which is a very incomplete database), I see how rare these names are. There are many more people there with the Narewski surname (not surprising, given the Narew River) and it would be interesting to find out if your Narucki/Narudzki branched off from Narewski earlier on.
Your best bet is to gather as many documents on your ancestors as you can in a step-by-step process going backwards in time. It's the only reliable way of knowing how your name changed with time.
Good luck resolving it,
Sophia
mm_88

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:28 am      Post subject:

If you are looking for your ancestors in Podlasie you should try this:
https://genpod.projektpodlasie.pl/
They have more records than Geneteka but remember to type male and female version of the surname.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: