PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 141

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:39 am      Post subject: Need help again with town name

Hi Everyon
Here is what I have:
Franciszka Chuda - born 8 October 1895. Parents: Michal Chudy and Magdalena Granda. She married Francizek Ostrowski and they lived in Pennsylvania. Have all the USA records for her.

Per Geneteka, she is from Rozniatow (Parish: Zarzecze)
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=09pk&rid=B&search_lastname=chudy&search_name=michal&search_lastname2=granda&search_name2=magdalena&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Her ship manifest is attached. It was the Ship: Lapland - 23 September 1911 - Arrival: Port of New York.

Is there microfilm for her town? There were several town with the name Zarzecze. Thank you for your help.
Trish

Franciszka Chuda Manifest p1.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.6 KB
 Viewed:  1347 Time(s)

Franciszka Chuda Manifest p1.gif

Franciszka Chuda Manifest p2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.67 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Franciszka Chuda Manifest p2.gif

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 844

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help again with town name

Trish wrote:
Hi Everyon
Here is what I have:
Franciszka Chuda - born 8 October 1895. Parents: Michal Chudy and Magdalena Granda. She married Francizek Ostrowski and they lived in Pennsylvania. Have all the USA records for her.

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=09pk&rid=B&search_lastname=chudy&search_name=michal&search_lastname2=granda&search_name2=magdalena&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Her ship manifest is attached. It was the Ship: Lapland - 23 September 1911 - Arrival: Port of New York.

Is there microfilm for her town? There were several town with the name Zarzecze. Thank you for your help.
Trish

Here you go! I looked, and she's here.

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/18219553

Best regards,
Sophia

P.S. You may already know this, but Franciszka did not travel alone on the Lapland. You provided snippets of her manifest, and I had difficulty reading one of them, so with your very good details of ship name and arrival date I went and looked at the manifest. She is on the last line of her page (List 9) and if you page forward to List 10, you will see Marya Musula and Magdalena Granda on the first two lines there. They are coming from the same town, but going to a different destination, Jersey City.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9TW-BSLC-5?i=304&cc=1368704
The second page of the manifest shows that they are going to the home of Josepha Granda, Magda's sister.
Interesting detail - - they had to wait for Josepha to come and get them, so they had a supper on the day of the ship's arrival, and a breakfast the next day before being released at 11 in the morning, as you can see from this page of the manifest:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9TW-BS2Y-Q?i=416&cc=1368704
Your Franciszka, who had a ticket to her final destination, was not subject to detention. Good planning! Not to say that Marya and Magdelena were not good planners, but since their destination was so local, it was common to not have a ticket but to wait to be picked up by family (typically, single women were subjected to this detention requirement whereas single men were not).
Trish

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:37 am      Post subject: Re: Need help again with town name

Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:
Hi Everyon
Here is what I have:

Trish

Here you go! I looked, and she's here.

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/18219553

Best regards,
Sophia

P.S. You may already know this, but Franciszka did not travel alone on the Lapland. You provided snippets of her manifest, and I had difficulty reading one of them, so with your very good details of ship name and arrival date I went and looked at the manifest. She is on the last line of her page (List 9) and if you page forward to List 10, you will see Marya Musula and Magdalena Granda on the first two lines there. They are coming from the same town, but going to a different destination, Jersey City.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9TW-BSLC-5?i=304&cc=1368704
The second page of the manifest shows that they are going to the home of Josepha Granda, Magda's sister.
Interesting detail - - they had to wait for Josepha to come and get them, so they had a supper on the day of the ship's arrival, and a breakfast the next day before being released at 11 in the morning, as you can see from this page of the manifest:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9TW-BS2Y-Q?i=416&cc=1368704
Your Franciszka, who had a ticket to her final destination, was not subject to detention. Good planning! Not to say that Marya and Magdelena were not good planners, but since their destination was so local, it was common to not have a ticket but to wait to be picked up by family (typically, single women were subjected to this detention requirement whereas single men were not).

Hi Sophia,

Thank you so much for the record information and all the extra tidbits. I'm going through all the information you posted.
I found Franciszka Chuda's birth record which I'm posting. I now need someone to verify the names for me.

I'm reading this as follows:
Franciszka Chuda - born 8 October 1895 - Baptized 13 October 1895 - Parish of Zarzecze. Father is Michal Chudy son of Antoni Chudy and Marianna Kit (I'm not sure of spelling. Also looks like she is deceased.) and the Mother is Magdalena Granda daughter of Marcin Granda and Sophia Dryniak (I'm not sure of spelling.)

Thank you again.
Trish
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:54 am      Post subject: Re: Need help again with town name

Trish wrote:

Hi Sophia,

Thank you so much for the record information and all the extra tidbits. I'm going through all the information you posted.
I found Franciszka Chuda's birth record which I'm posting. I now need someone to verify the names for me.

Franciszka Chuda - born 8 October 1895 - Baptized 13 October 1895 - Parish of Zarzecze. Father is Michal Chudy son of Antoni Chudy and Marianna Kit (I'm not sure of spelling. Also looks like she is deceased.) and the Mother is Magdalena Granda daughter of Marcin Granda and Sophia Dryniak (I'm not sure of spelling.)

Thank you again.
Trish

Hi Trish,
Here's a quick tip for figuring out surnames when you are unsure of what the writing says. Since you already know that this parish has some of its years of records indexed on Geneteka, go to Geneteka and do the following. Select Zarzecze from the list of parishes. Do not enter anything in the search boxes for surname or first name. Do the search. Now you have a listing of every person whose record was indexed for that parish. In the results table, click on the column header "surname" (then you will see a little blue triangle appear next to it) and it will sort the entries alphabetically by surname. Fast forward a few pages, and you will see that Dryniak is, indeed, a name that existed in that parish.
Helpful?
Sophia
Trish

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:59 am      Post subject: Re: Need help again with town name

Sophia wrote:

Hi Trish,
Here's a quick tip for figuring out surnames when you are unsure of what the writing says. Since you already know that this parish has some of its years of records indexed on Geneteka, go to Geneteka and do the following. Select Zarzecze from the list of parishes. Do not enter anything in the search boxes for surname or first name. Do the search. Now you have a listing of every person whose record was indexed for that parish. In the results table, click on the column header "surname" (then you will see a little blue triangle appear next to it) and it will sort the entries alphabetically by surname. Fast forward a few pages, and you will see that Dryniak is, indeed, a name that existed in that parish.
Helpful?
Sophia

Hi Sophia,
Once again thank you for your help and advice. I truly do appreciate it.

One quick question. Is there a video I can watch for the https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/ website? I'm still trying to figure out how this website works.

Thank you again and have a wonderful day!
Trish
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help again with town name

Trish wrote:

Hi Sophia,

One quick question. Is there a video I can watch for the https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/ website? I'm still trying to figure out how this website works.

Trish

Hi Trish,
I imagine there are tutorials out there, but I've not looked for them. I think it might be worthwhile for you to open a new thread asking about that, so that a wider group on this forum might see your question.
In retrospect, I think it would have been more helpful of me to give you a link to the whole set of church books for Zarzecze, 1891-1905, rather than just the year of Franciszka's birth, so here it is:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/zespol?p_p_id=Zespol&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&_Zespol_javax.portlet.action=zmienWidok&_Zespol_nameofjsp=jednostki&_Zespol_id_zespolu=128029
Sophia
Trish

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help again with town name

Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:

Hi Sophia,

Trish

Hi Trish,
I imagine there are tutorials out there, but I've not looked for them. I think it might be worthwhile for you to open a new thread asking about that, so that a wider group on this forum might see your question.
In retrospect, I think it would have been more helpful of me to give you a link to the whole set of church books for Zarzecze, 1891-1905, rather than just the year of Franciszka's birth, so here it is:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/zespol?p_p_id=Zespol&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&_Zespol_javax.portlet.action=zmienWidok&_Zespol_nameofjsp=jednostki&_Zespol_id_zespolu=128029
Sophia

Hi Sophia,
Thank you for the link. I already found all the children that were listed for Michal Chudy and Magdalena Granda. I added all their information to Family Search with the source information. So thank you again for all your wonderful help.

Have a great day!
Trish
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help again with town name

Trish wrote:

Thank you again.
Trish

Hi again Trish,
I read Michal's mother as Marianna Kic, rather than Kit. I do not see where you find a note of her being deceased. Perhaps you are looking at the notation of the name of the midwife, who was Marianna Kot.
Interesting to see the godparents for Franciszka, in relation to the family in the next entry for Karol Dressler. Lots of family ties, there.
Sophia
Trish

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:27 am      Post subject: Re: Need help again with town name

Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:

Thank you again.
Trish

Hi again Trish,
I read Michal's mother as Marianna Kic, rather than Kit. I do not see where you find a note of her being deceased. Perhaps you are looking at the notation of the name of the midwife, who was Marianna Kot.
Interesting to see the godparents for Franciszka, in relation to the family in the next entry for Karol Dressler. Lots of family ties, there.
Sophia

Hi Sophia,
I kind of figured out that Michal Chudy's mother was Marianna Kic. However, I am glad to have another set of eyes looking at it. Very Happy I also figured out that the other name was that of the midwife. Took me a while to figure it out. Once again, I'm thankful that you verified everything for me.

I did see connections with other people being sponsors with the surnames of Granda and Chudy as well as other poeple in the town with the same surnames. I copied all the records to keep as a reference.

I also noticed the mother, Magdalena Granda was listed with another surname, but the record matches the death of the first Jozefa. I'm going to go back through the records to see if I missed anything.

Thank you again for finding these records for me. Have a wonderful day!
Trish
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:54 am      Post subject: Re: Need help again with town name

Trish wrote:

I also noticed the mother, Magdalena Granda was listed with another surname, but the record matches the death of the first Jozefa.

Hi Trish,
I just went and looked at it. You are referring to the death of Jozefa Chuda, Akt 13, 1898.
You are quite right, the record has Jozefa's mother as Magdalena Chuda, maiden name Granda.
The Geneteka index is clearly in error on this one, showing her maiden name as Gorska (which happens to be the mother's maiden name in the record directly above Josefa's).
Perfect example of why you want to look at primary sources and not rely on indices to build a family tree.
Enjoy your weekend!
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: