PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:58 pm      Post subject: Questions about Civil & Church records

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone answer these questions for me? I'm especially curious about Civil records.

Are both Civil records and Church records held in the Archives?

How far back do Civil records go?

Where can I obtain a Civil record?

I am trying to find out if I can obtain a Civil death record for my g.g.g.grandfather, Stanislaw Ostrowski who died in 1871 in Marcinkowo (Mogilno). I have a Catholic Church record for his death. I would like the Civil record in hopes that it would state where he was born.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Trish
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Questions about Civil & Church records

Trish wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone answer these questions for me? I'm especially curious about Civil records.

I am trying to find out if I can obtain a Civil death record for my g.g.g.grandfather, Stanislaw Ostrowski who died in 1871 in Marcinkowo (Mogilno). I have a Catholic Church record for his death. I would like the Civil record in hopes that it would state where he was born.

Trish

Hi Trish,

In the Duchy of Posen (after 1848 the Province of Posen) until 1874 civil records were simply copies of parish registers (both Catholic & Protestant). From 1874 through the end of WWI civil records were created in free standing registry offices. In 1871 the ecclesiastical death record was the civil record. Three years later the keeping of civil records was no longer the responsibility of priests and ministers.

I hope this answers your question,

Dave
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:23 am      Post subject: Re: Questions about Civil & Church records

dnowicki wrote:
Trish wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Trish

Hi Trish,

In the Duchy of Posen (after 1848 the Province of Posen) until 1874 civil records were simply copies of parish registers (both Catholic & Protestant). From 1874 through the end of WWI civil records were created in free standing registry offices. In 1871 the ecclesiastical death record was the civil record. Three years later the keeping of civil records was no longer the responsibility of priests and ministers.

I hope this answers your question,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the response to my questions.
Have a wonderful day!
Trish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: