PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:46 pm      Post subject: Has the Geneteka website been hacked

I am seeing a lot of weird English words mixed in with Polish records that I have been researching and know that these are now different: words such as "You roll", "Squat", "Forge", "Hamper", "Lime Tree", "Roasted Legs", "Pony Kick", "Chunky" and more.

It is on both the Polish language and English language options. This is new and is on many pages that I have been researching for years. This was not there last week. My relatives names now have "Forge" instead of "Kuc" as well.

Can someone contact the Geneteka website - I don't speak Polish.

Thanks, Joanna

Last edited by JoLoBec on Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
C J Schmidt

Replies: 37

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:27 pm      Post subject:

I too have seen that over on Geneteka.

There must be a few indexers over there, that after they become exhausted from trying to read some of those document names that are illegible, just write the first thing that pops into their head. Others will put down at least the first letters then question marks on letters that are illegible.
They could write "illegible" or something of that sort. But some I have seen, borderline crude talk as they fill the gap.

I don't think it was a hack, just not thoughtful.
cjsulcoski

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Has the Geneteka website been hacked

JoLoBec wrote:
I am seeing a lot of weird English words mixed in with Polish records that I have been researching and know that these are now different: words such as "You roll", "Squat", "Forge", "Hamper", "Lime Tree", "Roasted Legs", "Pony Kick", "Chunky" and more.

It is on both the Polish language and English language options. This is new and is on many pages that I have been researching for years. This was not there last week. My relatives names now have "Forge" instead of "Kuc" as well.

Thanks, Joanna

Hi Joanna.
I think that it might be a bug and that in some cases, the website is translating the Polish names themselves into English. "Kuc" translates as "forge"; "Lipa" is "lime tree" and so on. My dad told me a long time ago that our name Pszczolkowski means "Bee" and sure enough, Bee = pszczoła

My guess is that they have to code all of the names to indicate that they should not be translated into English along with the rest of the words in the listing and that something got messed up.

Thanks.
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:05 am      Post subject: Re: Has the Geneteka website been hacked

cjsulcoski wrote:
JoLoBec wrote:

Thanks, Joanna

Hi Joanna.
I think that it might be a bug and that in some cases, the website is translating the Polish names themselves into English. "Kuc" translates as "forge"; "Lipa" is "lime tree" and so on. My dad told me a long time ago that our name Pszczolkowski means "Bee" and sure enough, Bee = pszczoła

My guess is that they have to code all of the names to indicate that they should not be translated into English along with the rest of the words in the listing and that something got messed up.

Thanks.

This happens when your web browser (Chrome, Edge) has the translation to English turned on. Turn it off or change it back to "show original". If you want the English version select the option (UK/USA Flag) in Geneteka.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: