PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 190

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:52 am      Post subject: When will Szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl be Available?

Right now, https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/ is not available. It gives you a image which says:

Trwaja prace modernizacyne.
Serwis chwilowo niedostepny.

This Translates to:

Modernization works are in progress.
Service temporarily unavailable.

My question is, when will it become available again?

Thanks,

Lucas Kernan
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:23 am      Post subject:

The unofficial information from people working in the Polish Archives is that it is possible that the site will not be available till the end of November.

There was a hacker attack and they need to improve their system's security.

Last edited by Zenon on Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
HelpTheFamily

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:02 am      Post subject:

Thanks for the information, Zenon. Hope you enjoy your day.

Best Regards,

Lucas Kernan
HelpTheFamily

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:43 pm      Post subject:

Now it says the following:

Od poniedziałku 21 listopada z serwisu Szukaj w Archiwach będzie można skorzystać w czytelniach Archiwów Państwowych w całym kraju

Jednocześnie w Narodowym Archiwum Cyfrowym, będącym administratorem serwisu, trwają intensywne prace nad przywróceniem dotychczasowej funkcjonalności i bezpiecznego dostępu użytkowników do strony.

Tymczasowe wyłączenie Szukaj w Archiwach zostało podyktowane względami bezpieczeństwa.

Za utrudnienia przepraszamy i prosimy o cierpliwość. Zachęcamy do korzystania z serwisu w czytelniach.

Which translates to:

From Monday, November 21, the Search in the Archives service will be available in the reading rooms of the State Archives throughout the country

At the same time, the National Digital Archives, which is the website administrator, is working intensively on restoring the existing functionality and safe access of users to the website.

The temporary disabling of Search in Archives was dictated by security reasons.

We apologize for the inconvenience and ask for your patience. We encourage you to use the service in reading rooms.
HelpTheFamily

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:33 am      Post subject:

GOOD NEWS!

From November 25, we are restoring universal access to Search in Archives in Poland!

All ICT work, necessary to re-produce the service in the country, have been completed.

In the next stage, access for users from abroad will also be restored.

We apologize for the temporary unavailability of the site and encourage you to Search in Archives.
namowionka

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:11 am      Post subject: Status please !!!

Does anyone know how soon the archive site will be available? I was hoping to present something to a relative at Christmas but I am running out of time. Is anyone aware if the archive has been shared with any other institution where I may be able to view documents from 1850 - 1900? Thank you.
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:15 am      Post subject: Re: Status please !!!

namowionka wrote:
Does anyone know how soon the archive site will be available? I was hoping to present something to a relative at Christmas but I am running out of time. Is anyone aware if the archive has been shared with any other institution where I may be able to view documents from 1850 - 1900? Thank you.

Access to the site is currently restricted to users from within Poland. Users from outside Poland are successfully using any one of the many VPN services out there, to circumvent this restriction. Your Norton-360 antivirus software has a built in Secure-VPN option that works - I just tried accessing the Szwarchiwach site using the Norton-360 built in VPN capability, and can confirm that it works.
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:22 pm      Post subject: Re: Status please !!!

PabianAus wrote:
namowionka wrote:

Access to the site is currently restricted to users from within Poland. Users from outside Poland are successfully using any one of the many VPN services out there, to circumvent this restriction. Your Norton-360 antivirus software has a built in Secure-VPN option that works - I just tried accessing the Szwarchiwach site using the Norton-360 built in VPN capability, and can confirm that it works.

Hi!
I just tried using McAfee Secure VPN and was able to get into the website.

Trish
namowionka

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:16 pm      Post subject: Thank you PabianAus and Trish

I changed my Norton 360 Secure VPN and I immediately gained access to the Archive. THANK YOU BOTH.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 658

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:51 am      Post subject: Re: When will Szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl be Available?

They say soon. Since the end of November, Polish registered PCs can use the site as before. Still not possible for us who live abroad. You can ask someone from Poland to send you what you need.
namowionka

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:24 pm      Post subject: Archives is available worldwide IF ...

The Archives is available worldwide IF you use Norton 360 Secure VPN, NordVPN, or another product that routes your Internet traffic through a server in Poland. I learned this through two users on this site. Both products that I named have a 7-day trial. I was able to get to the Archives site. Do NOT enter the Archives site if it is a violation of their Terms to use the Site from outside of Poland. I had a direct URL to the documents that I needed so I didn't see any Terms.

I am NOT familiar with the Archives site and can use some help from someone that is. Is there a primer somewhere on this site? Is there a place where I can type in a Surname and Region or District to see a list of records that exist in the Archives? I am looking for something like the search in Ancestry.com. I am not really interested in seeing the documents in Cyrillic.

In the case of a BIRTH then I am looking for the date, Surname and Given Name of the Child and the Parents' Names including Mother's Maiden Name.

In the case of a MARRIAGE then I am looking for date, both names including the Woman's Maiden Name.

In the case of a DEATH then I am looking for date and complete name.

SlupcaGeneology.com has a great, easy to use, interface for the Slupca area from about 1700 through 1900. I am looking for NEWER records. I know a lot about my Ancestors in Poland before 1900 but I am trying to locate newer records of relatives in Poland. I expect that most of the people that I am searching for resided with 10 miles of Slupca and Mlodojewo.

THANK YOU[/b]
j_lex

Replies: 50

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:24 pm      Post subject:

Namowionka - The BaSIA search engine covers Wielkopolska and will display results that link to Szukaj w Archiwach, among others. The Extended search option is pretty good for narrowing down searches by region. The results may display some of the information you are looking for.

http://basia.famula.pl/en/

As far as newer records, it is my understanding that Poland has more restrictive privacy rights than the United States so less is available.
trinkelson

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:29 pm      Post subject: Szukajwarchiwach down again?

I noted on reddit r/ancestry a couple of days ago that the site is down again, even for .pl users. Is this correct and does anyone have any better info regarding the cause and possible time frame when outside users will have access again? Without a VPN.
Thanks
aleksanderz
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 56

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:35 am      Post subject: Re: Szukajwarchiwach down again?

trinkelson wrote:
I noted on reddit r/ancestry a couple of days ago that the site is down again, even for .pl users. Is this correct and does anyone have any better info regarding the cause and possible time frame when outside users will have access again? Without a VPN.
Thanks

The website is online for us here in Poland. Perhaps there was a temporary maintenance? I have been using the website this week with no problems.

As for VPN, it will probably take at least several more months before the website is accessible without it. The hacking attempt was from a foreign country, there were attempts on all government websites and of course, one dedicated to Polish archives did not have as sophisticated defense system as more crucial websites and it needs to upgrade it.
C J Schmidt

Replies: 37

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:05 pm      Post subject: Szukajwarchiwach down again?

I had been able to use it the past couple of weeks by setting my VPN to Warsaw, Poland.
As of today 12-30-2022 the site no longer loads again.
Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: