PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:46 pm      Post subject: "Official" history of fire in Myszyniec

I am trying to find the official, or at least fully reliable, history or the fire in Myszyniec that destroyed parish records prior to 1900. Is there a newspaper article or police report, or other document that verifies the fire that destroyed records in Myszyniec & Ostralenka? Is there any other possible location for birth records, also conscription records, passport or immigration records? (I received notice a few years ago from PO that the fire had happened causing the destruction of parish as well as other civil records, however, I don't recall the source of the fire.)
Thank you for any help you can provide!

Theresa Wisk
mm_88

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:33 pm      Post subject:

Hello, I've found some information about the fire in this book http://www.otn.ostroleka.pl/images/Zeszyty/zeszyty33-min.pdf
Chapter 3 - The Myszyniec community during World War I

Here is a translation by Google translator:

German units operating in the vicinity of Myszyniec made further damage to this town. Building materials collected before the war, ready for the construction of a new temple, which were not plundered in 1914 by the Russians, were taken away. The same fate befell three wagons of lime, and the ceiling beams left over from the old church were used by the German authorities for their own purposes.
One of the church towers and the bell tower were damaged by artillery fire. The assessment of the losses of the 100% demolished church in Myszyniec, carried out after the war, was estimated at 5,290 rubles. In the absence of the possibility of visitation by the bishop, a decision was made in 1915 to establish the deanery of Myszyniec.
It included the following parishes: Myszyniec, Brodowe Łąki, Czarnia, Łyse and Zalas.
Myszyniec had already suffered heavy losses, set on fire by Russian troops marching towards East Prussia. At that time, some of the building materials prepared for the construction of a new temple were plundered, and the wood collected was plundered used by the Russians for their own needs.

In Myszyniec, which had 336 buildings before the war, only 102 survived the war, and the remaining 234 burned down. In December 1914, in the vicinity of Myszyniec, and especially in the neighboring commune of Wach, there were only ruins and ashes. On the second day of Christmas 1914, during the celebration of the Holy Mass. pastor of the Myszyniec parish, Fr. canon F. Karwacki with the vicars Fr. W. Skierkowski and Fr. H. Kamiński were forced to stop the service because the church was being shelled by German artillery. On July 14, 1915 Myszyniec was affected by a fire caused by subsequent fights.

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:52 am      Post subject:

mm_88 wrote:
Hello, I've found some information about the fire in this book http://www.otn.ostroleka.pl/images/Zeszyty/zeszyty33-min.pdf
Chapter 3 - The Myszyniec community during World War I

Here is a translation by Google translator:

German units operating in the vicinity of Myszyniec made further damage to this town. Building materials collected before the war, ready for the construction of a new temple, which were not plundered in 1914 by the Russians, were taken away. The same fate befell three wagons of lime, and the ceiling beams left over from the old church were used by the German authorities for their own purposes.
One of the church towers and the bell tower were damaged by artillery fire. The assessment of the losses of the 100% demolished church in Myszyniec, carried out after the war, was estimated at 5,290 rubles. In the absence of the possibility of visitation by the bishop, a decision was made in 1915 to establish the deanery of Myszyniec.
It included the following parishes: Myszyniec, Brodowe Łąki, Czarnia, Łyse and Zalas.
Myszyniec had already suffered heavy losses, set on fire by Russian troops marching towards East Prussia. At that time, some of the building materials prepared for the construction of a new temple were plundered, and the wood collected was plundered used by the Russians for their own needs.

In Myszyniec, which had 336 buildings before the war, only 102 survived the war, and the remaining 234 burned down. In December 1914, in the vicinity of Myszyniec, and especially in the neighboring commune of Wach, there were only ruins and ashes. On the second day of Christmas 1914, during the celebration of the Holy Mass. pastor of the Myszyniec parish, Fr. canon F. Karwacki with the vicars Fr. W. Skierkowski and Fr. H. Kamiński were forced to stop the service because the church was being shelled by German artillery. On July 14, 1915 Myszyniec was affected by a fire caused by subsequent fights.

Hi Monika,
I want to thank you for posting the link to this book. I am not researching Myszyniec, but there were two other articles in this book that were very interesting to me (through the help of Google translator, which is time-consuming but effective).
Best regards,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: