PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:53 pm      Post subject: Pescinski and Peszynski same?

I know someone here said the surnames Pescinski and Peszynski were not the same but this was several years ago. Can anyone here confirm whether they are the same or not? I am a Pescinski-Dobrosielski descendant, and there were so many spelling variants!
MikeP

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:50 am      Post subject: Pescinski and Peszynski same?

I checked William Hoffman’s “Polish Surnames “ 3rd edition. It appears that the two surnames are different. Peszyński (page 545) has as its name root the place name Pęszyno. Peściński (page 551) takes its name root from the verb pieścić = “to cuddle”.

MikeP
kahill1918

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:52 am      Post subject: Pescinski and Peszynski same?

Many thanks! I would say my Pescinskis were not cuddly. Sad
SandraJakubek

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:34 pm      Post subject:

It is possible that the surname Pescinski and Peszynski are variations of the same name, as surnames were often spelled differently in the past due to a lack of standardization in spelling. Additionally, many surnames were also changed or anglicized when immigrants came to new countries. In this case, Pescinski and Peszynski could be variant spellings of the same surname, but without more information it is difficult to say for certain. https://www.audytpsychologiczny.pl/czym-jest-myslenie-abstrakcyjne/

Last edited by SandraJakubek on Sun May 07, 2023 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 655

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:40 pm      Post subject:

I agree with Sandra!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Emigration All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: